PDA

View Full Version : Spare £4,000 - Mackie, RCF or QSC?

leelive
28-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi

I have been dazzled by the marketing of the Mackie HD active system.

I use Mackie SRM450s at the moment and was thinking of getting some subs to go with them... but since the launch of the HD range I am now wondering if I should just save up £4,000 and buy a completely new system.

As I don't yet have the cash and because am waiting to hear a demo of them I have been looking other systems

If you had a spare £4,000 which of these would you buy -
Mackie, RCF or QSC?

2 x HD1521 + 2 x HD1501
http://www.mackie.com/products/hdseries/

2 x ART525 + 2 x ART705
http://www.rcf.it/professional-speaker-systems/art-series

or
2 x QSC K12 + 2 x QSC KSub
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/k_series/

Just looking some advice before while I wait to get hear a demo of them all.

Lee

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I have used Mackie and currently use RCF. I use a pair of 325s and the 705 subs and it produces a magnificent sound, but the subs are heavy. It says 37 Kg, but I think they are heavier than the Mackie 1501 which comes in at 40Kg.

I have heard the QSC and like the sound and really like the fact that they are lightweight.

Demo then all, but keep in mind the weight issue and whether you work alone.

sweetie
28-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I went with the QSC option recently but as I only have room for one sub and was underwhelmed by the k sub on it's own I plumped for the QSC hpr 151i which altho a bit heavier (43Kg) is a good shape and size for lifting and goes nicely on my trolley.

Hi

I have been dazzled by the marketing of the Mackie HD active system.

I use Mackie SRM450s at the moment and was thinking of getting some subs to go with them... but since the launch of the HD range I am now wondering if I should just save up £4,000 and buy a completely new system.

As I don't yet have the cash and because am waiting to hear a demo of them I have been looking other systems

If you had a spare £4,000 which of these would you buy -
Mackie, RCF or QSC?

2 x HD1521 + 2 x HD1501
http://www.mackie.com/products/hdseries/

2 x ART525 + 2 x ART705
http://www.rcf.it/professional-speaker-systems/art-series

or
2 x QSC K12 + 2 x QSC KSub
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/k_series/

Just looking some advice before while I wait to get hear a demo of them all.

Lee

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I thought the Ksub was fairly good, admitedly for a smaller venue Sweetie. Why did you not like it?

deltic
28-04-2010, 12:51 PM
i have the k12's and can not fault them.

i have yet to deploy the 2 db subs with them.

blitz
28-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I use the RCF 525 and 705 subs, nice sounding cabs, tops are light weight at 16kg, subs are a bit akward but easily managable (says the man with a roadie lol)
with this system you have the best of both worlds as the tops are good on there own for small/medium sized venues and add the subs in for large venues or when you need more grunt.

The 525's can be a bit top heavey but hold back a bit on the highs on the mixer and they will sing not screech

I have the RCF 310 tops to and altho they can't really be used on there own when they are paired up with the subs imo it gives a better fuller sound, with a better mid

leelive
28-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks. I appreciate those comments. I might look at the 2x QSC subs purely from a size/weight factor.
Lee

sweetie
28-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I thought the Ksub was fairly good, admitedly for a smaller venue Sweetie. Why did you not like it?

I think they sound great with the two subs but transport wise I was limited to just one and preferred the single hpr 151i to the single K sub. I wanted to get as much bottom as I could for my money :) Got the k12s and hp151 at a bloody good price at christmas (approx £ 2000 for all three!)

Dynamic Entertainment
28-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I went down the route of a pair of RCF 312A and a pair of 705a subs...cant fault them and ive had sound engineers with bands say how great my sound is...as said...subs are heavy though :)

Shaun
28-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm another one that has gone down the RCF route (pair of ART 715's and pair of 905 subs) and I really like the sound from them. I used Mackie 450's and 1501's previously and much prefer the sound from the RCF. I doubt I'd ever go down the Mackie route again as I had nothing but problems with my previous system.

