PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Coordinator

Charlie Brown
27-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I have three to phone (never done it before) and I'm not quite sure what to say.

Basically, I want to arrange a meet with them following excellent nights and good reviews from the staff.

How would you go about it?

Mark Wild
27-07-2010, 02:47 PM
What's the reason for the meeting?

sweetie
27-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Ask them if they had the time to meet with a view to being put on the approved/recommended suppliers list.

Charlie Brown
27-07-2010, 03:07 PM
What's the reason for the meeting?

Recommended/main supplier. One of them already has a resident DJ but apparently he is rubbish!

Ask them if they had the time to meet with a view to being put on the approved/recommended suppliers list.

Hmmm, yeah. I don't want to frustrate them.

ppentertainments
27-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I have three to phone (never done it before) and I'm not quite sure what to say.

Basically, I want to arrange a meet with them following excellent nights and good reviews from the staff.

How would you go about it?
Is the meeting to try and gain more bookings or about upcoming bookings you have already ??

If it is the former, before you phone, I would do quite a bit of research first, if the latter it should be no difference than phoning up a client.

Edit : charlie posted the same time as myself

DeckstarDeluxe
27-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I have thought about this approach before but been slighty put off by the way they conduct themselves, i.e they almost promote the Bridezilla approach.

I would be interested to see what people have to say on this topic also.

rob1963
27-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I have thought about this approach before but been slighty put off by the way they conduct themselves, i.e they almost promote the Bridezilla approach.

You clearly know some bad ones.

I work with a particular wedding coordinator several times a year, and she's as nice as pie.

yourdj
27-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Recommended/main supplier. One of them already has a resident DJ but apparently he is rubbish!

Hmmm, yeah. I don't want to frustrate them.

Sounds lucrative. I would just be relaxed and professional.
Have all the figures to hand.

tell her exactly what you can do and do not get beaten on price.

Obviously they have to take a cut. :)

Spirits High
27-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Charlie,

What venues are tyou after as I might be able to give you some background info ;)

If you don't want to make them public knowledge then you've got my email address.

ppentertainments
27-07-2010, 04:36 PM

I would be interested to see what people have to say on this topic also.

Hence my post about doing some research beforehand. There are a lot of wedding suppliers and services who just see the pound signs and, in contrast, there are others who excel in their field.

I was booked for 8 weddings with a co-ordinator. Deposits received but no more contact. I emailed, rang etc etc. Eventually I contacted the clients through the venues who each came with the same story - the coordinator has vanished. In the meantime, with the exception of 2, they had obviously gone on to book suppliers themselves.

Equally I have worked with coordinators who have been brilliant. What I will say, is these 'good' coordinators like attention to detail.

As I say, Charlie, do plenty of research beforehand, if possible even contact previous brides, venues, other suppliers or at least view valid testimonials.

DazzyD
27-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Sounds lucrative. I would just be relaxed and professional.
Have all the figures to hand.

tell her exactly what you can do and do not get beaten on price.

Obviously they have to take a cut. :)

The last time I spoke to a wedding coordinator, I was told my quote of £350 for a basic wedding disco was "very cheap" and because of this her clients thought I couldn't be any good! :eek:

Ironic thing is, it wouldn't have been me doing the disco as I was busy that night. It was for another operator who usually charges around £120-£150 for his shows! I would have branded him as my company for the evening, taken a cut of the fee and he would be about £100 up on his usual prices. Funny how things pan out sometimes!

Charlie Brown
27-07-2010, 06:45 PM
"Hello there, my name is Charlie Brown calling from Charlie Brown's Entertainment. I would love to meet with you regarding your wedding and corporate entertainment. We provided wedding entertainment in your main hall last weekend and a few members of staff suggested we give you bell. What day suits you?"

It's just getting there. Once I'm in and I'll be fine.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I think you are being a little presumptuous CB.

A few members of staff suggested we give you a bell, doesn't actually mean that the co-ordinator wants or needs to meet you, so I'd be a little careful with the "What day suits you" before you've even found out if they want to meet you.

The co-ordinator might be very happy with the current DJ even if they are crap.

Silver
27-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Sorry but ............ "Give you a bell"!

Had anybody e mailed, phoned, talked to, texted me that phrase I would have finished the conversation most abrutly. That to me is so very very amatuerish and unprofessional. Sounds like somebody trying to do a deal for some dodgy gear off the back of a lorry!

Excalibur
27-07-2010, 08:06 PM
The last time I spoke to a wedding coordinator, I was told my quote of £350 for a basic wedding disco was "very cheap" and because of this her clients thought I couldn't be any good! :eek:
!
:zip: :eek:

I think you are being a little presumptuous CB.

