PDA

View Full Version : Prewiring Truss System

DynamoTom
26-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Hello,

I am looking to prewire my 4 metre truss system to cut down on set up time + get rid of horrible cables trailing every where.

I would like to pre wire the 2 2 metre truss sections seperate with iec + dmx cables.

I am looking to buy this IEC power panel + pack to power all the lighting fixtures and use a PC DMX Software to control the lighting fixtures -

http://shop.sparkillystudios.co.uk/epages/es114078.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es114078_shop/Products/BOTE22&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&Locale=en_GB

At the moment I am using a max of 7 lighting effects on the 4 metre truss spread - 4 scanners, 2 moonflowers + led centrepiece. I may add a starcluster laser later on in the year.

What is the best way of pre wiring this system?

Here is a picture of my current light show and the truss system. I don't normally use the second led light (pointed at celling), I just wanted to try something and see if it worked at that gig.

Cheers,

Tom

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/DJTOM10/30th%20Wedding%20Anniversery%20-%2024th%20July%202010/DSCF3213.jpg

DJMaxG
26-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Tom,
You have asked what the best way of pre-wiring the truss is after clearly stating that you have intent to buy the Transcension Show Director. I am afraid that the answer is extremely obvious here.

You would obviously just power it all off the show director, then tidy the cables up.

I dont know what kind of answer you are looking for, but Im afraid in this scenario, you have answered you own question.

:confused:

deltic
26-07-2010, 09:59 AM
why do you need a show director when all the lights are dmx controlled?

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 10:00 AM
why do you need a show director when all the lights are dmx controlled?

They still need powering surely?

WWDJ
26-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm interested in the best way to prewire too.

Basically i want to be able to connect 1 IEC and 1 DMX cable to the truss and then the distributing cables should be as well hidden as possible.

It always seems to look messy when i need to split power down to a fixture and across to the next.

I only want to power / dmx 3 lights so this 'should' be easy.

DJ James Lake
26-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I made my own trunking fitted with IEC sockets every 12 inches and DMX in 2 x 2m sections which link together with patch leads and fit inside the truss.

WWDJ
26-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I made my own trunking fitted with IEC sockets every 12 inches and DMX in 2 x 2m sections which link together with patch leads and fit inside the truss.

Do you have any photos ? I use Ultimax trusslite.

Dynamic Entertainment
26-07-2010, 10:47 AM
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17773

Pictures 3 & 4 may give you some ideas.....

WWDJ
26-07-2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17773

Pictures 3 & 4 may give you some ideas.....

Thats the kind of thing. I like that the power cable is removable.
Where did you get the bits from ?

Dynamic Entertainment
26-07-2010, 11:38 AM
CPC and Terralec. Inside the box are 2 30amp junction boxes with one feed in from powercon and then the feeds out.

The DMX is also removeable into the box, and its not shown on the picture but its a female connector and then out through the cable gland.

DJ James Lake
26-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Do you have any photos ? I use Ultimax trusslite.

I will try and get some at the weekend. I think Jeff has some photos of his and mine is similar.

Basically its 2x 2m lengths of 2" square plastic trunking (from B&Q) with IEC & DMX sockets fitted every 12 inches. They link in the middle with Powercon connectors and DMX patch leads.

These then fit inside the tri-truss with a powercon connector and power lead for mains and a dmx socket and lead for the dmx.

Lights are hung and very short iec leads and dmx patch leads are used to connect the lights.

deltic
26-07-2010, 12:20 PM
They still need powering surely?

but you don't need to switch the fittings on and off remotely

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 04:34 PM
but you don't need to switch the fittings on and off remotely

Granted, but the show director only has one cable going to the truss/bar so it's as good a solution as any.

Excalibur
26-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Granted, but the show director only has one cable going to the truss/bar so it's as good a solution as any.

As a happy director user, I'd agree totally.

pwes
29-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Here's how I did mine a couple of year ago, and apart from repairing a couple of plugs that got caught it transit, all still working well !

each 2m length of Astralite has 5 dangling sets of an IEC + a male and a female XLR, so 10 in total for the 4m I normally use, plus 3 single IEC dotted around for any extra power needs (mirror ball). Each side gets one thick power cable (currently on Bulgin wired parallel to ALL live pins) which will be replaced by a c-form when I get around to it on e day ;-) then there's 1 DMX lead goes up on the right and job done !

As you will see from the back, neat enough for our needs and functional, but from the front you can barely see any cables, so keeps it much nicer for the guests.

Hope this help and gives you some inspiration to do your own...

DJMaxG
29-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Looks good - nice and neat ;)