PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable

Mayhem 1
13-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Phone rings at 02:30am this morning and I answer it worried because son is in Hamburg!!!

Me – Hello
Caller – Is this the jester?
Me – Pardon
Caller – Yes, is this the jester?
Me – have you got the right number? this is The Bumble 'B' Roadshow
Caller – yes, I got it off your website, is this the jester?
Me – are you looking for entertainment?
Caller – yes I want to book a jester for my daughter’s party
Me – Could you possibly call back after 8am when the office line opens?
Caller – why, I want to book you for a party right now
Caller – don’t you want the work?
Me – of course I do but it is bit early to quote for a party madam
Caller – Ok then, let’s talk your fee then for this 2 hour party
Me (now wide awake quotes for the party)
Caller – whoa...that is far to expensive I have made 5 other calls and I have got it down to £ 45.00 and I thought you would do it cheaper it is only a kiddie’s party.
Me – I provide a fast paced children’s show and it is far more than just a disco which is why I quoted you the fee I did.
Caller – I am surprised you get any work at all you are way to expensive
Me – I am sorry you think that way madam but this is my profession
Caller – Far to dear, good day to you

Do you chaps think I was fair in the way I handled this call?

deltic
13-05-2010, 06:55 AM
at 2.30 in the morning i wouldn't even have got as far as "have you got the right number".

think you handled it very well you must have the patience of a saint.

Mayhem 1
13-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks mate, like I said I only answered it as I thought it might have been my son.

deltic
13-05-2010, 07:26 AM
yeah if my phone had rung at that time i would have answered it,just in case it was one of the kids,daughter just passed her test a month ago and tends to stay out late,which leaves the parents lying in bed worrying,otherwise answering machine would have got it.

Charlie Brown
13-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Wow.

That's actually freaky and creped me out.

The word "jester" can be quite freaky.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get another.

Mayhem 1
13-05-2010, 08:05 AM
*UPDATE*

The lady has just called me back saying that she has seen my show many times before and would really like to book me and could I do her a "one off fee" of £25.00 because it is "only a kiddies party"!!!!!!!

I again explained that what I do is my living then she replied with "anyone can just play a few cd's for £25.00"

When I said that there is far more to entertaining children she just said "ok it is your loss"

RabbittsKaraoke
13-05-2010, 09:00 AM
*UPDATE*

The lady has just called me back saying that she has seen my show many times before and would really like to book me and could I do her a "one off fee" of £25.00 because it is "only a kiddies party"!!!!!!!

I again explained that what I do is my living then she replied with "anyone can just play a few cd's for £25.00"

When I said that there is far more to entertaining children she just said "ok it is your loss"

I would be seriously tempted to accept and turn up to the party with a hi-fi (complete with Now 62) and a punch and judy puppet :mad: :mad:

DJ Jules
13-05-2010, 09:12 AM
If you dial 1471 does her phone number include the STD code for Mars??

I'd have told her clearly that I don't break the law - i.e. there's a minimum wage in this country and 4hrs work for £25.00 takes it WELL under the minimum hourly rate for an adult.

Julian

Mayhem 1
13-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Hiya Rabbitt,

Thanks for your reply mate.

You have just described one of my local discos there mate!!!!! maybe I should have given her his number.

DJ Jules. Hiya buddy, how goes things have you used any of my show in yours yet mate?? As far as 1471 she witheld her number suprise suprise

rob1963
13-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I think you handled the call well, Mr M.

To be honest, I wouldn't even have answered the phone at that time.

The ringer is permanently switched off on the phone in my bedroom, so unless I was awake I probably wouldn't hear it anyway.

According to my caller display, there have been a few times when I've received calls at silly o'clock (from witheld numbers), presumably from idiots just messing around. By having the ringer off, I've avoided being woken up for nothing.

When I last mentioned that I do this, someone asked what would happen in an emergency. Simple...they'd have to leave a message or call back in the morning.

The chances of someone I know having an emergency in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep are very low anyway.

Mayhem 1
13-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Hiya Rob buddy,

I thought I handled the call very well mate but for her to phone back asking if I can do it for £25.00 - :bang: :bang:

Corabar Entertainment
13-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Well, as we have a separate business line, I wouldn't have answered at all, but if I had the business on the home line, I would have answered like you did Gary - worried that it was an emergency.

However, I most certainly would not have quoted!

Anyone who would ring at 2:30am in the morning to request a quote is most definitely NOT my customer!

...and 4hrs work for £25.00 takes it WELL under the minimum hourly rate for an adult.Actually, no it doesn't. (Min wage is currently £5.80ph, from memory, so 4 x £5.80 = £23.20)

However, as I keep saying on here: the amount you charge is not the amount you get paid.... most of us have overheads! :p

Paul The Party Dj
13-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Good grief - I'd be tempted to ask her what she'd do for £25!

rob1963
13-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Anyone who would ring at 2:30am in the morning to request a quote is most definitely NOT my customer!

Good point Angela, and that's exactly what I was thinking after typing my previous post.

Anyone who phones a business for a quote at 2.30 in the morning clearly has a screw loose or isn't all there...and I really wouldn't want to be working for someone like that.

Corabar Entertainment
13-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Anyone who phones a business for a quote at 2.30 in the morning clearly has a screw loose or isn't all there...and I really wouldn't want to be working for someone like that.:thumbsup:

Penfold42
13-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Why not ring her back at 2:30am and ask for her address.....so you know where to send the invoice just in case. :sj:

See how they like it.......:D :D :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-05-2010, 12:07 PM
This is the very reason I have separate lines for business and home.

mikeee
13-05-2010, 01:00 PM
There you go Garry, I said Clowning around would get you into trouble :)

Mayhem 1
13-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks for that Mike mate!!!

