PDA

View Full Version : Website Review please

Big Mix Mobile Disco
12-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi guys & gals,

Its been almost 6 months since the start of my website venture and I'm looking for some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism please ...

Other than my clients I thought it would be good to ask other DJs what they thought ... but try and be professional in your comments ... no bad mouthing please :)

We are all trying to give DJs a better name and I'm trying to be as professional and "above-board" as I can be. Your thoughts are welcome.

My website address is in my signature strip :D

Thanks Darren

DJWilson
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM
I personally think it look's quite dated, the early years of websites and the pages seem to go on forever to scroll.

rob1963
12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I tend to agree with DJWilson.

Also, your site says "Public Liability Insurance is a LEGAL requirement for any business"

Are you sure about that?

ppentertainments
12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Just had a quick flick, looks neat and tidy, but I find it full of false promises and you highlight 'negativities' all the time.

False Promises - You'll Have The Night Of Your Life and That's A Promise!!, guaranteed to set your party alight .
How can you guarantee this ???

Negativities - So what differentiates my mobile disco service from the cash-in-hand, beer-money DJs?
Can you afford to ruin your party with a cheap DJ?
Concentrate on what you are good at, don't mention less superior services as much.

I like the layout, clean and simple, but your site seems to have too much 'general' advice about booking discos as opposed to concentrating on what YOU provide.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
12-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Also, your site says "Public Liability Insurance is a LEGAL requirement for any business"

Are you sure about that?

Found out today its not :o that will be changed.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
12-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Just had a quick flick, looks neat and tidy, but I find it full of false promises and you highlight 'negativities' all the time.

False Promises - You'll Have The Night Of Your Life and That's A Promise!!, guaranteed to set your party alight .
How can you guarantee this ???

Negativities - So what differentiates my mobile disco service from the cash-in-hand, beer-money DJs?
Can you afford to ruin your party with a cheap DJ?
Concentrate on what you are good at, don't mention less superior services as much.

I like the layout, clean and simple, but your site seems to have too much 'general' advice about booking discos as opposed to concentrating on what YOU provide.

Thank you for your feedback much appreciated.

simon1969
12-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Are you sure about that?

It will be in the future though Rob as more venues insist on this he just needs to change the wording.

Had a peek there is a lot of information on there you could do with compacting it a little.
I liked the tips page your customers will find that useful,your package page needs changing only one link for weddings.
Whats your usp why should people come to you, what do you provide other people don't??
But the website is easy to navigate and clear.... :) :)

Corabar Entertainment
12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
It will be in the future though Rob as more venues insist on this he just needs to change the wordingEven if every venue in the country asked for it, it still wouldn't make it a legal requirement.

rob1963
12-08-2010, 06:34 PM
It will be in the future though Rob as more venues insist on this

Even if every venue in the country asked for it, it still wouldn't make it a legal requirement.

Indeed.

:confused:

Alex
12-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Darren,

I have to admit I agree with the " dated look " comment.... It's very 1999 website style.

Can I ask how you built it ?? Was it by scratch or using a base template? Or a CMS or whatever??

Have you considered moving over to WordPress or Joomla?
These are much easier to use than coding everything...... and it's like using a word processor.

I've created quite a few sites using Joomla :

* Kids Entertainer Site (http://www.magicportsmouth.co.uk)
* My Website (http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk)
* A DJ Client Site I created (http://www.sp-southampton.co.uk)
* My Web Design Shop Template (http://www.alexsdesign.co.uk/shop)

These are just a few to give you an idea......

You can get joomla from here : www.joomla.org
And wordpress from here : www.wordpress.com

There are others out there but they are not as popular and don't have as many extensions and addons.

With regards to content, I feel you have FAR too many menu options on the front page.
Try breaking them up into sub menus....makes it easier to digest.

Just my quick view opinion :)

Chris1984
12-08-2010, 08:25 PM
i too can vouch for joomla as a quick and easy way of doing it - one i knocked together - http://www.scout4x4.co.uk

simon1969
12-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Even if every venue in the country asked for it, it still wouldn't make it a legal requirement.

