PDA

View Full Version : Grassing up your customers

DJ Jules
23-04-2010, 07:06 AM
It seems to be an increasing trend for 16th/18th/21st birthday parties to be booked as "joint" parties with a mother or older sister (i.e. as a 30th, 40th, etc) in order to get round the ban a lot of venues have on 16th and 18th parties.

Has anyone else ever been in the position that they know the venue doesn't allow 16th/18th's, and you know the party is a "joint" 18th/30th? Has anyone ever dropped their customer in it, or had any problems with the venue when the customers have turned up (or started decorating the venue with 18th birthday banners) and the venue has twigged what's going on?

I'm in this position at the moment for a gig in July, at the moment my take is that it isn't really in my interest to say anything, so I'm not - but I have made it clear to the customers that it's in everyone's interests for them to "behave" as I have to abide by the venues rules and if they decide to stop the gig, then I have to do what they say (and they still have to pay me :D ).

Just interested in everyone's experiences on this matter - especially those of you who do a lot of 16th/18th/21st's.

Julian

StarZSoundS
23-04-2010, 07:20 AM
It seems to be an increasing trend for 16th/18th/21st birthday parties to be booked as "joint" parties with a mother or older sister (i.e. as a 30th, 40th, etc) in order to get round the ban a lot of venues have on 16th and 18th parties.

Has anyone else ever been in the position that they know the venue doesn't allow 16th/18th's, and you know the party is a "joint" 18th/30th? Has anyone ever dropped their customer in it, or had any problems with the venue when the customers have turned up (or started decorating the venue with 18th birthday banners) and the venue has twigged what's going on?

I'm in this position at the moment for a gig in July, at the moment my take is that it isn't really in my interest to say anything, so I'm not - but I have made it clear to the customers that it's in everyone's interests for them to "behave" as I have to abide by the venues rules and if they decide to stop the gig, then I have to do what they say (and they still have to pay me :D ).

Just interested in everyone's experiences on this matter - especially those of you who do a lot of 16th/18th/21st's.

Julian

Its not a problem round here....

I have never had an objection to any age party I'm doing!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

There is a bit of a resistance to Romany Weddings owing to the fact that more often than not the two seperate families want to pull each others heads off!!

But no age problems ever as yet!!:) :) :) :) :)

sleah
23-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Yup, done one or two 'disguised' birthday parties.
The 'contract' is between the customer and the venue, nothing to do with me.
As said though, if the venue stop the gig, I still expect to be paid!

Reporting the customer to the venue will simply cause bad feelings, and certainly won't get you more work from the custoomer or their guests.
However, if the venue is your residency or a regular or a friend, then maybe they will appreciate a tip off, just don't let the customer know it's you who gave the tip off;)

simonp
23-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Never encountered the issue down here, but I certainly wouldn'y 'bubble' anyone to a venue, all a bit underhand in my book - For me it's more a case of well done for getting round the problem, shows a bit of initiative :)

JTRS
23-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I think I would 'play dumb' but at the same time I would ensure I was paid in full in advance.

The contract I have with my customer is to provide DJ services, the contract the customer has with the venue is seperate and nothing to do with me, so by playing dumb I wouldn't be alienating anyone.

JTRS

DiscoPromotions
23-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Not had a problem with this, but venues around here will allow 16/18 parties. I did an 18th back in Jan, the venue got a little damaged and we lost a mirror on the van, as well as gaining a dent on rear quater pannel.

DazzyD
23-04-2010, 11:47 AM
A local venue doesn't allow solely 18th birthday parties but they don't object to joint birthday parties. At the end of the day, this should mean there are some "more" responsible people in the venue who, in theory, should keep the younger ones in check!

DeckstarDeluxe
23-04-2010, 07:19 PM
yeah i'd just inform the customer of protential issues with doing that and naturally back it up with a full payment in case the venue "pulls the plug"

DJ Davy
28-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Had the problem here... very few venues will allow 18th birthday parties due to the reasons mentioned above. I made sure I was paid immediatley when the birthday boy came in for his '21st' (really 18!) He was only in for ten minutes when the young barmaid recognised him as a fellow pupil from the same year at school. A few harsh words... and warnings followed from the venue manager, but they allowed the party to continue, but finished half an hour earlier the clear the hall.

CRAZY K
29-04-2010, 12:01 AM

Julian

The best piece of advice for you Julian, get paid in cash at the beginning of the evening in case the Party gets busted.

After that everythings a bonus

;) ;) ;)

DJ Jules
29-04-2010, 06:21 AM
A local venue doesn't allow solely 18th birthday parties but they don't object to joint birthday parties. At the end of the day, this should mean there are some "more" responsible people in the venue who, in theory, should keep the younger ones in check!

I've seen a few of these lately, and the "more responsible people" generally don't dare say anything, either because they are genuinely scared when things have kicked off at an 18th I was at, or because their daughter will practically disown them if "Mummy has a go at her in front of her friends". Most of the adults I've seen at these joint events have just made themselves scarce as soon as the party has kicked off.

Scary times...

Julian

Charlie Brown
29-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Never encountered the issue down here, but I certainly wouldn'y 'bubble' anyone to a venue, all a bit underhand in my book - For me it's more a case of well done for getting round the problem, shows a bit of initiative :)

:agree: :beer1: