PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Criticism Very Welcome.

Steve Cheese
20-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Here is my latest attempt at a DIY website. It is my first dabble with CSS.
All constructive criticism very welcome on all aspects of the coding and general design.
I'm not really after long discussions on the content as I'm still playing with the wording and have more photos and better video yet to add.

Cheers.

www.musicdelights.co.uk

Steve

DJMaxG
20-08-2010, 03:20 AM
The price is published :

That allows the customer to clearly see it, which saves phone calls, and if they can`t afford you, they know straight away :approve:

simon1969
20-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Really good site fella !!
Concise easy, to navigate, and prices too!!!
For a d.i.y site it's excellent!!!:cool:

Shakermaker Promotions
20-08-2010, 04:04 PM
It does what it's supposed to do so good stuff.
I did notice however that if you are on the galleries page and watching the videos and then click on 'Quote', you can't see the enquiry form because it is obscured by the video which stays on the same page.

Rowleys
20-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Nice site and like the prices on the site as well.

I'm trying to make a instant quote page

Paul The Party Dj
20-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Steve, the one thing I really don't like is your photo - I'm older and not as good looking as you - so I'm not having a go I promise - I just think the blue image does you no favours whatsoever. I know you've been using it for a while - but I'd use a 'real colours' image.
Sent with love, Paul ;o)

DJMaxG
20-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm trying to make a instant quote page

Are you doing that via a series of links and pages, or "DJ Event Planner"?

funksoulbrother
20-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Steve, overall I like your site, are you going to put any details on about you, reinforcing your experience and how long you've been djing.

Not sure if it's my browser but the logo for NADJ is showing as partially being off the righthand side of the page.

Otherwise, in the great words of Borat, "is nice". :)

Rowleys
20-08-2010, 07:10 PM

i have just made a page with some java coming on but i would like to smart it up so it has the drop down times.

http://rowleysdiscos.co.uk/instant.php

i made it work out like £40 an hour for disco & 5 extra an hour for karaoke

Hope this helps

Corabar Entertainment
20-08-2010, 08:53 PM

i have just made a page with some java coming on but i would like to smart it up so it has the drop down times.

http://rowleysdiscos.co.uk/instant.php

i made it work out like £40 an hour for disco & 5 extra an hour for karaoke

Hope this helps

:offtopic:

:no:

Please do not derail someone else's thread! If you want to discuss this, please start a new thread in the relevant section, chaps

Steve Cheese
20-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Cheers chaps,

Yes, big decision, prices or no prices? I decided to give 'guide' prices for 'common scenarios'.

I did notice however that if you are on the galleries page and watching the videos and then click on 'Quote', you can't see the enquiry form because it is obscured by the video which stays on the same page.
I could not reproduce that in Firefox. But out of curiosity I tried it in IE and it happened! The video floats over the top of the pop up quote form! How bizarre!
Does anyone know how I can fix this? I am using Jotform.com

Steve, the one thing I really don't like is your photo
Yes I think I agree. I was preparing the full colour photo in Photoshop, just playing with the pre-sets, and that just happened by accident really. I thought that it looked good at the time. But in hindsight, I think that you are right.

Not sure if it's my browser but the logo for NADJ is showing as partially being off the righthand side of the page.
I have managed to see that problem in IE7. How strange. It is set in the code exactly the same as the other images in that column.
EI8 and Firefox and Chrome all display it fine.

Vectis
20-08-2010, 11:48 PM
I could not reproduce that in Firefox. But out of curiosity I tried it in IE and it happened! The video floats over the top of the pop up quote form! How bizarre!

I have managed to see that problem in IE7. How strange. It is set in the code exactly the same as the other images in that column.
EI8 and Firefox and Chrome all display it fine.

I'd suggest that before you get into a heavy bout of debugging, you get the page to validate. You might just find that a lot of placement type issues magically disappear...

The non-framed index page for example was throwing 26 errors & 5 warnings when I looked:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.musicdelights.20m.com%2 Findex.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Charlie Brown
21-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I like design. I wouldn't choose it personally but it's nice.

I'm glad Martin popped the prices on my site - it avoids time wasters.

Marc J
23-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Add wmode="transparent" to the Youtube code. See Youtube video shows through lightbox in IE (http://www.welovecss.com/showthread.php?t=5089)

Steve Cheese
23-08-2010, 02:51 PM
OK, cheers, I'll have a go at that.

Steve Cheese
07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes, that fixed it, cheers.

rob1963
07-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm glad Martin popped the prices on my site - it avoids time wasters.

That's just ONE of the advantages of having prices on your site.