PDA

View Full Version : Global Truss upright podium.

Dynamic Entertainment
14-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Im considering going down the route of upright sections of Global Truss (quad) with a moving head on top of it (weighing 23kg).

Taking into account the weight of the fixture, and having the podium at 2 metres tall, how big of a baseplate should i have?

Thanks guys

Steve

Excalibur
16-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Im considering going down the route of upright sections of Global Truss (quad) with a moving head on top of it (weighing 23kg).

Taking into account the weight of the fixture, and having the podium at 2 metres tall, how big of a baseplate should i have?

Thanks guys

Steve

As long as you use at least M10, or preferably M12 Rawlbolts to anchor them, I don't see a need for an excessive footprint. ;)

Get Me A DJ
16-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I was thinking a ton of cement on top of the base, but that's a bit too over the top :D

Will the head be mounted on top of the truss?
Be careful that the footprint of the base is enough to stop the head toppling over as it will be top heavy.
what's the size of the base on the head and I'll draw it up on our cad system and get you a size.
(Yes I know I'm showing off now)

Dynamic Entertainment
16-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Sorry Peter, needs to be packed up when im done....

Hiya Kevin, working on 12x12inch should be adaquate. Thanks.

Shaun
16-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I've been meaning to ask the same thing for a while, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

Dynamic Entertainment
16-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Looks like we may be onto the same idea eh Shaun....

Excalibur
16-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry Peter, needs to be packed up when im done....
Hiya Kevin, working on 12x12inch should be adaquate. Thanks.

SDS Cordless drill. Cordless impact driver. Simples. ;) :D :D :D :D

Happy Jack
17-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Perhaps you would consider buying some sheets of 18mm or 25mm ply, cutting some 800mm x 800mm squares, double them up, glue / screw together, paint with some matt black paint, pop in some t nuts, modify the and bolt the baseplates to that then add ballast / outriggers. The DIY jobby did well enough for us.

Building on what Peter suggested really. You may also consider sticking some rubber matting underneath it all to protect the flooring.

I've also seen barbecue heat plates modified in the workshop to accept the various conical connectors and pins a la Trilite / Milos. You're talking 5mm by about 800mm across. I would imagine this is fairly straightforward stuff for most metal workers, but the base plate itself would weigh 25 - 30kg and wouldn't come cheap.

In fact, a quick search brought up this which, in my opinion, is exactly the sort of thing you should be looking at. I don't know of any UK suppliers, so good luck with that.

http://new.globaltruss.com/images/products/BasePlate30x30Web.jpg

Stage weights from Flints, or a few sandbags from B&Q!

Dynamic Entertainment
17-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Would an 18lbs (8.16kg) bass plate be sufficient do you think Jack, with a footprint of 16x16inch?

http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=391&Category=9

Prolight import the Global Truss brand, so they may well get a call for a custom import with their next shipment....

Get Me A DJ
17-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Perhaps you would consider buying some sheets of 18mm or 25mm ply, cutting some 800mm x 800mm squares, double them up, glue / screw together, paint with some matt black paint, pop in some t nuts, modify the and bolt the baseplates to that then add ballast / outriggers. The DIY jobby did well enough for us.

Building on what Peter suggested really. You may also consider sticking some rubber matting underneath it all to protect the flooring.

I've also seen barbecue heat plates modified in the workshop to accept the various conical connectors and pins a la Trilite / Milos. You're talking 5mm by about 800mm across. I would imagine this is fairly straightforward stuff for most metal workers, but the base plate itself would weigh 25 - 30kg and wouldn't come cheap.

In fact, a quick search brought up this which, in my opinion, is exactly the sort of thing you should be looking at. I don't know of any UK suppliers, so good luck with that.

http://new.globaltruss.com/images/products/BasePlate30x30Web.jpg

Stage weights from Flints, or a few sandbags from B&Q!

Damn, never thought of that.
Would not of minded but I've seen something like that in a trade magazine I get.
Jack, where did you get that picture from.

