PDA

View Full Version : Who tried for dis.co?

Marc J
21-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Come on then....own up....who tried to get dis.co?

.co domains were released to the masses at 7pm last night. I grabbed a few for clients including a nice 3 letter one.

Use www.whois.co (http://www.whois.co/?usr_lang=en) if you want to see what's taken.

weddingdis.co and mobiledis.co are already gone, so don't even try :cool:

FYI dis.co was released to the .co Founders Program to showcase possible .co usage. Part of this deal was that the site had to be live by 20th July...whoever took www.dis.co has obviously failed and I expect that domain to be released back into the wild....either anytime soon or when it expires (06/06/13).

rob1963
21-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Interesting info, Marc.

I wonder if one of the £60 Sids has registered fias.co?

:Laugh:

DJWilson
21-07-2010, 10:48 AM
What's the .co all about?

I saw and advert for it on statcounter but thought it was them rubbish scam ads you see.

Larry B Entertainment
21-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Interesting info, Marc.

I wonder if one of the £60 Sids has registered fias.co?

:Laugh:

Why, have you ? :D

rob1963
21-07-2010, 10:57 AM

I'm guessing it's a new domain suffix.

Why, have you ? :D

:eek: :handbag: :D

Marc J
21-07-2010, 11:51 AM

I'm guessing it's a new domain suffix.

Correct. It's officially the domain suffix of Colombia and is handled by authorities there, but it's being touted by registrars as the "next big thing" as it is shorter than both .com and .co.uk, and can be used as an abbreviation for company, corporation, commerce, community etc. etc.

They're a little more expensive than .co.uk's and .com's, though...

Time will tell if it catches on - previous launches which promised greatness then (imho) fell kinda flat were .eu, .tv, .me and .asia etc. etc....

DeckstarDeluxe
21-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Correct. It's officially the domain suffix of Colombia and is handled by authorities there, but it's being touted by registrars as the "next big thing" as it is shorter than both .com and .co.uk, and can be used as an abbreviation for company, corporation, commerce, community etc. etc.

They're a little more expensive than .co.uk's and .com's, though...

Time will tell if it catches on - previous launches which promised greatness then (imho) fell kinda flat were .eu, .tv, .me and .asia etc. etc....

I would imagine people just have .co.uk or .com instilled in their brains by now that anything new is going to struggle to have an impact no?

Marc J
21-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I would imagine people just have .co.uk or .com instilled in their brains by now that anything new is going to struggle to have an impact no?

There is that. I think the initial hurdle is to get people to realise that it isn't a typo and you haven't actually forgotten to put the .uk or m onto your address. It shouldn't matter as ideally you'd have the .co.uk and .com as well, anyway.

The other argument is that while it's new, and short, there's the opportunity to shorten certain domain names. I have a client with 3 words strung together, a total of 20 characters, on a .co.uk, all because the 3 initals were gone a long time ago. Let's say it's thisexampledomain.co.uk for example (but actually a bit longer) - ted.co.uk was taken but I managed to grab ted.co straight away, shortening their domain by 20 characters in total while also getting the 3 letter acronym they initially wanted. As a bonus they do a lot of work in Colombia so they're happy :)

yourdj
21-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I thought my luck was in.

I looked up tes.co and one said it was available.

Sadly its not. I could have held them to ransom for one million dollars!

http://usedbooksblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dr-evil.JPG

Megamix
21-07-2010, 02:41 PM
1 billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion...yen

Vectis
21-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I could have held them to ransom for one million dollars!

Or ordered to hand it over...

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/8133662.Olympic_sites_handover____unfair____says_w eb_man/

http://www.out-law.com/page-736

http://www.addleshawgoddard.com/view.asp?content_id=1181&parent_id=968

need I go on? :Censored:

DJMaxG
21-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Some companies or individuals buy georgraphical "domains" in hope to sell them on and make several thousand. I wonder whether the buyers of some of these are going to do the same.

alfresco
alnico
antitobacco
arco
atamasco
banco
barbasco
barranco
bronco
bunco
calico
chico
chubasco
cisco
classico
coco
deco
disco
fantastico
fiasco
fico
flamenco
fresco
guaco
guanaco
junco
loco
locofoco
macaco
magnifico
medico
morocco
narco
nontobacco
pachuco
pisco
poco
politico
portico
rococo
scirocco
secco
simpatico
sirocco
stucco
taco
tobacco
touraco
turaco
unco
wilco
zydeco

All these are probably going to be bought at some point, if not purchased already.

Shaun
05-08-2010, 08:55 PM
The only thing with the .co domains is the slight possibility that people might get confused and think there's an error. Maybe as they become more common this will be less of an issue.

I'm pretty sure I recollect Marc saying he purchased a bundle of .co domains for clients, and noticed weddingdis.co was available so grabbed that too. I think he still has it available.

CRAZY K
05-08-2010, 09:06 PM

I really dont see this at all.

As far as im concerned as long as people like my site and can find me they can give me any name like--

www.im-a-rubbishbarndancecallerdis.co

or www.wepromisetofupyourweddingdis.co

He he he:D

As for street web cred and all that :Censored: it seems a waste of time.

Marc whats the point of these names--is it like the car personalised number plate thingy:eek: Snob value :bang:

After all you dont have to have the same name on your business as the website address:confused:

Enlighten me --:)

Marc J
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I recollect Marc saying he purchased a bundle of .co domains for clients, and noticed weddingdis.co was available so grabbed that too. I think he still has it available.

I did, and I do :D

As far as im concerned as long as people like my site and can find me they can give me any name like--

www.im-a-rubbishbarndancecallerdis.co

or www.wepromisetofupyourweddingdis.co

He he he:D

As for street web cred and all that :Censored: it seems a waste of time.

Marc whats the point of these names--is it like the car personalised number plate thingy:eek: Snob value :bang:

After all you dont have to have the same name on your business as the website address:confused:

There's a certain snob value, for sure, but your domain can help by being short and / or memorable (for whatever reason) and also including words you want to be searched for. If duplicate sites were uploaded to www.thisdomainwasfreesoigotit.com and www.mobeildisco.com it's fairly obvious which will be higher in search engine results for the phrase "mobile disco". Google also bolds the matching words in the results just to confirm the fact (see attached) :D

Pe7e
06-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I was supprised to find partydis.co was still available :D