PDA

View Full Version : Vale Hotel, Hensol, Vale of Glamorgan (4 star hotel)

Pazz
17-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi all, I have just visited this venue in readiness for a wedding that I have been booked for this year. I was very impressed with the place. I had surprisingly never visited the venue before, having been to a lot of the other hotels in the surrounding area, but never been booked for this one. I wanted to have a look at the room I would be in, the access and to see if there was any sound limiter. The manager that was on duty was excellent. He was very happy to show me round not only the room but to give me a pretty thorough tour of the hotel too including the other function rooms, the spa and swimming pool, restaurant, bars and even showed me a model of how the owner is turning Hensol Castle nearby into a 5 star hotel.

The manager told me a bit of history about the place (having been working there 15 years) and the room I will be in is only 3 years old having been added on to the main building. This has to be the best pre visit I have done to a venue.

Having seen the room I will be setting up and dj'ing in it has to be the biggest sized room I will have been in. They had the dancefloor down and I could see exactly where I would be. I am confident that I can cover the dancing area with the lighting I have but I'm a bit concerned about my sound coverage having only got the following speakers

PAIR OF THESE (on tripods which I use in most venues and would like to add a pair of bass bins/subwoofers to in the near future):
http://www.premier-solutions.biz/Omnitronic-Product/OmnitronicDX-1522.htm

PAIR OF THESE (which I use for bigger venues but are pretty heavy to carry round):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMNITRONIC-DX2222-2000W-SPEAKER-PAIR-/220604962006?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item335d1494d6

THIS AMP (which I use with either of the pairs of speakers above):
http://www.premier-solutions.biz/Omnitronic.../OmnitronicP-1000 (http://www.premier-solutions.biz/Omnitronic.../OmnitronicP-1000)

I have 2 questions has anyone had any experience dj'ing in this venue (I have already checked the venue databse but nothing is showing) and can anyone suggest a way of improving my sound capabilities with what I have or by upgrading and not spending much money at the same time? The room has to be the size of a full size olympic swimming pool (maybe a bit wider on the sides!) I hold my hands up that my knowledge of ohm's law and the technical side of sound setups is scratchy but I'm trying my best to get a better understanding. Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Jonny Boy
18-05-2010, 09:56 AM
PM Sent - re venue.

surround sounds
18-05-2010, 02:37 PM
hi mate
think you need better speakers, you pay little money and to get rubbish speakers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2010, 02:41 PM
hi mate
think you need better speakers, you pay little money and to get rubbish speakers.

Very useful post...:bang:

Excalibur
18-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Very useful post...:bang:

But probably, in all fairness, broadly accurate. ;) :D ( Unless you can find a certain Midlands town. ;) :D :D :D :D :D ) ( And even they're getting to be reassuringly expensive. :( :( )

Excalibur
18-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Right mate, you're not gonna like this, but by and large it's right.
1)Most noise for least outlay: Peavey Pro system
2)Best sound for least outlay: Class D
3)Best sound and most noise (if your pocket will stand it): RCF.
4) Making best use of what you've got: Subs, crossover and second amp with existing amp and tops.

1) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160434507502&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Dunno what the reserve is, but there's an awful lot of Db for your buck there.
2) Something like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Class-D-Speakers-Pair-Bass-Bins-and-Pair-Tops-/290434864260?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item439f445484
3) It's all good.
4) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Class-D-CD15N-Bass-Bins-Speakers-Used-Twice-/250631403399?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item3a5acbb787
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-CX3400-Super-X-Pro-Stereo-2-3-way-Crossover-/130385716400?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1e5b9824b0
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEHRINGER-EP2500-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/230474879053?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item35a95f904d

Sorry all options cost money, but your present gear isn't up to the job. The figures from that amp indicate that it's not big enough. At a pinch it would run tops, but that's all. If you try to get more out of that kit than it's capable of, there'll be tears before bedtime. Like I say, sorry and all that, but trying to offer constructive criticism.

surround sounds
18-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Please Read Rules Re Text Speak

Steve the DJ
18-05-2010, 03:46 PM

No it isn't... :p

You should know by now that sound is personal and no one will ever agree on what sounds "best".

