PDA

View Full Version : Has High School Musical had it's day?

DJ Jules
23-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Something occurred to me last weekend as I dropped my 6yr old daughter off at a kids party where the DJ was playing HSM as I left...

A short while ago when HSM 3 was released it was all the rage amongst the 4-8yr old crowd, but now the 4yr olds of that time have pretty much outgrown it, and the next bunch of 4yr olds haven't even heard of it.

So, has it has it's day? And if it has, what has come up in it's place? A few kids have asked me for Hannah Montana, but now Miley Cyrus seems to have gone a bit Britney on us, I'm not sure how much longer that's going to last for!

I've haven't done a kids party since Feb, so I'm interested to know what the more active kids entertainers on the forum are finding?

JUlian

BeerFunk
23-06-2010, 10:26 PM
It was always going to have a limited shelf-life, it's my understanding that 'Glee' is the in-thing with the kids these days :D

Jiggles
23-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Glee is as big as HSM may be even bigger! They go mad for it!

DJ Jules
23-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Glee is as big as HSM may be even bigger! They go mad for it!

At least HSM was original - Glee is a bunch of average-ish re-recordings of old songs :D

Still, no accounting for taste

Julian

rob1963
23-06-2010, 11:12 PM
it's my understanding that 'Glee' is the in-thing with the kids these days :D

That's certainly true if the singles charts are anything to go by!

At least HSM was original - Glee is a bunch of average-ish re-recordings of old songs :D

Very true!

Also, I wonder if anyone has gone to play a classic, but ended up cueing & playing the Glee Cast version by mistake?

The_Blue_Dragon
24-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Yes I get asked for Glee songs alot. HSM has had its day now as kids now say its for babies hahaha

To make sure I dont play the wrong song I just have the artis labled as "Glee Cast"

Larry B Entertainment
24-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Also, I wonder if anyone has gone to play a classic, but ended up cueing & playing the Glee Cast version by mistake?

I often get asked for the Glee version of Dont stop believing more than the the original.

sleah
24-06-2010, 08:47 AM

Julian

Yes! Sooo that's why I'm not buying, even though the charts are full of Glee tracks - I got them all already;):D

Nope, more likely the otherway around, deliberately;);)

James
24-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Aren't they all just a rip off of Fame?

womble
24-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Julian

While they may be covers, I would disagree with the "average-ish" comment. Some of those kids could walk onto a west-end stage tomorrow, and some of the adults have come straight out of Broadway - Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel both just came off the back of a long run in Wicked and that Rachel girl easily competes with both of them.

There's some serious lungs in that show.

DJ Jules
24-06-2010, 12:00 PM

I once played the Bob the builder version of the Proclaimers "I'm gonna be" in a club. At the moment if I type in "Stop believing" I get four versions, a dance version from "Love 2 Club", the original, 2 copies of the Glee version and the Lady Gaga mashup (Just stop believing).

There's some serious lungs in that show.

I agree - I was talking more about the overall presentation/production...

While they may be covers, I would disagree with the "average-ish" comment.

There's a few places where I prefer the originals, and some places where I prefer the Glee re-recordings (hence the "ish" :D ).

Julian

DazzyD
24-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I always thought Glee was just a way of keeping the High School Musical format alive and bring it to a TV audience who might not have the Disney Channel :shrug:

Dynamic Entertainment
24-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Never watched Glee, and prefer the originals.

Andy yeah, i think HSM has had its day...until they fetch out Number 4!

Mayhem 1
26-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Gentlemen:

In my experience HSM is still as big as ever I still get loads of requests for it.

I did a poll at my last three parties and asked the children which they prefer and HSM came out on top big time.