PDA

View Full Version : Northbrook Park, Farnham

rob1963
22-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm working at this venue for the first time in a few weeks, and although I've been given a couple of details by the client, I'd appreciate a bit more info from anyone who's worked there.

I'm especially interested to know about access to the venue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.northbrookpark.co.uk/

:)

mikeee
23-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Nice place. Are you in the Orangery??
You don't need lots of kit. There is a sound limiter. Short walk through the "garden gate".

Steve the DJ
23-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Lovely venue, easy access, beware of the peacock and other wild fowl... ;)

Basically pull up out the front as the main room you can see on the right of the white door is where everything happens:

http://www.northbrookpark.co.uk/img/mainImages/20_image.jpg

You will have to wait for access during the room turnaround but it is straight in through the white front door and head to your right on a diagonal to set up in a bay window where the top table usually is.

Finish is 11:30 sharp without fail and although they have portable sound limiters Victor (the polish guy who runs the evenings) usually doesn't bother plugging it in.

With lots of marble and glass around great volume is not required. Remember to move your van to the car park once finished.

You can see pictures that show the room in more detail on this blog (http://julesporter.com/venue/wedding-photos-at-northbrook-park-on-the-hampshire-and-surrey-border/northbrook-ark-hampshire-surrey-wedding-photography/2010/05/11/). Scroll down for pictures of the room during the meal and then the dancing.

I was the DJ and this was only about 3 weeks ago.

kilmeedyman
23-05-2010, 11:22 PM
The last wedding I did there was in the Orangery which is much bigger than the white room and has a stone floor with oak flooring over theold swimming pool. Just a tad of a bit further walk round the corner than the white room. It was a lady that was running it when I was there but she was very helpful and I had to be setup before anyone arrived, so had a strolling setup around lunchtime.

rob1963
23-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not sure which room I'm in yet.

Interesting about having to set up when they turn the room around, as I've arranged with the groom to set up in the middle of the afternoon before people arrive...and he confirmed there will be plenty of room for me to set up with the tables & chairs in place, so it looks like I'll need to double check with the venue for clarification on that one!

I was aware of the sound limiter, which I believe is set to 92db. If that's the case, I can'r see it causing any problems.

Thanks again, guys.

rob1963
23-05-2010, 11:26 PM
The last wedding I did there was in the Orangery which is much bigger than the white room and has a stone floor with oak flooring over theold swimming pool. Just a tad of a bit further walk round the corner than the white room. It was a lady that was running it when I was there but she was very helpful and I had to be setup before anyone arrived, so had a strolling setup around lunchtime.

I think I'm also in the Orangery, as the groom said there's plenty of room, which would also tie in with setting up before anyone arrives...as that is what I've arranged with the groom.

Charlie Brown
23-05-2010, 11:32 PM
http://www.julianporter.co.uk/index2.php?v=v1

What a smashing website the photographers have Steve!

rob1963
23-05-2010, 11:34 PM
http://www.julianporter.co.uk/index2.php?v=v1

What a smashing website the photographers have Steve!

Except for the music...which it seems you can't turn off :bang:

Charlie Brown
23-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Except for the music...which it seems you can't turn off :bang:

Ohhh I like that!

Steve the DJ
24-05-2010, 07:12 AM
I think I'm also in the Orangery, as the groom said there's plenty of room, which would also tie in with setting up before anyone arrives...as that is what I've arranged with the groom.

Shame, the Orangery is horrible and because there is a swimming pool hidden under the floor it smells of chlorine...

There is a small "stage" for you to set up on at one end but access is much more of a trek.

They may of course be eating in the Orangery then having the dancing in the White Room I suppose but that would be a strange choice.

Using the Orangery is like eating in a slightly damp shed... :shrug:

One other thing, you will have to sign a disclaimer on arrival to say anything you do is your fault (i.e. cause a fire, set of the limiter etc.).

rob1963
24-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Shame, the Orangery is horrible and because there is a swimming pool hidden under the floor it smells of chlorine...

There is a small "stage" for you to set up on at one end but access is much more of a trek.

They may of course be eating in the Orangery then having the dancing in the White Room I suppose but that would be a strange choice.

Using the Orangery is like eating in a slightly damp shed... :shrug:

One other thing, you will have to sign a disclaimer on arrival to say anything you do is your fault (i.e. cause a fire, set of the limiter etc.).

Thanks for the extra info, Steve.

I'm almost certain I AM in the Orangery, as the groom said I'm in the same soom as where they're having the wedding breakfast & that there's plenty of room.

A couple more questions. Roughly how far is it from where I can put the van to the Orangery itself, and where is the Orangery in relation to the main building which you linked to the pics of in your first post?

Cheers!

Steve the DJ
24-05-2010, 10:31 AM
A couple more questions. Roughly how far is it from where I can put the van to the Orangery itself, and where is the Orangery in relation to the main building which you linked to the pics of in your first post?

The Orangery is a short distance from the White Room but to get to it you have to go via the White Room and through landscaped gardens, a pain if you are carrying kit.

There may be another entrance but I am not aware of it.

Can you see any benefits in a pre event meeting at the venue yet or is it still a waste of time? :D

rob1963
24-05-2010, 10:40 AM
The Orangery is a short distance from the White Room but to get to it you have to go via the White Room and through landscaped gardens, a pain if you are carrying kit.

Thanks Steve.

Can you see any benefits in a pre event meeting at the venue yet or is it still a waste of time? :D

I think it's a waste of time in this case, as I'm arriving early in the afternoon to set up...long before anyone arrives. I'll therefore have plenty of time and there will be nobody in the way to hinder me.

As I think you know, all my clients are offered a meeting, either at home or the venue itself...but 90% of them don't take me up on it. It's their choice, and I'm certainly not going to force them into meetings, as I don't think that's very good customer service.

mikeee
24-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Rob, as you approach the building, in the right hand corner is a gate in the wall, this takes you into the walled garden, turn right and about 30 steps turn right into the room, then back on your self to the end of the room. You can't setup against the wall because on the plants, but you do have the whole width, I would guestimate the depth to be about 10 feet. The room is not overly long so you could get away with a single Bose L1 :). The roof is glass, but has "waves" of white matierial hanging over bars ( I think there is a picture on their website).
They have two portable sound limiters, one I believe is set around 86 and the other is set at around 92:).
Hope that helps

Steve the DJ
24-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I think it's a waste of time in this case, as I'm arriving early in the afternoon to set up...long before anyone arrives. I'll therefore have plenty of time and there will be nobody in the way to hinder me.

No real need for the thread then if you are going to be there nice and early to find your way around... :p

Just take your swimming trunks...

rob1963
24-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Rob, as you approach the building, in the right hand corner is a gate in the wall, this takes you into the walled garden, turn right and about 30 steps turn right into the room, then back on your self to the end of the room. You can't setup against the wall because on the plants, but you do have the whole width, I would guestimate the depth to be about 10 feet. The room is not overly long so you could get away with a single Bose L1 :). The roof is glass, but has "waves" of white matierial hanging over bars ( I think there is a picture on their website).
They have two portable sound limiters, one I believe is set around 86 and the other is set at around 92:).
Hope that helps

Thanks Mike.

Very helpful.

No real need for the thread then if you are going to be there nice and early to find your way around... :p

I might be arriving early, but that doesn 't mean I don't want to know a bit more about the venue in advance from those who have worked there!

*Note made to take trunks (and a peg for my nose to stop the chlorine smell!)*

mikeee
24-05-2010, 12:00 PM
...and, it's best to wear a tux whilst setting up....definately not jeans and tee shirt. Oh, and what do you drive??

rob1963
24-05-2010, 12:02 PM
...and, it's best to wear a tux whilst setting up....definately not jeans and tee shirt. Oh, and what do you drive??

I'll be wearing the same outfit to set up in as I will for doing the actual gig, a suit & tie.

I drive a Transit connect. Why do you ask?

mikeee
24-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks Mike.

Very helpful.

Always glad to help

Corabar Entertainment
24-05-2010, 12:06 PM
and a peg for my nose to stop the chlorine smell!

...and, it's best to wear a tux whilst setting up....

I'll be wearing the same outfit to set up in as I will for doing the actual gig, a suit & tie.

..and if the weather is the same as it was this weekend, it won't be the smell of the chlorine you need to worry about! :eek: :eek:

mikeee
24-05-2010, 12:07 PM

I drive a Transit connect. Why do you ask?

Ooh, van, um, you may have to park down the road, but if it's less than two years old you might get away with it :D

rob1963
24-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Ooh, van, um, you may have to park down the road, but if it's less than two years old you might get away with it :D

I don't mind where I park the van, as long as I can put it outside the building to unload.

Steve the DJ
24-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Mikee is pulling your plonker...

rob1963
24-05-2010, 12:35 PM

I thought he was...but I wasn't 100% certain!

Please don't tell me you were also pulling my plonker about taking my trunks for a nice swim under the dancefloor!

:D

mikeee
24-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Yes, there is a pool under the floor ....your kit is waterproof, isn't it.
Having had most of June cancelled due to mindless morons ruining grass by kicking a bag of leather around, if you need a roadie (in tux :) ), give me a call.

Excalibur
24-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Nice place. Are you in the Orangery??
You don't need lots of kit. There is a sound limiter. Short walk through the "garden gate".
Err, Mike, it's Rob you're talking to. ;) He doesn't even own lots of kit, never mind be arsed to take it anywhere.

:

Hmmmm, how can I put this delicately? :confused: :( :(

Stuff that for a game of soldiers. ;) ;)

I'm guessing Rob can't. ;) :D :D By what others have said about the venue, I'd say it was advisable. ;)

What? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Despicable. Mike, stop that at once, or Rob will think he has to turn up in a stretch limo, or something similar. ;)

By the sound of things, the automatic bollards would come up long before I got SS Continental Drift and its cargo of Class D's within half a mile!! :( :o :o :o :o

mikeee
24-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Um, so you don't think Rob will go for my roadie services at £50 per hour, plus refreshments and transport costs???

Excalibur
24-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Um, so you don't think Rob will go for my roadie services at £50 per hour, plus refreshments and transport costs???

I reckon he'd be a fool not to. ;) :D :D :D :D :D

rob1963
24-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Err, Mike, it's Rob you're talking to. ;) He doesn't even own lots of kit, never mind be arsed to take it anywhere.

Sadly, I can't argue with any of that. :o

I'm guessing Rob can't. ;) :D :D By what others have said about the venue, I'd say it was advisable. ;)

A meeting at the venue is NOT necessary, partly because I'm arriving 2 hours before everyone else, partly because I've been given some useful info in this thread & partly because the client did not want an on site meeting.

Unlike some people, I don't force meetings on my clients. Call me old fashioned, but I've always found it better to make suggestions & then do what they want...rather than telling them what they will be having! ;)

Mike, I wouldn't insult a legend such as yourself by offering you so little for your valuable services.

How about a flat rate of £250 for the night?

Excalibur
24-05-2010, 09:45 PM
partly because I'm arriving 2 hours before everyone else,[/COLOR] partly because I've been given some useful info in this thread & partly because the client did not want an on site meeting.

And Nigel's your roadie? ;) :D :D :D :D
I'd go to see any venue like this beforehand anyway. Meeting venue staff often pays dividends, even if it's only to show you care about what you do, rather than plonk the same setup as usual in the first corner you
come to.

rob1963
24-05-2010, 09:54 PM
And Nigel's your roadie? ;)

You don't need a roadie when you're as strong & fit as me. ;)

I'd go to see any venue like this beforehand anyway. Meeting venue staff often pays dividends, even if it's only to show you care about what you do, rather than plonk the same setup as usual in the first corner you come to.

I look forward to meeting the venue staff on the night, and THAT'S when they will see that I care about what I do! ;)

mikeee
24-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Joking aside, whilst I don't pressurize clients into meetings, I do always (within reason*) visit a venue if I haven't worked there before. From your POV you know what to expect and from the venues POV, you look more professional by taking an interest rather than "winging" it by just turning up.

* Unless it's short notice or to far to be practical.

CRAZY K
24-05-2010, 10:06 PM
And Nigel's your roadie? ;) :D :D :D :D
I'd go to see any venue like this beforehand anyway. Meeting venue staff often pays dividends, even if it's only to show you care about what you do, rather than plonk the same setup as usual in the first corner you
come to.

I care about what I do--but as a long distance operator--average gig distance around 80 miles these days--its not possible.

Glad to report things are rocking along nicely this year without site visits---when I arrive usually I find the venue staff tell me which corner to throw the kit in--:D :D :D

I asked for advice on here about access to Botanical Gardens in Birmingham recently--for which I was very grateful---im hoping the locals got it right for me--just been booked so heres hoping:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yee ha Birmingham im back in town;)

Excalibur
24-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Joking aside, whilst I don't pressurize clients into meetings, I do always (within reason*) visit a venue if I haven't worked there before. From your POV you know what to expect and from the venues POV, you look more professional by taking an interest rather than "winging" it by just turning up.

* Unless it's short notice or to far to be practical.

Amen.

mikeee
24-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Mike, I wouldn't insult a legend such as yourself by offering you so little for your valuable services.

How about a flat rate of £250 for the night?