NKR
13-05-2010, 02:25 PM
You are too polite Mr Mayhem.

I don't suffer fools and the discussion would never have gotten that far.

I bet they spend more than that in the pub every Friday and Saturday night and won't pay for a proper entertainer for their childs party.

You don't want to be working for people of that sort of ignorance!

Edit - Off thread, but can I tap you up for some free advice later in the year. We have volunteered our services for a childrens party for charity (Derian House in Chorley. They look after terminally ill kids, god bless them). It's a free job as they have found it impossible to get anyone to do anything for free for them in the past. Want to make it as good as it can be so wanted to pick your brain.

Mayhem 1
13-05-2010, 02:52 PM
My nan always told me to be polite mate!!!

I would love to phone them up at 02:30am but they witheld their number

thex-faders
13-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Good grief - I'd be tempted to ask her what she'd do for £25!

Brilliant! Liking this reply!

Starlight
13-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Brilliant! Liking this reply!
Goodness grief, this is extreme Gary - 2:30am :eek:

You know what, if I was you, I'd play along with them and get their contact phone number and just to get your onw back, phone them back up, that's if they phone you up silly o'clock in the morning.

See how they'd like it mate lol! :D

Neil.

STEVE HANLEY
13-05-2010, 07:07 PM
This was a wind up mate surely? You were too expensive when you quoted her at 2 past god knows what time in the morning.

How on earth did she think you'd be even cheaper a few hours later?

When she said it's your loss. I'd have said no pet (Geordie accent) it's your loss you pond life (Para expression) Goodbye.

I wish I could say don't lose any sleep over it mate but you already did

rob1963
13-05-2010, 08:44 PM
When she said it's your loss. I'd have said no pet (Geordie accent) it's your loss you pond life (Para expression) Goodbye.

When she said "It's your loss" I'd have said "No - it WOULD have been my loss if I'd accepted the booking at the price you want to pay...because after expenses I wouldn't have made a penny out of it!"

CRAZY K
14-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Why not ring her back at 2:30am and ask for her address.....so you know where to send the invoice just in case. :sj:

See how they like it.......:D :D :D :D :D

Top tip Tony, exactly what I would do.

Dont get mad---get even --who said that :confused:

Revenge is sweet;) ;)

Mayhem 1
14-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Gentlemen:

I have found out that this booking has now been covered by the disco mentioned in post No9

And what will be very interesting chaps is this lady's children go to a school I am at TONIGHT!!!!

Will keep you posted on that.

STEVE HANLEY
14-05-2010, 06:57 AM
I now do kids parties (by accident cos I don't advertise I do them) have at least 12 to do so far this year and counting.

I'll never be in your league Garry as it's not the route I really want to go down
but won't turn them away when they come in.

But even I wouldn't turn out for anywhere near the fee this Muppets took the job at.

Go along mate point and mock:D :D :D

StarZSoundS
14-05-2010, 07:04 AM
I have found out that this booking has now been covered by the disco mentioned in post No9

So she was SERIOUS??:bang: :bang:

I thought the call was a Wind-Up. :confused: :confused:

But now she has it covered at that price:eek: :eek:

We should take heed of this thread chaps....there IS no hope for any of us anymore!!! :bang: :bang:

RabbittsKaraoke
14-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Gentlemen:

And what will be very interesting chaps is this lady's children go to a school I am at TONIGHT!!!!

Would you mind picking up my commission?? ;) :D

Mayhem 1
14-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Thats a thought rabbitt mate lol

Mayhem 1
15-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Gentlemen:

What a fantastic school party it was...................

This was me second visit to this school and boy was everyone up for some serious fun and we delivered.

Secured a block of 5 further events = result!!!

Now, as I mentioned earlier on in this post the lady who phoned me at 02:30 am was there with here children and yes there was a conversation.

lady - Hello Mr Mayhem
me - good evening and how are you
lady - thank you for passing that number over to me for sophies party
me - no worries I hope you have a good time
lady - yes, only £25.00 quite a result
me - certainly was
lady - yes he has said he will stand in the corner and play CD's and nobody will know he is there
me - rigggghhhhttttt
lady - he has also requested some of the buffett (sausage & chips) for him/his 2 rodies/ and his girlfriend all of which will be with him
me - that is some posse
me - can I suggest you check something with him when you speak to him next
lady - sure what?
me - PLI/PAT/CRB/produb (had to explain what they all were)
lady - oh he has already told me he does not need any of them due to him only doing this part time.
me - best you investigate further just for peace of mind and saftey to you and the guests
lady - ok if i have time I will, must go now, but if you are around please pop in and see sophie and her friends
me - ok will see what happens.

If I have time I might just have a peep in and see whats what.

Booche
15-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Dont forget to pop your name for the food aswell mate seems that there will be enough to feed EVERYONE lol

Glad the school went ok for you buddy :D

Cheers Dave :)

Mayhem 1
15-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Hiya Dave,

Thanks buddy it went far better than I thought it would

yourdj
15-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Call the lady at 3am on monday and see how she feels about that!!

she is a plonka and not worth the custom.

I would not have been so polite.

Out of interest ask what she doe for a job and see if she would drop her salery for the same amount of work.
Car valeters get more for that and any idiot can clean a car.

Vectis
15-05-2010, 02:32 PM
any idiot can clean a car.

I have to dispute that.

My lad won't be getting any letters after his name, that I can promise you, and he can't wash cars for :Censored: :D

Corabar Entertainment
15-05-2010, 02:41 PM
..any idiot can clean a car.Personally, I don't think it's particularly nice to belittle anyone for what they do to earn a crust. :mad:

DB Entertainments
07-07-2010, 12:39 AM
£25 - jesus man!

JamesXP
08-07-2010, 07:42 PM
cleaning cars properly isn't something any idiot can do :)