PDA

View Full Version : New site! :)

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Just in the final stages of tweaking a few minor details.

Just wondering what your thoughts are and any mistakes or issues that occur.

www.deckstardeluxe.com (http://www.deckstardeluxe.com)

Good or bad its all good. Not going to get upset if someone doesnt like it.

rob1963
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Just had a quick look, Neil, and it looks like Martin's done a first class job, as usual.

Just one small comment...a fair bit of scrolling is required to get from the top of the home page to the bottom.

On my 17" monitor, the home page is FIVE times the height of my screen, which I think is a tad too much.

Everything else looks great though.

:thumbsup:

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Not on mine Rob.

Just as a note anyone seeing issues could you put a bit about what your using

So Rob what OS are you using, what browser and screen resolution would be helpful

Corabar Entertainment
04-08-2010, 12:49 PM
On my 17" monitor, the home page is FIVE times the height of my screen, which I think is a tad too much.

:confused: Are we looking at the same site? :confused:

rob1963
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
No problem, Neil.

I'm running IE7 on XP with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

Mark Wild
04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Oh no, not another VV DIY job? :p Looks the business mate ;)

rob1963
04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
:confused: Are we looking at the same site? :confused:

Assuming you clicked on the link in the OP, then yes.

It's only the home page I'm having this problem with. None of the other pages are more than about 1.5 times the height of my screen.

:confused:

SC Events
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Looks good, but i'm not overly keen on the colour scheme of grey and pink.

Spirits High
04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Nice,

On the "Meet the DJ" bit there's a pic of Kermit to click on are you saying the Djs a :muppet: :D :D and the pictures quite blurry....(not that that's a bad thing :p )

Also I'll have to rethink my header now for myweddingdisco.co.uk as you've got the stock image in your icons at the bottom :(

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
oh yes the picture properly needs resizing until I can get a more suitable picture to use.

Mark Wild
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
How come you went with .com? You're using way too many stock photos also imo.

Charlie Brown
04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
How come you went with .com? You're using way too many stock photos also imo.

:agree:

It sort of lacks substance? You did some more real pictures in there?

A picture of you in a suit would also be nice. ;)

Very well designed however! Splendid job Martin....for a change!

Can't wait for mine now! :D

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
True Mark but I've only taken someone with me to take photos a couple of times. Personally dont really see the need for a roadie and can relax abit more and do my job without worrying about if the guy is bored or looking like a spare part.

Got a few gigs coming up where I will take someone but question is getting the right photo.

Charlie Brown
04-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I had loads of stock photos at first but I have been able to balance it out with new photos.

A couple of shots at each gig will suffice.

CRAZY K
04-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Just in the final stages of tweaking a few minor details.

Just wondering what your thoughts are and any mistakes or issues that occur.

www.deckstardeluxe.com (http://www.deckstardeluxe.com)

Good or bad its all good. Not going to get upset if someone doesnt like it.

Looks good Neil.

Two points--if your promoting upmarket Weddings you need a photo of you in a DJ/Bowtie etc. because they aint going to be impressed with your shirt mate!

Second--re choice of music I would emphasise you take CLIENT Playlists as this seems to bug a lot people--I dont believe giviing the guests a choice is a good idea--theres too much risk of a load of stupid floor clearing junk appearing and then complaints when you dont play it.

I put my :Censored: request on your website where is it:eek:

I THINK WE ARE UNDER AN OBLIGATION TO POINT THIS OUT TO THE CLIENT

I am currently dealing with a similar problem for a Wedding and have told the Bride its pointless accepting---stupid floor clearing junk--it will only ruin her Wedding Reception.

Well maybe not those words--but the same message;)

It needs advice from the DJ.

Many Photos are obviously professional , clearly not from your events--as Mark points out.

Better get some of your own asap --all mine are original photos and videos which I find helps.

Mark Wild
04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I had loads of stock photos at first but I have been able to balance it out with new photos.

A couple of shots at each gig will suffice.

Indeed, I did too and like young Charles says, just a couple at each gig will sort that problem quite quick. I've never once used a roadie ;) A couple of my pics were sent by wedding guests who I chatted up to email me any decent pics they get :D As my mother in-law says to me "You'd get a piece and jam at anyones door you" or my own mum who says "You've got a bloody cheek" lol

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Indeed, I did too and like young Charles says, just a couple at each gig will sort that problem quite quick. I've never once used a roadie ;) A couple of my pics were sent by wedding guests who I chatted up to email me any decent pics they get :D As my mother in-law says to me "You'd get a piece and jam at anyones door you" or my own mum who says "You've got a bloody cheek" lol

True, but many of the photos Ive had for one reason or another arent up to the quality required for the site.

So the pictures issue is known about and put to bed for the time being.

Any issues on viewing?

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Looks good, but i'm not overly keen on the colour scheme of grey and pink.

Me neither - I assume it's suppose to match the silver of your logo, but I think it looks a little dull.

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
The spec was to keep it simple. Not a match made in heaven no.

If your not keen on the colours what would you suggest?

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2010, 01:55 PM
The spec was to keep it simple. Not a match made in heaven no.

If your not keen on the colours what would you suggest?

Can you ask Martin to change the background to white, just so we can have a look?

Charlie Brown
04-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Can you ask Martin to change the background to white, just so we can have a look?

I reckon white would look better.

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I cant see white working. I think changing the background is going to impact other aspects of the site regarding fonts etc...

I know "grey and pink" dont sound great but I liked it when I saw the first proof and havent changed my mind since.

Looking at a few different colour schemes at the mo.

Shaun
04-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I love the grey and pink. It sets it apart from loads of other sites that look too "samey".

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 02:38 PM
I love the grey and pink. It sets it apart from loads of other sites that look too "samey".

I was waiting til someone mentioned that. Thanks Shaun.

Spirits High
04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I was waiting til someone mentioned that. Thanks Shaun.

I've always liked to have a bit of pink on it.

One of the venues I work at has a great pink and black colour sceme , website hotel signage etc, works great.

www.shottlehall.co.uk

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
thats a very nice site that Paul. (In the mindset of a bride to be)

The pink was chosen for that very reason too.

Mark Wild
04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I like that colour too tbh, you'll never please everyone with what colours you use mate.

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 02:52 PM
I like that colour too tbh, you'll never please everyone with what colours you use mate.

Aye, least its not green ;) lol

Mark Wild
04-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Aye, least its not green ;) lol

Mint :D

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Actually looked into different colour schemes and I think the grey is the best choice to go with.

Will review the site week upon week however so may change at a later date.

I take it other than Rob nobody has had any issues with viewing any part of the site? It loads nice and quickly too?

Mark Wild
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Actually looked into different colour schemes and I think the grey is the best choice to go with.

Will review the site week upon week however so may change at a later date.

I take it other than Rob nobody has had any issues with viewing any part of the site? It loads nice and quickly too?

No issues here with viewing and I'm sure VV has the loading times very much under control ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes thanks Mark.

Martin has done a sterling job on this. I didn't help much by the fact I laid down a very sketchy design brief which was simple yet classy that appeals to the right market. I wanted Martin to use his professional advice as much as possible because as a DJ I know how annoying it is when people without much knowledge right and tell us what works and doesn't.

Many emails have been exchanged and one point looked like we would have a job finding a design that fits however we got here in the end :)

Mark Wild
04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
You never answered this.

How come you went with .com?

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
His original site is .co.uk

I assume they will be directed to the same place.

DeckstarDeluxe
04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
oh Martin noticed it was for sale and for £20 for 2 years thought why not.

I kid you not sometimes when giving out my email or web address on the phone I have to think am I .co.uk or .com lol. Now I have both :)

Happy Jack
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I think you'd benefit from the open, airy feel of a white background. Or perhaps just block #ABABAB, or a little darker if you prefer. Ask Martin to try a few CSS themes?

I say this as there is fairly obvious 'banding' of the background gradient. As Martin will know, smooth transitions through the grey tones aren't easily achievable; common LCD's with a limited palette are unable to render the data, whether the data is there or not. Ends up looking like a ink cartridge that has nearly run out, although it isn't obvious at the source.

http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/images/backgradient.jpg

He may consider introducing a little dithering or noise to disguise the banding if he can keep the file size down and keep it seamless, or saving to 32 bit as an interlaced .png instead. It's there in essence, just a little tidy up may perfect what is already a very nice site!

DJMaxG
04-08-2010, 10:50 PM
The site looks good, It is not overdone

The first thing I noticed was your new logo, it looks much better straight (was originally angled), and I think all the graphics match. No colour clashing.

When you click "Meet the DJ", the photo of Neil is quite compressed/pixelated, so I would imagen that it has been taken on a Mobile phone or facebook etc. :eek:

Apart from that, decent site :approve:

yourdj
04-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I have gone to the front page and do not need to go further!!

Totally excellent job. :)

funksoulbrother
05-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Nice website Neil, Martin's done a brilliant professional job on it. :) :beer1: :thumbs_up:

Now all I've got to do is try and save up to get mine done, :lightbulb: anyone know how much I'd get for selling a rather oldish, used kidney ? ? :D

yourdj
05-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I recognize the mobile nightclub pic.

I have it as my desktop image :)

Marc J
05-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Nice site, though text breaking out of containers (at the bottom) on http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/kids-teens-disco.php, http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/schools-proms-disco.php, http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/christmas-parties.php, http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/161821-disco.php and particulary bad on http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/private-functions.php, using Chrome, Safari, IE8 and FireFox on Win XP.

Maybe it's just me, but it wasn't immediately obvious that there was another row of navigation links along the bottom. What I mean was that I knew they were there as I could see them, but when scanning over the page I assumed they were either the usual duplicate of the top navigation, or links to non-essential pages that you get (legal stuff, copyright notices etc. etc...stuff you'd rarely pay attention to). It's unusual to see "important" navigation positioned like this...I wonder how many other visitors will miss it?

The picture at http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/about-deckstar-deluxe.php is terrible! Also (probably not unique to that page as it's for the carousel) I'm not sure the <noscript> redirect to a non-js version of the page is a good idea, and it alone means the page fails validation which is a shame. It's better to deal with JS elements as they occur within the page - I'd maybe make the .carousel div visibilty:hidden in the HTML code and switch it to visible using jQuery on page load (don't worry, Martin will know what that means!).

Charlie Brown
05-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it wasn't immediately obvious that there was another row of navigation links along the bottom.

I have only just noticed it! :o

Shaun
05-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it wasn't immediately obvious that there was another row of navigation links along the bottom. What I mean was that I knew they were there as I could see them, but when scanning over the page I assumed they were either the usual duplicate of the top navigation, or links to non-essential pages that you get (legal stuff, copyright notices etc. etc...stuff you'd rarely pay attention to). It's unusual to see "important" navigation positioned like this...I wonder how many other visitors will miss it?

That's a very good point. I did notice the links at the bottom, but not right away. I can see why this could be an issue.

rob1963
05-08-2010, 12:52 PM
I've just noticed some of the text breakthrough Marc referred to on the home page as well (viewed in IE7 on XP).

DJWilson
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Look's fine here in IE8 on Vista. Nice work :)

Marc J
05-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Rob, there's something seriously wrong there - do you have javascript enabled? What browser are you using?

I ask because there's only meant to be one main image on the home page, which goes through a (javascript powered) slideshow. This makes your earlier comment re heavy scrolling on the home page make more sense now!

rob1963
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Rob, there's something seriously wrong there - do you have javascript enabled? What browser are you using?

I ask because there's only meant to be one main image on the home page, which goes through a (javascript powered) slideshow. This makes your earlier comment re heavy scrolling on the home page make more sense now!

Hi Marc,

I'm running Windows XP and using IE7.

Sorry, but not being very technical I have no idea whether I have javascript enabled, or how to find out.

:confused:

rob1963
05-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I have no idea whether I have javascript enabled, or how to find out.

Okay, I think I've just found it.

Under the "Scripting" heading, I have "Enable" showing as the current status, so does that means I DO have Javascript enabled?

DeckstarDeluxe
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Marc, can you reload the site and see if thats any better.

The bottom row of buttons will stay for the time being but if people are getting to the site and not clicking the links at the bottom then we'll look into other ideas.

Trust Rob to have the issue ;)

rob1963
05-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Trust Rob to have the issue ;)

:sofa:

DeckstarDeluxe
05-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Just to throw a spanner in the works......

Lady just rang asking for an Ivory starcloth :)

Neil

Mark Wild
05-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Just to throw a spanner in the works......

Lady just rang asking for an Ivory starcloth :)

Neil

How did she find your new website?

DeckstarDeluxe
05-08-2010, 02:37 PM
How did she find your new website?

Didnt ask actually as I was too busy trying to find Dans price file which turns out I didnt have.

Didnt expect such a impact so soon. Just trying to get the DJEP stuff sorted

Mark Wild
05-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Didnt ask actually as I was too busy trying to find Dans price file which turns out I didnt have.

Didnt expect such a impact so soon. Just trying to get the DJEP stuff sorted

Onwards and upwards mate ;)

rob1963
05-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Neil,

I'm pleased to say the issue I had with your home page has been sorted.

It now displays correctly on my computer with no text breakthrough, and is only about 1.5 times the height of my screen, just like all the other pages on your site.

:thumbsup:

CRAZY K
05-08-2010, 04:41 PM
:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

The picture at http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/about-deckstar-deluxe.php is terrible!

Which one, the real one or the blank Marc?

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Im sure Neil knows a decent piccie dressed Tuxedo style is the requirement.;)

Thats if hes after the Wedding Market at higher rates of pay:D

DeckstarDeluxe
05-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Yes indeed Alan its just getting the time at the moment with setting up the site. Should be on in a couple of weeks.

Question is if I should just wear a suit or should I have some headphones also around my neck to show Im not the waiter ;)

CRAZY K
05-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Yes indeed Alan its just getting the time at the moment with setting up the site. Should be on in a couple of weeks.

Question is if I should just wear a suit or should I have some headphones also around my neck to show Im not the waiter ;)

My personal view Neil--the market your trying to attract might well expect a Tux to start with as standard--they can always ask you to DRESS DOWN.

However I cant see anyone saying--great but can you buy a Tux for my Wedding so you look smart--cos everyone else is.:eek:

No its a lost sale before you even start( IMHO)

I seriously believe dress code is vital for Wedding DJs.

As you will realise I escape these rules as no one expects a Caller in Tux--unless its Burns Night ---which I actually try and look smart for--:)

You can always put a note under the photo--this is the DJ not the waiter:cool:

Incidentally the photo we have used with enormous success on our Website in the Western Themed Business was taken in my kitchen--you can do the same;)

but----------------------------------

Not my kitchen--yours:bang:

DeckstarDeluxe
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
noted and taken on board Alan.

If anyone wants to plan their perfect wedding you can check out the get a quote section on the site.

If you do however make sure its clear to me you are off here testing it.

Charlie Brown
05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
:bang:

Why do people use that emotion so much?

Isn't it quite aggressive? Suggests your fed up?

rob1963
05-08-2010, 05:17 PM
should I have some headphones also around my neck to show Im not the waiter ;)

No.

The heading is "Meet the DJ", not "Meet the DJ & some of his equipment"!

DeckstarDeluxe
05-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Why do people use that emotion so much?

Isn't it quite aggressive? Suggests your fed up?

Alan was just having a joke Charlie, but yes it can come across that way sometimes.

No.

The heading is "Meet the DJ", not "Meet the DJ & some of his equipment"!

Im not talking about stacks of equipment here Rob, just some headphones with the cups folded down so its not too in your face.

rob1963
05-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Im not talking about stacks of equipment here Rob, just some headphones with the cups folded down so its not too in your face.

I know what you're talking about, Neil...I just don't think the headphones are necessary. It's blatantly obvious you're the DJ due to the heading.

What is it with you & equipment?

:shrug:

Marc J
05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm pleased to say the issue I had with your home page has been sorted.

It now displays correctly on my computer with no text breakthrough, and is only about 1.5 times the height of my screen, just like all the other pages on your site.

Out of interest Rob, was it something you did or something that's since been fixed on the site?

rob1963
05-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Out of interest Rob, was it something you did or something that's since been fixed on the site?

Nothing my end, Marc, so I guess it was a problem with the site.

When you asked me about javascript, I checked & I discovered I DID already have it enabled.

I just happened to check the website a little later, and noticed that the home page was now fine.

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I seriously believe dress code is vital for Wedding DJs.

Funnily enough, this is something that I am very hot on - presentation is very important to me, but yesterday I had the mother of the bride booking a wedding with me and she insisted that the DJ was casual and not wearing a stuffy suit and looking like a penguin!

soundtracker
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Just a thought! On your Wedding Page, you have the heading, Your Perfect Wedding Disco, now based on the fact that Dan has a url of: http://www.perfectweddingdisco.co.uk/ and is just down the road from you, this may not be the best idea!

Corabar Entertainment
06-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Funnily enough, this is something that I am very hot on - presentation is very important to me, but yesterday I had the mother of the bride booking a wedding with me and she insisted that the DJ was casual and not wearing a stuffy suit and looking like a penguin!
As you know, we always give the client the option to chose what the DJ should wear. Over the last year or so, by far the most popular choice for weddings has been a suit without a tie. I think only 1 or two in the last year have chosen black tie dress, and not many more for a suit with a tie.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
As you know, we always give the client the option to chose what the DJ should wear. Over the last year or so, by far the most popular choice for weddings has been a suit without a tie. I think only 1 or two in the last year have chosen black tie dress, and not many more for a suit with a tie.

Actually that's something I never really thought of before. As the automated system is on the site I might trial a section for DJ dress code.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
As you know, we always give the client the option to chose what the DJ should wear.

We do too and as you say, things seem to be getting a lot more casual.

Corabar Entertainment
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
We do too and as you say, things seem to be getting a lot more casual.Having said that, no-one chooses 'Smart Casual' for a wedding, so that's food for thought for those DJs who say that it doesn't matter what the DJ wears so long as it's clean and tidy. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Out of interest (Know this sounds daft) but what dress code options do you give them Angela?

Corabar Entertainment
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Black Tie
Suit with tie
Suit without tie
Smart casual
Themed/Fancy Dress

Think that's it (from memory!) :)

rob1963
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
as you say, things seem to be getting a lot more casual.

If you're referring to guests at weddings, I've also noticed this.

In the last year or two, I've seen more jeans, casual shirts & polo tops than ever before, and at a recent wedding was amazed to see a woman in the shortest shorts I've ever seen. I think this is why the DJ can dress a bit more casually, while still blending in.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Right, if anyone is bored do you want to plan your perfect wedding? Or point out anything wrong with http://www.deckstardeluxe.com/pricing.php ?

Charlie Brown
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Coooool!

As Paul will confirm, I am the king of testing software like this. ;)

I like!

Spirits High
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Coooool!

I like!

Oh dear Neil, Charlie will have you at all afternoon now :D :D :D :D :D

DeckstarDeluxe
06-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Oh dear Neil, Charlie will have you at all afternoon now :D :D :D :D :D

Thats alright, rather find out now :)

Gotta save though Paul this is great if you dont mind people finding prices out on the site. Took me ages to set up all the dancefloors, backdrops etc.. but I think it will be a success :)

Coooool!

I like!

Charlie make sure you put your name down if you go all the way to the checkout so I know its you.

CRAZY K
06-08-2010, 12:14 PM

I think my original point was Darren that its easier to dress down---as you highlight in your post---than to go the other way.

Obviously you will have some people who dont want Tux.

As you know I dont do Tux ( due to my act ) however if Neil is looking to break into the higher paid end of Weddings I think he needs to project a top end image--

Interestingly we had to cover through our Agency on Tuesday a big Fashion House event in central London for 250 staff --Barn and Line dance etc.for the troops/staff.

The Disco/Agency organisation that had been appointed to organise all the entertainment approached us for specialist advice and supply of a Professional Caller and is called--------Tuxedo Class Entertainment Ltd.;)

Spirits High
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Thats alright, rather find out now :)

Gotta save though Paul this is great if you dont mind people finding prices out on the site. Took me ages to set up all the dancefloors, backdrops etc.. but I think it will be a success :)

I opted not to put the online quote part "Live" prefer to deal with each event on an individual basis (doesn't mean I make it up as I go along:D )

DeckstarDeluxe
06-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I opted not to put the online quote part "Live" prefer to deal with each event on an individual basis (doesn't mean I make it up as I go along:D )

True but like yesterday someone called me for an Ivory starcloth. I was at home but couldnt find his price file. I thought if I have it all on the site then I wont have this happean again.

We'll see how it goes.

DJMaxG
06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Having said that, no-one chooses 'Smart Casual' for a wedding, so that's food for thought for those DJs who say that it doesn't matter what the DJ wears so long as it's clean and tidy. :)

Do wedding clients mind what the DJ wears?

If the DJ turned up in a shirt and jeans, I doubt many would complain ;)