PDA

View Full Version : New computer?

Corabar Entertainment
11-04-2010, 09:12 PM
We're going to need a new main office computer in the near future.

We don't need it to run games or such like, but we do use a lot of different programs, so need something that is up to multi-tasking.

Also looking for something that is likely to last us a good while, so need a good bit of 'headroom' in it.

Have to admit that I haven't been 'computer shopping' for a long time and so do not know what is 'standard'/ 'below par' / 'top spec' these days. :Embarassed:

2 questions:-

1. Has anybody got any recommendations on various specs I should be looking out for? and

2. Any recommendations as to where to buy from? (Last couple we've bought we're from Dell because I like the fact that you can more or less chose a spec to order, but wondering if anywhere else is worth a look - eg an independent?)

Ta! (All help gratefully received ;) :) )

BeerFunk
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
You're not going to need a high-powered PC then, so I'd say a minimum of 3GHz and 1GB RAM. Depending on which applications you're going to be running, it might be wise to go to 2GB RAM though, and make sure the processor has 1MB cache too.

I tend to buy most PC-related things from Ebuyer, I think they sell complete systems too. Their 'barebones' systems are good value, and an excellent base to build on (saves fitting the motherboard) :)

Charlie Brown
11-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Angela!

Your going to laugh but the BEST two computers Dad brought were from Aldi.

He has just brought another (a month ago) - Windows 7, 1TB (1,000 gig) hardrive, 4 GB memory, the best processor and graphics card out on the market (at the time he brought it)

You have to keep your eye out for their "special buys" - http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week15Sunday10.htm?WT.z_src=main

They sell the computers twice a month. Each store is allocated 3/4 computers each and they all normally sell out by 10.00am OR you can buy direct from their website....

This is the computer he recently brought and it works effortlessly...

https://www.medionshop.co.uk/mdshop/app/displayApp/(xcm=xcm_b2c_uk&cpgsize=8&layout=7.0-7_1_66_61_69_6_9_3&uiarea=3&carea=498816F4038C6141E10000000A00007F&cpgnum=1&citem=498816F4038C6141E10000000A00007F4B4D17426AF1 479DE1000000AA38DA24)/.do?rf=y

I think they are £50 in Aldi...but it's probably not worth the hassle.

All their computers are really high spec with a lengthy warranty.

You could always go to PC-World (they don't sell Medion products there) and ask for a similar spec PC..you'd be looking at £800/850+....As you know, "Brands" can effect the price.

yourdj
11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
The mini macs are good and you can have all the programs on a PC. They also run windows too.

http://www.wait-till-i.com/pics/mini.jpg

discomobiledj
11-04-2010, 09:31 PM
To be honest, it's Dell all the way for me.

They're selling an Inspiron 570 for £299 without monitor (£379 with) which has:

Windows 7
320gb Hard Drive
2gb RAM

Sounds ideal for what you want.

If you want something that has that little extra oomph then go for the Inspiron 570 (without monitor) at £499 (£579 with monitor) which has:

Windows 7
640gb hard drive
6gb RAM.

All the prices above include VAT and delivery.

Charlie Brown
11-04-2010, 09:33 PM
To be honest, it's Dell all the way for me.

They're selling an Inspiron 570 for £299 without monitor (£379 with) which has:

Windows 7
320gb Hard Drive
2gb RAM

Dell is an option....

However I wouldn't buy a computer in 2010 with just 320GB hardrive nor would I buy a computer with just 2GB ram? - My laptop is a higher spec than that...and it's 3 years old!

discomobiledj
11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
But it's not for gaming!

Charlie Brown
11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
But it's not for gaming!

Neither is mine. :confused:

Jiggles
11-04-2010, 09:35 PM
You could always go to PC-World (they don't sell Medion products there) and ask for a similar spec PC..you'd be looking at £800/850+....As you know, "Brands" can effect the price.

Go in there and come out with a lemon unless you know exactly what you want! :bang:

The good things about the Medion PCs is the 3 year warranty. Ebuyer and Aria are good for their pre builds. :)

Charlie Brown
11-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Go in there and come out with a lemon unless you know exactly what you want! :bang:

:lol:

You're right ;)

I would never buy from PC World.....

John Lewis will look after you - but for a high spec computer your looking at a hefty price.

I honestly can't recommend Medion any more...their computers are slick, safe, fast and of the highest spec. I don't know how they manage to keep their prices down. I guess they don't have "Medion" centres all over the country like "Sony"...

Sapphire Disco
11-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Find the one you want at John Lewis they will give you honest advice, see if you can get it cheaper somewhere else and get John Lewis to price match and buy it from them you're going to get the best warranty & service from them if you have any problems, even if you see some else selling it cheaper up to 28 days later you can get a refund on the difference.