4) Making best use of what you've got: Subs, crossover and second amp with existing amp and tops.

However this we can sort of agree on, although he doesn't have the subs yet.

...can anyone suggest a way of improving my sound capabilities with what I have or by upgrading and not spending much money at the same time?

No.

If you want something decent you have to pay for it, sorry to be blunt but that's a fact. :shrug:

Personally I would suggest hiring a suitable system for the event would be the best solution with a view to upgrading your current set up at a later date.

It's not going to cost you much more than you will have to spend on a cheap additional amp anyway, possibly less if you get the right deal or can speak to another local DJ and hire in.

Excalibur
18-05-2010, 04:03 PM
No it isn't... :p

You should know by now that sound is personal and no one will ever agree on what sounds "best".

However this we can sort of agree on, although he doesn't have the subs yet.

No.

If you want something decent you have to pay for it, sorry to be blunt but that's a fact. :shrug:

Personally I would suggest hiring a suitable system for the event would be the best solution with a view to upgrading your current set up at a later date.

It's not going to cost you much more than you will have to spend on a cheap additional amp anyway, possibly less if you get the right deal or can speak to another local DJ and hire in.
Watch it mate, you're on a final warning after that other post. :Naughty: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Technically, you are right that my use of the word "best" was debatable. I cannot deny that.

I must agree with the hiring option totally, and also that hearing any system before purchase is also vital. As you say, sound is a very personal thing, so no one size fits all, as I may have appeared to imply.

The one thing we can agree on is cost. Even option 4) would cost £500 to get a noticeable improvement with new kit. (S/H could ;ower this, if you get stuff that's not been abused. )
Option1) well, £750 ish new, option 2) not a lot different, 3) sky's the limit, so no, there's no cheap option. :( :(

Steve the DJ
18-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Watch it mate, you're on a final warning after that other post. :Naughty: :D :D :D :D :D :D

:D

...so no, there's no cheap option. :( :(

Nope.

Minimum he has to buy another amp and run his cabs full range, or he has to buy an amp, crossover and some subs, which means he could sell the large speakers he has but that would only get him about £4.20 back...

:quiet:

Plus if he only rarely works at a venue of this size and his current system is adequate for the majority of work he does investing in new kit could be a false economy.

I think hire is the best option in this case and if he wants to improve his system over the longer term he can do, but he will have to spend decent money.

Even good quality second hand PA is very hard to get hold of for a bargain price and the downside is you never know how it has been run.

Pazz
18-05-2010, 06:11 PM
PM Sent - re venue.

Thanks Jonny PM replied too - and I have to say best PM I have had as it looks like I am going to be in touch with some more LOCAL dj's which I have been wanting to do for some time!

1)Most noise for least outlay: Peavey Pro system
2)Best sound for least outlay: Class D
3)Best sound and most noise (if your pocket will stand it): RCF.

1) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160434507502&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Dunno what the reserve is, but there's an awful lot of Db for your buck there.
2) Something like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Class-D-Speakers-Pair-Bass-Bins-and-Pair-Tops-/290434864260?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item439f445484
3) It's all good.
4) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Class-D-CD15N-Bass-Bins-Speakers-Used-Twice-/250631403399?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item3a5acbb787
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-CX3400-Super-X-Pro-Stereo-2-3-way-Crossover-/130385716400?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1e5b9824b0
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEHRINGER-EP2500-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/230474879053?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item35a95f904d

Sorry all options cost money, but your present gear isn't up to the job. The figures from that amp indicate that it's not big enough. At a pinch it would run tops, but that's all. If you try to get more out of that kit than it's capable of, there'll be tears before bedtime. Like I say, sorry and all that, but trying to offer constructive criticism.

