PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Hard Drive

RabbittsKaraoke
28-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Got a 50th birthday coming up on Thursday night (in my current residency) and I've just gone to plug in my Seagate HDD to check eveything is OK and the USB connector inside the drive has fallen off..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyone else got one of these HDDs? I've looked on various sites and it appears to be a common and serious problem with these. If you've got one, get another make....now....this minute!!

Trouble is with the Seagate is that it is a sealed unit, so i've had to smash my way though the casing to retrieve to actual disk, go out and buy a new enclosure, re-install all the windows 7 usb drivers. Luckily it's worked out for me.....but just a warning in case you have one of these.

Otherwise, I would have had to re-rip all of the karaoke CD's i've got.....i know, i know...I should have it backed up ;) and trust me, while i'm typing this i'm shoving it all onto my other laptop as a copy.

Vectis
28-04-2010, 09:45 AM
while i'm typing this i'm shoving it all onto my other laptop as a copy.

In accordance with your ProDub terms & conditions I presume? ;)

leelive
28-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Glad you were able to find a fix.
I have had issues with Seagate drives in the past. They use to be the industry standard - making drives for most manufacturers.. but I think they have compromised on quality for the retail market. I have used Buffalo for years with no problems.
Lee

Vectis
28-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Buffalo don't manufacture hard drives.

Currently it's Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate (incorporating Maxtor), Toshiba (incorporating Fujitsu) and Western Digital.

Open up your Buffalo and you'll find one of the above inside :)

RabbittsKaraoke
28-04-2010, 09:58 AM
In accordance with your ProDub terms & conditions I presume? ;)

Purely as a precaution Vectisvibe ;) Never to be used i'm sure of it

CRAZY K
28-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Got a 50th birthday coming up on Thursday night (in my current residency) and I've just gone to plug in my Seagate HDD to check eveything is OK and the USB connector inside the drive has fallen off..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyone else got one of these HDDs? I've looked on various sites and it appears to be a common and serious problem with these. If you've got one, get another make....now....this minute!!

Trouble is with the Seagate is that it is a sealed unit, so i've had to smash my way though the casing to retrieve to actual disk, go out and buy a new enclosure, re-install all the windows 7 usb drivers. Luckily it's worked out for me.....but just a warning in case you have one of these.

Otherwise, I would have had to re-rip all of the karaoke CD's i've got.....i know, i know...I should have it backed up ;) and trust me, while i'm typing this i'm shoving it all onto my other laptop as a copy.

Warning :confused: never had a problem with mine:confused:

As the guy on the speedboat said to me on Holiday=always have back up

Right ;)

CRAZY K

tgosoundandlight
29-04-2010, 10:08 AM
ive got a maxtor 3 years now and not had a problem with it

DJMaxG
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Currently it's Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate (incorporating Maxtor), Toshiba (incorporating Fujitsu) and Western Digital.

Mine is an IOmega - Do you reckon it is third party manafactured?

DJMaxG
24-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Actually, I also own a Seagate 2.5" USB drive, and yes it is sealed :)

I have only had it since December, so can't really say too much, but the USB socket doesn't yet feel weak.