Maybe not but if you had a choice of somebody who has PLI and someone who doesn't I know who I would choose!!

Should have explained myself better sorry I meant, he could use that as a selling point and say people have PLI because etc etc;

:) :)

Pe7e
12-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Maybe not but if you had a choice of somebody who has PLI and someone who doesn't I know who I would choose!!

Personally I'd choose the one who could put on a decent show, and actually entertain my guests, wether or not they had PLI, PAT, Pro Dub or a CRB check, is a very long way down my, and most clients list of priorities.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Safety of your guests and insurance is a long way down your list of priorities?

Interesting.

DJWilson
12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Personally I'd choose the one who could put on a decent show, and actually entertain my guests, wether or not they had PLI, PAT, Pro Dub or a CRB check, is a very long way down my, and most clients list of priorities.

Safety of your guests and insurance is a long way down your list of priorities?

Interesting.

He didn't say safety.

At the end of the day PLI or no PLI doesn't make your disco, guests anymore safer...

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-08-2010, 09:34 PM
He didn't say safety.

At the end of the day PLI or no PLI doesn't make your disco, guests anymore safer...

The wisdom of a 17 year old.

Just what I need.

DJWilson
12-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Just what I need.

Everyone's entitled to there own take on thing's and just like everyone else I have my own equal right.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Everyone's entitled to there own take on thing's and just like everyone else I have my own equal right.

I didn't day PLI make the client safer.

You are talking out of your backside.

Excalibur
12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
He didn't say safety.

Just what I need.
Well there's a 55 year old here who was sorely tempted to post the same thing, but decided discretion and all that............;) :D :D

Technically, theoretically and semantically it's correct. In practice, it's wrong. How's that?

DJWilson
12-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I didn't day PLI make the client safer.

You are talking out of your backside.

You said safety was a long way down his list when he never even mentioned safety. All he mentioned was PLI, PAT, Produb etc

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-08-2010, 09:42 PM
You said safety was a long way down his list when he never even mentioned safety. All he mentioned was PLI, PAT, Produb etc

I think you need to go and read up about portable appliance testing and safety of equipment.
:bang:

Excalibur
12-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Errr, I'd guess Darren will point out that anyone without the necesary insurances etc, is unlikely to have thought seriously about client safety.

Unless they're following the teachings of Nigel . ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Vectis
12-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Darren

I've not had chance to dig deeper than the index page.

Visually it's better than many, but I tend to agree with the 'dated' comments earlier on. In particular the narrow width, colour palette and the rollover effects on the menu pull it down.

I presume you've not considered the various 'heatmap' studies - because if you had, you would have laid out the top half of the page better and made your contact details very prominent indeed.

IMHO get rid of the "Subscribe to this site" box - no-one but your mum and a couple of mates are ever going to do this. Where it's positioned is prime screen real estate. If you must have it, drop it much further down the page or onto the Contact page.

There is way too much content on the page - as a prospective customer I'd probably not get any further than the first para. Try to keep the scrolling to a minimum - ideally no more than 2 'pages' deep on a typical browser BUT keep everything you want every single visitor to definitely have a chance of seeing within the top half of page 1.

I understand your intention in respect of keywords but don't make the opening paragraph so :Censored: tediously boring!! Lists don't make good reading.

I agree with what's been said about false promises.

I agree with what's been said about negative advertising. Don't bang on about what's bad about others, bang on about what's good about Big Mix.

Technically, there's a lot I don't like about the way that the site is constructed, but I guess to some degree you're constrained by the 'Site Build It' package - although I've never come across this one.

Examples include use of tables when there's absolutely no need to; CSS embedded in the actual HTML pages - meaning lots of repetition and keyword dilution through unnecessary content being pulled each time; comment lines in production code (again adding to bloat).

I ran the index page through the W3C validator and it errors spectacularly. This won't help cross-browser compatibility or futureproofing of the site code.

That's just the 5 minute version. Hope this helps ;)

paulg
13-08-2010, 12:24 PM
The first line about 'setting your party alight' made me think more of flames and screaming.

It reminded me why PAT and PLI is so important.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
13-08-2010, 01:44 PM
The first line about 'setting your party alight' made me think more of flames and screaming.

It reminded me why PAT and PLI is so important.

It's a similie :) no need to take it literally

CRAZY K
13-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Should have explained myself better sorry I meant, he could use that as a selling point and say people have PLI because etc etc;

So when was the last time someone phoned up and said --of course I expect you to have PLI.

Dream on:D

Also a lot of punters dont give a :Censored: im afraid and go for the cheapest.

A sad relection of our society---luckily a few out there still:) care

DeckstarDeluxe
13-08-2010, 01:48 PM
For myself I think there is way to much text going on there and on my screen its pretty narrow too which doesn't help.

On my site you shouldn't have to scroll down at all.

There's a saying KISS (Keep it simple stupid) I think its very relevant to websites.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
13-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Thank you all for your opinions, I perhaps should have stated that I to feel the width of the page is to short, this is being developed as we speak.

CRAZY K
13-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi guys & gals,

Its been almost 6 months since the start of my website venture and I'm looking for some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism please ...

Other than my clients I thought it would be good to ask other DJs what they thought ... but try and be professional in your comments ... no bad mouthing please :)

We are all trying to give DJs a better name and I'm trying to be as professional and "above-board" as I can be. Your thoughts are welcome.

My website address is in my signature strip :D

Thanks Darren

I agree with others, I would drop the catchy music starts etc in practice a lot of people sit at their tables unable to move---its called apathy and is found in many people attending Weddings as I found last week--unfortunately the music DOESNT do the talking.

Its the DJ who has to do the talking;)

Enough of that.

I dont find the style out dated--probably cos im outdated myself.;)

Might matter to younger readers:confused:

My only point would be the Music choice and I would highlight the client can choose their own playlist ( presumably) which is a postive feature ( waits for barrage of complaints)

As for Dance the Night Away being top of the Dance Floor faves--in my case as a Country DJ perfectly true---but for younger audiences I would have thought it might be some excruciatingly horrible Rn B track---arent they all to my ears--but maybe this indicates an older age group target market.

Theres no doubt you can influence or put people off according to THEIR perception of the kind of music you play and this a KEY factor in getting new business.

Obviously you need to clearly identify markets you wish to work in--probably its difficult if you cover everything.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
13-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree with others, I would drop the catchy music starts etc in practice a lot of people sit at their tables unable to move---its called apathy and is found in many people attending Weddings as I found last week--unfortunately the music DOESNT do the talking.

Its the DJ who has to do the talking;)

Enough of that.

I dont find the style out dated--probably cos im outdated myself.;)

Might matter to younger readers:confused:

My only point would be the Music choice and I would highlight the client can choose their own playlist ( presumably) which is a postive feature ( waits for barrage of complaints)

As for Dance the Night Away being top of the Dance Floor faves--in my case as a Country DJ perfectly true---but for younger audiences I would have thought it might be some excruciatingly horrible Rn B track---arent they all to my ears--but maybe this indicates an older age group target market.

Theres no doubt you can influence or put people off according to THEIR perception of the kind of music you play and this a KEY factor in getting new business.

Obviously you need to clearly identify markets you wish to work in--probably its difficult if you cover everything.

Thank you for your comments - the music lists are in no particular order :) this is stated on the page lol

Big Mix Mobile Disco
06-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Some Changes now made, even more exciting and fresh.

Jason
07-11-2010, 12:25 AM

Still showing PLI as a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. Mis-information is a very bad thing to put on your site. I've read this has been pointed out previously to you, yet you've decided to leave it there?
http://www.bigmix-mobiledisco.com/mobile-disco-safety.html

Clients really won't care about this stuff until there is a problem. Simply listing the level of cover, and that your gear is electrically tested for safety should be enough.

Layout is important, and I think the RSS/Google/MSN etc box really needs to be UNDER the menu... This box is taking up lots of spare - and on this netbook, I can't see all the menu.

There isn't much consistency on colours, the (orange) menu is totally different to the client login menus on the right (yellow)

Very...very... long homepage. No one will really read that.
Personally, stick to what you offer, availability check and that's it. Not many clients will really know of NADJ (you've got their logo twice). I'm a SEDA member and don't list this on my homepage, but if you think this type of badge is important, then link to its own page on your site and explain why.

I also think the comment about "glass of wine" is well intended and perhaps tongue in cheek, but probably best left out.

Also loose the stock photo on the homepage, and consider a nice shot of yourself?

Jason

Corabar Steve
07-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Still showing PLI as a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. Mis-information is a very bad thing to put on your site. I've read this has been pointed out previously to you, yet you've decided to leave it there?
http://www.bigmix-mobiledisco.com/mobile-disco-safety.html
Neither is PAT testing.

Negative selling is not the way to go.

Don't even get me started on the crap about multi-ops in point 6 on the booking & hiring tips page.

The about Big Mix page makes it sound like you started a company with a similar name to a company you used to work for. Sounds like "passing off" to me.

Mark Wild
07-11-2010, 02:13 AM

"Not to mention a large number of marquees that I have also performed in, which often offered the added bonus of a freshly cooked "spit roast" - and let me tell you, the pork tastes great. (My sincere apologies to those of you reading this who are vegetarians!)"

LOL ! :daft:

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Neither is PAT testing.

Don't even get me started on the crap about multi-ops in point 6 on the booking & hiring tips page.

The about Big Mix page makes it sound like you started a company with a similar name to a company you used to work for. Sounds like "passing off" to me.

Sounds like passing off?? :confused:

We are all entitled to our opinions to your point about my tip no 6, it clearly states its good to speak to the DJ who is going to be performing for you, I think this is a valid statement.

funkymook
07-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm really not sure about the tips for hiring a DJ page.

I'd expect to see an article like that on a wedding site, along with other general advice on hiring services.

Surely you really don't want your prospective clients to print out your article and use it to check other DJ sites? If you do, that's very altruistic of you! Or perhaps you're extremely confident that they won't come across any other DJ site that covers all the points in the check-list (lots do though of course).

If it were rewritten with a more 'this is what we consider is good service and this is what we do' style (avoiding negative comments about other DJ sites of course) you could still cover the same points but really put across how well you do them them and now they've found you there's no reason for them to look elsewhere.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm really not sure about the tips for hiring a DJ page.

I'd expect to see an article like that on a wedding site, along with other general advice on hiring services.

Surely you really don't want your prospective clients to print out your article and use it to check other DJ sites? If you do, that's very altruistic of you! Or perhaps you're extremely confident that they won't come across any other DJ site that covers all the points in the check-list (lots do though of course).

If it were rewritten with a more 'this is what we consider is good service and this is what we do' style (avoiding negative comments about other DJ sites of course) you could still cover the same points but really put across how well you do them them and now they've found you there's no reason for them to look elsewhere.

You make a valid point there, I'll have to take a look at it when I have a little more time and see what I can do.

Thanks

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
"Not to mention a large number of marquees that I have also performed in, which often offered the added bonus of a freshly cooked "spit roast" - and let me tell you, the pork tastes great. (My sincere apologies to those of you reading this who are vegetarians!)"

LOL ! :daft:

It's nice to have a little personality :p

Jason
07-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Neither is PAT testing.

Agree with all you say, but PAT is probably "closer" being a legal requirement.
(I do have experience in PAT, dating back to early 90's when it first came out).

Not a legal requirement, but the DJ does have a legal responsibly to ensure the gear is safe - PAT meets these needs.

Either way - negative selling really isn't the way to look good.
Back to the good old M&S vs Tesco...
You won't find M&S spreading mis-information over Tesco on their websites.

Corabar Entertainment
07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Not a legal requirement, but the DJ does have a legal responsibly to ensure the gear is safe - PAT meets these needs.
Point of order, Sir!

