PDA

View Full Version : cortex update

boomer
01-05-2010, 10:01 AM
New to digital please go easy

Just got a second hand cortex HDC 1000 mainly as a back up (this unit is in good condition and not been used much)
I’m trying to update to 2.5.2 (hdc1000_update.gci) the machine is at 1.9.1
I follow all the instructions as laid out by their web site
The unit excepts the memory stick but does not automatically find the update it just says
“ device has no database perform indexing now”

I understand that the unit should find this update automatically is that correct

Corabar Steve
01-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Please take the time to introduce yourself in the Newbies Section of the forum

Excalibur
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Just got a second hand cortex HDC 1000 mainly as a back up (this unit is in good condition and not been used much)
The unit excepts the memory stick but does not automatically find the update it just says

I understand that the unit should find this update automatically is that correct

Hello mate, all I've ever done is to put the update onto an EMPTY stick, and follow the instructions. Let us know how you get on.

deltic
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
needs to be top level and on an empty stick.(not compressed or in a folder)

if you are still failing,download the firmware and start again.

Excalibur
01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
needs to be top level and on an empty stick.(not compressed or in a folder)

if you are still failing,download the firmware and start again.

Now you see, cos I'm not a computer genius like most folk on here, I just let it wander off and find a space it likes*. I don't know whether it's living in the basement, or the penthouse. :confused: :confused: As long as the Cortex can find it, that's all I want.

*This method is not recommended for creating a music hard drive, though. If I'd known then, what I know now............................................... ........................:( :( :o :o :o

boomer
01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
yep on an empty stick..

Also Just set it up I can get it playing via a stick no problem but when I plug a hard drive in nothing happens it still asks for a device

The hard dive is a external powered WD 1TB

Excalibur
01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
yep on an empty stick..

Also Just set it up I can get it playing via a stick no problem but when I plug a hard drive in nothing happens it still asks for a device

The hard dive is a external powered WD 1TB

That's curious. :confused: My initial suspicion is a faulty unit. :( :( I've never had any trouble getting mine to recognise a powered HD of any flavour. :confused:

boomer
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I thought I would try my ipod classic it recognises that and every thing is ok until I go to the ipod play lists and according the cortex they are empty

the problem is I'm not sure if it’s the unit or its just me

don't suppose their is any body in the sussex area who has one of these

Excalibur
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I thought I would try my ipod classic it recognises that and every thing is ok until I go to the ipod play lists and according the cortex they are empty

the problem is I'm not sure if it’s the unit or its just me

don't suppose their is any body in the sussex area who has one of these

I'm out of my depth here, cos I've only ever made one playlist, and can't remember how, but I think there are drive letter issues. ( ie you have to change something for the Cortex to read them.)

Can you get hold of another powered HD? Index it first with Cortex manager, and see if that works. Elimination is the best way forward.

boomer
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I have now got the ipod working that was down to me not setting the ipod up

So hopefully with some persistence will eventually sort out the hard drive problem

Thanks anyway

CRAZY K
01-05-2010, 07:45 PM
That's curious. :confused: My initial suspicion is a faulty unit. :( :( I've never had any trouble getting mine to recognise a powered HD of any flavour. :confused:

HMMMMM:confused:

Before playing any more guessing games ring up the Cortex Help Line in the UK --I dont have the number but presumably its around--my Dealer put me in touch some years ago and they were very helpful---talk to them.

Horses mouth and all that;)

Cortex owner

Excalibur
01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
HMMMMM:confused:

Before playing any more guessing games ring up the Cortex Help Line in the UK --I dont have the number but presumably its around--my Dealer put me in touch some years ago and they were very helpful---talk to them.

Horses mouth and all that;)

Cortex owner

Blimey!!! You can use the telephone to get help? Bit last years model, surely? :p :D :D :D

Google didn't find it, sorry. :(

CRAZY K
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Blimey!!! You can use the telephone to get help? Bit last years model, surely? :p :D :D :D

Google didn't find it, sorry. :(

Au contrare

This years model is GETTING THE ANSWER.

You havent.:p

Spose ill have to phone up my dealer and get it Tuesday:eek:

I work in a results business.

This reminds me of those smart bottoms who continually brag about booking Flights and Holidays direct on THE iNTERNET.

Whose laughing now--we got brought back FOC 4 days late from Mexico by a proper Travel Operator, I imagine theres lots of those clever Internet smart bottoms still waiting for a flight.:D :D :D

The 4 days delay was spent FREE in the Mexican Hotel 80F degress all day and all inclusive at the cost of the Travel Company.

Google is NOT the definitive answer.

Hee hee!

drcrippen324
05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
for some reason every where i have read after having the same problem is cortex dosent like WD hard drives

Creature
20-06-2010, 03:44 PM
not true im using a 400 gig WD drive and have done with no issues for teh last year or so.

check jumper setting on harddrive as Coprtex sometimes dont pick up hard drive if set to slave

best advice has already been given try another harddrive

Excalibur
20-06-2010, 04:47 PM
for some reason every where i have read after having the same problem is cortex dosent like WD hard drives

What the Cortex definitely doesn't like is unpowered Hard Drives, of whatever make. I'm struggling to get mine to talk to portable drives.

CRAZY K
20-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Thats the message when plugging in a stick or hard drive with no Cortex .db (Database file) file on it--the file needed to allow you to use the machine with a hard drive or external device--- but normally it asks if you wish to perform the task--not seen it work automatically:confused:

Why do you want to update--is it essential--if not I would leave well alone, mine works perfectly and I dont think I ever used any update---in fact on the second machine I phoned Cortex and BACKDATED my version because I seemed to have an issue with my keyboard on the version supplied with the machine.

I cant remember exactly how I backdated mine--:eek: they did email me a patch which I put on a stick and applied it to the machine--somehow.

If you have major issues contact Cortex--but its an 0870 number--I can find it from my dealer if you need it.

Hang on just noticed I have already offered this advice before--did you get to the bottom of this problem?

boomer
21-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I have two WD hard drives and both are not recognised even with the Cortex db so I went out and brought a iomega prestige 500gb and that seems to work the guy at my local DJ shop contacted cortex and we tried various versions even trying back dating it to then go foreword but for some reason the machine will not update

The only issue I have now with it is if one deck is playing and I search using the browser in the other deck there is slight skip in the music while the hard drive is searching but I have noticed other threads on this hence the update thought this may help with this problem I only use it as a back up and playing the odd requests so at the moment its not a real problem

CRAZY K
21-06-2010, 08:18 PM
The only issue I have now with it is if one deck is playing and I search using the browser in the other deck there is slight skip in the music while the hard drive is searching but I have noticed other threads on this hence the update thought this may help with this problem I only use it as a back up and playing the odd requests so at the moment its not a real problem

I think Creature might have the answer to this possibly:confused:

soundtracker
21-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I have two WD hard drives and both are not recognised even with the Cortex db so I went out and brought a iomega prestige 500gb and that seems to work the guy at my local DJ shop contacted cortex and we tried various versions even trying back dating it to then go foreword but for some reason the machine will not update

You can stop the skipping by using the cortex manager software.

ppentertainments
21-06-2010, 08:55 PM
You can stop the skipping by using the cortex manager software.
I have also found using an unpowered HD gives the same effect.

Excalibur
21-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I have also found using an unpowered HD gives the same effect.

Well mine doesn't like the single cable unpowered ones I've offered it. Won't talk to them at all. :( :( I can't remember if I've tried with a twin cable HD. :confused:

ppentertainments
21-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Well mine doesn't like the single cable unpowered ones I've offered it. Won't talk to them at all. :( :( I can't remember if I've tried with a twin cable HD. :confused:
I did and it 'stuttered' when selecting tracks. :(

Excalibur
22-06-2010, 05:57 AM
I did and it 'stuttered' when selecting tracks. :(

Hmmm, what a shame. :( I built my powered hard drives into the playout cases, to save setup and cabling, but it means bringing the whole thing into the house to work on the HD. I'd like to try one of these swappable HD holders, but I'm loath to buy another set of hard drives to go with them. One day, maybe.