PDA

View Full Version : Twitter profile widget

Spirits High
08-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm contemplating including a twitter feed into my homepage. It'll look like the screen shot below the black grey box on the left the and can be custom coloured , sized etc

Anyone else do it or thought about doing it?

DJWilson
08-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't see the point in Twitter for a mobile disco IMO.

Jiggles
08-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't see the point in twitter full stop. xD

Spirits High
08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I don't see the point in Twitter for a mobile disco IMO.

Depends how you use it. I've got venues , wedding planners and other wedding related followers that may need a Dj or know someone that does.

I think you need to embrace things like twitter, facebook etc

WWDJ
09-05-2010, 01:05 AM
I am currently refreshing my website and I am considering the same though probably I am just going to do a 'follow me' button. Same for facebook 'become a fan'

I then have a option of applying the feed on my website however I don't think I want it on my homepage detracting from the main message so I'm not sure how it will work for me yet. Maybe a smaller box with just one or two tweets in might work ...

Spirits High
09-05-2010, 08:14 AM
I am currently refreshing my website and I am considering the same though probably I am just going to do a 'follow me' button. Same for facebook 'become a fan'

I then have a option of applying the feed on my website however I don't think I want it on my homepage detracting from the main message so I'm not sure how it will work for me yet. Maybe a smaller box with just one or two tweets in might work ...

When Marc did the latest update to my site we did put on the FB and twitter follow bits on the homepage just subtly down the bottom of the page. If this twitter update was to happen then I would hope to put it under the navigation menu. But if it spoils the aestheics of the page then it's not going to happen :D

No doubt Marc will be along soon to advise if this is the current web trend etc ;)

Vectis
09-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Paul

You'll have seen the same gadget on a certain other directory site ;)

It's been there for about a year. When it was first added, twitter results were being shown in Google searches usually above the fold and normally showing very recent content.

However I've noticed that this isn't always so any more ... maybe its because Google don't blindly trust Twitter content to be deserving of such placement any more - after all they are well known for 'optimising' their search techniques.

My experience with the gadget is that you can only set it to return a single set of search results or from a single twitter account. Fine if 'spiritshighdj' is going to be tweeting on a very regular basis (like a couple of times a day) with content relevant to your website visitors, but there's only so many times you can tweet "The best wedding DJ in Chesterfield - Spirits High" before it gets spammy ... and anyway, why would you want such tweets to appear on your website homepage? You'd ideally want 'teasers' that would be meaningful to and work for a) for the general twitterati and b) your website visitors. Think of them as dynamic URLs. So, a series of messages such as:

"Wide range of venue mood lighting options by Spirits High DJ Chesterfield" (with a link to the relevant website page)

and

"Stunning LED Dancefloor Hire by Spirits High DJ Chesterfield" (+ link) etc.

so that

a) you're pushing useful content onto twitter, ie anyone searching "Dancefloor Chesterfield" will find your post and URL to your dancefloors page

and

b) anyone sitting on your homepage staring at the gadget will see the same and think "ooh - dancefloors, I hadn't noticed those in the main navigation menu" :)

BUT this will only work if you're tweeting regularly otherwise it'll go stale.

Marc J
09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd use something like http://tweet.seaofclouds.com/ so that you could grab tweets from all over, i.e. anything mentioning spiritshighdj - have to be very trusting, though, and keep a close eye on it!