PDA

View Full Version : Plagiarism

+Scooby+
08-07-2006, 04:03 PM
We have been the victim of quite a number of people stealing text and images from our website and this weekend we sent emails to five of them with a 7 day notice to remove the content.

We have taken advice from both the MU and the FBS, which we are members of both, and they have agreed to take action on our behalf as part of our membership package.

We openly admit I have minimal content on my site that has been used from other sources, but it either caries a credit or we have satisfied the original author with a link.

The five organisations that were sent emails are all members of this and other assorted forums and alleged professional DJ bodies, what is the policy of the new owners of this forum regarding copyright theft?

Corabar Entertainment
08-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Mark

Obviously we do not condone this sort of thing in any way whatsoever. However, it is not something that Darren & I have discussed, and, being a Saturday evening, it is not something that we can discuss now.

As soon as we are able we will talk about this and let you know.

In the meantime, if you could email further details to [email protected], we can look at matters in greater detail when Darren & I discuss the matter.

Thanks.

abyssdjhire
08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
bloody annoying when people nick your work isnt it

Addicted 2 Bass
08-07-2006, 06:16 PM
This is happening a lot recently in the UK mobile disco industry! :mad:

I recommend using Copy Scape (http://www.copyscape.com/) to find out if any other websites are reproducing your text.

Josh

abyssdjhire
08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
happens in everything... we've had it happen on our dj hire site a couple of times, and also our sales site a few times. a quick word over the phone usually sorts it out

Shaun
08-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Hope you get the issues resolved Mark.

wayne_uk
08-07-2006, 10:43 PM
OK, don't shout at me!!, as i have no web site yet, can someone explain to me what is meant by "stealing text", is it the way you have worded something or names you have used etc.
The information will be useful for when i sort out my web site (so i don't fall into that position)
have fun
wayne

Shaun
08-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi Wayne,

It basicaly means people copying parts of a site 'word for word' for use in their own website. I've seen instances where the whole content has been copied and pasted from one site to another.

abyssdjhire
09-07-2006, 12:22 AM
thats what happened in all cases with our sites. one of them even tried to tell ME that I was being funny and off hand about it!

CRAZY K
09-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I may be wrong but I was looking at I think Wolfies site and tried to highlight and copy his email address--a message came up saying something like --errr go away-- and blocked any copying.

I assume this is what you all need--over to Wolfie?

CRAZY K

+Scooby+
09-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I may be wrong but I was looking at I think Wolfies site and tried to highlight and copy his email address--a message came up saying something like --errr go away-- and blocked any copying.

I assume this is what you all need--over to Wolfie?

CRAZY K

No this doesn’t stop it at all; you can take the whole page by using the “File” and then “Save” function, or whilst browsing the page just go CTRL A (Highlights the page), CTRL C (Copies the page) and then CTRL V (Pastes the page in to your chosen application)

I will probably follow the offenders up with a phone call and if that fails pass it over to the MU & FBS and name and shame.

Forgot to add, five of the offfenders are members of DJ associations so it will be interesting to see what there view points are.

abyssdjhire
09-07-2006, 12:38 PM
all copy protection scripts etc are easy to get around if you know how... nothing is completely fool proof. usually a short email or phone call sorts it out, if they dont change it after a few days or a week or so, get in touch again and tell them if they dont remove it that you will have to take it further

Shaun
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Keep us posted Mark...and good luck.

+Scooby+
09-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Keep us posted Mark...and good luck.

I will, thanks.

+Scooby+
10-07-2006, 07:14 PM
The story so far:

We have now contacted, first by email and then by phone, all the offenders and they have agreed to remove the content. We will obviously monitor this and keep you posted.

The sad thing is all of them denied having an email from us, three of them had auto responders and two of them issued read receipts. Two of them even blamed their web designers and claimed to have had no idea about the content.

I think most DJ’s write there own websites now don’t they?

Have a disco
10-07-2006, 08:08 PM
afraid wolfie did most of mine to my desires but had to reword some stuff due to what your going through as to ensure it did not happen

+Scooby+
10-07-2006, 08:15 PM
afraid wolfie did most of mine to my desires but had to reword some stuff due to what your going through as to ensure it did not happen

If you want to hear something really funny!!!!!!!!

One of the offenders has removed my content and then put stuff on from Hitched.co.uk word for word.

I have just taken a screen shot and mailed it to hitched.

Have a disco
10-07-2006, 09:28 PM
hope 118gethitched catches up with them

Corabar Entertainment
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Hitched & 118gethitched are 2 different sites Badger

Have a disco
10-07-2006, 10:43 PM
sorry though he missed a bit