PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

rob1963
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Last Friday I received the request list for this Friday's wedding, but there was no mention of what they want for the first dance, and I know they are having one...as they've already told me what time they want it.

I replied to the email (which was from the bride's work email address) to ask about the first dance, but haven't yet heard back. I also emailed the groom using the email address he sent the original query from (which is also the email address he put on the booking form), but again haven't yet had a reply. In addition, I phoned the groom's mobile, which wasn't answered, so I left a voicemail asking him to let me know about the first dance ASAP.

I know there are still three days to go, but I'm a bit concerned that I might not hear from them, that they'll tell me what they want when I arrive, and that it happens to be a song I don't have.

What would you do in this situation?

womble
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
probability is that you'll have the track in your collection ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Last Friday I received the request list for this Friday's wedding, but there was no mention of what they want for the first dance, and I know they are having one...as they've already told me what time they want it.

I replied to the email (which was from the bride's work email address) to ask about the first dance, but haven't yet heard back. I also emailed the groom using the email address he sent the original query from (which is also the email address he put on the booking form), but again haven't yet had a reply. In addition, I phoned the groom's mobile, which wasn't answered, so I left a voicemail asking him to let me know about the first dance ASAP.

I know there are still three days to go, but I'm a bit concerned that I might not hear from them, that they'll tell me what they want when I arrive, and that it happens to be a song I don't have.

You could check with the venue to see if they have internet access and take a USB drive to download on to in case you don't have it.

simonp
06-07-2010, 02:31 PM
You could check with the venue to see if they have internet access and take a USB drive to download on to in case you don't have it.

does Rob work digitally?

DeckstarDeluxe
06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Rob have you thought that maybe they've got alot of last minute things to attend to and belive it or not maybe not so worried about the first dance?

Takes a minute to download a song so I wouldnt worry too much. If you got an wap phone with a phono output then you can download it in the evening.

Larry B Entertainment
06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I would leave it a couple more days and they may contact you after the more important things have been sorted.
And as Womble says, they may want a track you already have.
If it comes down to Friday night and they still havent told you in advance and it turns out to be a track you havent got, you can explain that you have made every effort to contact them and them failing to get back to you means that they will have to go with a track you do have.

womble
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I was actually just trying to make a probability based gag, but I agree with the above. You've made every effort, chances are you'll either have the track or they'll turn up with a cd on the day.

rob1963
06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Rob have you thought that maybe they've got alot of last minute things to attend to and belive it or not maybe not so worried about the first dance?

Yes I have, which is why I'm not getting too concerned yet.

I would leave it a couple more days and they may contact you after the more important things have been sorted.
And as Womble says, they may want a track you already have.
If it comes down to Friday night and they still havent told you in advance and it turns out to be a track you havent got, you can explain that you have made every effort to contact them and them failing to get back to you means that they will have to go with a track you do have.

I completely agree, Larry.

I don't have a mobile phone that connects to the internet, and I don't own a laptop, so it won't be possible to download anything at the venue.

If they don't contact me by Friday & if it turns out I don't have the first dance they want (out of my 10,000 songs), they'll just have to come up with an alternative that I DO have, and if they complain, I'll politely point out that I made every effort to contact them using three different methods.

Megamix
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I'll politely point out that I made every effort to contact them using three different methods

I think that's pretty much all you can do

soundmaster mobile disco
06-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you have tried your best to contact the couple rob.I always ask for a landline and mobile phone contact number.

You could also ask the venue to check if they have any other contact details than you have,

Failing that as a last resort which i have done once was to knock on the front door of there house.if no answer leave a message.that way you will have covered yourself from all angles.

Shakermaker Promotions
06-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Rob, If you have called and emailed and maybe even texted them, then there's not a lot you can do is there?
Yes, they may well be busy with other stuff but in my opinion, the first dance IS very important. They may well get back to you. If you don't hear anything by thursday at the latest then there is not much more you can do.

DJWilson
06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I had the same situation a few weeks back. They gave me some complation CD with it on, on the night.

soundtracker
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I had the same situation a few weeks back. They gave me some complation CD with it on, on the night.

I had this a few weeks ago as well, I was told the bridesmaid would have the song on a cd, when I arrived I sought her out, and she told me that it was in her room, and she would fetch it in a minute, after half an hour of setting up, I reminded her again, and she apologised and said that she had forgotten! It took her another 20 minutes to get around to it, and when she finally delivered it, she said they're ready now! I stuck it in the cd player, which told me the track was 19 seconds long! I asked her what it was, and she said its a South African song, (my heart sank at this point) inkanyezi nezazi by Ladysmith Black Mambazo - a quick search of my catalogue showed me that it was on NOW 42 (God knows why!.....but thank you anyway!), so I wapped it on and no-one was any the wiser!
Lesson learnt - never pass the responsibility onto anyone else - coz its still you that will get the blame!!! I shall always make sure that I'm covered from now on!!

rob1963
06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Sounds like you have tried your best to contact the couple rob.

Apart from writing to them, I have indeed.

I always ask for a landline and mobile phone contact number.

So do I, but they only put a mobile number on the booking form, so I guess that like a number of people they only have a mobile & no landline.

Rob, If you have called and emailed and maybe even texted them, then there's not a lot you can do is there?

Not really. I could also write & text, but I think that's a bit over the top. Plan A is that I hear from them before Friday & Plan B is that I don't hear from them, but that I happen to have the song they want.

Johnny P
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Plan A is that I hear from them before Friday & Plan B is that I don't hear from them, but that I happen to have the song they want.

Plan C they have called the whole thing off

Excalibur
06-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Laptop, Dongle, 7 digital. Simples.

does Rob work digitally?
Errrrr, yes. He presses a button with his finger. :coat:

I don't have a mobile phone that connects to the internet, and I don't own a laptop, so it won't be possible to download anything at the venue.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Excalibur wanders off with a baffled expression on his face, considering starting a new thread.

I had this a few weeks ago as well, I was told the bridesmaid would have the song on a cd, I stuck it in the cd player, which told me the track was 19 seconds long!

I did one a while back for some day job customers, one of whom was Nigerian. I was handed a CD to play, which I fed into the machine.

One track, seventy five minutes long!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

At least it gave me time to go for a wee.:D :D :D

DJMaxG
06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
I would send a letter out first class, or pay a visit to the house.

It is unusual that there is no response from anywhere, it is as if they have left the country or something.

If they still fail to make communication, then it is not your problem, you will just have to approach them on the night and ask. Unless it is completely out of the blue, you should have it in your collection anyway.

Good Luck :approve:

rob1963
06-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Plan C they have called the whole thing off

That would suit me fine, as they paid the outstanding balance on 22nd May!

I'm working 6 nights in a row this week & through next weekend, so if I turned up on Friday to be told by the venue that it had been cancelled, I'd come home with a bigger grin on my face than the Cheshire cat! It wouldn't be the first time I've been paid for a gig I've not done, but it's certainly a rare occasion.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Excalibur wanders off with a baffled expression on his face, considering starting a new thread.

Why would I need a mobile phone that connects to the internet or a laptop?

To update this thread, I've just received an email from the groom to tell me what the first & second dances are. As it turns out, I already have them both.

He apologised for the delay, and informed me that this was because they couldn't decide what to have...so all's well that ends well.

:)