Charlie Brown
11-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Yes, I agree that John Lewis excel on customer service. I watched a 4 week documentary on how their business and partnership works. It was fascinating.

My point is....Angela & Steve won't find a computer with such high spec for £499.

I'd be amazed if they did.

BeerFunk
11-04-2010, 11:09 PM
However I wouldn't buy a computer in 2010 with just 320GB hardrive nor would I buy a computer with just 2GB ram? - My laptop is a higher spec than that...and it's 3 years old!I would, for the reasons specified in the OP - more than adequate :)

Charlie Brown
11-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Technology is developing fast so why buy something that's out of spec when you could have better?

If I was spending my money on a electronic item which I would be dependant on (every day) and was given the option of buying something with a high spec and three warranty or something old that was realised in 2007......

I know what I would go for. ;)

Steve the DJ
12-04-2010, 06:23 AM
2 questions:-

1. Has anybody got any recommendations on various specs I should be looking out for?

No idea, sorry... :o

2. Any recommendations as to where to buy from? (Last couple we've bought we're from Dell because I like the fact that you can more or less chose a spec to order, but wondering if anywhere else is worth a look - eg an independent?)

...but I would highly recommend MESH Computers (http://www.meshcomputers.com).

I have bought my last 2 PC's from them which have serviced me very well for the last 10 years!

Good prices, a very wide range and every machine can be customised further. They have AMD based systems that are great value, Intel power gaming monsters and everything inbetween including models especially for business use.

Highly recommended, well built and good service.

:approve:

Vectis
12-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Mac all the way.

Check out the refurb store (http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac) for some great deals - I've had all my kit from there and you'd never know it wasn't brand new. Full warranty and everything. Add Applecare for a full 3-year warranty. Add a copy of Parallels if you want to run anything that's Windoze only, but for business use you'll struggle to find anything that hasn't got a Mac version or equivalent.

If you already have a decent monitor get a mac mini (you'd be as well to get a Mac keyboard because a) they're fabulous to work with and b) there are a few 'mac specific' keys).

If you're looking for a touch of class on your desk, then it's the iMac, no question.

It took me over 20 years to make the switch, and I've never looked back. Superb value for money.

wensleydale
12-04-2010, 06:36 AM
I have bought a few Acers over the past few years and am more than happy with them, bought through Amazon- I buy Laptops and use them as desktops with a dual monitor setup but then have the ability to "go mobile" if I need to .

Also echo the points made about John Lewis, but then I am slightly biased.

Steve the DJ
12-04-2010, 07:02 AM
I have bought a few Acers over the past few years and am more than happy with them...

I have also bought a few Acer laptops and have found the mid range ones (£400ish - £600) to be excellent but the sub £400 ones can be very hit and miss.

I have an Acer with a 1.6 centrino that cost around £500 6 years ago that is still running faultlessly, while a 2 year old machine with a supposedly higher spec that cost £380 is on it's knees and has to be replaced.

Corabar Entertainment
12-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice so far chaps: I'll be having a look for some of your suggestions.

I am definitely looking for something that is high spec for what I need (rather than something that will do for now). I'd prefer to pay extra and have it last (ie plenty of headroom - possibly upgradable, etc.)

The thing I like about Dell is that you can specifically chose the configuration you want - rather than taking an off the shelf configuration, and I didn't think that most of the general 'shops' did that (????)

I'm afraid I don't fancy switching over to a Mac (sorry Martin :( ), and I don't have the knowledge to build one myself.

If anyone has any more suggestions for specs, and also somewhere good and reliable that does 'build to order', let me know :)

dj keevers
12-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi angela id recommend that your buy a system with any size hard disk, as long as its a sata 2 or sata II interface then that will give you future expansion and hard disks are so cheap to buy separately. Also you get an external sata 2 interface which means you can hot swap hardrives while the machine is switched on. This means you can store sensitive or important data and removed it easily and store in your safe or other secure location. Ideally you also want a system high has a large physical memory capability. Often PCS are sold with 2-4 GB memory fitted and cant be expanded further, so if you get 1 which can be expanded further it gives you a future expansion and will multi-task better with more physical memory since t has to access the hard disk alot less increasing speed. A good medium speed processsor should suffice and try to get a system with a separate graphic card. This ensures your not sharing PC physical memory with the graphics and means less lag when you switch between programs or looking at photos. And you can always improve the graphics in the future without changing the whole system again.

Finally, id try and get a system which might be windows 7 setup but canget converted to xp or vista. This will improve stability and useability and both system are less memory hungry than windows 7. For example XP can be run with 256mb if required but ideally needs 1-2GB (8 times the minimum) to run comfortably. Similar V ista is 1GB minimum but actually needs 2-4GB if your multitasking. Windows 7 is very memory hungry. Hope this is not too long winded and helps

Jiggles
12-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Finally, id try and get a system which might be windows 7 setup but canget converted to xp or vista. This will improve stability and useability and both system are less memory hungry than windows 7. For example XP can be run with 256mb if required but ideally needs 1-2GB (8 times the minimum) to run comfortably. Similar V ista is 1GB minimum but actually needs 2-4GB if your multitasking. Windows 7 is very memory hungry. Hope this is not too long winded and helps

Windows 7 is far less memory hungry than vista and a lot more stable! I can run corel draw X3, Photoshop, fireworks and loads of tabs in google chrome and it still runs fast! I only have 2GB of ram installed. I have had 7 installed since i came out and its running just as smooth as the day it was installed unlike when i had vista installed it would of been reinstalled by now!

Charlie Brown
12-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Windows 7 is far less memory hungry than vista and a lot more stable! I can run corel draw X3, Photoshop, fireworks and loads of tabs in google chrome and it still runs fast! I only have 2GB of ram installed. I have had 7 installed since i came out and its running just as smooth as the day it was installed unlike when i had vista installed it would of been reinstalled by now!

I agree. Windows 7 is very similar to Vista but with all the patches and problems Vista had now solved.

It's very reliable and faster than Vista - Having used them both.

discomobiledj
12-04-2010, 09:29 PM
W7 is the best OS Microsoft have released. Super low memory usage whilst running god knows how much in the background.

Charlie Brown
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
W7 is the best OS Microsoft have released. Super low memory usage whilst running god knows how much in the background.

:agree: :approve:

DJMaxG
09-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I would just like to say that I have a Single Core acer (INTEL), which is actually faster than an AMD dual core, although it can be loud at times, almost like a generator.

Twinspin
17-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Personally if it was me and you have any computer knowledge. I would get the bits you need for it and build a machine yourself.

Thats what ive done with mine. Because then you know whats in it.

from personal experience in the past with other computers. If you are looking at buying one id go for a HP Computer or Compaq.

Acer is one make i would stay well clear of. Their customer service is a joke. I had an acer laptop about 4 years ago. It broke after two weeks of having it and customer service was terrible they never returned my calls and they kept the laptop for half of the warranty on one repair job.

I won an acer aspire one netbook in a competition and again i had problems with it again the netbook packed up. I called them up the netbook was under warranty about 4 weeks ago and their customer service is still as bad as what it was 4 years ago. The battery on the netbook had died. It was in warranty with the battery and they tell me its gonna cost me £60.00 for a new battery. No its not! At the moment this is still ongoing.

just a warning about acer.

Megamix
17-06-2010, 06:40 PM
I maintain a dozen laptops and a few PCs - various makes, Acer, Samsung, Dell, HP - all have the same problem - Windows.
Malware, Trojans, Rebuilds,

I'm with Toby and Martin - for low maintenance computing its OSX for me

DJMaxG
17-06-2010, 07:47 PM
John,
Some points about Acer :

- I have heard negative of them before
- They are one of the leading brands
- The physical build quality is good on them

I have owned one of their laptops since 2007 and love it. 4 Keys are missing, that I admittedly removed myself, as stuff (general dirt/dust etc) gets stuck down there.

I contacted their customer support to request a copy of Windows Vista, which guess what, they wanted to charge me for. I can't remember the exact price, but it was around £30-£60 for boot discs. The volume knob, on the side, doesn't seem to work, yet the volume turns itself down, when I am not using the machine. If I leave it on 100, before long, it'll be on 95.

I still think that the build quality and overall performance are good though.

I think that if I wanted a machine that went on a desk, that was semi portable (carried around), then I would go for the Apple Imac. A DJ from the USA uses one to run DJ software on, and he has a bag that it can fit into.

If I did go for a Mac, I would probably consider installing Windows. But then, is there any points in buying one? < your thoughs?

Megamix
17-06-2010, 08:57 PM
The battery on the netbook had died. It was in warranty with the battery and they tell me its gonna cost me £60.00 for a new battery. No its not! At the moment this is still ongoing.

I maintain some Acer Netbooks and after 7 months 3 of them developed 'dead batteries' - in fact they were just not holding the charge.

After speaking to Acer (they were VERY rude and not the least bit helpful -told me batteries were not covered) I discovered on the web after much searching Acer Ones had a BIOS issue which required a fix.

Flashing the BIOS to a newer version cured the problem in each case - batteries now hold the charge.

May not be related to your issue - but its a possibility - if so I can send details

Twinspin
17-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Ive flashed the Bios once on the acer netbook. My screen went dead and the only way i could get it working was by flashing the bios.

Ill try flashing it again to see if that solves anything though. I fix laptops for family and friends and people i know so ive seen a few acers come to me that want sorting out. Ive seen that are nearly falling to pieces as well from acer. From experiences ive had myself with them and seen other peoples. I cant stand Acer.

Ive got a toshiba laptop now ive had to deal with customer support a couple of times but they wasn't hardware problems and they was fixed on the line they sent me a new restore pack out free of charge.

My friend had a problem with his touchpad mouse on his.... he sent it to toshiba and they repaired it quickly and sent it back.

i was happy with toshibas service and so was my friend. Its a shame acer wasnt the same. Everybody has different experiences. Some may have a computer and it works touch wood. Others experience problems.

DJMaxG
17-06-2010, 10:13 PM
My battery is supposed to hold 2hrs or 2.5hrs, and on "high performance" mode, it seems to have less juice in it.

I mainly have mains power though, unless printing. I even have mains power at pubs where it goes to.

discomobiledj
18-06-2010, 05:58 AM
My battery is supposed to hold 2hrs or 2.5hrs, and on "high performance" mode, it seems to have less juice in it.

I mainly have mains power though, unless printing. I even have mains power at pubs where it goes to.

I hope you remove the battery if you are on mains power for the majority of the time. That's one way to kill the battery.

nisfo
18-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Take someone who is keyed up on computers to a computer fair.

Buy a bare bone system, and super charge it yourself.

I hate the specs that are available on the retail market. It sounds like a mega deal, then you do a breakdown of the parts inside.......Hmmmm could of saved a few quid by missing out the middleman....lol

IMHO, I am slowly moving towards the Mac side, or Linux....Windows lets me down too often.

Megamix
18-06-2010, 06:34 PM
IMHO, I am slowly moving towards the Mac side, or Linux....Windows lets me down too often.

I thought about it for years, suddenly got the money and have never looked back - it really is an elegant operating system, smooth and resilient - over 2 years, Tiger, then Leopard and then Snow Leopard installed - not rebuilt once. Try doing that with XP then Vista then Windows 7.

DJMaxG
18-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I hope you remove the battery if you are on mains power for the majority of the time. That's one way to kill the battery.

I haven't heard that before, but it sounds possible. The battery forms part of the outer casing, and would leave an exposed area removed. I do use it for about 5-60 mins per a week on battery power though, if I quickly nip into another room to print or whatever.

I thought about it for years, suddenly got the money and have never looked back - it really is an elegant operating system, smooth and resilient - over 2 years, Tiger, then Leopard and then Snow Leopard installed - not rebuilt once. Try doing that with XP then Vista then Windows 7.

Do you have a custom built (non apple branded) PC that you have installed the Mac OS to? Does the system cost to buy, how much is it? Am I right in thinking that Mac only have one operating system at a time. (Windows have home, home premium, ultimate etc)

Cowlinn
18-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm afraid I don't fancy switching over to a Mac (sorry Martin :( )

Angela, out of interest, why don't you fancy switching to Macs? Best thing i ever did...:)

yourdj
18-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Angela, out of interest, why don't you fancy switching to Macs? Best thing i ever did...:)

Yey agree to that! :)

and charlie - yes i am working!

http://hippiekiller.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/lucy_and_charlie_brown.jpg

Jiggles
18-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Am I right in thinking that Mac only have one operating system at a time. (Windows have home, home premium, ultimate etc)

One OS, One price (£25), No fuss! How it should be.

Corabar Entertainment
18-06-2010, 08:35 PM
How did I know that half the people on here would suggest a mac - even though I specifically stipulated I didn't want one :bang:

Excalibur
18-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't heard that before, but it sounds possible. The battery forms part of the outer casing, and would leave an exposed area removed. I do use it for about 5-60 mins per a week on battery power though, if I quickly nip into another room to print or whatever.

1st line in my Acer manual says to remove the battery if you're regularly on mains power.

How did I know that half the people on here would suggest a mac - even though I specifically stipulated I didn't want one :bang:
Hey come on Angela, you can't really expect folk on herer to accurately read the OP, and comply with the parameters, can you? :confused: :confused: :bang: :bang:

Megamix
18-06-2010, 09:09 PM
How did I know that half the people on here would suggest a mac - even though I specifically stipulated I didn't want one

the same reason Jehova Witnesses knock on your door - to save you!

Corabar Entertainment
18-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey come on Angela, you can't really expect folk on herer to accurately read the OP, and comply with the parameters, can you? :confused: :confused: :bang: :bang:
Reading a lot of the threads on here recently, I am seriously beginning to wonder!

Excalibur
18-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Reading a lot of the threads on here recently, I am seriously beginning to wonder!

Many folk on here use the Politcal Method. They answer the question they wanted you to ask. :bang: :bang:

Corabar Entertainment
18-06-2010, 09:34 PM
...and you can guess my view on politicians!

Excalibur
18-06-2010, 09:43 PM
...and you can guess my view on politicians!

They are wonderful human beings, of unreproachable character who do a magnificent job, against all odds, for a mere pittance? :confused:

How can you tell if a Politician's lying? :confused: :confused:

His lips are moving.