...PAT goes part-way to meet these needs :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
07-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Sounds like passing off?? :confused: Google it

We are all entitled to our opinions to your point about my tip no 6, it clearly states its good to speak to the DJ who is going to be performing for you, I think this is a valid statement.Maybe, maybe not. Your inference is that larger companies won't let you have the DJ best suited to your gig. WE always match the gig to the DJ best suited to it. Many times the client couldn't care less who they have or if they talk to them prior to the event. In one instance we asked if a client wanted to speak to the DJ beforehand, the answer was "No, I'm sure you'll pick the right one for us". Point 6 is ill informed nonsense.

It's nice to have a little personality :pI have to say if I was considering booking you & then came across the comment that you are referring to on your website (the hog roast one in case you;d forgotten) I would look elsewhere. I'm not having the hired help eating the buffet.

Agree with all you say, but PAT is probably "closer" being a legal requirement.
(I do have experience in PAT, dating back to early 90's when it first came out).

Not a legal requirement, but the DJ does have a legal responsibly to ensure the gear is safe - PAT meets these needs..
Ever heard the phrase "teaching granny to suck eggs":sj::sj:

Jason
07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Google it

Plenty of times :-)

Mostly online...

Corabar Steve
07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/sign-smiley-438.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Jason
07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Sounds like passing off?? :confused:

I can find a very similar sounding disco very close to you (40 miles in fact), with a very similar domain name.

It actually looks like your domain was registered before the other company, but still needs looking at from your end to avoid confusion.

Clients could find the other company, and with 2 companies in local area with similar names will have problems from both ends.

I can see your domain(s) was registered in Jan/Feb 201, whereas the other company was end June 2010.

Very little you can do about it to be honest if both companies did not exist prior to the domain reg and you're both sole traders.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I can find a very similar sounding disco very close to you (40 miles in fact), with a very similar domain name.

It actually looks like your domain was registered before the other company, but still needs looking at from your end to avoid confusion.

Clients could find the other company, and with 2 companies in local area with similar names will have problems from both ends.

I can see your domain(s) was registered in Jan/Feb 201, whereas the other company was end June 2010.

Very little you can do about it to be honest if both companies did not exist prior to the domain reg and you're both sole traders.

I did make a point about this in a prior thread, I wasn't amused in the slightest to find that company had nicked a name close to mine.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
08-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Google it
Maybe, maybe not. Your inference is that larger companies won't let you have the DJ best suited to your gig. WE always match the gig to the DJ best suited to it. Many times the client couldn't care less who they have or if they talk to them prior to the event. In one instance we asked if a client wanted to speak to the DJ beforehand, the answer was "No, I'm sure you'll pick the right one for us". Point 6 is ill informed nonsense.
I have to say if I was considering booking you & then came across the comment that you are referring to on your website (the hog roast one in case you;d forgotten) I would look elsewhere. I'm not having the hired help eating the buffet.

Why is everyone so touchy on this forum?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Why is everyone so touchy on this forum?

I don't think people are and comments like that certainly won't help.

Steve made very good points in his post, most of which I agreed with. I don't see that as being touchy.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
08-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Passing Off:

Big Mix Entertainment was a company I worked for, the company re-started as I approached the owner. We worked together.

Big Mix Entertainment is no longer trading, I know this because I stopped working for the owner as he moved away, I speak with him now and again.

No law breaks here I'm afraid.

Corabar Entertainment
08-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Passing Off:

Big Mix Entertainment was a company I worked for, the company re-started as I approached the owner. We worked together.

Big Mix Entertainment is no longer trading, I know this because I stopped working for the owner as he moved away, I speak with him now and again.

No law breaks here I'm afraid.Darren, re-read Steve's original post. He wasn't accusing you of passing off, he said that the way you had worded it gave that impression to him..... obviously something you wouldn't want any prospective customer thinking!

Big Mix Mobile Disco
08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't think people are and comments like that certainly won't help.

Steve made very good points in his post, most of which I agreed with. I don't see that as being touchy.

I'm here to try and make friends and form business relations, I'm honestly not here to rub people up the wrong way, so ...

I have removed Tip No 6 and I am re-wording about PAT and PLI.

Hope that helps.

Darren

And thanks for clearing that up, I think I need to chill a little - my apologies to all :sorry: