PDA

View Full Version : Student Nights!!

WWDJ
21-08-2010, 08:26 AM
My Djing career seems to be changing all the time and from end of September I will be doing a student night in Oxford. Basically I now know a few promoters and I do the early slot on a Thursday 10-1 so I can tucked in bed by 2 lol.

Did A level results on Thursday to a wicked crowd and I mixed up RnB, DnB, Dance and Dubstep, old skool RnB, a bit of everything. The plan is to play this plus some classics and indie from the 90s onwards.

What I am looking for are lists of tracks to play to students that they will love. These are 18-22 year olds. These can be classics or brand new tracks that are storming it right now and of any genre as long as they will go down well.

Let's brainstorm ....

yourdj
21-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Just play the chart :) Stuff like beautiful monster etc.

have a look here for a list of semi current tunes they will love:

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/trackupload.php

DeckstarDeluxe
21-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Indie tends to do very well at our student nights in Cheltenham.

Wheatus Teenage Dirtbag
Stuff like summer of 69, livin on a prayer,Reef and of course Journey
RNB stuff for most of the night but I always keep House of pain as a
"lets get this party started" track then hit them with a mix of usher/beyonce/fatman scoop and BEP " Pump it"

What you will get is alot of requests of tracks that are not due for release for a couple of weeks so maybe worth looking into
CD Pool or similiar service.

yourdj
21-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Indie tends to do very well at our student nights in Cheltenham.

Wheatus Teenage Dirtbag
Stuff like summer of 69, livin on a prayer,Reef and of course Journey
RNB stuff for most of the night but I always keep House of pain as a
"lets get this party started" track then hit them with a mix of usher/beyonce/fatman scoop and BEP " Pump it"

What you will get is alot of requests of tracks that are not due for release for a couple of weeks so maybe worth looking into
CD Pool or similiar service.

Yea! I agree with the likes of teenage dirtbag - great track.
kings of leon, mr brightside as well.

notroubleclubber
21-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Id love to do student nights! If you need a hand im only in Swindon!

WWDJ
21-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Cheers so far ...

I will of course be mixing in all the current chart and well known indie tracks that I play at most of my parties, but indie isn't an area where I have that much experience so what else should be on my lists?

Notrouble ... Watch this space ... I don't know what is going to happen yet... What are your djing credentials?

thex-faders
21-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Will Smith - Prince Of Bel Air (always a hit, good sing along) Just get the TV version though as hardly anyone knows the middle verses.

Sex on fire, Summer of 69, journey -don't stop believing, queen - dont stop me know

Ye all the classics. Students are pretty easy to please, being one myself :)

Tom

WWDJ
21-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Will Smith - Prince Of Bel Air (always a hit, good sing along) Just get the TV version though as hardly anyone knows the middle verses.

Sex on fire, Summer of 69, journey -don't stop believing, queen - dont stop me know

Ye all the classics. Students are pretty easy to please, being one myself :)

Tom

What else do you like to hear, off the beaten track a bit. ... kooks, the view, hard-fi, kasabian, vampire weekend ? ... are any of these worth playing ?

BeerFunk
21-08-2010, 04:04 PM
These were 'staple' tracks in a student club I used to DJ :

5ive - Megamix
The Killers - Mr Brightside
Hanson - MmmBop
Oasis - Cigarettes & Alcohol
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
Divinyls - I Touch Myself
Bryan Adams - Summer Of 69
Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch
Will Smith - Wild Wild West
Dolly Parton - 9 To 5 [Remix]
Christina Aguilera - Dirrty
Pink! - Get The Party Started [Redman Remix]

Some of them are generally played in most commercial clubs of course.

Ryu
21-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Indie tracks I'd consider...

Strokes - Last nite
Vampire Weekend - a-punk
Arctic Monkeys - Mardy bum
Kings of Leon - 4 kicks
Supergrass - Caught by the Fuzz (it IS Oxford after all)
The Killers - Somebody told me
Florence and the Machine - Dog Days
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Bloc Party - Helicopter
Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
The Libertines - Don't look back into the Sun

For newer stuff

The Drums - Les go Surfing
Kele Okereke - Tenderoni
Phoenix - Girlfriend or 1901
Foals - Cassius or Balloon (another oXford thing)

Finally...Of course...Radiohead (would probably want slightly livelier stuff of there's like bodysnatchers or for a bit of oldschool, Anyone can play guitar)

Hope that helps...I'm oxford based and have done the band scene in Oxford (zodiac, Jericho tavern etc) so I feel free to ask any questions.

notroubleclubber
23-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Cheers so far ...

I will of course be mixing in all the current chart and well known indie tracks that I play at most of my parties, but indie isn't an area where I have that much experience so what else should be on my lists?

Notrouble ... Watch this space ... I don't know what is going to happen yet... What are your djing credentials?

PM sent