PDA

View Full Version : Paypal...How Long?

Dynamic Entertainment
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I bought some stuff on the internet, and payed via Paypal...those Cable Protectors mentioned in another thread.

Just after the woman phoned me up and mentioned the budget ones, which would have me over £150. I placed a fresh order there and then for the budget, and she issued a refund via paypal for the original purchase.

Paypal have confirmed a refund has been issued, and that the money will be in my paypal account...but as yet the acount reads £0.00.... How long will it take paypal to actually credit my account so i can pay their extortonat withdrawal fees and get it back in my own bank account?

Vectis
07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
:confused: PayPal don't charge for withdrawals unless (I think) it's for less than ?£50?

You shouldn't be out of pocket.

As for the refund lag, no idea. I've issued quite a few but no-one's ever asked when the money will arrive, so I've always assumed it to be instant.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Cheers Martin. Just a wait and see jobby then :)

DJ Jules
08-07-2010, 07:06 AM
:confused: PayPal don't charge for withdrawals unless (I think) it's for less than ?£50?

They've dropped that too now so you don't pay for any withdrawals. They put up their fees for receiving money instead... :P

Refund lag is typically 5 working days. You'll then wait another 5 days for it to hit your bank account. I personally find this pretty offensive given that the majority of inter account and card transfers these days are instant.

Julian

Steve the DJ
08-07-2010, 08:12 AM
They put up their fees for receiving money instead... :P

No they haven't, their fees are the same (https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside) as they have been for years, unless I have misunderstood and your smilie meant you were jesting?

Refund lag is typically 5 working days. You'll then wait another 5 days for it to hit your bank account. I personally find this pretty offensive given that the majority of inter account and card transfers these days are instant.

Agreed.

But, the majority of my clients aren't bothered about paying by card so it is still far cheaper at the moment for me to put up with PayPal's foibles and excessive charges than get a merchant account.

Twinspin
08-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I wont use paypal myself. I dont like it.

If i sell items on ebay. I have never accepted paypal because i wont pay their charges.

same with buying items. Ill use personal cheque.

Im pretty sure that you have to accept paypal when selling on ebay now? If thats the case i wont be selling on ebay either.

Vectis
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I have never accepted paypal because i wont pay their charges.

I've never understood this logic.

Any retail merchant account has charges. You walk into Currys and buy a washing machine, pay with plastic, they pay charges. The cost of that is buried in the price of the item. Different plastic at different rates with debit cards being the cheapest and the lesser-used Amex/Diners etc. tending to be the most expensive. (Incidentally, cash isn't necessarily cheaper to handle so don't expect a "cash discount" :) )

So if you put yourself in the role of seller (ie by selling stuff) then why is it so unreasonable to pay a few % in payment handling fees? Especially as a part of that fee is an insurance policy just in case your buyer is a con artist.

:sofa:

DJ Jules
08-07-2010, 12:30 PM
No they haven't, their fees are the same (https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside) as they have been for years, unless I have misunderstood and your smilie meant you were jesting?

Hmm I did pick the wrong smiley, but I thought that had increased their fees lately.

Oh well, my bad.

Julian

Steve the DJ
08-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Hmm I did pick the wrong smiley, but I thought that had increased their fees lately.

Nope, it's been 3.4% + 20p for ages.

However they have made a number of changes to their terms and conditions recently and I wouldn't sell anything on eBay now personally. It is far to easy for a seller to be ripped off by an unscrupulous purchaser IMHO with PayPal's "help".

Starlight
08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I wont use paypal myself. I dont like it.

Im pretty sure that you have to accept paypal when selling on ebay now? Correct
eBay say's that you have to use PayPal as a payment method as per safety/protection reason's to buyer's.

Im pretty sure that you have to accept paypal when selling on ebay now?

Correct.

You'll then wait another 5 days for it to hit your bank account.
Incorrect, it'll take just 2 day's now, Julian.

Neil.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Any retail merchant account has charges. You walk into Currys and buy a washing machine, pay with plastic, they pay charges. The cost of that is buried in the price of the item. Different plastic at different rates with debit cards being the cheapest and the lesser-used Amex/Diners etc. tending to be the most expensive. (Incidentally, cash isn't necessarily cheaper to handle so don't expect a "cash discount" :) )

So if you put yourself in the role of seller (ie by selling stuff) then why is it so unreasonable to pay a few % in payment handling fees? Especially as a part of that fee is an insurance policy just in case your buyer is a con artist.

My paypal fees are a lower percentage than my banks cash Handling fee....

Twinspin
08-07-2010, 05:47 PM

I know the paypal is insurance but the last time i used it i got ripped off by them in transaction charges. So thats the main reason i wont use it.

Any equipment ive sold in the past ive always asked for personal cheque and waited for it to clear and then sent the goods out if i dont know the person that well if i do then ill send it out before the cheque clears if not straight away

But if i sell something to someone and part with my item before a cheque clears then i expect the person on the recieving end to trust me knowing that im not going to rip them off with something ive sold them

If anyone has any problems with anything i sell them, If they contact me to tell me. Id try to resolve the problem or give the person their money back I know nobody is saying that i am a con artist or i cant be trusted dont worry about that

Im just saying what i would do in that situation.

Starlight
08-07-2010, 06:29 PM
And PayPal doesn't seem to be working at the moment :confused:

Neil.

Dynamic Entertainment
14-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Update. :)

Money registered in my paypal account today.

Withdraw was free, and takes 3-5 working days....or i could have paid a fiver for faster transfer (1-2 days).

Corabar Entertainment
14-07-2010, 06:42 PM
So, answering your own original question...
... How long will it take paypal to actually credit my account...?About 8 days!!!!

Not exactly lightning service, eh? :eek: