PDA

View Full Version : bar/club dj's

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 09:30 AM
does anyone play regular in bars and/or clubs what do you think this is like in comparison with the mobile disco world?

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 12:23 PM
any advice on going from discos to bars???

Corabar Entertainment
26-06-2006, 12:32 PM
In my experience, people usually do it the other way round.

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 01:00 PM
really why do you think that is then?

Corabar Steve
26-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I got fed up playing the same tracks to the same crowd every week, If I played something different to vary things nobody danced.

When I left my last club job I had a couple of years off & then got into mobile work. (far more varied)

Corabar Entertainment
26-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Clubs/Bars tend to be the younger age-group DJing (as well as clientele), and many DJs who want to carry on working, or who want to expand their repertoire move into mobile after doing the club/bar bit.

Corabar Steve
26-06-2006, 01:32 PM
That too :embarasse :embarasse

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 01:35 PM
i see.
im looking to moving to working in bars but it seems really hard to get decent jobs in bars any advice on this???

Have a disco
26-06-2006, 02:11 PM
bar work is very under-rated and underpaid. you also need to keep a current demo of your self as jobs come and go alot quicker, as its the DJ that usually gets shoved rather than the style. and in all honesty, as much as you keep up todate with the new tunes the less you end up earning, as they dont buy the tunes for you you have to which aint cheap. you are also stuck playing fewer genres in a night

I started in mobiles, and went into clubland which is very bitchy and dog eat dog for DJ's. if you expect to end up working local forget it luminar leisure now rotate there DJ's countrywide, Brannigans only have a DJ for 3 months max then move them on as to stay fresh.

Im virtually back to mobiles now but still do lots of international stuff and guest spots here and there I will earn more this way in the long run

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 03:12 PM
so not very highly recommended then???
but can you get disco gigs all year round? i know december is busy for mobile discos i remeber last december playing nearly everday, but what about the rest of the year?

Corabar Entertainment
26-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, it's like in any profession working for yourself. When you start out, it's hard work to get a lot of jobs, but the more you do, the more your reputation grows and the more repeat bookings and recommendations you get.

Yes, work is more scarce in some months than others, and obviously work is far more plentiful at the weekends. Why not try getting the club/bar work during the week and do the mobile work at weekends? If you are just starting out, it might be easier to get a mid-week spot in a good club/bar when they are quiet. IMHO, it would be better to get mid-week work in a good club/bar, than a prime slot in a not-so-good club/bar. Then you could see which takes off / which you prefer before commiting yourself either way.

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 03:45 PM
thanks that sounds like good advice

Have a disco
26-06-2006, 06:58 PM
so not very highly recommended then???
but can you get disco gigs all year round? i know december is busy for mobile discos i remeber last december playing nearly everday, but what about the rest of the year?

Not saying its not reccommended just 10 times more competition always waiting to steal your DJ crown. I ditto what corbar says get your reputation up with your disco weekends and do thursdays or any weekday til you are established enogh to go for prime nights. Xmas is normally busy for many disco's as are the wedding seasons

dj andy allwood
27-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Not saying its not reccommended just 10 times more competition always waiting to steal your DJ crown. I ditto what corbar says get your reputation up with your disco weekends and do thursdays or any weekday til you are established enogh to go for prime nights. Xmas is normally busy for many disco's as are the wedding seasons

thanks for all the advice people i will take note :note: note get it???? anyway can anyone recommend and dj agencie people for bar work etc or should i just walk into a bar and say gis a job :teeth:

canary karaoke
27-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Try Event Uk they do venues like Yates. Email [email protected] for details

dj andy allwood
27-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Try Event Uk they do venues like Yates. Email [email protected] for details

thanks i will do that, have you had any work from them???

Paul James Promotions
27-06-2006, 11:10 AM
thanks i will do that, have you had any work from them???

Get in contact with them, ask to be put onto their mailing list. Every few days they send out a list of work available across the UK.

dj andy allwood
27-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Get in contact with them, ask to be put onto their mailing list. Every few days they send out a list of work available across the UK.

thanks for your help :teeth:

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I ditto what corbar says
There's an A in Corabar! Have Disco :teeth:

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Im virtually back to mobiles now but still do lots of international stuff and guest spots here and there I will earn more this way in the long run
& with internet access being what it is these days when you go abroad it's just like being at home! :teeth:

dj andy allwood
04-07-2006, 07:37 AM
just want to say thanks to canary karaoke & whitehousejamie for there help with event uk im now on there mailing list cheers guys!!!

Creature
05-07-2006, 01:07 AM
ive done some bar work and i found it to be very hit n miss. did some over grantham at a pub and it was a nitemare - yet i do a small pub in small village 20 mins away and its totally the opposite

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 07:42 AM
i guess its just the luck of the draw then!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 08:22 AM
i guess its just the look of the draw then!!!

Or luck even... :teeth:

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Or luck even... :teeth:

sorry it was early this morning i wrote that :embarasse

Have a disco
05-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Im working with Event UK as well hope we meet up some time when the double DJ LOL

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Im working with Event UK as well hope we meet up some time when the double DJ LOL

when the double dj???

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2006, 01:02 PM
when the double dj???

Not a clue... :teeth:

Anyone?

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Not a clue... :teeth:

Anyone?

maybe when you have had to many drinks and you see 2 dj's?
double dj's? :embarasse

Have a disco
05-07-2006, 01:28 PM
No No dafty sometimes they hire 2 DJ's for the same place for promotion nights etc etc

dj andy allwood
05-07-2006, 01:38 PM
No No dafty sometimes they hire 2 DJ's for the same place for promotion nights etc etc

oh i see :teeth: well you never know its a small world well its not that small but you know what i mean :)