PDA

View Full Version : Not such a bargain

Sapphire Disco
17-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Just got a Cortex HDC 3000 off eBay for £128 which I thought was a very good price considering it's secondhand but in almost new condition, anyway it came from Guernsey and H M customs have put a £17.50 vat charge on it and the post office an £8 process charge on it making the final price £165.50 including delivery :(
Still not that unhappy because I think it's still a great price all in but I just thought I would share this in case anyone ever bids on eBay for items coming from the Channel Islands .

Spirits High
17-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Did they explain in the auction that it was coming from Guernsey and there was a likelihood that you'll have to pay excess charges?

If not you may have a case for an appeal type thing. Go onto the Ebay community boards and ask the question ;)

discomobiledj
17-07-2010, 01:21 PM
HM Customs should have charged £22.40, not £17.50.

Sapphire Disco
17-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Did they explain in the auction that it was coming from Guernsey and there was a likelihood that you'll have to pay excess charges?

If not you may have a case for an appeal type thing. Go onto the Ebay community boards and ask the question ;)

It did say the item was in Guernsey and I had a suspicion I might have to pay something and as it was only on £128 I'm not too disappointed but it does annoy me they can charge on a secondhand items

I just wanted to warn anyone that if they purchased something very expensive it could add up to a lot and also you sometimes see new items from America that look a good price but with huge delivery charges and if you had to pay vat on top of that it would be cheaper to buy from home.

Sapphire Disco
17-07-2010, 01:38 PM
HM Customs should have charged £22.40, not £17.50.

Well thanks a lot :)

Actually I think it's because the first £20 is exempt IE if you buy a CD it's under £20 you don't pay any vat.

discomobiledj
17-07-2010, 01:46 PM
There you go then, at least they saved you some money for a change!

CRAZY K
18-07-2010, 09:03 AM
It did say the item was in Guernsey and I had a suspicion I might have to pay something and as it was only on £128 I'm not too disappointed but it does annoy me they can charge on a secondhand items

I just wanted to warn anyone that if they purchased something very expensive it could add up to a lot and also you sometimes see new items from America that look a good price but with huge delivery charges and if you had to pay vat on top of that it would be cheaper to buy from home.

This is always the problem importing.

I bought my Giant American Flag on ebay from errrr America and certainly expected to pay vat--there was a vague reference to taxes in the country you live in would be payable etc which is fine--a friend bought a Camera on
Amazon but did not realise it was coming from America and no mention was made on the deal--when it arrived from America with a vat charge demanded from the Courier Company I advised my friend to tell them to go :Censored:
themselves and not pay it.

Strangely a few days later the Courier Company said there was no charge--im sure they would have refunded it if my friend had paid it in error NOT

Guess what--the Camera has broken down and is useless after 1 year--cant be bothered to start chasing Americans or Amazon--

New items that can break down I personally would only buy in UK/ Europe where you have some consumer protection.