PDA

View Full Version : Today's pre-event visit - small Tapas venue

Pazz
10-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I visited a venue today that I have a booking at later this month for a wedding. I knew exactly where the venue was as it is in my local area and I have passed it several hundred times but had never been inside. It is a very small Tapas bar - I knew it would be small before I went there today but had to see it for myself to work out what sort of setup I will need on the night.

When I got there I noticed the venue was split into 2 rooms - 1 long and not very wide area where the bar is and then a door going into the other area which was a little wider but around the same length. Not very good at measurements but I would say 1st room 60ft in length and 12ft wide and function room maybe about 15ft wide and around same length.

I was told that the disco would be in the room without the bar but when I got in there I was in shock at how small the room actually was (this will be the smallest venue I have done) and confused as to where I would setup. I asked the young bloke who owns the place who was very friendly and knew the client instantly when I said the date of the event. He said they usually only have bands who play there but a dj has setup in the small corner of the room before under a little arch. He also mentioned that it would be a busy weekend for him as the following night there were 8 bands scheduled to play there (how they could fit them all in heaven knows :confused: :confused: ). I was also concerned about parking to load/unload as the only access would be through the main entrance on one-way road with parking space limited and usually always full. The owner said he could possibly reserve a space outside the venue by parking there or I could speak with the client.

I wish I had taken a photo of the room to show you all. I'm not at all worried about me being able to provide a setup for the event (I'm thinking one T-bar, deckstand and a couple of floor lights as there is no room for anything overhead. I might struggle to put a couple of speakers on tripods - (another idea could be to take my heavy floor cabinets) but my concern is about there actually being any room for the guests! There were tables and chairs in the room today which created less space, the owner said they are thinking of using the small garden area for the guests too. I tried calling the client after my site visit but had to leave a message.

I've had a good long playlist for the night and looking forward to it as it should be an easy night with not much to setup, typical party songs and local to me. Booking form and fee received but I just want to make sure exactly what the client is looking for with it being a wedding in a Tapas bar (anyone done one of these before?) - I would have thought nothing too different to any other wedding event - I'm guessing... but I'm very curious how many guests they have invited as I'm struggling to see any space for people to dance at the moment :confused: Anyway I left a message with the client and will let you know how it goes (will also take some photos on the night).

Anyone else had a really small venue for a wedding or done a disco in a Tapas bar before?

StarZSoundS
10-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I visited a venue today that I have a booking at later this month for a wedding. I knew exactly where the venue was as it is in my local area and I have passed it several hundred times but had never been inside. It is a very small Tapas bar - I knew it would be small before I went there today but had to see it for myself to work out what sort of setup I will need on the night.

When I got there I noticed the venue was split into 2 rooms - 1 long and not very wide area where the bar is and then a door going into the other area which was a little wider but around the same length. Not very good at measurements but I would say 1st room 60ft in length and 12ft wide and function room maybe about 15ft wide and around same length.

I was told that the disco would be in the room without the bar but when I got in there I was in shock at how small the room actually was (this will be the smallest venue I have done) and confused as to where I would setup. I asked the young bloke who owns the place who was very friendly and knew the client instantly when I said the date of the event. He said they usually only have bands who play there but a dj has setup in the small corner of the room before under a little arch. He also mentioned that it would be a busy weekend for him as the following night there were 8 bands scheduled to play there (how they could fit them all in heaven knows :confused: :confused: ). I was also concerned about parking to load/unload as the only access would be through the main entrance on one-way road with parking space limited and usually always full. The owner said he could possibly reserve a space outside the venue by parking there or I could speak with the client.

I wish I had taken a photo of the room to show you all. I'm not at all worried about me being able to provide a setup for the event (I'm thinking one T-bar, deckstand and a couple of floor lights as there is no room for anything overhead. I might struggle to put a couple of speakers on tripods - (another idea could be to take my heavy floor cabinets) but my concern is about there actually being any room for the guests! There were tables and chairs in the room today which created less space, the owner said they are thinking of using the small garden area for the guests too. I tried calling the client after my site visit but had to leave a message.

I've had a good long playlist for the night and looking forward to it as it should be an easy night with not much to setup, typical party songs and local to me. Booking form and fee received but I just want to make sure exactly what the client is looking for with it being a wedding in a Tapas bar (anyone done one of these before?) - I would have thought nothing too different to any other wedding event - I'm guessing... but I'm very curious how many guests they have invited as I'm struggling to see any space for people to dance at the moment :confused: Anyway I left a message with the client and will let you know how it goes (will also take some photos on the night).

Anyone else had a really small venue for a wedding or done a disco in a Tapas bar before?

Sounds like heaven to me......

A small room just big enough to contain all the things I love.....

Food
Beer
Great Music

and................

ME!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

simon1969
10-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Yes not for a wedding though, a birthday, it was the Robin Hood pub in Jarrow North East of country anyone from that neck of woods will know how small the function room is.
Thing is I should have checked venue 1st (learned from that) there wasn't even a dancefloor!!!
The night went o.k. (not one of the best nights i've done) but everyone had a good night.
Might mean more effort on your part, but I would phone client and tell them you have visited the venue and tell them your concerns...
Hope that is of some help....

simon1969
16-08-2010, 02:14 PM
How did you go on with this was it worth the worry? :)

huma
16-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I've done a party in a small room before and just used one speaker, 1 laptop, a mixer a T Bar with 3 Lights . It looked a but odd but the bride and groom were great-full for the extra room. So all in all it turned out okay.