PDA

View Full Version : new business cards

tgosoundandlight
14-05-2010, 07:47 PM
what do people think?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs281.snc3/27730_395153736043_670016043_4622101_6601510_n.jpg

Starlight
14-05-2010, 07:53 PM
what do people think?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs281.snc3/27730_395153736043_670016043_4622101_6601510_n.jpg
Hi,

It looks alright, though lacking in colour.

On the plus side, it's very clear, short and to the point ;)

Will be worth putting your website address on there too (if you've got a website?)

Neil.

Shaun
14-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Honest opinion?

They look home made and amatuerish. The lack of colour and cheesy clipart doesn't do it any favours. On the plus side, the text is laid out nicely and looks balanced.

Sorry.

tgosoundandlight
14-05-2010, 07:56 PM
we didnt really want colour cause if theres to much going on most people just put it to one side and dont look at it again and the place we had them done did it the good old way with a big old printing press the same as the one in will smiths seven pounds

tom

Shaun
14-05-2010, 07:57 PM
we didnt really want colour cause if theres to much going on most people just put it to one side and dont look at it again

Really? I completely disagree.

...but what do I know. :D

Starlight
14-05-2010, 08:02 PM
we didnt really want colour
I think you might find that potential customers might be put off by your business card appearance in that it looks a bit dull and boring and not much 'pazam' in regard to the colour scheme and it could potentially put them off. :( A nice, colourful, well layed out business card can make your business look more appealing and reflect greatly on the style of setup your disco looks, just my opinion of course.

Neil.

Starlight
14-05-2010, 08:03 PM
:lol:

Neil.

rob1963
14-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I think those cards are more likely to bring in enquiries for pub work rather than well-paid weddings.

tgosoundandlight
14-05-2010, 08:12 PM
starlight were currently working on our web site just waiting on our truss and dragon board booth to arrive so we can photograph all our equipment fully set up

Starlight
14-05-2010, 08:21 PM
starlight were currently working on our web site just waiting on our truss and dragon board booth to arrive so we can photograph all our equipment fully set up
Good times :D :cool: ;)

Hey Tom, you know I bought 1000 business cards from Vista Print online and they've got loads of decent templates you can input your own text on, well worth a visit to www.vistaprint.co.uk (http://www.vistaprint.co.uk) ;) Their quality is really good and their prices are good too ;)

Neil.

tgosoundandlight
14-05-2010, 08:29 PM
i will have a look when web site is up and running cause ive just paid out for these ive just got a new business partner so were just trying to get used to things again as hes got loads of great ideas and just getting it all sorted and trying to run it as business rather than a hobby which it started off as im getting some great ideas off here and getting great advice from other peoples posts so thanks to all

tom

ppentertainments
14-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I think those cards are more likely to bring in enquiries for pub work rather than well-paid weddings.

I agree - although the OP has not stated which market he is aiming for.

Definite a pub / club business card IMO

Charlie Brown
14-05-2010, 09:44 PM
They look home made and amatuerish. The lack of colour and cheesy clipart doesn't do it any favours. On the plus side, the text is laid out nicely and looks balanced.

Sorry.

:agree

DJWilson
14-05-2010, 09:57 PM
For some reason im getting a 70s/80s feel from the look of them.

rob1963
14-05-2010, 09:57 PM
the OP has not stated which market he is aiming for.

It seems to be a bit of everything.

The business cards themselves state "Weddings, parties, pubs, clubs etc"

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Get them designed properly. They look home made and cheap.

Why people do this when they are so cheap to have designed and printed is beyond me!

tgosoundandlight
14-05-2010, 11:10 PM
we did have them designed and printed cheaply this was not done by our selfs it was done by a printers in skegness that uses old techniques to get the job done i like them my self and i think hes done well and the bloke on them looks kinda like me lol

Dynamic Entertainment
14-05-2010, 11:35 PM
we did have them designed and printed cheaply this was not done by our selfs it was done by a printers in skegness that uses old techniques to get the job done i like them my self and i think hes done well and the bloke on them looks kinda like me lol

Why ask for feedback if youve already made your mind up?:confused:

Dynamic Entertainment
14-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Just to give you a bit of food for thought. I have two different types of business cards. One is a proper business card with name and direct contact details on, address, fax the lot.

The other, and more importand one in my opinion, is the business card sized flyers Shown below, front and back)which hotels get to put in theyr foyer and give out to prospective clients.

Vectis
15-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Afraid I have to agree with everything else mentioned.

... I counted at least 4 different fonts in use on the card... why?

The pics are awful - sorry.

You'd've been as well to just write "£60 Quid Discos" and your phone number on a piece of card with a marker pen.

Have you not got one landline between you?

Are you sure the email address is correct? I notice your name is Tom but the address begins "toflanagan".

You really need to get a domain based email account even if your website isn't ready. Free email accounts look awful on promotional literature.

Good on you for posting here though; shame you didn't do it before you bought the cards ;)

DJMaxG
15-05-2010, 01:00 AM
To be honest, when I first saw it, I thought that it was an old newspaper advert that you had taken from the 1980s/90s. It does the job in delivering the information and is better than a post-it and biro, but the lack of colour is less eye catching, as well as unmodern.

You really need to get a domain based email account even if your website isn't ready. Free email accounts look awful on promotional literature.

Domain based email does look more professional sometimes, but I would not hesitate in contacting the said address knowing that if it's a personal address, that my enquiry may get answered more quickly.

The disadvantages with domain based email, is that you have to generally sign into your hosting account to view it or use outlook, rather than open up hotmail/yahoo site or having Windows Live Messenger notifications; plus if you loose the domain, you loose your email address.

discomobiledj
15-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Max you plank! All websites come with web based email facilities. I can pick mine up from anywhere I want, interweb or iPhone.

Hotmail, Yahoo, gmail etc should not be used for business purposes. Simple as.

The card looks like a throwback to the 70's, needs colour and bringing upto the present day.

I think Rob needs to bring back grammar school for you Max, lose not loose!

DiscoPromotions
15-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Really? I completely disagree.

I agree, a business card needs to promote good feeling to your client. Our business card (See below) does not contain any pictures, just the right information.

Mayhem 1
15-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Gentlemen:

I may be wrong here but would it not be a good idea to add a landline number?

I think there was a thread on here ages ago saying that a landline number should be on cards and not just a mobile.

Just my thoughts guys.

Marc J
15-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Max you plank! All websites come with web based email facilities. I can pick mine up from anywhere I want, interweb or iPhone.

Hotmail, Yahoo, gmail etc should not be used for business purposes. Simple as.

The card looks like a throwback to the 70's, needs colour and bringing upto the present day.

I think Rob needs to bring back grammar school for you Max, lose not loose!

:agree:

OP: It looks like you've decided to renew your living room carpet, and when you lifted the old one you found a card from the 1970's under it. Sorry. It's just terrible.

DiscoPromotions
15-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Gentlemen:

I may be wrong here but would it not be a good idea to add a landline number?

Never at home during social hours.

Megamix
15-05-2010, 09:01 AM
they may not be perfect to attract new business but acceptable as a card when people ask for your details

Vectis
15-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Never at home during social hours.

Answering machine?
Call diversion?
VOIP landline number? (eg Vonage; couple of quid a month; looks like a local landline, actually rings on your mobile)
:cool:

When shopping for other services I NEVER ring a company that only publishes a mobile. It smacks of one-man-band.

DiscoPromotions
15-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Answering machine?
Call diversion?
VOIP landline number? (eg Vonage; couple of quid a month; looks like a local landline, actually rings on your mobile)
:cool:

When shopping for other services I NEVER ring a company that only publishes a mobile. It smacks of one-man-band.

I agree a mobile number do present that stigma about them. However, unless there is a proven need for a landline. We do see the justification in having one at this time.

Vectis
15-05-2010, 11:32 AM
unless there is a proven need for a landline. We do see the justification in having one at this time.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19450

'nuff said ;)

Two-thirds of people are less likely to call a company with only a mobile. That's 66% more potential customers for a few quid a month... Could be the best advertising spend you make.

DiscoPromotions
15-05-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19450

'nuff said ;)

Two-thirds of people are less likely to call a company with only a mobile. That's 66% more potential customers for a few quid a month... Could be the best advertising spend you make.

One way we could clear this up if Julian (UK Bride) is up for it. Ask Julian if he would kindly run a poll on his website to see it on much bigger scale and answered outside www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk forum.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2010, 11:56 AM
One way we could clear this up if Julian (UK Bride) is up for it. Ask Julian if he would kindly run a poll on his website to see it on much bigger scale and answered outside www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk forum.

How would that clear it up?

