PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times A Night ??

Fresh
14-07-2006, 04:37 PM
no no no ..... not that .....

I try to maintain a strict policy of only playing a song once in a night (apart from kids and the crazy frog .... "hey mister will you play the frog again!" sure ANYTHING for a quiet life or that it has been requested again so many times and is generally wanted).

so do you play tunes more than once or do you feel that diversity and the fact there are so many songs to choose from can give the perception that you are a better DJ because you do not have to resort to the same repeated old tunes ?

Paul James Promotions
14-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Always try and avoid repeats.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I try never to play the same song twice, but sometimes you just have to if people are gagging for it, so to speak!

Pubs and clubs are different though, as you get people coming and going and therefore might not have heard it first time around.

Shaun
14-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I may play a song again if it's requested. Normally I don't repeat tracks though.

soundtracker
14-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I find this time of year where people are outside drinking, they often come in and want the same songs as I started with played again- its a bit of a ****er, but I try not to repeat anymore than absolutely necessary. Amarillo seems to be the biggest culprit at the mo!

Corabar Steve
14-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I avoid repeating where possible.

I may do playlists & requests, but I'm not a jukebox.

Have a disco
14-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I try to plan my night so the most requested are at the peak of a night but Im afraid that some songs are hard to avoid playing more than once especially when they are en-vogue and everyone is asking for them.

Sometimes I have had to play a track 3 times in one night. | hated doing it and try to refrain from more than once in most events but if needs must I would.

Prime example - Black box - right on time in the 80's for a whole year It was requested to be played anything upto 3 x a night

st1ngo
14-07-2006, 09:03 PM
so what if we play a tune more than once .............if thats what the punters want then give it to em !

once again we are seeing DJ's ego's come in .....the night is not about us its about the punters so just give em what they want ....................simple .

Thames Valley Discos
14-07-2006, 11:07 PM
what does this have to do with peoples ego,s. i try not to repeat as i normally struggle to play all the tunes i really want in an evening. After all 4 hour disco = approx 80 tunes.not a lot considering i might have 7000 tunes with me!

Have a disco
14-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Im afraid its sods law again. If they want it that bad we must play it they are paying us after all..... Where as in a club you can telll them to go fly

Danno13
14-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Not sure how this is link to any ego the DJ might have...

I usually find its just one person that might ask for a track thats already been played.. claiming they missed it earlier, and in this case you're likely to get strange looks and loose your dancefloor if you oblige.

The only exceptions i can think off was when Amarillo was at the peak of its popularity, I might have played that twice on a night a couple of times. Also, with weddings i'll often play the "first dance" again as a last dance if the couple are still there at the end...

st1ngo
14-07-2006, 11:51 PM
there are some dj's out there who think they know best and dont listen to the punters and one thing with that is they refuse 2 play a track twice .......this is where the ego comes into it

And before anyone says rubbish .............think about it cos I bet we all know at least one

Danno13
15-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I know the kind of DJ you mean.. but i don't think that not playing a track because you've played it before you automatically makes you one of them.

Crowd intergration is a key skill to DJing and playing the same tracks again makes you look like you don't know what you're doing and doesn't help with getting the crowd on your side.

Of course, there are exceptions as i mentioned before and with a bit of mic use you can get away with playing a track more than once.

But generally it isn't a good idea and should be avoided.. In my opinion, of course.

Paul James Promotions
15-07-2006, 12:12 AM
I suppose there are two different situations, the first being where the client is requesting a repeat or two, in which case i'm sure every DJ would be happy to comply.

However, if you have some kid constantly coming up asking for the same songs again (especially if they are not 'crowd friendly'), I can understand why most DJ's would prefer not to do repeats.

music-2-play
15-07-2006, 12:55 AM
I'd tend to agree. I often get requests for songs I've played earlier in the night. I usually just say, "well I've already played it earlier, but I'll try to get it on for you later". Ultimately, you have to ask yourself whether the crowd will still respond well to it, not whether the 'Bedroom DJ' moodily standing in the corner is going to criticise you to his friends later. Mind you, I've been in commericial venues before where I've heard the same track pronbably four times over a few hours, but yeah, bars and clubs are much more forgiving than private functions becasue of the constant 'in-out' of patrons.

Matt

BeerFunk
15-07-2006, 01:57 AM
http://www.dreamedia.co.nz/blog/uploaded_images/quagmire-729569.JPG

5 times a night, then another 3 in the morning! ALL-RIGHT!! Giggidy-giggidy-giggidy! :teeth:

BeerFunk
15-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Sorry, couldnt resist.. I will quite happily play a track more than once, if requested, provided the repeat is some time later :)

leighinstoke
15-07-2006, 06:33 PM
You're being paid to play. Simple as that.

st1ngo
15-07-2006, 06:45 PM

And that is the only answer worth hearing

BeerFunk
15-07-2006, 09:33 PM

No, it is not as simple as that - I wish it was.

You have a job to try to keep as many people in the room happy as is possible - preferrably all of them. This is not achieved by exposing them to repeated music - which will ultimately lead to their boredom.

Have a disco
15-07-2006, 10:21 PM
tell that to a room of 13 yr olds

Corabar Entertainment
15-07-2006, 11:10 PM
You're being paid to play. Simple as that.I'd say you're being paid to do a little bit more than just 'play': you're being paid to entertain the whole crowd, so really it does depend on the situation: if the person who is paying makes the request, fair enough; if several people are asking you to play it again, fair enough; if its the village idiot drunk as a skunk who is clearly annoying everyone in the room that is asking you to play the same somg again 'cos it's ace' (and the first time it was played when he requested it you heard audible groans go up from the rest of the crowd who then promptly left the dance floor)..... I think not! :omg:

As with all things, you have to judge the individual situation.

Corabar Steve
16-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Prime example - Black box - right on time
Was that a punctual remix of Ride on time? :teeth:

The Ego has landed:

Most punters don't want to hear the same songs over & over & I wouldn't want to play them more than once ( even ones I like)

There is only so much time for each gig, why waste it on repeats? How many of you moan about re-runs on TV, yet are willing to play the same track twice or more at a gig?

st1ngo
16-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Isnt there an 'N' missing from somewhere ?

Corabar Steve
16-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Isnt there an 'N' missing from somewhere ?

Most puners don't want to hear the same songs over & over & I wouldn't want to play them more than once ( even ones I like)
I found a missing T :teeth:

Fresh
16-07-2006, 09:11 AM
there are some dj's out there who think they know best and dont listen to the punters and one thing with that is they refuse 2 play a track twice .......this is where the ego comes into it

And before anyone says rubbish .............think about it cos I bet we all know at least one

you may have the wrong end of the stick here .... would a customer be impressed if a DJ played the same song 5 times becasue the dj wanted to .... we have all agreed to some point that if they request it that is acceptable .... but if the DJ can only play one track to make them dance does that reflect badly on the DJ as the customer may think he does not have the musical knowledge or skill to expand the music ?

jjndisco
16-07-2006, 10:39 AM
personally, i think playing a song an extra once or twice is ok.

Classic example, was out doing a 13 and 16 year olds birthday party. They had their friends there, and all their relatives were there too.

Leading up to 10.30, we played the Cha Cha Slide
After about 10.30, the kids just disappeared. At this point, the adults had had a few to drink, and by 11, they wanted the Cha Cha Slide.

Generally, i will repeat a song if i know it'll work (i.e. get people dancing)