PDA

View Full Version : Law About House Partys ?

Booche
08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi all as the post says what laws do we have to follow for doing a house party as ive just been booked for a girls 21st :D and its my first house party so wondered what type of things ill need to sort out or look out for etc, pli,produb,what about music loudness after certain hours ?

things like that if anyone can advise or help would be very welcomd :)

Cheers Dave :)

Tony Scott
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
just don't go too bass heavy, you WILL get the police attending (usually after 11pm) but they can't actually do anything unless they are accompanied by environmental health.... however it's good policy to not wind them up! :D

I regularly do house parties till 4 or 5am and find as long as you have somebody sensible on the door to deal with the police and turn the volume down a bit while they are there then they just let you get on with it.

A bigger problem is pished up party people being rowdy in the street in my experience. :)

Booche
08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Cheers Tony, think ill have to leave my big class d's at home then lol yeah if anyone is pished up then i shall have a word witht he organiser and explain the situation, just hope theres enough room in the house lol

Cheers again mate Dave :)

Disco Tech Liverpool
08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Make sure you have a PRS license as the house certainly wont have one. You don't want to get done or have your gear confiscated fpr not having the broadcast license that normally comes with the venue.

Booche
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Make sure you have a PRS license as the house certainly wont have one. You don't want to get done or have your gear confiscated fpr not having the broadcast license that normally comes with the venue.

Just been looking into that mate thankyou :)

cheers Dave :)

Edit: just seen this and thinking this may apply:

10. Private family events

PRS for Music does not make a charge for functions of a purely domestic or family nature, such as wedding receptions, christening parties or domestic birthday parties, when:

* Attendance of guests is by personal invitation only (except for staff, performers, etc.)
* The function is held in a privately-booked room, not at that time open to the general public
* There is no form of charge made for admission
* There is no financial gain to the function’s organiser or host (e.g. the person hiring the venue)

Tony Scott
08-04-2010, 10:17 PM

Just been looking into that mate thankyou :)

Edit: just seen this and thinking this may apply:

PRS for Music does not make a charge for functions of a purely domestic or family nature, such as wedding receptions, christening parties or domestic birthday parties, when:

* Attendance of guests is by personal invitation only (except for staff, performers, etc.)
* The function is held in a privately-booked room, not at that time open to the general public
* There is no financial gain to the function’s organiser or host (e.g. the person hiring the venue)

Was just about to mention that when you edited your post..... you don't need PRS for a house party as it's not a public area, same applies for a marquee wedding in somebody's garden. :)

Corabar Steve
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
& going back to your first post, ProDub has no relevance to performance

Excalibur
08-04-2010, 10:20 PM
just don't go too bass heavy, you WILL get the police attending (usually after 11pm) but they can't actually do anything unless they are accompanied by environmental health.... however it's good policy to not wind them up! :D

I regularly do house parties till 4 or 5am and find as long as you have somebody sensible on the door to deal with the police and turn the volume down a bit while they are there then they just let you get on with it.

A bigger problem is pished up party people being rowdy in the street in my experience. :)

Work round here in rural East Yorkshire. ;) :D :D Decorate a barn, invite everybody in a two mile radius, organise a bar and a hog roast, job done. Simples. :beer1: :beer1: :D :D :D :D

Tony Scott
08-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Work round here in rural East Yorkshire. ;) :D :D Decorate a barn, invite everybody in a two mile radius, organise a bar and a hog roast, job done. Simples. :beer1: :beer1: :D :D :D :D

I fully expect an invite to the next one then Peter, sounds excellent! :approve: My brother-in-law will put me up as he lives in Morley, not far from you is it? It's all up north anyway! :D

Booche
08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Was just about to mention that when you edited your post..... you don't need PRS for a house party as it's not a public area, same applies for a marquee wedding in somebody's garden. :)

Was thinking and hoping that applies but wanted to make sure as its being away from a venue and is all new to me lol

& going back to your first post, ProDub has no relevance to performance

Was just covering everything better safe then sorry :)

Cheers guys :)

Corabar Entertainment
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
To expound on Steve's comments: ProDub has nothing to do with where or when you perform.

If you are format shifting, then you need one (ie ripping CDs, vinyl, making copies of MP3s, etc) - regardless of where or when you perform :)

rob1963
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
In my experience, the biggest problem with house parties is clients wanting you to go on after the time you're booked until.

The last house party I did went on an extra 90 minutes, and the one before that more than two hours extra.

It's all very well saying the extra money is nice, but not when you're completely knackered!

Excalibur
08-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I fully expect an invite to the next one then Peter, sounds excellent! :approve: My brother-in-law will put me up as he lives in Morley, not far from you is it? It's all up north anyway! :D
Morley!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That's over the border, in the West Riding. ;) :D :D :D :D That's nearly as bad as Lancashire or Lincolnshire. :D :D

In my experience, the biggest problem with house parties is clients wanting you to go on after the time you're booked until.

The last house party I did went on an extra 90 minutes, and the one before that more than two hours extra.

It's all very well saying the extra money is nice, but not when you're completely knackered!

Wuss! :p :p :p :p :p Round here the gig finishes when the last one falls over. ( Or when the DJ falls over. :D :D :D )

Tony Scott
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Lol... I'm normally the the last person standing at the house parties I do, I normally don't stop till it's light!! :D

Booche
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
To expound on Steve's comments: ProDub has nothing to do with where or when you perform.

If you are format shifting, then you need one (ie ripping CDs, vinyl, making copies of MP3s, etc) - regardless of where or when you perform :)

Oh i know that Angela but i just wanted to cover my my back 110% :)

and Rob the client has booked me from 7:30pm till 2am and when i re-read the times she automatically replyed you can go earlier if you would like :eek: so either she meant its up to me what time i want to finish OR dropping hints to leave the setup and they carry on ( NOT LIKELY LOVE ) lol

Just in two minds which setup to take now, speakers,lights etc lol

Excalibur
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Lol... I'm normally the the last person standing at the house parties I do, I normally don't stop till it's light!! :D

Same hymnsheet here then. ;) In days gone by, that was a very regular occurrence. ;) ;) ;)

Tony Scott
08-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Just in two minds which setup to take now, speakers,lights etc lol

I normally just take some uplighting, an impossibLed and a pair of speakers on stands. I have some old wharfdale monitors that I use. Heres a couple of pictures from one I did last year.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-04-2010, 11:11 PM
A fine pair of monitors shown in the photos. :thumbsup:

StarZSoundS
08-04-2010, 11:31 PM

The guy in the blue jumper looks like he's about to polish one of them too!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tony Scott
08-04-2010, 11:48 PM

The guy in the blue jumper looks like he's about to polish one of them too!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol:

Tony Scott
09-04-2010, 12:18 AM
A few more as promised in PM, as you can see you don't need much light at a house party.

Booche
09-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Excellent Tony will use that idea you gave me ;) plus i might take the scanners just in case its a huggggge room lol

Cheers again buddy im very greatfull :)

Dave :)

Kernow
09-04-2010, 09:30 AM

Just be aware of the volume levels though ;)

Both PRS & PPL waivers apply only in respect of those attending the function.
If the music is audible in other houses in the neighbourhood or to passers-by on the street then it will constute a public performance for which you will need both. Remember ,by making a charge for your services, the responsibility for both would be yours alone. :)

JTRS
09-04-2010, 10:43 AM
If the music is audible in other houses in the neighbourhood or to passers-by on the street then it will constute a public performance for which you will need both. Remember ,by making a charge for your services, the responsibility for both would be yours alone. :)

Is that correct?

If so, does a 'boy racer' sat in a car with his boom boom music on loud need a PRS / PPL licence then?

If not, what's the difference?

JTRS

rob1963
09-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Is that correct?

If so, does a 'boy racer' sat in a car with his boom boom music on loud need a PRS / PPL licence then?

JTRS

I was thinking the same thing.

Also, what about when your neighbour has their radio on and the windows open?

:confused:

Excalibur
09-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Also, what about when your neighbour has their radio on and the windows open?

:confused:

At one time the numbers was vital. Over a certain amount, and it became a Public Performance. One of the ones was if a queue for a hot dog van had say eight people in it, that would be a Public Performance. I'd guess the rules have now changed.

My brother was warned he'd need a licence to play the radio in his garage business, and my hairdresser has a copy of her licence posted on the wall.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-04-2010, 11:13 AM
my hairdresser

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:lol:

Excalibur
09-04-2010, 11:15 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

:lol:

Yeah yeah yeah, like I wasn't expecting that one. :p :p

Jonathan Ford
09-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Is that correct?

JTRS

Boom boom boy racer isn't charging us (or somebody else) for the privilege!

rob1963
09-04-2010, 11:43 AM
My brother was warned he'd need a licence to play the radio in his garage business, and my hairdresser has a copy of her licence posted on the wall.

I know they've been cracking down on radios in business premises, but that's a whole different ball game. I'm talking about radios on PRIVATE premises where the windows happen to be open & you can hear the radio if you walk past outside.

Kernow seems to be suggesting that if people outside a private property can hear music being played inside it, the appropriate public performance licences are required...which I don't think is the case.

Excalibur
09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I know they've been cracking down on radios in business premises, but that's a whole different ball game. I'm talking about radios on PRIVATE premises where the windows happen to be open & you can hear the radio if you walk past outside.

Kernow seems to be suggesting that if people outside a private property can hear music being played inside it, the appropriate public performance licences are required...which I don't think is the case.

Ah, but if somebody is being paid to provide that music............................................. .......Public Performance. Think that's his logic.

Kernow
09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
;)
Ah, but if somebody is being paid to provide that music............................................. .......Public Performance. Think that's his logic.

Spot on !!
Mr Boy Racer and Mrs Classic FM Neighbour are not businesses, but a paid Disco is !! :)
If you read the requirements carefully, music played for attendees at private domestic gatherings are exempt, but all tariffs are based on the numbers who might reasonably hear the music, and if just one or more of those are not actually at the event, and hear overfkow, you need licensing.
Very much a technicality, of which average Mr. Plod would have little knowledge (they're merely concerned with the public order aspects), but Ms Environmental Health might, and PPL & PRS certainly will know the rules.

Exemptions also now apply for religious institutions, care homes and medical establishments.

Excalibur
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
;)

Spot on !!
Mr Boy Racer and Mrs Classic FM Neighbour are not businesses, but a paid Disco is !! :)
If you read the requirements carefully, music played for attendees at private domestic gatherings are exempt, but all tariffs are based on the numbers who might reasonably hear the music, and if just one or more of those are not actually at the event, and hear overfkow, you need licensing.
Very much a technicality, of which average Mr. Plod would have little knowledge (they're merely concerned with the public order aspects), but Ms Environmental Health might, and PPL & PRS certainly will know the rules.

Exemptions also now apply for religious institutions, care homes and medical establishments.

Praise the Lord, Brother, I have seen the light. Hallelujah. The Right Reverend Excalibur Mobile Disco, Church Of The Boom Boom Thud.

JTRS
09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
;)

Spot on !!

So let me get this straight

I can as a paid DJ work at a private event, in someones house, and don't need a PPL or a PRS licence because it is a family event, invited guests only and no tickets/admission fee, with no limit of how many guests can be invited.

But if a neighbour who is not invited and not attending can hear the music then I need a licence, even though the person who can hear it and thus requires me to have a licence is NOT an invited guest.

But, if a I am an anti-social driver or neighbour I can play music as loud as I want (until environmental health turn up) and let the whole tenement block/street/town/city hear it.

That sounds crazy to me (so it probably is correct under the current laws)

JTRS

Excalibur
09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
So let me get this straight

I can as a paid DJ work at a private event, in someones house, and don't need a PPL or a PRS licence because it is a family event, invited guests only and no tickets/admission fee, with no limit of how many guests can be invited.

But if a neighbour who is not invited and not attending can hear the music then I need a licence, even though the person who can hear it and thus requires me to have a licence is NOT an invited guest.

But, if a I am an anti-social driver or neighbour I can play music as loud as I want (until environmental health turn up) and let the whole tenement block/street/town/city hear it.

That sounds crazy to me (so it probably is correct under the current laws)

JTRS

You're beginning to get the hang of this now, I can see. :D :D :D

JTRS
09-04-2010, 01:15 PM
You're beginning to get the hang of this now, I can see. :D :D :D

Yeah it took a while and then I figured what I was doing wrong, too few :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: and too much sense of logic.

JTRS

Kernow
09-04-2010, 01:15 PM
But if a neighbour who is not invited and not attending can hear the music then I need a licence, even though the person who can hear it and thus requires me to have a licence is NOT an invited guest.JTRS

Precisely for that reason :eek:

That's why unlicenced premises are a nightmare minefield for the DJ ;)

MagicMusic
09-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Is that correct?

JTRS

There isn't a difference, bosses at KwiK Fit went to court with the PRS and this was one of the comparisons used at the time IIRC.

Booche
09-04-2010, 04:15 PM
so im guessing ill need to apply for this then lol

Cheers for everything guys and gals :)

Cheers Dave :)

Tony Scott
09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I still doubt you need to worry about PRS as it's the organiser or owner of the premises that needs to apply for the the licence for his/her property, not the performer as I understand it..

Who needs a PRS Music Licence?

* A PRS Music Licence is a legal requirement if the use of the music is a ‘public performance’ i.e. outside the home.

* Any location or premises where music is played and can be heard by the public.

* Any premises outside the home, from clubs to concert halls, from discos to dentists’ waiting rooms, and from trains to take aways.

* Usually, the proprietor/manager of the premises is responsible for obtaining a PRS Music Licence.

http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/prs-at-a-glance.pdf

thex-faders
10-04-2010, 09:26 AM
We usually find that asking the house owner to contact the nieghbours is generally good pratice. Just say we are having a party till 2am if you have any isues let me know know and I will ensure the music is turned down at 1am or something.
Also in regard to lighting you dont need many effects as such, however ceiling height has been an issue before getting the deckstand in on its lowest setting. So we usualyl try and visit before if its local or take a tripod stand with us incase it is a small ceiling height or slanted conservatory roof etc.
Tom

Excalibur
10-04-2010, 08:29 PM
We usually find that asking the house owner to contact the nieghbours is generally good pratice. Just say we are having a party till 2am if you have any isues let me know know and I will ensure the music is turned down at 1am or something.
Also in regard to lighting you dont need many effects as such, however ceiling height has been an issue before getting the deckstand in on its lowest setting. So we usualyl try and visit before if its local or take a tripod stand with us incase it is a small ceiling height or slanted conservatory roof etc.
Tom

All good advice there. I'll tell you a couple of ( cautionary ) stories about inviting the neighbours.

1) Many years ago, I got an enquiry for a house party. I couldn't do it as I was going to a friend's wedding. I agreed to hire some gear on self drive, as it was only a mile from the wedding. We left the wedding and went to pick the gear up. We called at the party to find the domestic gear running, and mine switched off. The police had apparently been three times, and although they'd invited the nearest two streets, the complaints had come from three streets away.

2) Nearly as long ago, I was doing a gig at a farm about a mile from where I live. Mid summer, lovely still night. Jeanette had left earlier, and when standing on our front step said she could tell when I was on the mic!!!

Sound travels a long way in calm summer air.