PDA

View Full Version : Sports Hall!??

simon1969
24-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Just looked at a venue I'm doing a wedding in next month, i'ts a sports hall with quite a high ceiling i've never djyed at a venue like this before.
Whilst I was in the hall talking to the manager I noticed how much of a reverb there was in the room.
Any advice on this type of venue would be apreciated, thanks in advance!!
:) :)

StarZSoundS
24-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Is there any other DJ's in the area that you don't like who you can give the Gig too!!!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Vectis
24-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Unless you have or can hire the "right" PA to cope with this type of venue, then my advice would be to focus on filling just the dancefloor with quality audio. Maybe a bit of angling of speakers etc. to achieve.

I'm guessing, correct me if I'm wrong, that this is more of a "budget" do anyway, given the choice of venue, therefore they won't be expecting miracles. :)

simon1969
24-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Unless you have or can hire the "right" PA to cope with this type of venue, then my advice would be to focus on filling just the dancefloor with quality audio. Maybe a bit of angling of speakers etc. to achieve.

I'm guessing, correct me if I'm wrong, that this is more of a "budget" do anyway, given the choice of venue, therefore they won't be expecting miracles. :)

Yes you are correct but it is for a friend, and they have around 100-150 people attending and the other room is to small.
Thanks for advice :)

Excalibur
24-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Just looked at a venue I'm doing a wedding in next month, i'ts a sports hall with quite a high ceiling i've never djyed at a venue like this before.
Whilst I was in the hall talking to the manager I noticed how much of a reverb there was in the room.

If you're lucky, they may fit drapes at a lower level. Not only does it look good, it stops a lot of the echo.

Main thing is to go and listen where the audience are. I know one local venue where it sounds atrocious from the stage, but great on the dance floor.

simon1969
24-08-2010, 10:05 PM
If you're lucky, they may fit drapes at a lower level. Not only does it look good, it stops a lot of the echo.

Main thing is to go and listen where the audience are. I know one local venue where it sounds atrocious from the stage, but great on the dance floor.

There is no stage and they won't be putting any drapes up and audience are gonna be at one end of the hall or the other.
Venue manager said i can set up where I want .......

paulg
24-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Smiley or no smiley, what an appalling comment.

Corabar Steve
24-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Why? as a rule functions in that type of venue generally are.

Or are you picking up on the inference that as the venue is cheaper the client will be less discerning?

BeerFunk
24-08-2010, 10:46 PM

Main thing is to go and listen where the audience are. I know one local venue where it sounds atrocious from the stage, but great on the dance floor.That's exactly what I was going to say! :eek:

If a smaller area in the hall isn't cordoned off, there is nothing you can do about the reverb - you can't defy the laws of physics :)

Sapphire Disco
24-08-2010, 11:08 PM
when I had that situation I used 2 pairs of tops no subs worked quite well I think.

Creature
25-08-2010, 01:46 AM
The most important thing is to get the sound quailty right. You certainly wont want bass bins in there. I would also watch the sound levels - better to keep it on the quiet side, so it dont reverb all over the place.

Patience is a virtue with those types of halls. - get there early and have a play around till you get the sound right

DazzyD
25-08-2010, 06:22 AM
when I had that situation I used 2 pairs of tops no subs worked quite well I think.

Totally agree. Subs would only add to the problem. I would also tone down the bass a touch (but not so it spoils the overall sound) on the mixer.

The most important thing is to get the sound quailty right. You certainly wont want bass bins in there. I would also watch the sound levels - better to keep it on the quiet side, so it dont reverb all over the place.

Patience is a virtue with those types of halls. - get there early and have a play around till you get the sound right

And then be prepared to jiggle your levels and EQ once the guests have arrived. The sound will change as more people come in to the room.

But the best bet, as it usually the case with any venue, is play to the dancefloor area. You can't go wrong that way.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Totally agree. Subs would only add to the problem. I would also tone down the bass a touch (but not so it spoils the overall sound) on the mixer.

And then be prepared to jiggle your levels and EQ once the guests have arrived. The sound will change as more people come in to the room.

But the best bet, as it usually the case with any venue, is play to the dancefloor area. You can't go wrong that way.

Thanks to everybody for the advice, had a feeling lowering the volume would be better and I had planned on getting there earlier to have a mess because I can get access from the morning.
Adding two more speakers would not make a difference just add more problems for me wouldn't it ?

Sapphire Disco
25-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Adding two more speakers would not make a difference just add more problems for me wouldn't it ?

