PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke on a budget

Megamix
10-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I promised to investigate set up costs for Karaoke at a place where I regularly do discos.

I don't want to invest a lot initially as its doubtful I'll do very many.
(talking about bringing in a home unit but doesn’t sound like a good idea)

I'm guessing I will need as a minimum:

Mac Software like KJams (Qmidi cheaper option?)
A mixer that takes allows two microphones
Suitable tracks

There's a large screen TV on the wall which I hope to use for the words.

Is it as simple as that? - I'm not after perfection, just a working solution.

Tony Scott
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I promised to investigate set up costs for Karaoke at a place where I regularly do discos.

I don't want to invest a lot initially as its doubtful I'll do very many.
(talking about bringing in a home unit but doesn’t sound like a good idea)

I'm guessing I will need as a minimum:

Mac Software like KJams (Qmidi cheaper option?)
A mixer that takes allows two microphones
Suitable tracks

There's a large screen TV on the wall which I hope to use for the words.

Is it as simple as that? - I'm not after perfection, just a working solution.

Use a windows PC and download this software for free, it's what I use and is excellent. I only do karaoke now and then so it's spot-on. This little Mixer is great too, very good reverb/echo and it's under £50... :)

http://www.djstore.com/item/behmix800.htm?affid=froogle

http://www.karafun.com/karaokeplayer/

Ajaysdisco
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Your biggest cost is going to be the music, have at look at Mastermix Karaoke set.
Linky (http://www.mastermixdj.com/paris/product_view.asp?PNO=SET266&pagesubject=prokaraokeset)
It’s contains a good range of tracks plus you can spread the cost if required over 5 months.

Megamix
10-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks Tony - exactly the sort of help (and expenditure!!) I was looking for - next question - all Karaoke tracks pretty much the same or are there ones to avoid and ones to lean towards? - I'm probably just going to offer very well known and limited choice singalongs to start with - Abba, Neil Diamond, etc - Oh and do the Microphones have to be special?

(edit: and thanks for the Mastermix link)

Tony Scott
10-04-2010, 11:58 AM
edited...

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Search.html?searchstring=100+hits+karaoke&searchtype=cdall&searchsource=0

check out these... :)

http://www.dv247.com/microphones/behringer-xm1800s-ultravoice-dynamic-vocal-microphone-3-pack--15816

Megamix
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Brilliant Tony - thanks for the links :youdaman:

deltic
10-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Your biggest cost is going to be the music, have at look at Mastermix Karaoke set.
Linky (http://www.mastermixdj.com/paris/product_view.asp?PNO=SET266&pagesubject=prokaraokeset)
It’s contains a good range of tracks plus you can spread the cost if required over 5 months.

i have this set and it covers 99% of songs i would use,excellent value for money

Jiggles
10-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I thought these was good deals:

http://www.images2.co.uk/Karaoke_Discs/NEWS.Digital_KJ_Deals/

Excalibur
10-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I can endorse the mics Tony linked to. Perfectly acceptable for Karaoke. Get some good quality coloured mic cables so you can tell which one is which. ;) ;)

Ajaysdisco
10-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I can endorse the mics Tony linked to. Perfectly acceptable for Karaoke. Get some good quality coloured mic cables so you can tell which one is which. ;) ;)

I can third the mics! :)

I have a set and despite one hitting the ground and now having a flat top, it still works!

womble
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
kJams is awesome.

You can download the free version which would be more than adequate for occasional karaoke, the full version (about £90) is fantastic; you can edit screens to have your logo on in between tracks with lists of who is singing next, the program sorts out the rotation of who is singing next for you, it makes the organising of the karaoke very easy indeed.

I can't recommend it enough!

Tony Scott
11-04-2010, 02:13 PM
kJams is awesome.

You can download the free version which would be more than adequate for occasional karaoke, the full version (about £90) is fantastic; you can edit screens to have your logo on in between tracks with lists of who is singing next, the program sorts out the rotation of who is singing next for you, it makes the organising of the karaoke very easy indeed.

I can't recommend it enough!

Going to have a look at that... I like the idea of the editing and singer lists, anything to make KJing easier! :D

Alex
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
When I first started I used

Karafun for the karaoke software.... and purchased some sunfly hits disks...

Now you can actually download the files DIRECT from sunfly rather then rip them from disks..... check out sunflykaraoke.co.uk

Each track is £2 each..... so it is an expensive way to do it, however there are PRO's to this :

1) You can techincally have a book with EVERY song available.
2) You can access EVERY song sunfly have created
3) If you download DIRECTLY from their website, you do not need a produb as you are not FORMAT SHIFTING.

The only con's are :

1) You need internet connection (Mobile Broadband dongles are good, but check coverage)
2) If you are looking at doing this long term.... it is a VERY expensive way of doing it!

Also it means that you don't have 1000's of songs that people DON'T sing... which is very common!!
YOu only download and use the ones people want.....

Also, it allows you to build a song base of regular and popular songs! :)

womble
11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Going to have a look at that... I like the idea of the editing and singer lists, anything to make KJing easier! :D

It's only available on Mac at the moment, so if you're on windoze you'll have to wait a little while while it's being developed.

http://karaoke.kjams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1097

DazzyD
16-04-2010, 04:07 AM

Coloured cables are a good idea with multiple singers. We can cater for groups with up to 10 mics available. Nightmare for balancing them all, though! :(

womble
16-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Coloured cables are a good idea with multiple singers. We can cater for groups with up to 10 mics available. Nightmare for balancing them all, though! :(

Never thought of getting coloured cables as we use shure mics which come packaged with their own black cable. We use a little bit of gaffer tape stuck at one end of the cable so it can be easily identified (out of 2 mics) but barely noticeable if you're not looking for it. Coloured electrical tape at either end of the mic cable would also work.

We use PG48's which are around £40 each, we also have set of KAM wireless mics (1940 model I think - the UHF ones)

Kernow
16-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Fourthed !! ;)
I have used this 'Berry' set quite extensively for Karaoke.
Each has two rings of holographic christmas tape around it and a corresponding one on the male XLR connector.
Even in low light identification is easy :)

Megamix
17-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I've bought the Mixer and the Mics - but not sure on cables

- whats an ideal length 3 metres?
- Can see these (Link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-MIC-LEAD-XLR-XLR-PRO-MICROPHONE-CABLE-RED-/230365383638?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL)) Red and Blue cables on ebay but not sure if they will be good enough quality - or should I be spending more on the cables than the mics! -

womble
17-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Since this thread mentioned coloured leads I bought some of these "standard" cables from blue aran:

linkety link (http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?category=Cables_!amp!_Connectors&masthead=Audio_Cables_-_Standard&subheadnew=XLR_%3E_XLR)

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
17-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks For The KARA-FUN Link im currently playing with it on my crappy
"Handicapped by Vista" Kitchen doorstop / Laptop
and its rather good! for nothing
i might just get into Karaoke one day .."MIGHT"

Hey Kernow those mikes are Switched how do you stop numpties switching em off???

Cheers

simon1969
17-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey Kernow those mikes are Switched how do you stop numpties switching em off???

Cheers

Tell them not too?!!!? :sofa:

DazzyD
18-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I thought these was good deals:

http://www.images2.co.uk/Karaoke_Discs/NEWS.Digital_KJ_Deals/

I thought Images stopped doing the HDD and discs sets. Not sure how that works with ProDub as I believe you can't use files ripped by someone else. Bit of a grey area, there.

I've bought the Mixer and the Mics - but not sure on cables

- whats an ideal length 3 metres?
- Can see these (Link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-MIC-LEAD-XLR-XLR-PRO-MICROPHONE-CABLE-RED-/230365383638?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL)) Red and Blue cables on ebay but not sure if they will be good enough quality - or should I be spending more on the cables than the mics! -

Our cables are 5m made up by an audio engineer and use OFC cabling. They don't come cheap but are cables I've used since my days working with bands and I've stuck with them.

Thanks For The KARA-FUN Link im currently playing with it on my crappy
"Handicapped by Vista" Kitchen doorstop / Laptop
and its rather good! for nothing
i might just get into Karaoke one day .."MIGHT"

Cheers

You could always use some Gaffa tape to cover the switches.

Megamix
16-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Thank to all your help I have now prepared myself for a "Disco plus Karaoke" night next week. The recommended Mixer, coloured cables, microphones etc.

I have a large TV Screen behind the singer available so will link that with the laptop with a 5m VGA cable.

I will prepare a list of available songs (only about 180 Party/ Popular songs this time)

My club is small so its going to be informal but as I've never even been to a Karaoke let alone done one I have some questions:

Do you restrict the number of times one singer gets up - especially if they are :Censored: ?
Is there a Rota/List prepared in advance for singers?
What sort of music between singers works best (relaxed, up tempo, singalongs)?
Am I missing anything?

TIA

simon1969
16-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Thank to all your help I have now prepared myself for a "Disco plus Karaoke" night next week. The recommended Mixer, coloured cables, microphones etc.

I have a large TV Screen behind the singer available so will link that with the laptop with a 5m VGA cable.

I will prepare a list of available songs (only about 180 Party/ Popular songs this time)

My club is small so its going to be informal but as I've never even been to a Karaoke let alone done one I have some questions:

Do you restrict the number of times one singer gets up - especially if they are :Censored: ?
Is there a Rota/List prepared in advance for singers?
What sort of music between singers works best (relaxed, up tempo, singalongs)?
Am I missing anything?

Have you got request slips?
Makes things a lot easier, as for regards to how many times someone sings just make it fair so everyone gets a go.
Just have your request slips in order of who put them in.
A mixed cd usually works best and depends on age group of people there at the time what sort of music it is.
Can you sing a tune or two?
Sometimes this helps to encourage your punters to sing karaoke(people who sing nowadays seem to forget that) is about fun and having a laugh, remind people that you don't have to be Bono or Whitney houston to sing!!!

DazzyD
17-09-2010, 12:57 PM
:agree:

What he said!

But to expand a bit, be ready for people who put about 5 or six requests in at the same time. Just split them up so you don't get someone singing two songs together. I usually give priority to people who haven't sung yet as this makes it fair for everyone.

Should you limit the number of times someone sings? No. Even if they are bad? Still no. This is what karaoke is all about. It's not a talent show. It's about people having fun!

As for music between singers, if you're busy with lots of requests then a pre-mixed CD/megamix works well. If there's time for disco between singers then I would keep it upbeat, lots of party tracks and give people a chance to dance.

simon1969
17-09-2010, 04:09 PM
:agree:

What he said!

But to expand a bit, be ready for people who put about 5 or six requests in at the same time. Just split them up so you don't get someone singing two songs together. I usually give priority to people who haven't sung yet as this makes it fair for everyone.

Should you limit the number of times someone sings? No. Even if they are bad? Still no. This is what karaoke is all about. It's not a talent show. It's about people having fun!

As for music between singers, if you're busy with lots of requests then a pre-mixed CD/megamix works well. If there's time for disco between singers then I would keep it upbeat, lots of party tracks and give people a chance to dance.

:agree: Glad someone acknowledges the fun side, you get a lot of people at pub karaoke nights and they bring their own cd's !!!!
Good luck and have fun!!! :D :D

Punchy
01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
One thing i`ve noticed about karajoke is that the regular singers have a very good memory and the ones that put a few songs in early and put there cd`s in with them have an uncanny knack of remembering who sang before them last time.
So when they hear that person sing they just assume they are next up.
Like someone on here suggested, when they give you theur slips, put one at the back of the pile and the rest seperate.
Then when they get to the top of the pile take one of their other slips and place it at the back of the pile.
If you can do this you`ll keep everyone relatively happy.

Karaoke is fun, when i first done a few I found it hard work remembering the rotation etc, but`ll soon get the hang of it.
The worst the singers are, the funnier it can be sometimes.
Allthough it is easier said than done, laugh with the singers and not at them..
the upbeat cd interlude music is definately a good suggestion.

good luck mate, have fun

Megamix
01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Well it was harder work juggling Karaoke and normal music but I think I managed it. Mostly kids and a handful of people sung - karaoke must be like Marmite in that respect - couldn't convert anyone to the cause!
Only let down was new microphone leads were XLR and mixer had jacks - should have checked but didn't - but got round it with borrowed mic.
Won't rush to offer to do another (but will if pressed) but glad I can say it worked - thanks again to everyone.

Digital Jack
19-10-2010, 11:55 PM
If you want to make youe own request slips (and customise them too)
go to >>>>> http://www.latshawsystems.com/ProductDetails_RequestSlipGenerator.aspx

It's free too.

Hopefully there will be a link , but if not , just copy & paste into the address bar of your browser.