Charlie Brown
28-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I had nothing but problems with my previous system.

Great! :lol:

Shaun
28-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Great! :lol:

Panic not young Mr Brown. From previous postings here on the forum I'm definitely in the minority. I'm sure you'll have a trouble free time with your Mackies. :)

Cj_The_Dj
28-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I went down the route of a pair of RCF 312A and a pair of 705a subs...cant fault them and ive had sound engineers with bands say how great my sound is...as said...subs are heavy though :)

there not that bad.. i would say manageble unlike my old amp rack lol..

Shaun
28-04-2010, 10:24 PM
there not that bad.. i would say manageble unlike my old amp rack lol..

:ph34r:

*Edit: (Had that image sitting around for months just waiting for the right time to use it. :D )

Mark Wild
28-04-2010, 10:25 PM
LMAO Shaun !

Penfold42
28-04-2010, 10:28 PM
:lol: You sad little man! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shaun
28-04-2010, 10:30 PM
:lol: You sad little man! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rob will appreciate it. :P

Now where were we? :ontopic: :d

Excalibur
28-04-2010, 10:44 PM

Now where were we? :ontopic: :d

And for once, he will not be on his own. ;) ;) :D :D :D :D

If I had £4,000 to spend on a PA, first I'd use £2,000 to buy a bigger van, or a trailer. Then I'd fill 'em with.............................................. ......................:D :D :D :D :D :D

rob1963
28-04-2010, 11:11 PM

I did indeed!

:D

Disco Tech Liverpool
29-04-2010, 06:47 PM
None, I'd get over to Adlib Audio, www.adlibaudio.co.uk

leelive
06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
thanks for all your comments but Mackie have just solved my problem by launching the SRM1801s to match the SRM450s.... Will be ordering two. Anyone had a demo of them?

leelive
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I have decided to start saving my pennies and will buy the QSC system at the end of next month.

The best deal I have found so far is for £3359 (£3733 including Tote bags)

http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index.php/qsc-k-lite-4000w-active-pa-system.html

Anyone know of a better deal?

Lee

pwes
07-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Lee, before you take the plunge, pop to audioworks or other stockist and listen to the HK Actor system, there's a very good chance you will change your mind, and it's only slightly more expensive (if you shop in Germany hint hint)

DJMaxG
07-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I have only heard the Mackie SRM 450 v1, so cant comment there.

A while back though, Adam said that the Mackie HD1531 sounded better than the SRM 450 with sub woofers.

If weight concerns you, then go for ABS (plastic) passive cabinets.

leelive
07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Lee, before you take the plunge, pop to audioworks or other stockist and listen to the HK Actor system, there's a very good chance you will change your mind, and it's only slightly more expensive (if you shop in Germany hint hint)

thanks, afraid size was a factor in my decision. That would be too big too fit in my Box Van
http://www.iwt.co.uk/resource/eng/1413.11069.thumbnail.eng.jpg
All the best
Lee

TONYTIGER
07-08-2010, 12:22 PM
QSC every time.

DJMaxG
07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
thanks, afraid size was a factor in my decision. That would be too big too fit in my Box Van

In other words, you are looking for a sytem comprising of only 1x15" and horn/piezos maximum, with no sub woofers.

You could put some of it in the car :d

sweetie
07-08-2010, 05:23 PM
i have those K12s with a hpr sub and love em!

Leicester Ben
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
The Mackie kit has always served me well in the past, one thing that is worth mentioning however is that £4,000 is a lot of money to spend on something that will pretty much do what your current system does.

As a business purchase is it a good idea?

leelive
08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
The Mackie kit has always served me well in the past, one thing that is worth mentioning however is that £4,000 is a lot of money to spend on something that will pretty much do what your current system does.

As a business purchase is it a good idea?

I have yet to go for a demo of the QSC.. but will be doing before buying.

Can it really be as good as my Mackie set-up? I don't have subs at the moment. Also, I will be going from 800w to 4000w...

