PDA

View Full Version : Mr Mayhem

mikeee
26-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Well boys and girls, I have just had an evening watching the legendary Mr Mayhem in operation. I filled four sheets of A4 with notes (crib's) for childrens / school parties and all I can say is .....what an operator.... I don't know what he takes to keep going, but I would like some of it.

OK I turned up expecting to see another "blown out" disco playing "toons" for the kids....No, wrong, Garry is a Childrens performer of the highest degree and I feel that using just 10% of the notes I made this evening will give me an edge on the midweek school "disco" market.

If you think this is a bit "gushing" it is deservedly so, as I can see the opening to an easy opening to a £225, £275 "school disco"... and i'm up for that on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday afternoon / evening. The best tutorial I've had in ages.

Charlie Brown
26-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Fantastic!

Well done to both of you. :beer1:

Mayhem 1
27-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Hey Mike,

Wow thanks for those very kind words.

It was a pleasure to have you along and also to meet you after all this time chatting via this forum/phone etc.

All I do as you possibly noticed is to give the children what they want = "CHAOS!!!"

As I said to you last night you are more than welcome to use any of what you saw in your own show but saying that I would love to be a fly on the wall if you tried some of the party dances!!! he he........

Fantastic night and you were great company buddy and I look forward to catching up with you again sometime.

Ps, thanks Charlie for your nice words also mate.

Paul The Party Dj
27-04-2010, 06:31 AM
WOW - over £200 from a school. We manage to get £160 for a double (90 minutes lower school / 30 minute break / 90 minutes upper school) midweek show and £120 for a single show early Friday evenings, but that's a struggle.

Are there really schools that pay £275?
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Garry is worth it, and Mike too, but I found it quite hard to educate them that we were better than the £80 they were paying. The school's side of things is my son's grounding in the business - he's done well - I'd love to show him a Mayhem show!

Good work fella's.

Mayhem 1
27-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks Paul,

rob1963
27-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Glad you enjoyed experiencing the legend, Mikeee.

I'd been hoping to visit Mr M for that gig, but unfortunately couldn't make it as I had to stay here to supervise some building work.

Hopefully next time Mr M!

:)

Mayhem 1
27-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Hiya Rob,

It was a shame you could not make it mate, but as you say next time and it will be great to have you along.

Vectis
27-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Are there really schools that pay £275?

Yep. There's a school I do an end-of-year thing for (they don't call it a Prom but to all intents and purposes it is) 7-11pm ages 7-16 about 200 kids and they pay £395. The only "extra" over and above the regular disco is a couple of projection screens for their yearbook photos (they sort out the slideshow).

I also do a couple of gigs a year for a college paying similar.

mikeee
27-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I do school "Promlets" for 12 and 13 year olds, normally about 100 kids for 2 hours, and thats £295.00. But like Paul said, getting more than £160.00 can be a problem, hence my visit to see Garry, I'm OK on the music (just) and a few games, but the "entertaining" side is very lacking, and when you have a room of 5 to 7 year olds, the "disco" is not quite enough.
Watching Garry last night I made 4 pages of notes, some I can impliment, some I won't be able to and others I can adapt.

Charlie Brown
27-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I have replaced two DJ's now who used to charge £120 for a school disco.

After the first gig both schools were prepared to pay my normal rate of £150 for two hours.

Have you tried to increase the price Paul? If they like you...they probably won't want to loose you.

Paul The Party Dj
27-04-2010, 11:03 AM
All our schools are infants or juniors - so all under 12 - one books 4 doubles and a leavers disco, the others are all just one or two per academic year. Unfortunately they are all price-driven, so now we are moving the prices up slowly - it's the only way to go. Thanks for the feedback chaps.