PDA

View Full Version : Feedback and suggestions for my website???

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted your opinions on my website please.

I have personally designed it myself with swishmax and subscribe to moonfruit for simple hosting.

I know it takes a little time to load and plan to add a photo gallery with video within the next few months.

I wanted to keep it minimal and encourage people to make contact with me.

Any comments/suggestions/critisisms welcome :)

www.ecstatic-events.co.uk
www.basingstokediscos.co.uk
(both direct to the same site)

Thanks

:)

Booche
26-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Just getting a black screen with the white border :( <<, On Firefox

Tested on IE and same issue but with errors stated below :(

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)
Timestamp: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:03:27 UTC

Line: 1
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://www.basingstokediscos.co.uk/_app/18595/en/resources/big.js?tracker=SM.SWFAddress.tracker

Line: 163
Char: 2
Code: 0
URI: http://www.basingstokediscos.co.uk/

Cheers Dave :)

WWDJ
26-07-2010, 01:04 PM
yeah i can't access it either.

DJMaxG
26-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Very Jazzy :p

What happens when a Bride is looking for Wedding Discos from work and the music starts going off?

Is the background music everyones taste?

Where is your :
- Photo Gallery
- "About Us" / General Information

One advantage is publishing your price range, I can rest assure that you can provide services for all budgets. I like the background music, but it probably isnt everyones taste, as mentioned above. The site was quite slow to load. (IE 8)

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 01:07 PM
That's bizarre - Seems fine in Firefox and IE for me???

Mark Wild
26-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Works for me, I quite like it but forcing music on people is a no no imo.

I'm sure the guys in the know will put you straight on a technical level.

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Many thanks for your comments so far.

I am concerned a number of you cant access the site mind you!!!

The tracks assigned to each page is something I have been deliberating about keeping, with feedback so far, it's likely I'll remove them. Still WIP and Im getting quite a few enquiries through it, but I'd like MORE!!! :)

Charlie Brown
26-07-2010, 01:21 PM
I like it but took a long time to load my end. The Sky internet isn't great, but I'm talking a good 30 seconds.

I can't stand the music. Very annoying.

Very snazzy and clever - giving the wow factor.

I thought flash sites don't do very well in Google?

If you have done that yourself...well done! :approve:

Vectis
26-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I killed my instance after waiting 3 minutes for it to load. Activity monitor shows this... looks like some weird redirection feedback loop...

rob1963
26-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Not only can't I get the website to open, but after about 30 seconds, not only does the window just close...but it also closes the other websites I have open (the forum, ebay & my own website).

It therefore seems that trying to access your website has the same result as pressing alt & F4.

Very strange!

:confused:

Pe7e
26-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I gave up after 3 - 4 mins, back to the drawing board I suggest

Shaun
26-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't load for me. I gave up after a minute.

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 01:35 PM
This is REALLY bad news! I've been oblivious to all these problems for months, thankyou for bringing them to my attention.

I bought the domains from 123reg.co.uk and forward the domains to the moonfruit site. It's obvious there are some major issues routing in this way.

:(

Back to the drawing board...

Corabar Entertainment
26-07-2010, 01:36 PM
No go here either :(

Charlie Brown
26-07-2010, 01:49 PM
There is too much going on.

All singing and dancing is good....when it works. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
26-07-2010, 01:52 PM
nothing here either.....

surround sounds
26-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Waited 3 mins all i got was people dancing.Looked good thou

Dynamic Entertainment
26-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I got it to load (on iE8) but its very slow.

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Once again, many thanks for all your comments so far.

I have now changed the DNS for both sites, removed the music and removed the forwarding.

I know it takes a little while to load, I think this may be down to moonfruit? Does anyone else have experience with them?

It should be routing correctly now (within 24-48 hours)

I am actually amazed that I have had some online enquiries with these issues...

Thanks all for taking the time to look (or not in some cases!)

Corabar Entertainment
26-07-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm getting the 123-reg standard reservation page now! ("123-reg has registered this domain for one of its customers. If it's your domain name, you can manage it by logging in.")

Charlie Brown
26-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm getting no music on the start (faster load-in)

Wedding's isn't working...the rest does but it slows down because the music starts.

DJMaxG
26-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I found that clicking on the Disco ball skipped the intro (fortunately), but the site appeared very slow.

(the forum, ebay & my own website)

Do you surf your own website then, Rob? :D

DJWilson
26-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Too much hassle imo.

