PDA

View Full Version : Moving Web Host

Steve the DJ
20-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Following on from a heated debate I had today with my current web host (1&1), I wanted to know if anyone has any experience of and can explain the process for, moving some websites and domain names to a new hosting provider?

Essentially 1&1 are currently offering my package to new customers for less money than I am paying with far more features/benefits. When this happened in the past they just automatically upgraded my package features but because the price has gone down they now say this new offer is for "new customers only" and they cannot therefore offer me the same deal.

Unfortunately my usual foot stamping and "loyal long term customer" rant has had no effect on this occasion! :bang:

So how practical is it to move host? What is the most sensible process to follow (i.e. domains first, followed by data/websites)? And crucially how long could service to my sites be interrupted for during the move?

I don't need any suggestions for the new host, I know where I would go, but I need to work out whether or not it is worth the hassle or if I should just keep trying to negotiate where I am.

To be honest, I have had nothing but excellent service and 100% uptime with 1&1, I'm just really narked about this latest offer!

Suggestions/information welcome. :)

discomobiledj
20-07-2010, 06:02 PM
When I changed my hosting over it was done in a matter of minutes. Took out the hosting, uploaded the files, and done.

I keep all my domains with 123-reg so just changed the nameservers which takes 48 hours max.

kilmeedyman
20-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Steve, if you know where you want to go, then ask them!
Also, if you know where you want to go, you know what it will cost with them, so just do it. :)

As replied by someone else, it should be a quick and painless exercise unless you have any special scripts written on your web sites or use any of 1&1's own generic scripts.

DNS propogation might take an hour or so.

1&1 are one of the most intransigent and wholely useless companies in this field and so make sure your new host sorts out hosting of domain names for you.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Moving from 1&1 is very complicated - even Martin said so when we moved my site.

Perhaps he might be able to help you Steve?

Vectis
20-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Moving from 1&1 is very complicated - even Martin said so when we moved my site.

The process is the same as any other host change; it's just the irritatingly complex array of menus that you have to wade through in order to make anything happen.

.co.uk's weren't so much of a problem, it was the .com that was a real pig.

In both cases we needed to raise support calls and as Google will tell you, the responses, mostly superfluous/inaccurate, were canned and slow to arrive.

Got there in the end though - don't relish the next one... :cool:

Marc J
21-07-2010, 07:30 AM

In both cases we needed to raise support calls and as Google will tell you, the responses, mostly superfluous/inaccurate, were canned and slow to arrive.

I concur, moving from 1&1 is one of the more difficult ones as they like to make things complicated to try to put you off (unless you're not the account owner, in which case they transfer it with a quick phonecall, but that's a different story which I posted about at the time (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showpost.php?p=418526&postcount=11)). They used to inist on faxed paperwork before releasing domains, even if you owned the account....:muppet:s...I don't think they're quite that bad now.

My recommended course of action: -

1) Setup forwarders on all mail on the domain(s) to a 3rd party provider, for example your ISP email or a Gmail account you have.

2) Setup hosting account at your new host. They should be able to provide you upload details and config (e.g. cPanel) access without the domain needing to be pointed to them.

3) Upload your site to the new host, and configure any mailboxes to match what you had at 1&1, and also add the forwarders to the 3rd party address.

4) Change the nameservers on the domain(s) to your new host. This can take up to 72 hours to fully propogate. What this means is that for 3 days any browser request or incoming email could be routed to either the 1&1 server or your new host's. Mail that goes to 1&1 will be forwarded to your 3rd party, web requests to 1&1 will show the site (still at 1&1), mail to the new host will collect on their server and also be forwarded, and web requests to the new server will show the site uploaded there.

5) After 3 days, configure your mail client for the new host, remove the forwarders at your new host and cancel the hosting part of your 1&1 account (keep domain registrations for now).

6) Then and only then, look into transferring your domain registrations from 1&1.

7) When all done, close your 1&1 account completely. If you can, remove payment details, as I've seen them take payment for domains they no longer control :eek:

If you follow this advice, you should have absolutely zero downtime and miss no emails at all.

A decent host would even do most of it for you ;)

Of course, if you use any of 1&1's site builder type templates, moving will be a right pain if you want to keep the same site. It's a lot easier if you have FTP access. If you have a database driven site that's another hurdle, as you'll need to get backups from 1&1 to move to the new host.

Shaun
21-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Move your hosting to Marc J. You'll never look back. :)

rob1963
21-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Seconded.

:5star:

Marc J
21-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Seconded.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, but: -

I don't need any suggestions for the new host, I know where I would go

Maybe Steve's already decided to come to me :)

Steve the DJ
21-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

My recommended course of action: -

1) Setup forwarders on all mail on the domain(s) to a 3rd party provider, for example your ISP email or a Gmail account you have.

2) Setup hosting account at your new host. They should be able to provide you upload details and config (e.g. cPanel) access without the domain needing to be pointed to them.

