PDA

View Full Version : New site- please be nice...lol

DaveyG1980
06-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi All,

New website is up and running.

Please give any information you think is positive or negatuve to improve it.

cheers.

www.djdaveglover.co.uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-08-2010, 08:28 AM
In the about us bit, you talk about yourself in the third party and then start saying "I" did this and that and then suddenly, it's "we".

You then say "DJ Dave Glover provide professional mobile discos" (Provides?)

I don't like the tag of random images.

Colour is good though.

When you click on 'about us' at the bottom of the page, it just takes you to the top of the page?

I really think you need to reword some of it as it isn't great reading.

DaveyG1980
06-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Cheers.

My grammer is not the best but will look into this. Suppose you dont notice things unless someone has pointed it out.

Thankyou.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Cheers.

My grammer is not the best but will look into this. Suppose you dont notice things unless someone has pointed it out.

Thankyou.

I'll have another look round later and make some more comments. :)

DJMaxG
06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
I think the "random images" title gives out the wrong message really. It sort of says that you couldnt really care about the pictures, or whether they look at them or not, but that they are there if they can be bothered to look.

Having the price there is a good point (although others may disagree), as a customer can see that your services are affordable, however if I was an outsider and I read "prices starting from £275, then I would think that perhaps that was only for the first hour, and a wedding disco is likely to be much more.

Your pictures are quite good.

Having a Mobile number is okay, but a landline number would be much better :approve:

The colour scheme is spot on, nothing looks out of place, and I like how the contact details are placed at the top. They are noticable, but discreet, and easy to find.

The "your host" part says "dj", which should really be in captial letter as it is an abbreviation of "Disc Jockey".

The "pricing" page, I think the photograph is too close to the text above it, there should really be a gap in between.

DaveyG1980
06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
My plan with the pricing page is instead of having pictures of the rig, i was thinking of having maybe video samples instead not sure if this would work but worth a try just take time in getting the recording done and editing them.

Suppose i will need to look at the random images part and think of something else to put there.

Maybe i could could put "services" will be doing uplighting soon and going to try and get suppliers for dancefloors, fountains etc. Would that be a good thing to put there?

rob1963
06-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Dave,

As your home page is the most viewed & therefore the most important, I'll start with a few things I noticed on there, and will have a look at the other pages later.

On the text at the top left, the words using & professional both start with capital letters, but should start with small letters.

Further down the page, under the about us heading, the first paragraph incorrectly uses a combination of my and we (as already pointed out by Darren). In addition, the word Surrey should start with a capital letter.

In the second paragraph, you list the events you cover, but some start with capital letters & some start with small letters, so this obviously needs standardizing.

Also in the second paragraph, where it says "If you have a different event happening please call so we can discuss your requirements" the word happening should be removed as it's unnecessary. Don't ALL events which go ahead happen?

In the third paragraph, I think "We strive on providing you..." needs changing to "We strive to provide you..."

Also in the third paragraph, I'd mention the clear sound system FIRST and the fantastic lighting show SECOND rather than the other way round, as the sound system is the most important thing.

Hope this helps, but I'll try & look at more of your site & offer further advice later.

In the meantime, I do agree with Darren that you could do with some re-wording in places.

:)

DaveyG1980
06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Thankyou rob,

Going to work on the wording asap and thanks for pointing out the spelling mistakes.

I knew i should of listened at school!!!

And it does not help me being dislexic think thats how you spell it.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Thankyou rob,

Going to work on the wording asap and thanks for pointing out the spelling mistakes.

I knew i should of listened at school!!!

And it does not help me being dislexic think thats how you spell it.

I am not great myself at this sort of stuff. Robs helped draft read stuff for me before and it helps getting the site done by a professional who can pick up on this sort of stuff too. I think its a major turn off for clients.

Neil

Ecstatic Events
06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Its dyslexic! And It runs in my family...

I really like the site, alot... Looks very professional, even better if you invested in a non geographical 0845 number or fixed line number to add alongside your mobile number. Thats what I am in the process of doing.

I have nothing to add that hasnt already been said, you just need to get the grammar, punctuation and spellings bang on!

Quality effort!

DJMaxG
06-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Suppose i will need to look at the random images part and think of something else to put there.

Maybe i could could put "services" will be doing uplighting soon and going to try and get suppliers for dancefloors, fountains etc. Would that be a good thing to put there?

Yes, that would be good on the homepage ;)

Shaun
06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I've not had a read of the wording, but aesthetically from a design point of view it looks fantastic. Very professional looking. Well done.

DJWilson
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Under the 'random images' it say's Read More. Little things like that bug me an think it should be changed to View More. Also the watermarks on the larger images are no use as most people could easierly remove them.

PS when on other pages apart from home. The white tab was still showing above home, either place to each page or not have it there IMO.

Overall nice site :)

DaveyG1980
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
the white tab thing does not change due to some coding thing or software issiue something like that anyway.

i did not design the site, just sent my web designer what i wanted and magic he done it.

all the wording is mine to which i need to improve on but working on that as we speak.

Only had site up and running for couple of months and got myself 3rd page of google so slowing working my way up the ranks.

good point about the "read more" part good spot wilson. shall get that changed also.

Its shows just little things can make anyones site better and so far thanks guys for the input.

Charlie Brown
06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Love it!

Looks very nice and a great design!

Happy Jack
06-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I've not had a read of the wording, but aesthetically from a design point of view it looks fantastic. Very professional looking. Well done.
I would wholeheartedly agree. Much can be said about those looking at a DIY attempt and spending the time learning an existing CMS, and how best to incorporate and tweak the various themes and extensions to suit his or her needs.

A fantastic effort, in more ways than one. More people should take your lead, Dave.

:beer1:

Happy Jack
07-08-2010, 05:58 AM
i did not design the site, just sent my web designer what i wanted and magic he done it...

Apologies, I didn't catch this comment. Kinda detracts from my original message - I thought you'd had a go at Wordpress yourself.

:o

DJMaxG
07-08-2010, 06:51 AM
The Contact Us icon is barely visable. I have highlighted it in red

Marc J
07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Nice site, nice touch on the CoolIris (http://www.cooliris.com/) support on the gallery page, that's rare to see ;)

The contrast on the text on the right hand side (Under EVENTS) isn't too good, imho.

The "current page" indicator in the header should definitely be fixable!

DaveyG1980
07-08-2010, 01:59 PM
The Contact Us icon is barely visable. I have highlighted it in red

Wonder why that happens?

I have just tried looking at my site on 2 laptops both 15inch and on one its fine and the other i have the same problem.

Have to look into that then.

Another thing to add to my list.

thankyou.