PDA

View Full Version : Can you unpartition a drive or do you have to re-format?

scoopd
05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Just curious:)

DiscoPromotions
05-04-2010, 02:54 PM
What is your overall objective. The reason why I ask is that the question can be answered in many ways.

BeerFunk
05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
The short answer is yes, but as already mentioned, it depends on a whole number of factors in your drive configuration :)

scoopd
05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
What is your overall objective. The reason why I ask is that the question can be answered in many ways.

To have all my mp3's on one drive as a back up

DazzyD
05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
The way to do it also depends on what OS you are using. You can simply delete the contents of a partition you no longer need, delete the partition itself and increase the size of the partition you do need to use up the "free" space that you've just created.

Does that make sense?

scoopd
06-04-2010, 08:14 AM
The way to do it also depends on what OS you are using. You can simply delete the contents of a partition you no longer need, delete the partition itself and increase the size of the partition you do need to use up the "free" space that you've just created.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does.It's XP Home on this particular laptop. can you tell me where I would increase the size?

Megamix
06-04-2010, 08:43 AM
You can use programs like Partition Magic or a Linux Live CD to repartition a drive - theres an article on the Linux approach here http://preview.tinyurl.com/dkxy9 - (click on the link within this site)

scoopd
06-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I did use partition magic a few years ago and it all went horribly wrong but I guess as long as it's just one click it should be ok?

It's a 110 gb hard drive when you put the 2 partitions together. How much space do I need to leave for a happy OS?

Megamix
06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
depends - 5gb minimum probably - as long as you remember not to install things on there - with 110gb - 10gb would be plenty and room to manoeuvre