Hi Excalibur, I completely repect and appreciate your honesty with your reply. You are COMPLETELY RIGHT that my sound system is not up to the job (especially for larger venues) and I am aware it will cost me to improve things. Just at the moment, I'm not goind to have the money and probably for some time to come (due to being out of work and this being a part time job for me and also starting a family very soon!) I may look into hiring out for this one as Jonny Boy (above) has kindly pointed me to a local hire place and given me some useful info too.

:D

Nope.

Minimum he has to buy another amp and run his cabs full range, or he has to buy an amp, crossover and some subs, which means he could sell the large speakers he has but that would only get him about £4.20 back...

:quiet:

Plus if he only rarely works at a venue of this size and his current system is adequate for the majority of work he does investing in new kit could be a false economy.

I think hire is the best option in this case and if he wants to improve his system over the longer term he can do, but he will have to spend decent money.

Even good quality second hand PA is very hard to get hold of for a bargain price and the downside is you never know how it has been run.

Cheers Steve FDDJ

As I said with Excalibur I completely agree I will have to spend the cash to improve my system but when I can afford to do that is another question indeed!:(

HIRING might be an option for this booking but I think in hindsight I may have been better not taking the booking with how big the room in the venue is (didn't know the size when I took the booking only upon my visit like I said earlier) but I'm going to give it a shot with my big speakers for this one!

Thanks again:beer1:

Pazz
06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Well I had this event last night and thought I would post a summary of how it went.

I arrived for 5pm and parked my van near to where I would be unloading. I walked to reception and informed them the dj had arrived. She said the guests were just finishing the sit down meal but said we could go upstairs as the room had been sectioned off. I then used the lift which had plenty of room for me to bring in my gear all in one go and with the use of the hotel's trolley I managed to get everything into the room in around 20 minutes. Having visited the hotel a few weeks earlier I was very relaxed and new exactly what to do and where to go which always helps.

I had plenty of time and room to setup in the corner next to the assembled dancefloor. I was very excited to try the gear out as I was using my four speakers for the first time using the hired amplifier which I picked up on Thursday. The guy I hired the amplifier from adjusted the switches on the back of the amp beforehand to suit the power of my speakers and I linked both my amps up with my new XLR leads.

The setup was complete in about an hour (I was taking my time as I arrived early) and I did a sound check. I was absolutely delighted the sound was perfect and the best sound I have had for any disco I have ever done

At around 8pm the bride and groom had their first dance (Amazed by Lonestar - proving a very popular first dance choice for me at the moment, this the 2nd week in a row I have played it). I was a bit disappointed with the turnout for the evening as there were a lot of tables empty. I put this down to the fact that the hotel is a little bit out of the way and the prices for drinks were very expensive. Almost £4 a pint of beer/lager and £3 for a pint of coke

Anyway the night went fine and I had a good few dancing on and off to a variety of old and new songs. Now the bride had given me a small list of songs beforehand but that was never going to last for the whole night but she had specifically said she did not want guests to make requests and said to me that she would be informing her guests of this. Well I don't think the message got through and guests did come up on and off during the night and I just decided to play their songs - I thought why not as everyone one of their songs had people dancing to them - meaning guests were having a good time.

The evening did go pretty quickly considering the size of the room and not too many guests there to fill it. I finished off with the Beauty and The Beast song as the bride requested and everyone seemed to have had a good night (although there weren't many left at this point).

All in all was a good night and I was really happy with the temporary sound system (thanks again to everyone on this forum and the hire guy who helped me to do this ) and I will be using this again on Thursday in a similar sized room before unfortunately returning the amp the next day. Hopefully one day I will be able to buy a similar spec amp - the hire guy did offer it to me for £300 but I told him I have no spare cash at the moment hence the reason I was hiring!

I managed to take some photos of my current setup before the disco last night and I will post some pics shortly.

Excalibur
06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear it went well Craig, nice to see a successful outcome to problem solving. You could get a similar spec amp for around the £200 mark, but I don't suppose that makes it a lot more attractive. I've been trying to buy one since January, and aren't likely to make it before August, if I'm lucky. :( :(