That would just be brides. What about people who book other parties, anniversaries, corporates, dinner/dances etc etc

Vectis
15-05-2010, 11:57 AM

No need.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/research/

Snippet:

65%-78% of consumers either won’t call, are unlikely to call, telephone numbers used in adverts - even for products they are interested in - if they use these numbers: 0845 (65%), mobile (70%), 0870 (73%), 0844 (76%), 0871 (78%).

DiscoPromotions
15-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Solitaire Entertainments Ltd: Is that not the best revenue stream is for an independent mobile disco/dj provider?

The results be more accurate as it will be answered by actual customers.

vectisvibe: The poll results from Ofcom is asking every man and his dog, not if they are searching for mobile Disco/DJ for my wedding. It could be assumed that people have answered the question and related to advert they have seen in phone box.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Solitaire Entertainments Ltd: Is that not the best revenue stream is for an independent mobile disco/dj provider?

I might be able to answer if I knew what you were talking about? :confused:

Vectis
15-05-2010, 12:23 PM
vectisvibe: The poll results from Ofcom is asking every man and his dog, not if they are searching for mobile Disco/DJ for my wedding. It could be assumed that people have answered the question and related to advert they have seen in phone box.

Er, aren't "every man and his dog" your potential customer?

Seems like your blinkers are firmly attached, so I'll park my 20+ years corporate telecoms & marketing advice at this juncture.

DiscoPromotions
15-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Er, aren't "every man and his dog" your potential customer?

Seems like your blinkers are firmly attached, so I'll park my 20+ years corporate telecoms & marketing advice at this juncture.

I am understanding your advice, but not understanding how this would work within practical sense.

However, not every man and his dog are looking for a mobile disco/dj.

Vectis
15-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I am understanding your advice, but not understanding how this would work within practical sense.

However, not every man and his dog are looking for a mobile disco/dj.

Q. Who is YOUR customer?

A. Joe Public.

Ofcom (the government quango responsible for communications) say that 70% of Joe Public are cautious about calling businesses (even those they're interested in) on a mobile phone number.

MDD straw poll said that 66% of voting members would not or may not call businesses on a mobile phone number.

For £6 per month (Vonage) or £12 per month (BT et al) you can have an 01xx/02xx "landline" number. By doing so you immediately take down one of the main barriers to two-thirds of your potential customers contacting you.

Put it this way, for every 10 new enquirers who call you on your mobile phone number, there are another 20 who've moved on down the list because you haven't published a landline.

Do you not want a 3-fold increase in enquiries for the sake of a few quid per month? Fair enough...

DJMaxG
15-05-2010, 04:17 PM

There is no need for that. I didn't say that you couldn't access them, I just meant that I would prefer to use a reliable well known provider such as hotmail, rather than sidswebhosting.com to view it; and the spelling error was just 'one of those words', I often type fairly quickly. What happens if you transfer the hosting over, you could miss emails during the transfer process, correct?

Vectis - Would you say that more customers will call a 'local' number (eg 0121) than a freephone or local rate number? What are your views on this?

Vectis
15-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Vectis - Would you say that more customers will call a 'local' number (eg 0121) than a freephone or local rate number? What are your views on this?

Ofcom say so in their report, so who am I to disagree?

Marc J
15-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I didn't say that you couldn't access them, I just meant that I would prefer to use a reliable well known provider such as hotmail, rather than sidswebhosting.com to view it;

I'm assuming you've already chosen a reliable hosting provider to host your website, and email facilities (including webmail) would normally be provided with this. Or, you could have the best of both worlds and use Google Apps ($25 per year per user) to manage your domain based email (i.e. all the benefits of Googlemail without the Googlemail address).

What happens if you transfer the hosting over, you could miss emails during the transfer process, correct?

No, just put forwarders in place at the old host to a 3rd party account (i.e. gmail / hotmail / yahoo / your ISP email). During the 24 - 48 hours propagation period any mail arriving at the old host is forwarded to your chosen account, while mail arriving at the new host is where it's supposed to be, anyway.

DJMaxG
15-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Great info there Mark :approve:

I don't currently have a website on-air, but have owned them before. The Google method looks good, it would be nice if hotmail could do the same, as I currently think (having tried others out) that they are the best provider; my favourite anyway.

Get Me A DJ
17-06-2010, 01:42 PM
No need.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/research/

Snippet:

65%-78% of consumers either won’t call, are unlikely to call, telephone numbers used in adverts - even for products they are interested in - if they use these numbers: 0845 (65%), mobile (70%), 0870 (73%), 0844 (76%), 0871 (78%).

There goes me making a profit out of my 0845 number :(