PDA

View Full Version : DJ Influences

ian8limelight
19-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Which DJ('s) has had the most influence on your life/music/DJ'ing ? And why ?

He/she could be from radio/club/mobile/anywhere ........ but not yourself !!

Corabar Steve
19-07-2006, 04:25 PM
John Peel, one of the few people with a broader taste in music than me.

Krusher & Tommy Vance, Rock's TOP DJs ever!

ian8limelight
19-07-2006, 04:33 PM
John Peel, one of the few people with a broader taste in music than me.

Krusher & Tommy Vance, Rock's TOP DJs ever!

I guessed that JP & TV would appear in your list, but I've never heard of Krusher.

For me - Greg Edwards, Robbie Vincent, Froggy, Peter Young in the main. The tracks they played (and still do in some cases) had a heavy influence on my musical tastes.

dj andy allwood
19-07-2006, 04:33 PM
R.I.P - John Peel - should be Sir John Peel.

i have to say my fav. dance dj is Fatboy Slim for his energy and his brilliant mixing and just the records he plays at the right time he can really read a crowd!!!

Corabar Steve
19-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I guessed that JP & TV would appear in your list, but I've never heard of Krusher.
He was resident DJ for the Rock nights at he Hippodrome & the Astoria amongst others. Also GLR rock show, late 80's early 90's

ian8limelight
19-07-2006, 04:44 PM
He was resident DJ for the Rock nights at he Hippodrome & the Astoria amongst others. Also GLR rock show, late 80's early 90's

Thank you. :teeth:

Have a disco
19-07-2006, 05:53 PM
pete tong followed closely by kenny everitt and Noel Edmunds think that says all really Im a mixture of all three

I wish to be seen to educate people of the new tunes but still get away with playing the silly stuff to

st1ngo
19-07-2006, 06:08 PM
wolfie has always been my inspiration..........................

A1DL
19-07-2006, 08:02 PM
ROFLMAO Stingo :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2006, 08:36 PM
For me - Greg Edwards, Robbie Vincent, Froggy, Peter Young in the main. The tracks they played (and still do in some cases) had a heavy influence on my musical tastes.

I warmed up for Robbie Vincent once - he played some great tunes, but he was an arrogant so and so.

When we get to meet again Ian, I look forward to talking to you about some of those old tunes! :) :beer:

ian8limelight
19-07-2006, 09:55 PM
wolfie has always been my inspiration..........................

Why's that then St1ngo ?

BeerFunk
19-07-2006, 09:59 PM
i have to say my fav. dance dj is Fatboy Slim for his energy and his brilliant mixing and just the records he plays at the right time he can really read a crowd!!!
You beat me to it!

He doesnt take himself too seriously, and plays crackin tunes which are meant for the dancefloor!

Also Tall Paul, Erick Morillo, Roger Sanchez, Chemical Brothers and Jon Carter

dj andy allwood
20-07-2006, 03:16 PM
You beat me to it!

He doesnt take himself too seriously, and plays crackin tunes which are meant for the dancefloor!

Also Tall Paul, Erick Morillo, Roger Sanchez, Chemical Brothers and Jon Carter

i saw Tall Paul a few years back at the newcastle arena and my god he is definitly one of the best!!!!!!

st1ngo
20-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Why's that then St1ngo ?

When I saw the ropelights being used it was like a whole new world had opened up in front of me ..............it was at that point I knew I had to DJ

paull
20-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Chris Hill, Rusty Egan (visage and Camden Palace), Robbie Vincent and Fat boy Slim

Chris Hill- excellent music and had an almost menacing presence
Rusty Egan- played a real eclectic set was right there at the begining of new romantics and elcetronis music
Robbie Vincent- Brought jazz and the likes of Nina Samone to the dance floor
Fat Boy Slim- take a look at the DVD of his set on brighton beach!!!!

ian8limelight
20-07-2006, 05:17 PM
When I saw the ropelights being used it was like a whole new world had opened up in front of me ..............it was at that point I knew I had to DJ

Thanks for that.

st1ngo
20-07-2006, 05:18 PM
you asked...........

ian8limelight
20-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Indeed I did. I was interested in knowing why people felt that the DJ(s) they mentioned were an influence on them and how. It sounds that yours was more of a lighting thing than a musical thing.

st1ngo
20-07-2006, 06:22 PM
oh it was ............
the rope light really did it for me !

Corabar Steve
20-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Chris Hill, Rusty Egan (visage and Camden Palace), Robbie Vincent and Fat boy Slim

Rusty Egan- played a real eclectic set was right there at the begining of new romantics and elcetronis music
& he was briefly in the first band I ever saw play live - the Skids

summer sounds
21-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Without doubt Smashy and Nicey....

Candybeatdiscos
21-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Tom Wilson - the godfather of old skool music in Scotland, RIP Tom, he showed me how to mix in the basement of Radio Forth and was a genuine guy, he was the best and has so much respect from everybody. God has definetly booked the two best DJ's for his own gig in Tom & John Peel.

soundtracker
21-07-2006, 07:29 AM
& he was briefly in the first band I ever saw play live - the Skids
There's you at a Skids Gig, and the Skids at one of mine. If you have a look at http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/skidsintothevalley.htm You'll see Jobson wearing a yellow track-suit, which caused a scrap at one of my gigs. A Local wally known as "Lewie" approached Jobson and said "You look like a ****ing banana!" and it all kicked off!
They were at Rockfield Studios at the time recording (I think) Yankee Dollar, although the memory is a little sketchy!
So does that mean you're influenced by me Steve? :teeth: