PDA

View Full Version : Wedding DJs

robbiedj
28-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Last night we did a 65th birthday party in Leyton Orient's Olympic Suite. Nice size room, slight problem with 5 pairs of columns but not unsurmountable. Very nice people, invited us to join meal (said thank you but no) and gave us free drinks (accepted but water and coke were not going to break the bank :D ). All in all, a pleasant and successful evening.

But, downstairs in the bar was a wedding. Being naturally inquisitve, OK, downright nosey, we had to look in. :whistle:

Now, I don't criticise people for old lighting systems. Maybe he can't afford to update and if it works fine with me. We were rather taken aback by the myriad of wires dangling around him though! He also had a fondness for his own voice, talking over tracks and doing the "another ger..eat sound of the 70's" routine. But his music was OK, good mix of genre if a trifle loud.

But, what I can't forgive is turning up for a wedding in a scruffy blue T-shirt. :eek:

And, no, he wasn't a youngster. He was at least 35, so no excuse of inexperience.

CRAZY K
28-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Last night we did a 65th birthday party in Leyton Orient's Olympic Suite. Nice size room, slight problem with 5 pairs of columns but not unsurmountable. Very nice people, invited us to join meal (said thank you but no) and gave us free drinks (accepted but water and coke were not going to break the bank :D ). All in all, a pleasant and successful evening.

But, downstairs in the bar was a wedding. Being naturally inquisitve, OK, downright nosey, we had to look in. :whistle:

Now, I don't criticise people for old lighting systems. Maybe he can't afford to update and if it works fine with me. We were rather taken aback by the myriad of wires dangling around him though! He also had a fondness for his own voice, talking over tracks and doing the "another ger..eat sound of the 70's" routine. But his music was OK, good mix of genre if a trifle loud.

But, what I can't forgive is turning up for a wedding in a scruffy blue T-shirt. :eek:

And, no, he wasn't a youngster. He was at least 35, so no excuse of inexperience.

35--a baby :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Whilst we all aspire to higher professional standards--rasing the bar and all that ;)

-- were the punters really lovin it---or sitting down.:confused:

On a recent poll I believe some of us reckon the job of an Entertainer is to understand the clients needs and deliver it--was he doing that?

Not just turn up with badged equipment and the latest lights wearing a tuxedo.

Did this bloke---despite all his presentational shortcomings---have the place rocking?

There may also be the M factor here--MONEY, maybe this guy does a cheap effective job because he doesnt spend anything on equipment, lights, clothes--but was affordable to the B and G.

PLI and PAT a different matter of course-I have been known to whack the volume up a bit if the punters are a bit slow starting at Weddings--and thats just on the Gay Gordons:D :D :D

This is just a humourous personal observation and may not be shared by many others:D

CRAZY K

robbiedj
28-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Did this bloke---despite all his presentational shortcomings---have the place rocking? No

There may also be the M factor here--MONEY, maybe this guy does a cheap effective job because he doesnt spend anything on equipment, lights, clothes--but was affordable to the B and G. As I said he might not be able to afford to upgrade his lights. But a plain white shirt is not expensive. Go to ASDA and see!

CRAZY K

I do feel a little more effort on appearance could work wonders!

Our function was "smart casual" which meant black shirt and trousers for me, black trousers and cream top for Carol.

Obviously the average DJ in there has been low key, as the Function Manager was amazed to see deck stand and a starcloth and remarked on the securing and neatness of cables. She said she would be recommending us in future.

She had already been surprised that I bothered to check the suite before the event, just to see size, access etc. Nobody had ever done that .

Megamix
28-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I have to agree, T-Shirt for a wedding is not cricket

rob1963
28-03-2010, 10:55 AM
A DJ wearing a scruffy t shirt (or ANY t shirt) at a wedding? Unbelievable!

My own dress code is to wear similar clothes to what most people at the function will be wearing, as that way I blend in rather than stand out.

This means that at my wedding on Friday I wore my usual suit with a long sleeved white shirt & tie.

However, last night was a 40th birthday party in a local tennis club, so I wore a pair of smart dark blue jeans and a polo shirt, and again I blended in nicely.

BeerFunk
28-03-2010, 10:55 AM
That is poor, but I would put his attire down to ignorance and inexperience, despite his apparent age. I wonder how many other wedding DJs he's seen?

Personally, I'd never wear a t-shirt to any paid gig, let alone a wedding.

simonp
28-03-2010, 11:02 AM
thought you describing rob james before the blue t-shirt comment :lol:

rob1963
28-03-2010, 11:04 AM
thought you describing rob james before the blue t-shirt comment :lol:

I must admit that when I read the first bit about lighting systems so did I!

