PDA

View Full Version : Difficult wedding gig

Retro
13-07-2006, 11:11 PM
I have taken a wedding booking before i realised how hard it was going to be, the reason its hard is because the couple only want music from the 1920's now whilst i have a vast library i have absolutely no 20's music nor do i have any idea what was around then, if anyone can suggest any cd's that would be useful i would be very grateful
:omg:

Shaun
13-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I couldn't imagine a more difficult wedding reception. Will the bride allow you to stray from just "20's" music to allow for the tastes and requests of the guests?. Maybe suggest a "1920's feel" but allowing other decades to creep in too.

As regards to music, I would think swing, and charlston type stuff. Try this LINK (http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Prod1GB.asp?tcode=c9)

Personally I would have declined the event. Good luck, and keep us posted 'Retro'.

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Oh my lord!? :omg:

That sounds hellish! Why on earth would anyone want that?! I mean, I could understand that they want a retro feel (I wonder why they booked you? ;)), but why not something like 1920s-1950s? Crazy...

I can envisage it being something like the ballroom scenes in The Shining, could be pretty cool? :)

Paul James Promotions
14-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Rather you than me my friend.

As mentioned, I would check with your client, see if there is a possibility of 'playing to the crowd'.

Jamie

Creature
14-07-2006, 06:53 AM
or arange to go round and play her 20 mins of the music to see if she gets bored withit - altho i love real old music - i find the it needs to be packed out with songs from other decades

good luck

musicinmotiondi
14-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Explain to the B & G your situation - being Profesional - 1920's music is not the normal and to play 4-5 hours you would need an awful lot of tracks 70-100.

The amount depends on the length of track - you could say that if they have any favourite tracks then maybe they can supply you a CD of it so you do not disappoint.

Also How far have they gone with this theme

Do they want 1920's style dance floor lighting ??????????

Also how come they did not explain the situation when making a booking.

Thames Valley Discos
14-07-2006, 07:10 AM
I feel sorry for the guests!

CRAZY K
14-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Rice will love this---ask for a Playlist--hee hee :teeth:

Looking on the net I see most of the albums from this era are £17-99 each :sad:

Charge for any CDs you have to buy. You could always sell them again on ebay--

Quite frankly they would be better off getting a live band that plays this stuff.

IF they really are into this era.

Probably cheaper than buying all those CDS :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
OR maybe they have a load to lend you?

Must admit I thought I had taken the most bizarre Wedding of the year last week--but no this tops it :teeth:

Mine is Cowboy Theme, Bride and Groom come down the aisle to the sound of a Clint Eastwood Movie, followed by Western Theme Dancing complete with a Rodeo Bull for the guests :teeth:

CRAZY K

soundtracker
14-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Have a look at:

http://www.worldsrecords.com/1920s.html

you should find enough albums on there to get you through- pass the charge on to the Bride!

BeerFunk
14-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Quite frankly they would be better off getting a live band that plays this stuffhttp://www.geocities.com/cactus_st/article/images/29.jpg

... I agree :)

Have a disco
14-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Struth you sure pick them ask for that playing list see how hany they can list me thinks they'll back down

soundtracker
14-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Wouldn't it be useful if people wrote articles on their experiences with this sort of function for Promobile! Then again, others would probably moan!

Corabar Steve
14-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I thought we did well with music going back to the 30's, but bloody hell that's going to be dificult.

Retro
20-07-2006, 10:25 PM
to get hold of loads of 20s MP3's which i understand are now copywrite free, if this is the case and anyone would like them - just incase you are unlucky enough to ever need them - then drop me a note and i'll send them to you. My god!! I have been playing them to try to get some idea of what is what, i am sooooooooo looking forward to a whole gig of them :omg:

Corabar Entertainment
20-07-2006, 10:41 PM
When is the gig?

Retro
20-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Friday 4th August