PDA

View Full Version : Following onto next track

Thames Valley Discos
19-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Do others tend to play sets. i.e work from say the 60,s through 70,s upto current music. Or do you mix and match era,s?

ian8limelight
19-07-2006, 10:23 PM
For me, Mix and match. Play a couple of tracks from from 80's, then Current, 70's, etc, etc but it does depend on the function and what the client does/doesn't want.

dj_ags
19-07-2006, 10:24 PM
We try to play sets of music from different eras but not in numerical order of the decades.

However, we have had times where this has gone out of the window and we have mixed the eras up...it just depends on the crowd and function in hand i suppose.

Thames Valley Discos
19-07-2006, 10:27 PM
i tend to find later on in the evening, people seem to be wanting more dancy music, so have tended to get the 60,s 70,s music played earley on.

dj_ags
19-07-2006, 10:32 PM
i tend to find later on in the evening, people seem to be wanting more dancy music, so have tended to get the 60,s 70,s music played earley on.

Yes, thats the same as us really :)

We try to play current music at the start, including some 90s, 80s and 70s music before the buffet. We then kick off after the buffet with the motown amd 60s soul (get it out of the way), then going into some "cheesy" party while they are up. We then revert back to the decades of 70s, 80s and 90s, playing the more classic and dancable songs from these eras until playing dance music for the last half an hour before the slows.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I tend to go backwards with at 2-4 songs from each decade to have a bit of continuity on the dance floor, and I love to link each decade too, rather than go from one thing to something completely different.

Thames Valley Discos
19-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I tend to go backwards with at 2-4 songs from each decade .
? You mean start with dancy stuff then end up playing sinatra?

Have a disco
19-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I normally start with the genre hunting, to see what moves them, then progress to 80's and work my way backwards then play buffet music ie stars on 45. Then come back with 70's disco working my way forward to current stuff. then bang back into party stuff by then if you aint got anyone dancing. I will resort back to a genre hunt that worked earlier of course requests being play asap between theyre alloted section. and finally finish with more party and a little rock set before the goodnight finale music. 4 hours of as much music I can play as possible, all depends on type of night really. normally I run out of time so It becomes a fight to end the night

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2006, 11:03 PM
? You mean start with dancy stuff then end up playing sinatra?

No, I generally start with a couple of well known charty type tunes, and then do a couple from each era. Obviously this depends on the function though.

Retro
23-07-2006, 01:16 AM
recently tried playing 2 decades together, ie 1 70s track, then 1 80s, about 3 times then 1 80s & 1 90s etc etc, seems to be working well for us, exceptions are the cheesy party stuff, soul etc where we play short sets

Danno13
23-07-2006, 01:21 AM
I tend to stick to the same genres most of the time.. not necessarily decades though as there are similar types of tracks that come into different decade groups... i mainly find this with the disco/funk stuff where its straddled between 70s and 80s so you can't be too picky!

Always go for 3-4 of the same style before moving to something different except for when its a narrow age range, where i'll have much longer sets of genres...