Also the music is a no no, also it's copyrighted and don't think your aloud to use it anyway?

Jiggles
26-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Moonfruit and Google Chrome:Mac doesn't work! Also still takes a year and a day for it to load for me.

rob1963
26-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Do you surf your own website then, Rob? :D

Of course I do, Max!

My website is my shop window & brings in the vast majority of my disco work, so I'm always looking at it & trying to come up with improvements...however small.

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Loads here but takes too much time.

Not sure brides would appreciate images of women with boobs hanging out?

I hate music on websites too.

Also, what does "Our DJs guarantee to deliver" mean and how do you leave the guests "ecstatic"?

Dynamic Entertainment
26-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Still got that annoying Professor Green on the Parties page.

I kind of agree with Daz...the whole Hed Kandi type animation doesnt scream wedding, but it depends on the market your targeting...

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Still got that annoying Professor Green on the Parties page.

I kind of agree with Daz...the whole Hed Kandi type animation doesnt scream wedding, but it depends on the market your targeting...

It does, but it says weddings on there, hence my opinion.

Dynamic Entertainment
26-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree daz...but the website just doesnt scream wedding DJ...more party DJ...with weddings as an afterthought....

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 05:16 PM
but the website just doesnt scream wedding DJ...more party DJ...with weddings as an afterthought....

Even though the front page says " Supplying premier DJs for weddings..." ;)

Vectis
26-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I agree daz...but the website just doesnt scream wedding DJ...more party DJ...with weddings as an afterthought....

My take is that it screams "stereotypical DJ" rather than "party" OR "wedding" DJ.

It's a site that's been put together with one eye on a catchy design and the other on selling the disco as a commodity. It's not benefitted from a marketing perspective, and the predominant use of Flash (whilst pretty) is a big turn-off for all the usual reasons.

Sorry, doesn't work for me on any level.

NKR
26-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Took for ever to get past the front page and I got bored and flicked off it as was not sure if that was it. I assume its more than just a front page?

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the comments so far.

This site is targeted at the younger generation of 18th, 21st, 30th and 40th milestone Birthday celebrations, Social Events wanting that modern/contempory/club feel. Assuming it loads, I know what the issues are now and will be correcting them over the coming week

I am working on different sites for Weddings and Childrens Parties.

Referring to the comments from Solitaire, Boobs hanging out? Do you honestly think a Bride wanting a Disco would find that offensive? I have had numerous enquiries for Wedding Receptions come in via the website so I would assume not. Also, I do Guarantee to deliver and have NEVER had a night where the guests weren't HAPPY with the event and service - Obviously I'm playing with words using Ecstatic throughout the website but always strive to go one better and deliver an exceptional service and even better party. Call it sales patter with backup :)

On the music and copyright aspects, please explain how this website which is for promotional use, breaches any copyright should I choose to have a music intro?

Its still Work In Progress so I take all comments and suggestions on board....

Thanks again

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Referring to the comments from Solitaire, Boobs hanging out? Do you honestly think a Bride wanting a Disco would find that offensive? I have had numerous enquiries for Wedding Receptions come in via the website so I would assume not. Also, I do Guarantee to deliver and have NEVER had a night where the guests weren't HAPPY with the event and service - Obviously I'm playing with words using Ecstatic throughout the website but always strive to go one better and deliver an exceptional service and even better party. Call it sales patter with backup :)

Well the fact is, you do advertise that you do weddings on that site, so it's pretty pointless saying you are working on different sites for weddings after the fact...

When was the last time you saw a wedding website apart from one advertising lingerie with half naked women on it? Why would brides be drawn to that?

You have had numerous enquiries come in yes, but how do you know that a load more haven't been put off by that?

You guarantee to deliver what? :confused:

Sales patter is all very well, but not if it doesn't make sense!

Charlie Brown
26-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Also, I do Guarantee to deliver and have NEVER had a night where the guests weren't HAPPY with the event and service -

That's a very strong statement and maybe one you should reconsider.

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Well the fact is, you do advertise that you do weddings on that site, so it's pretty pointless saying you are working on different sites for weddings after the fact...

When was the last time you saw a wedding website apart from one advertising lingerie with half naked women on it? Why would brides be drawn to that?

You have had numerous enquiries come in yes, but how do you know that a load more haven't been put off by that?

You guarantee to deliver what? :confused:

Sales patter is all very well, but not if it doesn't make sense!

I appreciate there is a "wedding" page but why would I want to pigeon hole the type of functions I cater for and potentially receive Emails asking If I catered for Wedding Receptions, there will be a link to a micro site on the wedding page in the future that will almost certainly have a more suitable wedding feel.

I now understand the site isnt to your taste but the site has a "disco" theme. I have to disagree about the half naked women statement (although on second glance there may be a little bit of nipple showing)

Im sure you know exactly what I claim to deliver, perhaps I should re-word... After all If someone is looking at the site Im sure they wont be expecting a Pizza Hut delivery???

All Im trying to do is make any potential client feel confident in me and my ability to make the most from thier special day or event

I appreciate your comments and will give them some serious thought if the site is potentially putting people off!!

Cheers :beer1:

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 08:49 PM
That's a very strong statement and maybe one you should reconsider.

Its on this forum, I wouldnt put it on my website...Even though it's entirely true.

Call me arrogant, I just beleive in my ability...:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I now understand the site isnt to your taste but the site has a "disco" theme. I have to disagree about the half naked women statement (although on second glance there may be a little bit of nipple showing)

I didn't say whether the site was to my taste or not - I am just commenting on it from a marketing POV.

yourdj
26-07-2010, 09:01 PM
There is too much going on.

All singing and dancing is good....when it works. :)

I would not say that. When it loads (eventually - most people would click off) its all on one page and sums up what they do quite well.
Nice and simple.

i think it needs a gallery though as you have said. Nice start IMO.

Loads here but takes too much time.

Not sure brides would appreciate images of women with boobs hanging out?
?

Exactly - Girls are funny like that.
Get in your clients head - get some half naked men on it :p
That hed kandi style rubbish is about 10 years old now.

have some excellent pics of people having fun. Look at istock or similar image sites if you do not have any.

Bit like the ones on charlie browns site :sofa:

I like it. Ditch the moon fruit rubbish and get some decent hosting with decent script or something :confused:

Below - here is some comments (ha beat the ten min thing).

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Solitaire,

If the theme of the site is something that could be putting potential clients off then its something I need to give some serious thought. Alhough it is something that only you has raised, are there any other thoughts from anyone else?

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Solitaire,

If the theme of the site is something that could be putting potential clients off then its something I need to give some serious thought. Alhough it is something that only you has raised, are there any other thoughts from anyone else?

I am the only one who raised it, maybe because no-one could view it earlier!

Add a poll on and see what people think.

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Ha Ha, very good!

Valid point, I didnt realise there were routing issues, so thank you to all those who raised it.

Im seriously considering going back to the drawing board... Make the site more generic and appealing to ALL...

DJWilson
26-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm personally not a fan of 'all-in-one' websites. I like to be able to link to each seperate page, a lot easier to go back to a certain page if I wanted to return at some point...

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm personally not a fan of 'all-in-one' websites. I like to be able to link to each seperate page, a lot easier to go back to a certain page if I wanted to return at some point...

I thought I had linked to each page seperately? On every page for easy navigation? You can even go back to the "disco girls" by clicking on Ecstatic Events on any page?

Have I misunderstood what you've wrote?

:cool:

DJWilson
26-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I thought I had linked to each page seperately? On every page for easy navigation? You can even go back to the "disco girls" by clicking on Ecstatic Events on any page?

Have I misunderstood what you've wrote?

:cool:

I mean like

www.examplesite.com/page (http://www.examplesite.com/page)

www.examplesite.com/disco (http://www.examplesite.com/disco) etc etc

StarZSoundS
26-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Its minimalistic and different.You'll learn that different doesn't always sit too well on the Forum..... Mike.:bang: :bang:

Would it make me want to book you.....sadly no!!......I must have got used to the thousands of About Us,Feedback,Gallery,FAQ,Contact Us type sites we are lead to.

Bask in your individuality for a while......If its not working for you there are hundreds on here you can take a lead from...;) ;) ;)

yourdj
26-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Its minimalistic and different.You'll learn that different doesn't always sit too well on the Forum..... Mike.:bang: :bang:

Would it make me want to book you.....sadly no!!......I must have got used to the thousands of About Us,Feedback,Gallery,FAQ,Contact Us type sites we are lead to.

Bask in your individuality for a while......If its not working for you there are hundreds on here you can take a lead from...;) ;) ;)

i have always done my own thing from birth and im doing OK :D

I agree however take a good idea and use it or take lots or the best bits of good ideas and create something amazing!

I have not created either :D But my mortgage is paid working 8 hours a week which will do.

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I mean like

www.examplesite.com/page (http://www.examplesite.com/page)

www.examplesite.com/disco (http://www.examplesite.com/disco) etc etc

Now I get you, Its a Moonfruit thing - It wont allow me to create sub domain addresses like that :(

StarZSoundS
26-07-2010, 09:26 PM
i have always done my own thing from birth :D

Yep Toby....we've seen the video.Whats nice about you Toby is you are able to take a ribbing and not take yourself too seriously!!!I'm pretty much like you.....hence two broken marriages.....so beware!!!;) ;)

Ecstatic Events
26-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Minimalistic is what I wanted :)

We shall see how it pans out, for a relatively new site. I am getting enquiries which is a good thing...

Thnaks for the comments :D

Booche
26-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Still cant see it :( must be somthing my end im guessing

Cheers Dave :)

StarZSoundS
26-07-2010, 09:36 PM

It could work......OR.....Maybe potential clients like wading through.....Fictitious Feedback....False Claims.....Grainy pictures of other peoples functions......reassurance that all have PLI and PAT(Though they haven't a :Censored: clue what it is).

Not thay any of the Websites on here fall into that category:) :) :) :)

CRAZY K
26-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Add a poll on and see what people think.

I can view no problem--currently using Firefox--not my favourite but its faster than IE.

Didnt hear music as maybe now taken off.

My old mince pies are getting on now--and I had a late night but the red type on home page is really annoying me--its blurring :eek:

The rest in yellow is ok--doesnt match the girls hair though:D

I hate mobile phone contacts--it smacks of amateurs im afraid in my book.

Do you enjoy shouting down a mobile telling the rest of the train, bus or street whilst trying to arrange a Wedding--basically your restricting your market to errr down market in my opinion.

Theres not much content on Weddings etc.

Talking of Weddings im not sure experience of working in Night Clubs is always worth mentioning--we had a Club DJ on here who clearly was uncomfortable and probably not very good at Weddings-- :(

You need some pictures/videos and feedback--after all you have been doing this for 10 years.

PLI PAT not mentioned--you deffo need more information on this site.

People dont phone mobiles for long conversations either because of cost or see above re shouting mobile to mobile-- they expect information on a website.

Areas covered--Basingstoke maybe?

Prices--I wouldnt worry--people read them and still dont get the message.:eek:

Hopefully these practical ideas will help a bit.

Good luck with it.

We run 5 websites here so we know a few answers.;)

yourdj
26-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Yep Toby....we've seen the video.Whats nice about you Toby is you are able to take a ribbing and not take yourself too seriously!!!

Which Video :D is that the one of me being a prat.

We shall see how it pans out, for a relatively new site. I am getting enquiries which is a good thing...

Thnaks for the comments :D

i personally like it.

Did you want to come to the next Southampton DJ meeting?

Not sure when that it though. Will be a curry this time and going to a club to laugh at one of the members and get drunk :beer1:

StarZSoundS
26-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Which Video :D is that the one of me being a p(tw)rat

i personally like it.

Did you want to come to the next Southampton DJ meeting?

Not sure when that it though. Will be a curry this time and going to a club to laugh at one of the members and get drunk :beer1:

Yes .....we've got quite a choice haven't we!!!

Its been censored off the site...."I'M A something or other":eek: :eek:

yourdj
26-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Yes .....we've got quite a choice haven't we!!!

Its been censored off the site...."I'M A something or other":eek: :eek:

I did put (tw) and edited it fast as i am on my last warning so thought better as im a good boy now :party1:

Shakermaker Promotions
27-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I've mentioned Mike's website to him a couple of times. I'm no web expert (you only have to look at mine to see that) but I pointed out a few things such as the flash for example.

Mike, you do NOT come across as arrogant whatsoever mate!! It's good to have confidence in yourself and what you do. Some people don't like it as it's seen as 'winkle waving' to them but stuff 'em. I personally think that with a few adjustments here and there, the market that Mike is aiming at will be suited by the site.

yourdj
27-07-2010, 07:32 AM
I've mentioned Mike's website to him a couple of times. I'm no web expert (you only have to look at mine to see that) but I pointed out a few things such as the flash for example.

Mike, you do NOT come across as arrogant whatsoever mate!! It's good to have confidence in yourself and what you do. Some people don't like it as it's seen as 'winkle waving' to them but stuff 'em. I personally think that with a few adjustments here and there, the market that Mike is aiming at will be suited by the site.