3) Upload your site to the new host, and configure any mailboxes to match what you had at 1&1, and also add the forwarders to the 3rd party address.

4) Change the nameservers on the domain(s) to your new host. This can take up to 72 hours to fully propogate. What this means is that for 3 days any browser request or incoming email could be routed to either the 1&1 server or your new host's. Mail that goes to 1&1 will be forwarded to your 3rd party, web requests to 1&1 will show the site (still at 1&1), mail to the new host will collect on their server and also be forwarded, and web requests to the new server will show the site uploaded there.

5) After 3 days, configure your mail client for the new host, remove the forwarders at your new host and cancel the hosting part of your 1&1 account (keep domain registrations for now).

6) Then and only then, look into transferring your domain registrations from 1&1.

7) When all done, close your 1&1 account completely. If you can, remove payment details, as I've seen them take payment for domains they no longer control :eek:

If you follow this advice, you should have absolutely zero downtime and miss no emails at all.

A decent host would even do most of it for you ;)

Excellent advice, exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! :approve:

Of course, if you use any of 1&1's site builder type templates, moving will be a right pain if you want to keep the same site. It's a lot easier if you have FTP access. If you have a database driven site that's another hurdle, as you'll need to get backups from 1&1 to move to the new host.

I no longer use the website builder so I hoped it would be a case of literally accessing my folders via FTP, downloading and then uploading to the new host.

But my main site (which I really should finish properly... :o ), is powered by Wordpress so I do have a MySQL database to move as well and this does worry me a little.

Seconded.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, but: -

Maybe Steve's already decided to come to me :)

To be honest I had only really considered going to UK2.net so far as I had an account with them many many years ago and have always heard great feedback.

You will have to email/PM a price list for your hosting services. :)

To give you an idea of what I want I was considering moving to their Business Hosting Package (http://www.uk2.net/web-hosting/), not because I am a business mogul but I do have a few basic sites and had intended to build some more using Wordpress/Joomla!

I have no design or technical ability, I just like to have a play and enjoy having the space and tools to develop stuff. :D

CRAZY K
21-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

Excellent advice, exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! :approve:

I no longer use the website builder so I hoped it would be a case of literally accessing my folders via FTP, downloading and then uploading to the new host.

But my main site (which I really should finish properly... :o ), is powered by Wordpress so I do have a MySQL database to move as well and this does worry me a little.

To be honest I had only really considered going to UK2.net so far as I had an account with them many many years ago and have always heard great feedback.

You will have to email/PM a price list for your hosting services. :)

To give you an idea of what I want I was considering moving to their Business Hosting Package (http://www.uk2.net/web-hosting/), not because I am a business mogul but I do have a few basic sites and had intended to build some more using Wordpress/Joomla!

I have no design or technical ability, I just like to have a play and enjoy having the space and tools to develop stuff. :D

Steve, not trying to be clever here--as im not a WEB person--however if you think its going to be a big problem could you not buy another similar sounding domain name, register and get it hosted immediately somewhere else assuming you have all the necessary files to set up elsewhere--unless the Wordpress complicates things--I know nothing of that system or program.:confused:

Corabar Entertainment
21-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Steve, not trying to be clever here--as im not a WEB person--however if you think its going to be a big problem could you not buy another similar sounding domain name, register and get it hosted immediately somewhere else assuming you have all the necessary files to set up elsewhere--unless the Wordpress complicates things--I know nothing of that system or program.:confused:Meaning that all existing clients will have the wrong web address, all marketing material handed out in the last year is useless, and that any stationery and marketing material still held will need to be binned.

That would really be a costly solution!

TonyB
21-07-2010, 08:06 PM
It will also affect search engine position having more than one domain with the same content.

CRAZY K
22-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Meaning that all existing clients will have the wrong web address, all marketing material handed out in the last year is useless, and that any stationery and marketing material still held will need to be binned.

That would really be a costly solution!

Fair comment.

Depends how damaging the delay of transfer is.

If your email and phone numbers are the same then it it wouldnt have such an impact--sometimes web sites arent available because of server problems and down for updating so people ring or email.

If you have existing Hotels and connections you could use this as a Marketing opportunity -- especially as Steve wants to update his site?

Depends on the style of trading and how you acquire business I guess.

As it happens it wouldnt affect us, we solely use the Websites for our advertising. Given up on Brochures and rarely use business cards.

I suppose Google rankings would be a bigger problem.:eek:

Everyone to their own I suppose.;)

Marc J
22-07-2010, 11:20 AM

This shouldn't be a problem, as long as you can backup your MySQL database (see http://faq.1and1.com/scripting_languages_supported/mysql_database/14.html). Transfer the files via FTP as you had planned, then move the database. Should be easy enough.

You will have to email/PM a price list for your hosting services. :)Will do ;)