I find that 4 full range speakers gives a fuller richer sound than 2 without driving them too hard, if it's quite a big place and a lot of people I feel it would sound better, of course it's a matter of opinion but I think it worked for me :)

simon1969
25-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I find that 4 full range speakers gives a fuller richer sound than 2 without driving them too hard, if it's quite a big place and a lot of people I feel it would sound better, of course it's a matter of opinion but I think it worked for me :)

Oh o.k thanks but wouldn't there be some delay for me when im djying though?

Sapphire Disco
25-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Oh o.k thanks but wouldn't there be some delay for me when im djying though?

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying, if it's you think I'm suggesting you have a speaker in each corner that's not what I would do I would have 2 pairs either side of you rig.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry I don't understand what you are saying, if it's you think I'm suggesting you have a speaker in each corner that's not what I would do I would have 2 pairs either side of you rig.

No that sounds right wouldn't have enough speaker cable for that anyway :) !!
Didn't mean to confuse you, well I can get a couple more speakers very kindly offered by Dave from absract!!
:)

Sapphire Disco
25-08-2010, 01:39 PM
The only other things I would add are make sure you are using speakers that are both 8 Ohms because together they will come down to 4 Ohms and that they are all similar power, also that you have a good quality amp that will run at 2 Ohms ideally but 4Ohms will be OK as long as you don't make it work too hard.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 01:49 PM
The only other things I would add are make sure you are using speakers that are both 8 Ohms because together they will come down to 4 Ohms and that they are all similar power, also that you have a good quality amp that will run at 2 Ohms ideally but 4Ohms will be OK as long as you don't make it work too hard.

Great thanks i'll remember that i'll let you know how I get on!!

NKR
25-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I have actually done an event in a school sports hall as a favour for my wife.
They do have some serious echo on but once you get the levels right its not too bad. Not sure why someone said you wouldn't want bass as I found it made it easier to get the levels right as had more control on the low end frequencies.
Don't try too hard with the sound until the room fills as it was a nightmare when empty, but once got a load of teenagers and their parents in it was a load easier to get a decent sound without too much bounce back.

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanx to everybody for the advice, had a feeling lowering the volume would be better and I had planned on getting there earlier to have a mess because I can get access from the morning.
Adding a couple more full range cabs is a good idea. I'd suggest pairing them per side of the amp, ie two of one sort on one channel, and two other sort on other channel. It'll give you more control, cos if one set is more sensitive, you'll be able to balance them better.

Agreed.

Booche
25-08-2010, 04:36 PM
No that sounds right wouldn't have enough speaker cable for that anyway :) !!
Didn't mean to confuse you, well I can get a couple more speakers very kindly offered by Dave from absract!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
:)

Its ABSTRACT Simon lol

Just so people know its the peavey st15's which Simon would be using and if needs be my peavey pv1500 amp.

Cheers Dave :)

simon1969
25-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Its ABSTRACT Simon lol

Just so people know its the peavey st15's which Simon would be using and if needs be my peavey pv1500 amp.

My speakers are 2x kam 150w each (sorry didnt say before) and 300w kam amplifier.
Thanks Dave !!! :beer1: :beer1:

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Its ABSTRACT Simon lol

My speakers are 2x kam 150w each (sorry didnt say before) and 300w kam amplifier.

Ah, well in that case you'll definitely need the Peavey amp, cos from memory Dave's ST's are 4ohms. Even if they're not, it's still best to use them as two kits, not one.

Sapphire Disco
25-08-2010, 04:53 PM

I would take up Dave's offer of amp & speakers , personally I would have one of each type of speaker each side should sound quite nice as they will have their own different tones, feed into the Peavey's then out into the Kams the speakers are a bit miss matched but it should be OK if it's not too loud, which you don't want anyway.

Booche
25-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I believe they are Peter BUT im no way technical minded on ohms,wattage etc lol But i think we will be doing what has been suggested and having the kams going into the peaveys and then going into the peavey amp even though im sure the peaveys would be suffice on there own ;)

P.s. Just a shame i haven't got my class d's anymore lol

Sapphire Disco
25-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I think the ST15s are 8 Ohms so it should be OK of course the best set up would be to use two amps but that would complicate it even more ;)
I think you would have struggled with your Kam amp and speakers, although Dave's amp & speakers should be OK on their own I still think it would be good to use 2 pairs IMHO :)

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I believe they are Peter BUT im no way technical minded on ohms,wattage etc lol But i think we will be doing what has been suggested and having the kams going into the peaveys and then going into the peavey amp even though im sure the peaveys would be suffice on there own ;)

P.s. Just a shame i haven't got my class d's anymore lol

Sure is.

Right lads, please tell me I've misunderstood you, cos this is one suitable way to do it. There are others of course. The way you two are describing doesn't sound like a suitable one.

Mixer out to Peavey amp, driving Peavey speakers. Take cables from the Thru/Low out jacks on the Peavey into the Kam amp driving the Kam cabs. Don't enable the crossover on the Peavey.

Alternatively, same game, but Kam first. Whichever way, use XLR's for input, and jacks for output from first amp, to input of second amp.

Booche
25-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Think the easiest way would be just to use my peavey setup and be done lol :P

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Think the easiest way would be just to use my peavey setup and be done lol :P

Well thanks a lot pal, last time I give you helpful advice. :p :p :D :D :D

£100 , and I'll bring a vanful of Class D's down. :D :D :D :D :D :D

simon1969
25-08-2010, 05:46 PM

I think he was just trying to simplify things Peter!!
Thanks for advice though we still might use both!!

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 05:54 PM
I think he was just trying to simplify things Peter!!
Thanks for advice though we still might use both!!

Twas only in jest, mate. ;) :D :D You'll soon learn that jest is my default setting, except when giving sensible advice. It's telling the difference that's tricky. :confused: :confused: :D :D :D :D

Booche
25-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Might just take that offer up now for the cheek lol :P

TONYTIGER
25-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Bit late on this post.i have a local town hall that has problems with reverb times caused my lots of flat non absorbent surfaces.

Keep your speakers low and use the crowd to stop the reverb because bodies will stop the sound flying around ,and as mentioned back of the volume.

Mark Wild
25-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Good to see the forum work it magic and someone help you out, a wedding for 150 people in a sports hall with 2 x 150 watt Kams might have been a bit of a nightmare for you lol.

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Might just take that offer up now for the cheek lol :P

Yeah, but it's £250 to plug the blighters in. ;) :D :D :D :D

Booche
25-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, but it's £250 to plug the blighters in. ;) :D :D :D :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats some extention lead from Yorkshire to Derbyshire lol

DeckstarDeluxe
25-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Good to see the forum work it magic and someone help you out, a wedding for 150 people in a sports hall with 2 x 150 watt Kams might have been a bit of a nightmare for you lol.

My thoughts too.

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 06:23 PM

Oi sonny, that's 150watts more than I've worked sports halls with in the dim and distant past. :p :p

And in all seriousness, I have done them more recently with a pair of Peavey Eurosys 3's, which are very similar to Dave's ST's.

NKR
25-08-2010, 06:26 PM

My thoughts too.

Yeah you are going to need some more cabs. I did the sports hall I did with two RW3's (300 watts each) off a QSC RMX2450 with a Mackie sw1801z for bass. In reallity I would have put the second set of RW3's up alongside as was having to push it a bit.

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah you are going to need some more cabs. I did the sports hall I did with two RW3's (300 watts each) off a QSC RMX2450 with a Mackie sw1801z for bass. In reallity I would have put the second set of RW3's up alongside as was having to push it a bit.

Bear in mind lads, there are Sports Halls, and sports halls. ;) ;) I don't think there's a british standard size yet. :confused: :confused:

simon1969
25-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Yes my thoughts too and i'm very grateful to everyone who helped me out on here with their advice :thanks: :cool:

NKR
25-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Bear in mind lads, there are Sports Halls, and sports halls. ;) ;) I don't think there's a british standard size yet. :confused: :confused:

Basketball Court as a minimum is the usual size.

StarZSoundS
25-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Yes my thoughts too and i'm very grateful to everyone who helped me out on here with their advice :thanks: :cool:

Lee......

At least you know what you've got.....

Me.....I haven't got a :Censored: clue!!!I just know it sounds loud and good:) :) :) I think :confused: :confused:

Booche
25-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Lee......:confused: :confused:

Think you mean Simon ;)

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Basketball Court as a minimum is the usual size.

Thank you Mr Smartarse. :D :D :D :D :D :D

NKR
25-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Thank you Mr Smartarse. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Surveyors who used to do college and university estate strategies in a former life - don't you just love them :D

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Surveyors who used to do college and university estate strategies in a former life - don't you just love them :D

Please tell me that was a rhetorical question. :p :D :D

NKR
25-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Please tell me that was a rhetorical question. :p :D :D

Yes; as I am sure the answer would require the watershed to have passed :eek:

StarZSoundS
06-09-2010, 09:58 PM

You asked me to elaborate!!

Link to your Sports Hall playlist thread!!!:confused: :confused: