PDA

View Full Version : New Wedding Site - Comments Please

JDB Entertainment
14-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Okay I have 2 Domain Names ;), which are currently wasted in my opinion and so have put together a website(webeden) to try and put them to good use.

The website is far from finished, however I would like initial reactions from you lovely guys and girls before I continue making changes, etc.

The SEO, etc. hasn't really been touched I hope you can look at the content, layout and from a potential clients point of view and give me your comments/tips! :)

Website: http://jdbweddingsite.webeden.co.uk/# (this is not the domain that will be used!)

A few questions I have for you to answer after you have looked over the site are:

If you was a potential client would you think the website gives off the impression of a proffesional wedding dj/disco company?

If you was a potential client would you have sent me an enquiry form?

What is missing from a potential clients point of view?

Is the site easy to navigate and does it try and make you get to each page and then to the contact page?

Thanks in advance to all those who take the time to do this for me.

James

Alex
14-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Hey James,

Tried to have a look at your site, but every link shows the page for about 2 seconds and then goes back to the home page :(

yourdj
14-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty sure i have seen those pictures on other sites?
correct me if I'm wrong though as they all look the same?

http://images.google.co.uk/images?as_q=led+uplighting&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgtype=&imgsz=&imgw=&imgh=&imgar=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=off&as_st=y

Overall looks good. Nice and simple

I would make the video much bigger, cut the text down to one third if i was you and make a bit more space. It looks quite crammed in and not inviting to read.

Put a few pics of you on there too. :)

here is one on your site.

They are different colours but im sure its the same set of photos?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jameshuk.com/images/uplighting/led_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jameshuk.com/uplighting.htm&usg=__94KlPQjX6skgkyG-vqqebiOGEG0=&h=225&w=300&sz=14&hl=en&start=48&itbs=1&tbnid=L1E20N3bPL755M:&tbnh=87&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dled%2Buplighting%26start%3D36%26hl%3D en%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26as_st%3Dy%26ndsp%3D18%2 6tbs%3Disch:1

Spirits High
14-04-2010, 10:22 AM
For me personally the home page is too busy way too much going on

The way I look at a home page is a quick overveiw of what you do and that acts as a page they can then bounce off to go to the specific area they want to look at.

Pretty sure those images are Dannos but I'm sure you've asked him as he's probably your local supplier for such things ;)

rob1963
14-04-2010, 11:30 AM
One really annoying thing was that I had to scroll from left to right as well as up & down, as the site is wider than my 17" monitor.

:bang:

Booche
14-04-2010, 11:40 AM
One really annoying thing was that I had to scroll from left to right as well as up & down, as the site is wider than my 17" monitor.

:bang:

Bigger monitor needed then :sofa:

But no on a serious note it drove me mad lol

Leicester Ben
14-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Pictures are mainly mine with a few of Danno's, permission has been asked :)

simonp
14-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree with Paul about the home page - once it loaded and popped up I was like 'Whooooaa' in your face, where do I look - far too busy.

JDB Entertainment
14-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Pictures are mainly mine with a few of Danno's, permission has been asked :)

Yes :)

Just goes to show networking is a good idea people.

However everytime I dry hire from Danno I try to take my own pictures, so some are mine :)

I did try a larger page than usual however if people are having problems I will have to make the page layout smaller.

I did think it was "too" busy so will work on that over the next few days cutting it down and simplyfing the homepage.

Thanks for all comments so far.

OllieJames
14-04-2010, 01:24 PM
I love it! Although as said, I'd take some text off.

Spirits High
14-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm sure Marc J will be along soon to give it the Gurus eye. But one of my main things I wanted done when my site was recently tweeked was to have the width a set size (Marc tells me the size I've got is the current web designers "in" size) so that whatever size your monitor is it'll fit on it ad remove the need for scrolling around.

Yes, on mine you do need to scroll down on the homepage but everything you'd immediatley want is there in front of you without scrolling ;)

discomobiledj
14-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Didn't see anything glaring, only the word disco's which should be discos.

Danno13
14-04-2010, 02:10 PM
And DJ's which should be DJs.

JDB Entertainment
14-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I thought they would be picked up. I did that on purpose for the search engines, however I am sure a SEO Expert is going to tell me it is a waste of time?!

Gavin Matthews
14-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Doesnt really say wedding to me. Wrong colours. also like others have said way to much text

Marc J
14-04-2010, 08:39 PM
If you was a potential client would you think the website gives off the impression of a proffesional wedding dj/disco company?

Wedding - No, DJ/Disco - Maybe

If you was a potential client would you have sent me an enquiry form?

Hard to say, I guess it would depend on the alternatives. Maybe.

What is missing from a potential clients point of view?

An apostrophe? :D Seriously....More (and more believable) testimonials (hard one, I know). Prices, or at least indications.

Is the site easy to navigate and does it try and make you get to each page and then to the contact page?

Yes...because that's the order they're in!

For me personally the home page is too busy way too much going on

:agree:

I didn't have the scrolling problem, but I think the width is a little too much.

I'm sure Marc J will be along soon to give it the Gurus eye. But one of my main things I wanted done when my site was recently tweeked was to have the width a set size (Marc tells me the size I've got is the current web designers "in" size) so that whatever size your monitor is it'll fit on it ad remove the need for scrolling around.

Stats for a very high traffic site I have show 43% of users (in the last month) with a screen resolution less than 1280 wide - these would get a horizontal scroll bar on your site. Not everybody has their browser full screen, either, so even those at 1280 but windowed would have to scroll horizontally. Aim for 1024 for now...

I thought they would be picked up. I did that on purpose for the search engines, however I am sure a SEO Expert is going to tell me it is a waste of time?!

As far as Google is concerned Disco's is different to Discos, and DJ's is different to DJs (although most of the results will crossover), so there is a (very very) slight gain to be had. But then if you want to promote the misuse of apostrophes and appear unprofessional to achieve that then that's up to you.

Doesnt really say wedding to me. Wrong colours. also like others have said way to much text

:agree: I think it's too dark. Looks like a restaurant website to me...

JDB Entertainment
14-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your points Marc.

With regards to the testimonials they are real testimonials and if you don't believe me I can send you a link to them all. :)

Will have a play around over the next week with a few things and then ask more opinions... if you all don't mind! :)

JDB Entertainment
15-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Resized the page. Is this any better?

Also took a lot of text off the home page and changed the layout slightly.

Looking any better?

yourdj
15-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Its fine in safari and has been before the change?

Marc J
15-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Resized the page. Is this any better?

It's still about 1090 wide, which doesn't make any difference at all to who sees (or doesn't see) a horizontal scroll bar, since the cut-off points are 1024 then 1280. To catch everyone with a 1024 wide screen, you'll have to drop it below that.

OllieJames
15-04-2010, 09:04 AM
You haven't asked for criticism on this.. but I thought I'd add my thoughts.

I think the video on your site could do with re-editing... If I were a potential client and watched the video, although there is footage of people dancing, I wouldn't leave the web page thinking "bloody hell, that looked GREAT!"...

I think the dancing footage needs to come in a lot earlier. Although you're showing how neatly presented your rig is, you may find it more beneficial to have two seperate videos. One that introduces you and has footage based on the presentation of your rig, and a shorter one that's edited to show everyone having a really great time, FROM A VARIETY OF EVENTS, as I think that would a great effect on the potential clients.

It's only my opinion, but unless they watch past 1 min, all they see is an empty dancefloor (due to it being setup time) and a couple of flashing lights...

Hope that helps in some way? :confused:

Tony Scott
15-04-2010, 09:04 AM
I love the overall look and feel of the site however I'm not too keen on the tag line "Making Your Wedding just like you dreamed it!". I understand what you're trying to say... it just sounds a bit clumsy IMHO. :)

How about something like this?

JDB Entertainment
The Wedding Reception of your dreams...

Tony Scott
15-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I love the overall look and feel of the site however I'm not too keen on the tag line "Making Your Wedding just like you dreamed it!". I understand what you're trying to say... it just sounds a bit clumsy IMHO. :)

How about something like this?

JDB Entertainment
The Wedding Reception of your dreams...

or

JDB Entertainment...
Providing the Wedding Reception of your dreams!

yeah I like that better.. :)

JDB Entertainment
15-04-2010, 03:09 PM
or

JDB Entertainment...
Providing the Wedding Reception of your dreams!

yeah I like that better.. :)

Interesting thought Tony.

Can I use your gorgeous purple colour aswell? :P