Have you heard them side-by-side?
As a vocalist I am also drawn to the Vocal Boost on the K12s.

Lee

flatliners
08-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Another suggestion what about void acoustics system nice sound ,

Happy Jack
08-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Not a fan with powered cabinets with 'dummy' buttons applying their own flavour of DSP / EQ. Better off with a graphic, imo, and leave any sort of 'Mega Bass Inferno' buttons well alone.

I will be going from 800w to 4000w...

Orly?

My money would be going towards a 2nd hand Turbosound TQ308DP / 115DP system.

ftp://ftp.turbosound.com/user_manuals/tqman.pdf

I don't know what list price is, but you may want to look at the Outline Kanguro system if space is a factor?

http://www.outline.it/Kanguro.htm

http://www.outline.it/products/pdf_eng/Kanguro%201215%20A.pdf

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2010, 11:05 AM
My money would be going towards a 2nd hand Turbosound TQ308DP / 115DP system.

Ah, but are you a wedding singer? Let's not forget what the OP needs it for.

TONYTIGER
08-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Can it really be as good as my Mackie set-up? I don't have subs at the moment. Also, I will be going from 800w to 4000w...

Lee

Not that i am a fan of plastic powered systems,having had a lot of systems through the workshop the K series from QSC are pretty good and are quite manageable subs and tops have the same amp module and the K12 can be used on there own for smaller gigs.
Fohnn and FBT are also outstanding i did a lot of testing and research when i decided to replace all our RCF systems and listen to over 15 different systems
one clear winner Nexo.
If your going to Audioworks have a listen.

Happy Jack
08-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Let's not forget what the OP needs it for.
Sound reinforcement? Just a hunch...

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Sound reinforcement? Just a hunch...

And this is called the mobile disco directory - perhaps you are on the wrong forum?

He wants it for his job as a wedding singer. No need for the sarcasm - you are suggesting something that is probably not suitable, but then there are many people on here that don't bother to read the whole thread and just wade in with something unsuitable.

Excalibur
08-08-2010, 12:02 PM
And this is called the mobile disco directory - perhaps you are on the wrong forum?

He wants it for his job as a wedding singer. No need for the sarcasm - you are suggesting something that is probably not suitable, but then there are many people on here that don't bother to read the whole thread and just wade in with something unsuitable.

So no need for me to post a link to a twelve cab setup which would save £2000 then? :whistle:

Happy Jack
08-08-2010, 12:32 PM
...you are suggesting something that is probably not suitable...

Not wanting to derail the thread, but have you even looked at the two systems I suggested?

...purely from a size/weight factor.

...afraid size was a factor in my decision.

Each system I posted seems to tick a lot of boxes, Darren. Compact. Relatively lightweight. Powered. Greater SPL. Within budget...

The 308's, like the asymmetric HF guide on the Nexo PS tops, allow you to rotate the horn for optimum coverage and cabinet placement. Very useful in the event of playing a narrow, long hall, I would've thought, where stage space is at a premium.

The Kanguro is, quite possibly, the finest compact system design on the market. IMO. That seems to be something the OP is looking for, no?

Enlighten me. What is so unsuitable about these two systems? The .pdf links are there...

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Not wanting to derail the thread, but have you even looked at the two systems I suggested?

Each system I posted seems to tick a lot of boxes, Darren. Compact. Relatively lightweight. Powered. Greater SPL. Within budget...

The 308's, like the asymmetric HF guide on the Nexo PS tops, allow you to rotate the horn for optimum coverage and cabinet placement. Very useful in the event of playing a narrow, long hall, I would've thought, where stage space is at a premium.

The Kanguro is, quite possibly, the finest compact system design on the market. IMO. That seems to be something the OP is looking for, no?

Enlighten me. What is so unsuitable about these two systems? The .pdf links are there...

I'll enlighten you. Read the thread - it says Spare £4000 - Mackie, RCF or QSC.

Doesn't mention Turbosound and I'm pretty sure it doesn't say second hand either. :)

Within budget? :confused:

I don't know what list price is

Happy Jack
08-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I'll enlighten you. Read the thread - it says Spare £4000 - Mackie, RCF or QSC.

Hmm, I see. So it has to be from one of those three manufacturers. Okay then...

Doesn't mention Turbosound and I'm pretty sure it doesn't say second hand either. :)

Pedantry, Darren. The OP asked for advice, I shall stand by what I've written.

Within budget? :confused:

Outline, being a relatively obscure Italian manufacturer, do not have much web presence in the online shops. The only instance I have found is here -

http://www.lightingelstore.com/servlet/the-138/KANGURO-COMPACT-FULL-RANGE/Detail

On sale for $3,799.00. So, once again Darren, I do not know the list price, but can assure the OP that it would be within his budget.

Nice edit, as well. You gonna pick any more holes? ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Hmm, I see. So it has to be from one of those three manufacturers. Okay then...

Pedantry, Darren. The OP asked for advice, I shall stand by what I've written.

Outline, being a relatively obscure Italian manufacturer, do not have much web presence in the online shops. The only instance I have found is here -

http://www.lightingelstore.com/servlet/the-138/KANGURO-COMPACT-FULL-RANGE/Detail

On sale for $3,799.00. So, once again Darren, I do not know the list price, but can assure the OP that it would be within his budget.

Nice edit, as well. You gonna pick any more holes? ;)

I wasn't the one who made a stupid sarcastic comment.

Now I suggest you leave it there.

sweetie
08-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Lee

the 4000w thing is a bit misleading. better off looking at spl...

Happy Jack
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM
the 4000w thing is a bit misleading. better off looking at spl...
Unfortunately Darren has said that the OP isn't interested in SPL. Only RCF, QSC or Mackie.

:confused:

Excalibur
08-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately Darren has said that the OP isn't interested in SPL. Only RCF, QSC or Mackie.

Now that's funny. :D :D :D :D :D Well done.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-08-2010, 09:42 AM

You can't just leave it can you?

leelive
09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
thank you for all your comments and suggestions. If mackie had made smaller subs I may have simply added some to my existing set-up. I am attracted to the KSubs as they are only 6inches wider than the SRM450s... they will fit neatly into my boxvan. I also like the fact that they have wheels on them.
Now off to listen to them. All the best, Lee.

Digital Jack
21-10-2010, 12:03 AM
The problem is this , when did a demo room ever audibly replicate a function room ?

Dynamic Entertainment
21-10-2010, 09:14 AM
The problem is this , when did a demo room ever audibly replicate a function room ?

Its better than nothing...how many retailers will let you test drive the stuff first?

**This is a genuine question as we only have one supplier in the whole county and they are useless.

leelive
21-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I used the QSC K12s and KSubs for the first time at the weekend. They just didn't seem to have the power I was expecting. The clarity of the sound is better than the Mackie SRM450s.... But I must be so used to the aggressive sound of the 450s that I actually missed them. Still got a set of v2s so will be using them for smaller gigs. I also thought the usual dymanic "party" atmosphere that expect from the 450s just wasn't there. I need to try the QSC system in different locations to ensure it wasn't just how I had to set the EQ for the shape of the room.
Lee

DJ Tony McQue
21-10-2010, 08:44 PM
That was a bit of an expensive mistake (says the man who spent £700 on a Db sub and sold it 2 weeks later for £500). I have never heard the QSC speakers, in reviews they seem to be favoured by keyboard players for their clarity. I went from the SRM450s to RCF (a pair of 310s, 312s and a 705 sub). Absolutely no regrets.

Jiggles
21-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I have heard a pair of QSC actives set of tops and bottoms older models though. They were nice and punchy. Them by themselves done a large hall rather nicely.

surround sounds
21-10-2010, 09:36 PM
RCF all the way i got 4 rcf art722 and 2 art905.I went fron jbl eons to rcf.I love them