A few members of staff suggested we give you a bell, doesn't actually mean that the co-ordinator wants or needs to meet you, so I'd be a little careful with the "What day suits you" before you've even found out if they want to meet you.

The co-ordinator might be very happy with the current DJ even if they are crap.
Translation: It's her nephew. :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry but ............ "Give you a bell"!

Had anybody e mailed, phoned, talked to, texted me that phrase I would have finished the conversation most abrutly. That to me is so very very amatuerish and unprofessional. Sounds like somebody trying to do a deal for some dodgy gear off the back of a lorry!

:agree:

ppentertainments
27-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Ironic thing is, it wouldn't have been me doing the disco as I was busy that night. It was for another operator who usually charges around £120-£150 for his shows! I would have branded him as my company for the evening, taken a cut of the fee and he would be about £100 up on his usual prices. Funny how things pan out sometimes!

Which co-ordinator was that ?? My standard wedding disco is not much more than that, and think I am probably quite top end in this area. If I can find a coordinator willing to pay my fee I will contact them :) :)

I get a few pieces of work from a very popular wedding coordinator, who has won awards, but tend to find most of her clients prefer live music for the whole night.

rob1963
27-07-2010, 10:21 PM
IThe co-ordinator might be very happy with the current DJ even if they are crap.

Especially if they're CHEAP!

Vectis
27-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Especially if they're CHEAP!

Or give good backhanders... :whistle:

rob1963
27-07-2010, 10:27 PM

Indeed!

:eek:

funkymook
27-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I think the 'there's something in it for them' approach works best, something along the lines of:

"Hello, my name is Charlie Brown calling from Charlie Brown's Entertainment, we provided the wedding entertainment in your main hall last weekend.

I get a lot of enquiries from couples in the early stages of planning their wedding receptions and some ask if I can recommend a venue. I'd like to be able to pass your details onto them - could we arrange a meeting to discuss how best we could be of help to each other, when's a conveninet time etc etc.....

yourdj
27-07-2010, 11:32 PM

God how good would that be a whole years bookings confirmed at £400-450 twice a week! :eek: I wish :)

DazzyD
28-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Which co-ordinator was that ?? My standard wedding disco is not much more than that, and think I am probably quite top end in this area. If I can find a coordinator willing to pay my fee I will contact them :) :)

I get a few pieces of work from a very popular wedding coordinator, who has won awards, but tend to find most of her clients prefer live music for the whole night.

I've no idea who it was (it certainly wasn't a local accent) but it was for a wedding at Beamish Hall this year (I quoted for it last year). She told me that other quotes received were all in the region of £650 upwards and, as mine was half of this, it must mean I'm no good!

ppentertainments
28-07-2010, 03:39 PM

................what are you insinuating Mr Vibe. :D :D

paull
28-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Try and ask plenty of questions before presenting what you do. One mans?womans ideal wedding DJ is anothers nightmare, the same normally aplies to a wedding organiser

ppentertainments
28-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I've no idea who it was (it certainly wasn't a local accent) but it was for a wedding at Beamish Hall this year (I quoted for it last year). She told me that other quotes received were all in the region of £650 upwards and, as mine was half of this, it must mean I'm no good!
What were the requirements ?? I can't see many DJ's, unless travelling, charging £650+ for a basic wedding disco.

Charlie, I think it could be worth, as part of your introductions pointing the wedding coordinators to your website. By doing this you are not taking up too much of their time with 'waffle', and allow them to research you and your services in their own time.

I would also ensure you have a really good portfolio with you containing relevant information including photos, testimonials, any significant gigs you have done / are booked for etc.

Also remember - they need you as well as you needing them ;)

simon1969
28-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Do you now which dj services were offering to do disco for £650.00???
Must have a set up out of this world or coming from a long away!!!
Also if you have testimonals from previous customers and pictures of your kit that would help you a lot too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Must have a set up out of this world or coming from a long away!!!

Why?

Ever thought that they offer a premium, second to none service and tick all the boxes?

simon1969
28-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Why?

Ever thought that they offer a premium, second to none service and tick all the boxes?

Erm yes have thought of that but if the boxes and ticks arn't made of gold I wouldn't pay that sort of money (would you)? :confused: :)

Excalibur
28-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Erm yes have thought of that but if the boxes and ticks arn't made of gold I wouldn't pay that sort of money (would you)? :confused: :)

I'm trying my best not to get drawn into this, but I quoted for a gig recently, nothing special, and she said the quotes ranged from £100 to £675!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

( The £675 quote wasn't me, and it wasn't Darren. )

simon1969
28-07-2010, 06:30 PM
That's a big financial gap,!!
IMO £675.00 is a lot of money and greed comes to my mind for dj services for that amount.
There is probably people out there that charge in the 1k region for dj services but I wouldn't sleep at night if I charged that much.
Just my humble opnion mind you no need to jump on me for these comments!!:please:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-07-2010, 06:32 PM
IMO £675.00 is a lot of money and greed comes to my mind for dj services for that amount.
There is probably people out there that charge in the 1k region for dj services but I wouldn't sleep at night if I charged that much.
Just my humble opnion mind you no need to jump on me for these comments!!:please:
Sorry but I don't agree with that at all. Ive seen some big players in this industry who provide an excellent service from start to finish. If they were overcharging for what they provide then they would soon be out of business wouldn't they.

Anyways we seem to veering off topic towards another money thread here.......

Excalibur
28-07-2010, 06:35 PM
There is probably people out there that charge in the 1k region for dj services but I wouldn't sleep at night if I charged that much.Just my humble opnion mind you no need to jump on me for these comments!!:please:

At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask. ;) I'm on your side mate, in case you hadn't realised. :D :D

No chastisement yet, those comments don't warrant it. ;) :D

Sorry but I don't agree with that at all. Ive seen some big players in this industry who provide an excellent service from start to finish. If they were overcharging for what they provide then they would soon be out of business wouldn't they.
Anyways we seem to veering off topic towards another money thread here.......

Errrr, no. They'd just be making easy money, if they were selling to the right market.

simon1969
28-07-2010, 06:47 PM
At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask. ;) I'm on your side mate, in case you hadn't realised. :D :D

Thanks !!! Agree totally and yes he did!
No chastisement yet, those comments don't warrant it. ;) :D

Good i'm glad phew!!! :D :)

Errrr, no. They'd just be making easy money, if they were selling to the right market.

Agree again and we are veering off again for a change!! :)

ppentertainments
28-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm trying my best not to get drawn into this, but I quoted for a gig recently, nothing special, and she said the quotes ranged from £100 to £675!!!
Nothing too unusual there, however for a wedding coordinator to say £650 was far too cheap is absurd, especially in a venue where the resident DJ charges £120.

Dick Turpin here just about to post 3 booking forms :D :D

robbiedj
28-07-2010, 07:08 PM
This week I had a call from a bride looking for a dj who wanted advice. She said she'd had a quote of £320, which she thought was expensive compared to others of £150 to £170. I asked her about PLI/PAT etc and mentioned contracts. I also pointed out that in London the quote would have been around £600 and asked how much her cake was.

She called me back to say she had spoken to the djs .............. and booked the £320 one as he had all the requirements.

Another called in a panic because she had booked a dj, the function venue asked about his paperwork, which he did not have. She then booked another, who said he had it, only to discover he thought saying it was enough. Nobody would ask for it.

Yes, a quote can be too low.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Yes.

You aren't in business then obviously. Fair enough.

simon1969
28-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes.

You aren't in business then obviously. Fair enough.

Iam in business and my kit would not warrant that amount of money even if I was best entertainer on earth!!
That's all i'm saying only my opnion and i respect yours but still don't agree!! :)

Danno13
28-07-2010, 07:25 PM
What does kit have to do with anything? When a client pays a photographer £1k+ they're paying for their expertise, not their camera (which costs significantly less than even an average DJ rig and music collection), so why should DJs be seen any differently?

In my humble opinion, it's the whole "people won't pay XX" attitude and low value DJs generally place on themselves, that explain why prices are so inproportionatley low compared to everything else in this industry!

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Iam in business and my kit would not warrant that amount of money e

How are you in business when you have such a negative attitude to earning more money. Don't you have ambition? Don't you believe in what you do? Why are you saying that your kit would not warrant it? Is it the kit you sell or you and the service you provide?

simon1969
28-07-2010, 07:38 PM
How are you in business when you have such a negative attitude to earning more money. Don't you have ambition? Don't you believe in what you do? Why are you saying that your kit would not warrant it? Is it the kit you sell or you and the service you provide?

It's not negative it's realistic, and yes I do have ambition, and yes I do believe in what I do but don't see how charging a lot of money proves that?!?!
Its me I'm selling of course and most of my gigs and I have excellent feedback.
Saying that though clients like to see lots of lights etc so it's a combination of both really.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I
Saying that though clients like to see lots of lights etc

Fair enough. Carry on as you are then.

ppentertainments
28-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Saying that though clients like to see lots of lights etc so it's a combination of both really.
Do you have any proof of this ???

One of the booking forms I have posted was for me to supply PA and afternoon music with Disco in the evening. The disco will have a grand total of 2 lighting effects. This is the customers requirements. The fee is enough to more than cover my personal bills for a month ;)

I know of a DJ locally who takes a minimum of 8 effects, speakers to fill Wembley etc etc. He is struggling like mad for bookings and ends up mainly with kids parties etc.

Charlie Brown
28-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Ahem...

simon1969
28-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you have any proof of this ???

One of the booking forms I have posted was for me to supply PA and afternoon music with Disco in the evening. The disco will have a grand total of 2 lighting effects. This is the customers requirements. The fee is enough to more than cover my personal bills for a month ;)

I know of a DJ locally who takes a minimum of 8 effects, speakers to fill Wembley etc etc. He is struggling like mad for bookings and ends up mainly with kids parties etc.

No sworn testimonys sorry but people when they enquire do ask about lights,have you the light that does this that and the other?
And fair enough if that's what they require, you supply yeah?
If someone is looking at a dj website it has to be eye catching as in dancefloor picture lots of lights full dancefloor.
Granted a lot of business is word of mouth and not everyone is looking out for lights etc but it helps!!! :)

DeckstarDeluxe
28-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Guys we are going off topic here again.

Start a new thread or search for ones that already cover your topics of discussion please.

simon1969
28-07-2010, 08:48 PM
:sorry: yes apologies charlie hope you sort it!!!

ppentertainments
28-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Ahem...

Sorry Charlie, are you any further forward with your thoughts ??

Excalibur
28-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Sorry Charlie, are you any further forward with your thoughts ??

I'm thinking it's time you went to feed Black Bess. ;) :p :D :D :D :D :D

DJ Jules
28-07-2010, 09:04 PM
No sworn testimonys sorry but people when they enquire do ask about lights,have you the light that does this that and the other?

I've had that a few times this year - for a mirrorball :bang:

:D

Julian

ppentertainments
28-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking it's time you went to feed Black Bess. ;) :p :D :D :D :D :D
:offtopic: :Naughty: :p

robbiedj
29-07-2010, 10:36 AM
:offtopic: :Naughty: :p

The term refering to a kettle and pot comes to mind. :D :D :D

DazzyD
29-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Just to answer the comments then I'll bow out:

What were the requirements ?? I can't see many DJ's, unless travelling, charging £650+ for a basic wedding disco.

The quote was for a wedding disco 7pm to 12am. No other details were given at the time. From our conversation later, I got the feeling that there was uplighting and maybe even video screens involved, too, although she didn't strictly say that. I also got the feeling the client was very wealthy possibly someone famous. The entertainment budget was a four-figure sum.

Nothing too unusual there, however for a wedding coordinator to say £650 was far too cheap is absurd, especially in a venue where the resident DJ charges £120.

I never said she said £650 was cheap. She said £350 seemed too cheap compared to the other quotes they had received from others. I've also a feeling that some of these others were professional AV companies as opposed to mobile discos. Again, nothing we said to confirm this solidly but, from our conversation later, this is the impression I got.

Just to add, I've done gigs at the venue ranging from £120 to £295 so I know it's not a venue thing. This was an issue with the wedding coordinator.

Charlie Brown
30-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Well the first one I rang is going to ring me back on Monday.

The second said they don't wish to commit to anything but I can drop off a cards and leaflets that go in their wedding packs.

The third, I'm about to call now.... - This is one I want the most.

Charlie Brown
30-07-2010, 12:52 PM
...and the third said give us a ring on Monday.

Anticipation.

Vectis
30-07-2010, 01:57 PM
...and the third said give us a ring on Monday.

Anticipation.

Yeah ... and a Friday afternoon sales call to a wedding co-ordinator in July is really going to endear you :cool: No wonder she said Monday :p

Good luck with it btw :beer1:

Charlie Brown
30-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah ... and a Friday afternoon sales call to a wedding co-ordinator in July is really going to endear you :cool: No wonder she said Monday :p

Good luck with it btw :beer1:

Thank's Martin.

You (we) may have a little job on hands knocking up a recommend venue list. Similar to Darren's...but not as sophisticated. ;)

jc light and sound
30-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Well said that man,totally agree with you Darren its not all about how much kit you use a lot of my clients like the professional nothings too much trouble approach in fact most of my jobs now consist of dj booth pros system with 4 scanners centre light depends on what we fancy putting up play out system couple of uplights and thats it but they are still prepared to pay a good fee because of the way i run my buisness and the presentation of the kit and myself.Believe in yourselfe aim higher you dont get them all but you do get your fair share.