PDA

View Full Version : DB Technologies - Didn't know this!

Shakermaker Promotions
20-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

Just a quickie (yes, from me....hard to believe!).

Put my DB Technologies Actives in for repair/service on monday and have just picked them up. I mentioned ages ago that there seemed to be a problem with them and it was the resistors and some dry joints apparently aswell as something (can't remember what he said) coming loose.

Anyway, the guy who repaired them said he was very impressed with the sound (they don't have EQ's) and said that they had RCF drivers in them. I don't know much about other speakers but I hear that RCF are held in high regard by a lot of people on here.

Question - Does that mean that DB Technologies are just RCF in a different clothing or a budget range?

We tested them before I took them away and they are back to their best - Almost like having new speakers! :)

yourdj
20-08-2010, 10:00 AM
He might have meant they have the same kind of neoidium (spelt wrong) drivers perhaps? pERHAPS rcf get thier drivers produced in the same place and they are just rebranded to suit?

TONYTIGER
20-08-2010, 10:52 AM
He might have meant they have the same kind of neoidium (spelt wrong) drivers perhaps? pERHAPS rcf get thier drivers produced in the same place and they are just rebranded to suit?

The drivers in the early db subs are made by RCF Italy they produce them there selves db rebadge them .

To clarify RCF are one of the largest manufactures of drivers in there own factory other brands re badge them.
Mackie used to be RCF but then split hence the crap drivers in Mackies now.

spin mobile disco
20-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Yep rcf and mackie use most of the same components infact the older series where all build in the same factory as the rcf's. They used to be past of the same managment group years ago as well untill they were seperated. And yes my 402's have rcf drivers in they have the same part number.

paulg
20-08-2010, 12:00 PM
You can't really say without asking the manufacturer and it's not fair on Db to speculate.

I've two RCF 4PRO 8003a's coming from Italy next week. Couldn't care where they were made so long a they go boom boom thud thud and they don't break down or set on fire. Can't wait. Having to sell my beloved HK2000 system to pay for one of them though.:(

Shakermaker Promotions
20-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Same as!
I don't care where they are made or what they are, they just sound very nice!
I remember when I bought them. It was a choice between the DB's and some Mackies. The Mackies were a lot more expensive and had EQ on the back, the DB's didn't but the sound on the DB's was very nice and in my opinion, better than the Mackies. I asked why the DB's didn't have EQ and the guy said "Because the guys at DB Technologies have set them up just right". I had the budget for the Mackies but went with the DB's instead.

The guys who repaired my DB's supply sound and light to some very large venues and a lot of festivals (they just did the Bulldog Bash) and the guy in charge said to me this morning "You've got some lovely little speakers there mate".

TONYTIGER
20-08-2010, 01:07 PM
You can't really say without asking the manufacturer and it's not fair on Db to speculate.

I've two RCF 4PRO 8003a's coming from Italy next week. Couldn't care where they were made so long a they go boom boom thud thud and they don't break down or set on fire. Can't wait. Having to sell my beloved HK2000 system to pay for one of them though.:(

What point are you trying to make ? Who,s speculating we sell the stuff so we tend to look under the bonnet.The original post and following post is for members info which is the great thing about this forum so dont knock it.

Twinspin
20-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Im sure you wont be dissapointed with the RCF's Paul especially the 4PRO's
which are great ive heard them. I use the ARTs myself with the matching subs and they sound very good alone.

boom and thud.... definetely get a good bit of that from RCF. loud as well.
reliability.

I had my arts on for 8 hours solid last sat without stopping and no problems at all the amps were still cool as well.

paulg
23-08-2010, 12:40 PM
What point are you trying to make ? Who,s speculating we sell the stuff so we tend to look under the bonnet.The original post and following post is for members info which is the great thing about this forum so dont knock it.

There's obviously some synergy between DB and RCF but my point is that it is wrong to speculate where that starts and ends and it's not helpful. The original question was "does that mean DB are RCF in different clothing or just a budget range?" - a difficult question to answer and only ever likely to deteriorate into myth and misunderstanding. Only a detailed comparison of both DB and RCF operations could answer the question, but why bother, we should stick judging on performance and reliability and not whether it has bits made in Italy, China or Timbuktoo.

TONYTIGER
23-08-2010, 02:34 PM
There's obviously some synergy between DB and RCF but my point is that it is wrong to speculate where that starts and ends and it's not helpful. The original question was "does that mean DB are RCF in different clothing or just a budget range?" - a difficult question to answer and only ever likely to deteriorate into myth and misunderstanding. Only a detailed comparison of both DB and RCF operations could answer the question, but why bother, we should stick judging on performance and reliability and not whether it has bits made in Italy, China or Timbuktoo.

To clarify we have been selling RCF products since the 60s so understand there history,as i pointed out up until recently RCf ,Db And Mackie all came from the same source ,they have now gone there different ways like all companies many products in this industry are re badged .Db are certainly not a budget range and in fact hold there own with many top brands.
I note you have got your new speakers from Italy why? is it because thats were they are made.Never the less a good choice.