Isnt it willy waving or are we not allowed to say that now :confused:

there are some good and bad points - just take what you need to take from it.

Shakermaker Promotions
27-07-2010, 07:35 AM
You can say what you like Toby.

Ecstatic Events
27-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I can view no problem--currently using Firefox--not my favourite but its faster than IE.

Didnt hear music as maybe now taken off.

My old mince pies are getting on now--and I had a late night but the red type on home page is really annoying me--its blurring :eek:

The rest in yellow is ok--doesnt match the girls hair though:D

I hate mobile phone contacts--it smacks of amateurs im afraid in my book.

Do you enjoy shouting down a mobile telling the rest of the train, bus or street whilst trying to arrange a Wedding--basically your restricting your market to errr down market in my opinion.

Theres not much content on Weddings etc.

Talking of Weddings im not sure experience of working in Night Clubs is always worth mentioning--we had a Club DJ on here who clearly was uncomfortable and probably not very good at Weddings-- :(

You need some pictures/videos and feedback--after all you have been doing this for 10 years.

PLI PAT not mentioned--you deffo need more information on this site.

People dont phone mobiles for long conversations either because of cost or see above re shouting mobile to mobile-- they expect information on a website.

Areas covered--Basingstoke maybe?

Prices--I wouldnt worry--people read them and still dont get the message.:eek:

Hopefully these practical ideas will help a bit.

Good luck with it.

We run 5 websites here so we know a few answers.;)

Thanks for your comments :)

The font type on each page IS taken from the hair on the girls on each page :)

I take on board what you say about the mobile numbers, I will always offer a call back within the first few moments of a call and return them when im not mobile if that makes sense, I will buy a NGN in the future and route calls accordingly

Minimilistic is what i wanted, I have both PLI (5m) and PAT tested equipment of which I advise at the earliest opportunity (I think I will add this to the site)

Photo/Video Gallery will be added, Im hiring a professional photographer (well a mate who is a top spotter on DSI) to take photos at my next 3/4 gigs so I can get some NICE shots and video, I have only been mobile with my rig for 3-4 months (although DJ'ing for 11 years now) and have taken photos/videos with my BlackBerry which arent the best!!

Areas covered, I would prefer to work out of Basingstoke!!! Within a 40-60 mile radius - So I should add that to the site :)

Weddings - Im currently working on a microsite which will link from the page along with a childrens microsite too!

I may be from a club background but already have a number of weddings (a 60th and 70th Birthday too!) under my belt, as long as you are confident on the mic and now how to work a floor how hard can it be???

Will update when the microsites are complete for review

Cheers :beer1:

yourdj
27-07-2010, 08:10 AM
You can say what you like Toby.

I cant I'm on my last warning :)

Ecstatic Events
27-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Cheers Gary! Im assuming you never had any issues accessing the site???

I will be working on adjustments this week that will sort out the loading issues...

As mentioned previously, there's a couple of microsites Im working on - Ill let you know when they're ready to view... :)

Toby,

The Southampton DJ meeting, keep me in the loop :)

I'll attend if I am free. And it will be me you'll all be laughing at for getting wasted :)

Cheers :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

DJMaxG
27-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I agree with what Gary has said - there is no harm in feeling proud of your website/equipment/services :approve:

yourdj
27-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I cant I'm on my last warning :)

Too late :(

CRAZY K
27-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I am getting enquiries which is a good thing...

Thats the easy bit--

getting the gigs is the hard bit:eek:

Ecstatic Events
27-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Thats the easy bit--

getting the gigs is the hard bit:eek:

Lol :D

Its as simple as ABC

ALWAYS

BE

CLOSING

I know what you mean though - Gary from Shakermaker has been a great help with passing gigs to get me up and running.... :cool:

Shakermaker Promotions
27-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Lol :D

Its as simple as ABC

ALWAYS

BE

CLOSING

I know what you mean though - Gary from Shakermaker has been a great help with passing gigs to get me up and running.... :cool:

...and as you know mate, that will continue to happen because you're a great DJ.

discomobiledj
27-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I couldn't get on to any menu's. The flash page intro is very slow.

yourdj
27-07-2010, 11:49 PM
...and as you know mate, that will continue to happen because you're a great DJ.

Do you two know each other :)

fancy the soton curry night next month? (i still have to organize it though) :o

Shakermaker Promotions
28-07-2010, 06:56 AM
We've known eachother for around 12 years I reckon although we've never worked together until the past 6 months and it's working well.

The Curry club depends what day it is to be honest mate.