Oh, go on as it's you :D

rob1963
24-05-2010, 10:10 PM
:Laugh:

Corabar Entertainment
24-05-2010, 10:15 PM
How about a flat rate of £250 for the night?:D

Oh, go on as it's you :D
Offer and acceptance! That's a legally binding contract! ;) :D :p :p :p

rob1963
24-05-2010, 10:17 PM

:run:

kilmeedyman
25-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Rob, some things....

I made an arrangement with the the Event co-0rdinator at Northbrook to go and see her in the day. She was more than happy to meet me, was very helpful and it smoothed out any questions I & she had. She will have all the timings etc and locations too.

Don't let Steve pull your chain too much, the Orangery pool was drained long ago and a steel framework built in it and then covered with wooden slats. Its done like that so it could be easily returned to a pool in the future - ie. there is no smell of chlorine!! :D (Steve, you naughty boy!)

Mike is right about only one L1 and those drapes of cloth in the orangery cover the scaffolding that supports the glass roof. They actuallly hang quite low so I used uplighting and placed an effect on the floor to one side pointing at the roof above the dance area. It worked quite well.

The gate Mike referred to, ie in the right hand corner, leads into a small part of the garden and you turn immediately right to head to the orangery or immediately left to go to the vine room. There is a nice room at one end of vine room to change in, so don't worry about that side of things.

Hope you have a good night.

I sometimes wonder why we don't get together, as we're all MDD members relatively close by each other, and tie up these venues as a consortium.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Rob, some things....

I made an arrangement with the the Event co-0rdinator at Northbrook to go and see her in the day. She was more than happy to meet me, was very helpful and it smoothed out any questions I & she had. She will have all the timings etc and locations too.

Don't let Steve pull your chain too much, the Orangery pool was drained long ago and a steel framework built in it and then covered with wooden slats. Its done like that so it could be easily returned to a pool in the future - ie. there is no smell of chlorine!! :D (Steve, you naughty boy!)

Mike is right about only one L1 and those drapes of cloth in the orangery cover the scaffolding that supports the glass roof. They actuallly hang quite low so I used uplighting and placed an effect on the floor to one side pointing at the roof above the dance area. It worked quite well.

The gate Mike referred to, ie in the right hand corner, leads into a small part of the garden and you turn immediately right to head to the orangery or immediately left to go to the vine room. There is a nice room at one end of vine room to change in, so don't worry about that side of things.

I sometimes wonder why we don't get together, as we're all MDD members relatively close by each other, and tie up these venues as a consortium.

Just give them to me. I'll sort them out. :D

Steve the DJ
25-05-2010, 09:20 AM
This venue already has recommended suppliers that they are very happy with thank you... :D

rob1963
25-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Rob, some things....

Thanks Phil.

This venue already has recommended suppliers that they are very happy with thank you... :D

Just in case they'd like to increase that recommended suppliers list, I'll have a chat with them & leave a good supply of business cards. ;)

Steve the DJ
25-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Just in case they'd like to increase that recommended suppliers list, I'll have a chat with them & leave a good supply of business cards. ;)

Fill your boots, it's always good to offer clients a "budget" option. ;)

rob1963
25-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Fill your boots, it's always good to offer clients a "budget" option. ;)

That's me...a top quality service at a budget price! ;)

In all seriousness, that's one of the last places where I'd want regular work, as it's too far away for my liking, being well over twice the distance of my average gig...so you have nothing to worry about!

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Just in case they'd like to increase that recommended suppliers list, I'll have a chat with them & leave a good supply of Darren's business cards. ;)

That's very kind of you. :D

rob1963
25-05-2010, 10:49 AM
That's very kind of you. :D

Oh dear...your quote cut off the end of my post which said "for a small fee"

:D :D :D

Steve the DJ
25-05-2010, 12:06 PM
In all seriousness, that's one of the last places where I'd want regular work, as it's too far away for my liking, being well over twice the distance of my average gig...so you have nothing to worry about!

I'm not worried, in fact I'm not actually on the recommended suppliers list, but I still get asked back there on a regular basis so I must be doing alright... :)

Actually thinking about it you wouldn't be a budget option because one of the suppliers that is on the list charges less than your cheapest package for all day!

rob1963
25-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Actually thinking about it you wouldn't be a budget option because one of the suppliers that is on the list charges less than your cheapest package for all day!

:jawdrop:

mikeee
25-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Um, is that a bright colour ments :D :D

CRAZY K
25-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Sorry to contradict you Angela---dont both parties have to be of sound mind:confused:

:sofa: :sofa: :sofa: :sofa: :sofa:

Corabar Entertainment
25-05-2010, 05:23 PM
:lol:

rob1963
25-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Sorry to contradict you Angela---dont both parties have to be of sound mind:confused:

Well I USED to be!

mikeee
25-05-2010, 05:59 PM
My mind is of perfect sound...the sound of frogs in a liquidizor :D

CRAZY K
25-05-2010, 07:06 PM
My mind is of perfect sound...the sound of frogs in a liquidizor :D

There you go Contract invalid--both mad as Hatters:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Steve the DJ
25-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Um, is that a bright colour ments :D :D

Of course. ;)

mikeee
25-05-2010, 09:45 PM
..but not of Berkshire :) but elsewhere :D

Shakermaker Promotions
12-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Just taken on a booking for this place for next year (obviously not confirmed until booking forms and booking fee are returned etc). I knew I had seen something on the forum about it so did a search and came to this thread.

Has anyone been there recently? The last few comments on the thread are from last year. I wondered about the sound limiter situation so if anyone can update me and everyone else, that would be great.

Steve the DJ
12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I was there again this Summer.

Still a nice venue, new guys in charge of the events, she runs the day and he runs the evening and they are both pleasant.

Still has portable limiters but set pretty well and you can get good volume in The Orangery. It needs to be a bit quieter in the The Vine room but it's pretty small so no problem there.

You used to come in through the front but that is now closed off and they have built a new entrance, car park and accommodation (Northbrook Mews) all round the back so when you see the front of Northbrook Park just keep on driving!

You may be given a disclaimer to sign asking you to pay £250 or thereabouts in the event of damage/complaints. This is an old document that someone there keeps giving out but when asked the venue say you you do not need to sign it.

Oh and watch out for the Peacocks!

Here is a really bad quality picture of me set up tin The Orangery, the LED curtain belongs to the venue and the limiter is behind it but there is a little lightbox you can pull out to see how you are getting on:

Add looking at The Orangery from the garden (you would load in from the other side):

Shakermaker Promotions
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the information Steve.
This gig would be in The Orangery.
Cheers
Gary

Paul58
12-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Shakermaker,

I've done a few gigs in the Orangery at Northbrook Park over the last couple of years, the last one being just over a month ago.

It's worth mentioning that the keyswitch on the limiter has always been set to the "monitor" position rather than "active" and the key has never been present, so it's unlikely you'll have any problems...unless one of there staff decides to switch it to the active position in the meantime, which I think is unlikely.

Larry B Entertainment
13-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Blimey ! A Rob James thread reactivated lol

Shakermaker Promotions
02-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Been looking for this thread this morning and I have been on the phone to the venue to go through some details as the Wedding I mentioned is on 27th April. I am meeting the customers this evening and wanted to make sure that I had some background information.

The lady I was supposed to be dealing with is called Deborah but I spoke to a very helpful guy called Dirk.
He said that The Orangery (where the Disco will be set up) does have a sound limiter which is set at 92db. He said smoke or haze is allowed as the sensors are heat sensors.
He described the room as quite large but also said that they have not had any problems with the sound and last night they had an Asian wedding there with no problems either.

Thanks for all of the information. I know naughty boy Rob originally started the thread way back but I found it very helpful too, so thanks for all of the information.

Shakermaker Promotions
27-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Well, this has come around quick as I am there this evening.
I'm taking the Mackies and my subs too but not sure if I will need them so I will check it out when I get there. There are 150 guests tonight and having not seen the room as yet but just going on what I have been told on here and by the venue, it should be ok shouldn't it?

Shakermaker Promotions
28-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Just a quick update for those that may be going to this venue in the future.
I really liked it there. The staff were very helpful and the guy in charge whose name was Dirk was a very nice, helpful guy.
As mentioned earlier in the thread - Be aware of the peacocks! There are loads of them scattered around the grounds and also right near the Orangery which was where I was (they are flippin' LOUD too!).

The Orangery (as also said before), is quite a big room. There are drapes everywhere and I couldn't see how tall the roof was because it was all draped too.
Access is around a 100m walk. You can park outside the chalets.
On arrival I asked about the Sound Limiter and was told not to worry about it. Dirk said he would have a handheld monitor and was impressed when I said I had mine with me. He said the level was 92db on the dancefloor. I hit around 110db at some points despite my best efforts and he didn't say a thing and just let me get on with it.

Plenty of power available too so no worries about massive extension leads etc.
I'll post a seperate review of how the gig went but I really liked the venue.
Thanks to everyone that commented on the thread, it was helpful.

supersound
28-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Jeezz Mike goes there once and causes Havoc,no wonder they disclaim everything.:-)