PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Radio Mic

Cj_The_Dj
03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Guys & Girls, I'm Just after a good quality something like an SM58 wireless (i borrowed an old one with the Ariel in the bottom and it sounded ace) or a seny ew100 i have a MAX budget of £150 shiped and i would perfersomthing i can rackmount..

cheers guys

Spirits High
03-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I've been reading good reviews about these:

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR326454

worth a look and a look elsewhere as you'll probably get it cheaper ;)

DJ James Lake
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM

Excellent mics, I would highly recommend.

csg
03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
before you spend any money, are you aware that frequency allocations are changing in 2012 and most UHF radiomics which use ch62 - 69 frequencies will be unusable?

The channels that these radiomics currently use will be used for new digital TV services and data - with high power transmission which will squash any low powered use from radio mics

futher, it will be illegal to use radiomic equipment on these frequencies.

New systems, operating in the ch38 area will be available soon.

so, might be a while to wait a while before investing any money! Its going to cost me several thousand pounds to change my radio kit over, great!

DJ James Lake
03-05-2010, 11:22 PM
before you spend any money, are you aware that frequency allocations are changing in 2012 and most UHF radiomics which use ch62 - 69 frequencies will be unusable?

The channels that these radiomics currently use will be used for new digital TV services and data - with high power transmission which will squash any low powered use from radio mics

futher, it will be illegal to use radiomic equipment on these frequencies.

New systems, operating in the ch38 area will be available soon.

so, might be a while to wait a while before investing any money! Its going to cost me several thousand pounds to change my radio kit over, great!

How does that actually translate to the UHF frequesncies, my mic operates on channel 70.

I found this info on the Freeport

"The Freeport is Sennheiser's budget UHF full-diversity radio microphone system, providing four user-selectable channels within the range 863-865MHz (licence-free in the UK) or 742.5-744.5MHz (for use only in the US and some European countries). All models supplied in the UK should operate in the licence-exempt band, which, I believe, is also unaffected by the introduction of the new digital TV channels and consequent spectrum re-allocation in the future (see our feature on wireless system licensing in the September 2005 issue of SOS Live). The four frequencies will operate simultaneously, free of intermodulation, so you can use up to four Freeport systems together (you will need a separate receiver for each microphone). A point to note is that the frequencies used by the Freeport are not exactly the same as those used in other radio systems from Sennheiser, such as the Evolution range, and you'll need to check frequency compatibility if combining different "

csg
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Ch70 mics should be OK, but with the frequency shift, that band is likely to become extremely busy, so the likelyhood of intermodulation and interference will grow.

unfortunately, there are a lot of variables with this situation, and it is a royal pain if you operate a lot of radio kit. It is obviously in manufaturers interest to maintain that " everything will be fine", but personally im taking it with a pinch of salt.

It should be noted that if you decide to purhchase new kit on ch38 when it comes available, it will need a licence.

Personally, im now very glad i kept a lot of my old quality Micron and Sennheiser VHF kit when i invested in UHF a few years ago - i can see that comming out to play for a while during the changeover!

spin mobile disco
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Someone told me (this is from someone else so dont take it as gospel) that the london olympics will require too many channels for them realocate before then. So the realocation may not happen was the gist of what he says. He works in the BBC so he may have an ear closer to the ground than me.

CRAZY K
04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Ch70 mics should be OK, but with the frequency shift, that band is likely to become extremely busy, so the likelyhood of intermodulation and interference will grow.

unfortunately, there are a lot of variables with this situation, and it is a royal pain if you operate a lot of radio kit. It is obviously in manufaturers interest to maintain that " everything will be fine", but personally im taking it with a pinch of salt.

It should be noted that if you decide to purhchase new kit on ch38 when it comes available, it will need a licence.

Personally, im now very glad i kept a lot of my old quality Micron and Sennheiser VHF kit when i invested in UHF a few years ago - i can see that comming out to play for a while during the changeover!

Isnt that asking for Taxi messages being broadcast over the PA ( again )

:confused:

One step forwards two steps back :eek:

Ah well probably time to buy a new Radio Mike in 2012-- tax deductable and all that:D

WWDJ
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM

I have one of these and its ok. i haven't compared it to anything but 2.5 years use for announcements and stuff, plus the mic just gets chucked in a laptop bag, it is doing fine. Does well on batteries too.

yourdj
04-05-2010, 04:21 PM
http://www.audiopalace.de/images/product_images/popup_images/akg-ht40_pro_N4796049332822.jpg

one word brilliant! - i have a duel set for £170 on ebay.

A1DL
04-05-2010, 04:32 PM
i have a duel set for £170

well, may the best man win the money!

Corabar Entertainment
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
i have a MAX budget of £150 shiped and i would perfersomthing i can rackmount..

cheers guys
£170 on ebay.:whistle:

csg
05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Isnt that asking for Taxi messages being broadcast over the PA ( again )

:confused:

One step forwards two steps back :eek:

Ah well probably time to buy a new Radio Mike in 2012-- tax deductable and all that:D

there is actually very little wrong with VHF - the main reason why manufacturers migrated towards UHF is that it is easier and cheaper to make digitally tuned frequency agile systems at the higher frequencies.

All the VHF kit i still own is on licenced channels between 180 and 220MHz, so interference from taxi's etc is not a problem.

The main changeover is due to take place in late 2012, after the olympics if my information here is correct, so hopefully it wont be a complete farce...