PDA

View Full Version : New name, new focus ... help please

WWDJ
28-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Hello!

Bit of a whiteboard thread this one, looking for ideas, tips etc.

I'm a part time DJ and I do the local circuit and have a 'recommendation' from a local WMC that gets me about 50%-70% of my work. I have DJ'd pretty much all my life, but I kind of came back to it Sept 2007 and have gradually been improving my kit, the look of it and my skills since then.

I've done a couple of really great wedding parties recently outside the WMC and to be honest when I go back i am kind of thinking ... 'I'm better than this' .. 'time to move onwards and upwards'

Full time job and small child means that i am looking for no more than about 20 gigs a year, but i would like 20 nice weddings to do, not Joe's 80th where 30 people turn up as an excuse to get bladdered (you know where i'm coming from)

Also once the house is paid for (next 10 years hopefully less), i want to give up the mind numbing (but well paid) day job and do something less stressful, reasonably local and where I am in control. The nice PAT test man who does my kit gave me some thoughts as actually the entry level cost is fairly low and the training period is short. OK, so it is repetitive, but it's not strenuous and you are out meeting people albeit to check their plug.

So ...

Part 1 - turn myself in a great wedding dj and market as such, for 20 gigs only. This would rise to more gigs when/if the day job goes

Part 2 - move into doing PAT testing.

The idea is that the combined income of both is enough to live on and i am in charge of my own diary so i can balance both jobs, family and social life.

For names, i'm not big on the <firstname><surname>, <initials> type names, sorry folks :) as my name is pretty common and dull, and after a quick brainstorming session in my head of 5 minutes i came up with ...

PLUSONE

so... www.plusoneentertainments.com ... www.plusonepattesting.com ...

kind of a brand really, with a simple logo that can we used for both if necessary.

Anyhow, it's a whiteboard, so thoughts, ideas, tips etc please

This is just the beginning of the journey ...

Mark Wild
28-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll sell you those domains for £100, I just bought them. :)

Ukbride Owner
28-04-2010, 01:46 PM
lol Mark - you are all in competition, I knew it!!!

lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm sure Mark was joking....

Mark Wild
28-04-2010, 01:49 PM
lol Mark - you are all in competition, I knew it!!!

lol

:lol: I didn't buy it, I was just making a point to help a fellow MDD member out, not a good Idea to post a prospective website/domain Idea before you've bought it. Unlucky Julian lol ;)

James
28-04-2010, 02:01 PM
wasn't plusone one of the names that scammer dj used who was on watchdog?

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2010, 02:03 PM

No. That was something similar.

WWDJ
28-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Probably not a good idea, but if someone feels the need to buy them just to annoy me then go ahead and waste your money :D

Anyhow, back on topic what do people think and what advice can anyone offer ?

... and if there are reasons why my idea would be a bad one, then let me know too :)

Vectis
28-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I've given this advice before, but I'll do it again.

When you've narrowed down your choice of brand identity, google it.

If you have a common name or phrase, then you have an SEO mountain to climb to get on top of the pile and differentiate yourself.

Maybe have a think about a totally nodescript brand name not used elsewhere in this or other industries and make like easy for yourself.

VV ;)

WWDJ
28-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I've given this advice before, but I'll do it again.

When you've narrowed down your choice of brand identity, google it.

If you have a common name or phrase, then you have an SEO mountain to climb to get on top of the pile and differentiate yourself.

Maybe have a think about a totally nodescript brand name not used elsewhere in this or other industries and make like easy for yourself.

VV ;)

105 million results! ... I guess the thing is though unless they know my is 'cranberryfishentertainments' they will be searching for Warwickshire wedding dj or something like that.

i do need to learn about SEO because if i take my wifes company for example, then if you search for the business name it hits the top result for the business type 'Warwickshire HR Consultant', it doesn't even hit the first page.

WWDJ
29-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Any further ideas guys on how i can move forward into the wedding marketing and on branding (cue animal jokes ...) :)