:Laugh:

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Although I don't think it is acceptable to be wearing a t shirt at a wedding, there could have been any number of reasons why he was. The bride and groom might have told him it was casual dress or he might have known them etc.

OllieJames
28-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I personally wouldn't wear a scruffy t-shirt at any gig. I always make a point of wearing a shirt whether it's casual or not. Usually a white shirt & tie/bow tie or a casual shirt depending on the gig and how well I know the client.

E.g. I'm doing a friends wedding, just because I know them REALLY well, it doesn't mean I'm not going to dress up smartly for their wedding? I believe that if you dress smart it gives the client/guest a good impression.

When I went to setup at my gig last night, I arrived in a t-shirt, jeans, trainers and jacket. Once I'd finished setting up, I informed the client and the venue owner that I'd be coming back 'suited & booted' to which they seemed surprised, as like they're used to having DJs with scruffy attire all the time? :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-03-2010, 11:58 AM
When I went to setup at my gig last night, I arrived in a t-shirt, jeans, trainers and jacket. Once I'd finished setting up, I informed the client and the venue owner that I'd be coming back 'suited & booted' to which they seemed surprised, as like they're used to having DJs with scruffy attire all the time? :confused:

We get this all the time. Presentation is so important - I don't know why some DJs don't realise that.

Charlie Brown
28-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I have become a bit more slap dash.

I used to wear a full suit, for every gig I did, even Children's & School parties.

I now only wear a suit for more formal attire's - Wedding's, Birthday parties (if they are older than 21) etc etc.

For 18ths and gigs similar, it's normally black or dark blue jeans, brown pointy shoes, brown belt and a stripy shirt....

DiscoPromotions
28-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I think everyone has their own preference on what they wear.

Us, wedding/corporate events is usually shirt, trousers and shoes...

Other events really, jeans, shoes and polo; however, always got a shirt and trousers in the cab of the van; just in case.

DJ's who do not have a smart appearance do not really care. They are just there for the money first, client last.

If they spent more than £100 on him from what has been described; they certainly did not get value for money...

MagicMusic
28-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I dress in relation to the type of function and client. For weddings i'd do black shirt / kilt combo.

I basically dress as I would if I was going somewhere trendy for a night out.

Sometimes I think it looks a bit ridiculous when the DJ is over - dressed.

I for one get far to hot and bothered in a suit / shirt / tie and long sleeves is a definite no - no in any circumstances. I always end up rolling them up so that they don't hit / get caught on faders etc.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Sometimes I think it looks a bit ridiculous when the DJ is over - dressed.

And you wear a kilt?

:lol:

MagicMusic
28-03-2010, 12:45 PM
And you wear a kilt?

:p

I'm not going to get to hot and botheed in a kilt am I? :)

Seriously though my kilt is a fashion / casual effort and I wear a short sleeve black shirt (open collar :eek: ) with it. I don't go for the whole 'price charlie' look.

Kernow
28-03-2010, 12:48 PM
And you wear a kilt?

I basically dress as I would if I was going somewhere trendy for a night out.

It's the look for this season, very Gok Wan ? ;)

Back on topic, I wonder if this is yet another case of a fellow DJ noticing something to which the rest of the room is oblivious, as they're too busy enjoying themselves ?
:D

spin mobile disco
28-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I did once have to whera a Tishirt for a wedding. To be fair though the evening was over running by 3 hours and it was a mad rush to setup so they could get 1 hour of music. I did ask the groom if he minded and he said he didnt care as long as I got the music on as quick as i could.

But Idid still have black trousers and the T-shirt was black with no writing on. But still felt odd to DJ in a T-shirt.

Babybob
28-03-2010, 01:28 PM
A DJ wearing a scruffy t shirt (or ANY t shirt) at a wedding? Unbelievable!

My own dress code is to wear similar clothes to what most people at the function will be wearing, as that way I blend in rather than stand out.

This means that at my wedding on Friday I wore my usual suit with a long sleeved white shirt & tie.

However, last night was a 40th birthday party in a local tennis club, so I wore a pair of smart dark blue jeans and a polo shirt, and again I blended in nicely.

Summed up rather well methinks Rob.

I always wear a shirt and tie for weddings and shirt/trousers for engagements etc. If I do a kids party it's jeans and a shirt.
I think a dickie bow is a bit over the top but if it's for a corporate event then maybe it would pass unnoticed. :)

dj keevers
28-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Formal wear only for a weddng so i dont look out of place at the bar or walking through function room, but i got a day glow shell suit for my 90s nights. Lacoste i think it is

CRAZY K
28-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Probably dressed in Jeans, Check shirt and Cowboy Hat--that would be me then

:D :D :D

I did a stonking Wedding Barn Dance in the vaulted Barn a few years ago, great atmosphere before you even start :D

Have they still got the diabolical road leading up to the place:eek:

CRAZY K