Get Me A DJ
17-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Would an 18lbs (8.16kg) bass plate be sufficient do you think Jack, with a footprint of 16x16inch?

http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=391&Category=9

Prolight import the Global Truss brand, so they may well get a call for a custom import with their next shipment....

That will do you.
I'll try and find where I've seen that product in the UK and let you know.

As regards the drawing I'm going with what jack says, but instead of 18mm ply why not use chequer plate (or fairground plate as it's also known)?
The only thing you have to watch is the weight because this stuff ain't light.

or have a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/trilite-quadlite-200-800mm-450mm-base-plate-/270593163683?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f009c01a3 if you find it's unstable just use a peace of 18mm ply larger than the base plate and screw it onto the plate.

Happy Jack
17-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Jack, where did you get that picture from.
...straight from the Global Truss website!

http://new.globaltruss.com/

And Steve, IMO I'd be concerned that the base plate you've suggested wouldn't drop the tipping point enough with an upright of 2m and a 25kg load on it. I'd certainly opt for something a little larger, but it's up to you to make that assessment. With a little ballast it may be more than adequate.

Dynamic Entertainment
17-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Im thinking that maybe, the base plate i linked to would have adaquate weight, if i get some 18mm marine ply and increased the footprint?

I dont want to go down the route of adding sandbags ;) because i dont think the hotels would apprecate me draggong that through their function room :)

Dynamic Entertainment
17-06-2010, 04:49 PM
More for Shaun whos watching the thread...

YouTube- Do it from Scratch Vertical Truss with DJ Mikey Mike and Direct Sound Truss Warmers

YouTube- Do it from Scratch Make A Vertical Truss TOP PLATE with DJ Mikey Mike and Direct Sound By request

Dynamic Entertainment
17-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Right guys, maths time.

Courtesy of my dad (a fabricator), mild steel weighs 0.2836 lbs per cubic inch, so if i use inch thick mild steel;

2ftx2ft weighs - 326.7072lbs, or 148.2kg (approx)...that is some weight, and i dont want to have to pack a fork lift truck!

Working on half inch thinkness with the same dimensions, its 163.3536lbs, or 74.1kg (approx).

Personally, i think a base plate thats 3 times the weight of the fixture 2m upshould be enough.

What do you think?

Excalibur
17-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Right guys, maths time.

Courtesy of my dad (a fabricator), mild steel weighs 0.2836 lbs per cubic inch, so if i use inch thick mild steel;

2ftx2ft weighs - 326.7072lbs, or 148.2kg (approx)...that is some weight, and i dont want to have to pack a fork lift truck!

Working on half inch thinkness with the same dimensions, its 163.3536lbs, or 74.1kg (approx).

Personally, i think a base plate thats 3 times the weight of the fixture 2m upshould be enough.

What do you think?
I think you won't lift 75Kg twice. ;) The first time will convince you of your design flaw. I'd say 6mm plate will be more than heavy enough, if your density figures are correct.

Pe7e
17-06-2010, 07:41 PM
IMO 2' x 2' of 1/2 inch plate won't weigh any where near 74 Kilo check the calculations again. A solution worthy of consideration, is to fit small castors to the corners of the base plate, anyone bumping into it will move it rather than tip it over. It's very difficult to tip somthing that can move in the direction of the force.

Just done the calc it's 36.57 K

Dynamic Entertainment
17-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Sorry, my maths is right...but my english is a mile off and my heads all over the place

The 74.1kg should have been working on 1 inch thickness, so half inch is approx 37kg.

Thanks for pointing it out peter. :)

Shaun
17-06-2010, 08:22 PM
More for Shaun whos watching the thread...

Indeed I am. Cheers Steve.

Get Me A DJ
17-06-2010, 11:34 PM
A solution worthy of consideration, is to fit small castors to the corners of the base plate, anyone bumping into it will move it rather than tip it over. It's very difficult to tip somthing that can move in the direction of the force.

Just done the calc it's 36.57 K

Good idea, but what happens if they knock it hard and it goes whizzing off pulling cables with it.
I think it's a health and safety hazard IMO.

Better to have it fixed to the floor as it's more stable.

Shaun
18-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Bit bigger than what I'd like but it'd do the trick.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_baseplate_multi.htm

Pe7e
18-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Good idea, but what happens if they knock it hard and it goes whizzing off pulling cables with it.
I think it's a health and safety hazard IMO.

Better to have it fixed to the floor as it's more stable.

Screwing it to the floor would undoubtly be the safest solution, but few venues would allow that to happen. Tall, freestanding, top heavy structures will always present some degree of risk, this can be mitigated by increasing the size/weight of the floorplate, but this in itself introduces a tripping hazard as the size increases. I don't think there is a totally satisfactory solution available to prevent problems if a couple of big lads kick off in the vicinity of the stands, and I've seen that happen on more occasions than I care to remember, even at 'high class' weddings.

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Bit bigger than what I'd like but it'd do the trick.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_baseplate_multi.htm

That would do. but steep in price when i can get 2 peices of steel at 600mm x 600mm x 12mm for £150 delivered.

Get Me A DJ
18-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Screwing it to the floor would undoubtly be the safest solution, but few venues would allow that to happen. Tall, freestanding, top heavy structures will always present some degree of risk, this can be mitigated by increasing the size/weight of the floorplate, but this in itself introduces a tripping hazard as the size increases. I don't think there is a totally satisfactory solution available to prevent problems if a couple of big lads kick off in the vicinity of the stands, and I've seen that happen on more occasions than I care to remember, even at 'high class' weddings.

I Think you miss understood what I was on about.
What I was referring to, is have the plate flat to the floor rather than on casters.
The more floorspace the stand takes up the lesser the risk of it going over.
I agree with your point of heightened risk of tripping but if you place it in-line with the rest of the rig then it reduces the risk's.
People will "kick off" at a venue (thanks mostly to beer) and there will be a risk of them getting knocked over, but like you say, it's never going to be a fool proof solution unless they are fixed to the floor (which is a no go area)

That would do. but steep in price when i can get 2 peices of steel at 600mm x 600mm x 12mm for £150 delivered.

Why use steel plate when a piece of ally chequered board would be good enough?
It's less weight and if the footprint is large enough it will support the weight from above.
Plus the fact that the weight at the top will be causing a downward force onto the plate.
All it's there for is to stabilize the moving head

Shaun
18-06-2010, 07:30 PM

You got a link? :)

Dynamic Entertainment
18-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Whats your email. Ill forward you the message as it was sourced through fleabay. :)

Shaun
18-06-2010, 11:50 PM
PM Sent. Cheers, Steve.

Paul James Promotions
31-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Guys,

This is something i've been experimenting with over the last few days which will form part of the setup i am building purely for my sisters wedding next month. Sorry it's not the best photo, I will get a few good photos once I have finished work on the base plates (at the moment they are just mild sheet steel with no treatment or rounded off corners etc). I have not decided yet whether to use rubber feet on the corners (to raise the plate high enough to clear the head of the bolt) or to use allen key countersunk bolts.

For those of you who are looking to do something similar the bases are 600mm x 600mm x 5mm thickness, and cost £15.00 each from a local sheet steel supplier.

Take care.

Jamie

Dynamic Entertainment
31-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Excellent Thanks Jamie....Stable enough to support a 25kg moving head I assume? :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-07-2010, 11:56 AM
First dibs on buying after you've finished with them J!

Paul James Promotions
31-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Excellent Thanks Jamie....Stable enough to support a 25kg moving head I assume? :)

The plates I have made weigh about 13kg and were designed purely for mounting an LED par, for a 25kg mover I would probably increase the size and thickness slightly to achieve a base weight of something closer to the weight of the moving head. However, once I have finished the plates off I will try mounting a moving head on one and let you know my findings.

Jamie

Dynamic Entertainment
31-07-2010, 12:13 PM

jc light and sound
31-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi Guys,

This is something i've been experimenting with over the last few days which will form part of the setup i am building purely for my sisters wedding next month. Sorry it's not the best photo, I will get a few good photos once I have finished work on the base plates (at the moment they are just mild sheet steel with no treatment or rounded off corners etc). I have not decided yet whether to use rubber feet on the corners (to raise the plate high enough to clear the head of the bolt) or to use allen key countersunk bolts.

For those of you who are looking to do something similar the bases are 600mm x 600mm x 5mm thickness, and cost £15.00 each from a local sheet steel supplier.

Take care.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,
Looking good im likeing the idea,give my regards to Paul.

kmssounds
15-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi mate, look on my website, www.kms-sounds.com I have mac 250+/kryptons on top of trilite. Also 2M high with plasmas hanging off the truss, using omega clamps to hold lights on.

Base plates are approx 2 foot by 3 and made of approx .75cm thick steel with 2 bits of scaffold like tubes which the truss slides onto. Never had probs, I get my fabricator mate to make it all.

I now have a video wall which hangs off the same truss system so it's sturdy enough.

Check it out on my site.

Dynamic Entertainment
15-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Cheers Kaljit, thats the kind of info im looking for :)

Paul James Promotions
01-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I have just posted a couple of photos from the weekend using the upright trusses....

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=469305#post469305

Dynamic Entertainment
01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I have just posted a couple of photos from the weekend using the upright trusses....

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=469305#post469305

They look great. Its defo something im going to do :)

Dynamic Entertainment
07-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Found these on ebay if anyones interested...wish i had the cash lying around :( lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOVING-HEAD-TRI-LIGHT-TRUSS-STANDS-/360289422164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53e2ec4b54

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Funnily enough, I was looking at the same thing recently. I am tempted...

kmssounds
11-09-2010, 04:19 PM
To be fair them prices seem abit steep?

If you would like stands making up to put Moving Head lights on I can get a price made up?

I dont just sit the the moving heads on top of the truss, I have made clamps (omega) ones to sit them on. If you buy the truss I'd get the plates made for the top and bottem?

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Shaun
11-09-2010, 05:36 PM
To be fair them prices seem abit steep?

If you would like stands making up to put Moving Head lights on I can get a price made up?

I dont just sit the the moving heads on top of the truss, I have made clamps (omega) ones to sit them on. If you buy the truss I'd get the plates made for the top and bottem?

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Yes please!

I'm ultimately looking for a couple of 2 metre podiums, made up of two 1 metre sections.

kmssounds
11-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Which moving heads will you be using?

I will try to locate the truss aswell?? I have unit full of it!

Would you like:

Tri-lite?
Quad?

The new style I am going to be using from next year is Par 38 cans shining up the truss!

See the picture and let me know if its something you like?

kmssounds
12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
ALSO..............

My truss is all abit shabby to be fair, its been up, down and everyware with me! How much does tri-lite OR quad-lite cost per metre nower days?

Shaun
12-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Which moving heads will you be using?

I will try to locate the truss aswell?? I have unit full of it!

Would you like:

Tri-lite?
Quad?

The new style I am going to be using from next year is Par 38 cans shining up the truss!

See the picture and let me know if its something you like?

I'll be using Imove 250s's (http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2974) (Dimensions: 428 x 371 x 466mm - Weight: 23kgs)

They look fantastic, and just what I'm after.

How stable are they? From the images the base plates look smaller than I imagined.

Shaun
12-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Would you like:

Tri-lite?
Quad?

Forgot to answer that question earlier.

I'm thinking quad would be better. :)

kmssounds
12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
If you could do me a favour and find out the cost for just quad truss and ill get prices for plates. All the quad I have is needed as it forms all my shows. But if you don't mind seconed hand stuff, I mate be able to locate some.

Sturdy-ness wise, I clamp mine using Omega clamps but I do use trilite. The reason I clamp is as I sometimes mount 42"/50" Plasmas but as long as theyre on a level surface and people are not going to fall on them they will be fine. If I think the truss may get nocked by people dancing I place my bass bins on the floor plates!