PDA

View Full Version : £60 quid sid has struck again!!

simon1969
25-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I had a booking passed on by Steve off the forum this week, phoned client and she has booked someone cheaper !!!
Just recently this has been happening more frequently to the point i'm thinking of dropping my price !
Bear in mind I have had to relocate and i'm reastablishing myself.
Would anyone on here drop their prices because of this?

DeckstarDeluxe
25-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Nope, time to put your prices up if anything.

Plus you gotta get across to the customer what you offer which is worth paying the extra.

Vectis
25-08-2010, 01:07 PM
If you find that you are competing too close to Sid's stomping ground then my advice would be to improve your service offering and go upmarket.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 01:09 PM
If you find that you are competing too close to Sid's stomping ground then my advice would be to improve your service offering and go upmarket.

No there is more than one Sid that is the problem and people won't pay over £100.00 for a birthday party!!!! :mad: :mad:

Megamix
25-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I dont charge a fortune but have recently been replaced by someone doing it for NOTHING - should I pay a tenner?

Daryll
25-08-2010, 01:11 PM
A very short answer.

No :D

If you drop your prices , people will always expect that low figure , I am speaking from experience :( , there will always be clients that only care about price , trust me , they are not your clients , stick with it mate.

Daryll

simon1969
25-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Nope, time to put your prices up if anything.

Plus you gotta get across to the customer what you offer which is worth paying the extra.

She wasn't interested about P.A.T & PLI to be honest ludricous but true!!
Or the quality of service from me only the price!! :bang: :bang:

DeckstarDeluxe
25-08-2010, 01:12 PM
No there is more than one Sid that is the problem and people won't pay over £100.00 for a birthday party!!!! :mad: :mad:

Has this forum not taught you anything?

Firstly thing I learnt is statements like that are untrue in any area.

Time for a review of your business perhaps?

simon1969
25-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Yes this forum has!!
But evidence i.e (enquiries from potential customers have brought me to this conclusion).
I was speaking to a gas engineer today about prices (not on a bad wage) and he said same and I said not for a wedding? His answer was no!!?!
I won't be dropping my prices but im getting increasingly frustrated :mad: :mad: !!!!
Review in what way ??!!
Apart from marketing but advertising isn't cheap these days!!

Vectis
25-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Red rag to a bull time :o

I regularly get more than double that for a 2-hour KIDS birthday party :) My area is full to bursting with Sids, I kid you not.

Anyway, not wishing to stir up the hornets nest which is "you'll never get that round here"...

No, marketing isn't cheap. It can be, but that's a false economy because cheap marketing usually brings far more cheap enquiries than decent ones.

You need to decide whether to:

a) trim your costs and take the lower-paying jobs

or

b) hold (or increase) your costs and target the better-paying jobs

Option (a) is the easiest, but in the long run you'll find yourself stereotyped in much the same way Sid is, working very hard for not much return and this will erode your passion for the job. Ultimately it will break you, financially, physically or mentally.

Option (b) is the hardest. Start by revisiting (or writing) a proper business plan. Suddenly decent marketing might not seem such a big problem when you consider the returns you could achieve.

This forum is, in my experience, made up of about 90% of folks who will help you down road (b) and about 10% who will push you in the direction of (a). Keep asking questions and cherry pick the advice and you'll do well.

If your DJ'ing skills are any good that is.... :p

DJMaxG
25-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Does your price reflect your service?

Perhaps you are attracting the wrong market. Customers will pay £500+ for a function, but certain ones (eg wedding).

There are DJs priced at different ends of the market and provide a service near to what they charge. Customers on a low budget will book "sixty squid sid", customers on a higher budget will book Visualdjmax :D

I had a booking passed on by Steve off the forum

There are several Steve`s I think. Do you mean Corabar Steve?

Mark Wild
25-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Does your price reflect your service?

Does yours?

Perhaps you are attracting the wrong market. Customers will pay £500+ for a function, but certain ones (eg wedding).

That's rubbish Max, some customers would pay £1000 for a christening, it depends what they want.

There are several Steve`s I think. Do you mean Corabar Steve?

Does that really matter?

simon1969
25-08-2010, 01:53 PM
No not Corabar Steve SPJ Steve from Stockport lovely bloke met him last week in the pub!!
Maybe i'm looking at lower end of the market but need to advertise for that end of market your describing....

Vectis
25-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Forget Stockport.

You should be talking to venues and appealing to clients in Cheadle, Bramhall, Wilmslow & The Edge etc. If you must stay closer to home, don't head North ;)

deltic
25-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Forget Stockport.

You should be talking to venues and appealing to clients in Cheadle, Bramhall, Wilmslow & The Edge etc. If you must stay closer to home, don't head North ;)

what's wrong with us northern folk then vectis

simon1969
25-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Forget Stockport.

Yes I have been thinking about those places next thing to do, then and I will have to save some money for some advertising.
Thanks for the help everyone!!

Vectis
25-08-2010, 02:18 PM
what's wrong with us northern folk then vectis

Nowt.

You just can't get more than £100 up north, or so I'm regularly told :D

Actually I was implying that the OP shouldn't head in the direction of South Manchester because that would exacerbate the Sid situation. Purely a local piece of advice. 5 mile radius max. :p

DJMaxG
25-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Does yours?

I don`t charge for it, so that is irrellevant.

That's rubbish Max, some customers would pay £1000 for a christening, it depends what they want.

I said "eg" Mark, that means example. I was saying that you need the RIGHT CUSTOMERS, and used the wedding for an example.

Mark Wild
25-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Customers will pay £500+ for a function, but certain ones (eg wedding).

So what other "certain functions" will customers pay £500+ for Max and which "certain functions" won't they pay £500+ for and why?

deltic
25-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Nowt.

You just can't get more than £100 up north, or so I'm regularly told :D

Actually I was implying that the OP shouldn't head in the direction of South Manchester because that would exacerbate the Sid situation. Purely a local piece of advice. 5 mile radius max. :p

i know what you meant was just joffing with you martin

Paul The Party Dj
25-08-2010, 04:39 PM
If people tell me they can get a disco for £100 I politely tell them I can't help and to save their money and do it themselves.

StarZSoundS
25-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Theres one or two things not stacking up for me here!!

Your profile suggests that you have been DJ'ing for ten years(IN CAPITALS) but you're still not sure of your place in the Market.:eek: :eek: Your Avatar makes you look like the youngest 41 year old i've ever seen(however mine is of me as a much younger man....so maybe shouldn't comment) and in another thread you mentioned that your gear may be underpowered for a Sports Hall.....most of us that have been in it 10 years would have differing rigs for all these types of venues.;) ;) ;)

My advice would differ depending on what situation you are in.....I can't give it because i'm really not sure what that is!!:confused: :confused:

Hope you don't mind me commenting???:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I know where you're coming from, since I'm having my worst year ever, due to Sid. There's no way I can afford to lower my prices, so I feel a radical rethink is in order.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Theres one or two things not stacking up for me here!!

Your profile suggests that you have been DJ'ing for ten years(IN CAPITALS) but you're still not sure of your place in the Market.:eek: :eek: Your Avatar makes you look like the youngest 41 year old i've ever seen(however mine is of me as a much younger man....so maybe shouldn't comment) and in another thread you mentioned that your gear may be underpowered for a Sports Hall.....most of us that have been in it 10 years would have differing rigs for all these types of venues.;) ;) ;)

My advice would differ depending on what situation you are in.....I can't give it because i'm really not sure what that is!!:confused: :confused:

Hope you don't mind me commenting???:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

O.K I take on board what your saying I have only been mobile for four years,
two of those I was working for someone else and played small to medium venues and did karaoke and resident party dj at Sunderland dog track also.
For the past 2 years ive been mobile on my own as such.
Before that I was resident dj at various nights around the northwest (mainly goth /rock /indie/alt/electro/industrial.
Not the same as djing to the masses
That pic btw is an up to date photo ask Dave (Abstract) !!!!
So thats why not misleading or a lie i'm just inexperienced that's why I asked.
P.S you have known this but my interview still not been posted on here yet!!!!

StarZSoundS
25-08-2010, 05:20 PM
O.K I take on board what your saying I have only been mobile for four years,
two of those I was working for someone else and played small to medium venues and did karaoke and resident party dj at Sunderland dog track also.
For the past 2 years ive been mobile on my own as such.
Before that I was resident dj at various nights around the northwest (mainly goth /rock /indie/alt/electro/industrial.
Not the same as djing to the masses
That pic btw is an up to date photo ask Dave (Abstract) !!!!
So thats why not misleading or a lie i'm just inexperienced that's why I asked.
P.S you have known this but my interview still not been posted on here yet!!!!

Then for the first part I could see some pitfalls in taking Martins(Vectis's)advice about Wilmslow,The Edge etc.....There is a chance you may embarass yourself,a venue,a Bride....etc,etc.....;) ;) ;)

I appreciate your honesty and you seem like a nice guy...and there's nothing wrong with where you are in experience or Geography.Hopefully now others will come along with some more useful advice aimed specifically at your situation

simon1969
25-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Then for the first part I could see some pitfalls in taking Martins(Vectis's)advice about Wilmslow,The Edge etc.....There is a chance you may embarass yourself,a venue,a Bride....etc,etc.....;) ;) ;)

I appreciate your honesty and you seem like a nice guy...and there's nothing wrong with where you are in experience or Geography.Hopefully now others will come along with some more useful advice aimed specifically at your situation

Going off topic a bit sorry moderators!!
This is quite an informal wedding from meeting with B&G and that's what they want.
They are friends of mine not saying the quality of service would be less or anything.
Also I have done a few weddings (very formal) and i had brilliant feedback from all of them.
So I wouldn't embarass myself as in my djing skills but on the technical side I may need some help but you got to start somewhere!!!

StarZSoundS
25-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Going off topic a bit sorry moderators!!
This is quite an informal wedding from meeting with B&G and that's what they want.
They are friends of mine not saying the quality of service would be less or anything.
Also I have done a few weddings (very formal) and i had brilliant feedback from all of them.
So I wouldn't embarass myself as in my djing skills but on the technical side I may need some help but you got to start somewhere!!!

Perhaps forfeit some of your fee and ask one of the lads on here that are near you to share the function with you.Maybe even Boochey Boy.....he really is salt of the earth!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

simon1969
25-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Perhaps forfeit some of your fee and ask one of the lads on here that are near you to share the function with you.Maybe even Boochey Boy.....he really is salt of the earth!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

I know that and he is helping me out and yes he is a great bloke !!!

Excalibur
25-08-2010, 05:58 PM

I'd go and help, if he weren't from the wrong side of the Pennines. ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

StarZSoundS
25-08-2010, 05:58 PM
i know what you meant was just joffing with you martin

Andy ....what the Hell is Joffing:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Up here we have Joshing,Joking or Jousting.....

Maybe its that Olde English ...Where the f's looked like s's....but even then we only get jossing!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

simon1969
25-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I'd go and help, if he weren't from the wrong side of the Pennines. ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

It's the thought that counts thanks!! :) :D :beer1: :beer1:

StarZSoundS
25-08-2010, 06:23 PM
APOLOGIES....Andy....

From the Urban Directory!!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=to%20joff

You are one hip Dude!!

DeckstarDeluxe
25-08-2010, 06:29 PM
back on topic.

If your playout is just 2 Kam 150watt speakers I dont think you'll get very far with them. Most repeat bookings will be based on the DJ with good mic and interpersonal skills and also quality of sound and not someone red lining speakers non stop.

StarZSoundS
25-08-2010, 06:35 PM
back on topic.

If your playout is just 2 Kam 150watt speakers I dont think you'll get very far with them. Most repeat bookings will be based on the DJ with good mic and interpersonal skills and also quality of sound and not someone red lining speakers non stop.

I thought you were suggesting he was puting his prices up???Post 2!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

NKR
25-08-2010, 06:40 PM
back on topic.

Yep them 150's are going to need some working in larger venues. Saying that I did use my RW2's from time to time and they are little 12" 200's and they do okay in smaller settings.

Anyway if you get some better cabs and you are any good the agency I do some work for keeps trying to get me to go to south Stockport and to be honest I can't be bothered doing the 100 mile round trip. What is your full set up?

DeckstarDeluxe
25-08-2010, 06:55 PM
I thought you were suggesting he was puting his prices up???Post 2!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I do but your sound is one of the best selling points you can have. You can spend all you like on google but word of month is the best form of advertising as they say.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Yep them 150's are going to need some working in larger venues. Saying that I did use my RW2's from time to time and they are little 12" 200's and they do okay in smaller settings.

Anyway if you get some better cabs and you are any good the agency I do some work for keeps trying to get me to go to south Stockport and to be honest I can't be bothered doing the 100 mile round trip. What is your full set up?

O.K. thanks for that !!!
My set up is kam mixer /with kam cd players/ karaoke players, 2 Chaos njd's
,2 Skytec led twisters, two KAM microphones,two speaker stands,one t bar lighting stand, and one t bar lighting stand with sidebars.

NKR
25-08-2010, 07:30 PM
O.K. thanks for that !!!
My set up is kam mixer /with kam cd players/ karaoke players, 2 Chaos njd's
,2 Skytec led twisters, two KAM microphones,two speaker stands,one t bar lighting stand, and one t bar lighting stand with sidebars.

You just love the KAM. Did this come as a set out of interest. Must admit I have had some KAM bits on the rig, but they have been killed off with upgrades.

If you are using the KAM radio mics then they will die soon. That's from experience.

What is your experience with weddings in particular? Full break down if you could.

Its NJD Chaos by the way and nice little lights (I assume they are the 150's). With better sound you should just be able to get away with that room.

What is your usual rate - you can PM me that - as its not worth discussing any further if its not going to work at the agency prices. Can't promise anything, but he keeps trying to get me to drag my butt down there and there is not quite enough on it to make sense for me and my rig.

Actually this should probably all be on PM.

welby
25-08-2010, 07:50 PM

I have one close to me £150 for a wedding!

simon1969
25-08-2010, 07:51 PM
pm sent :D

Corabar Entertainment
25-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I have one close to me £150 for a wedding!

I'd be surprised if there was anyone on here who DIDN'T have a DJ near them who charges this or less.

ppentertainments
25-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Disagree, as usual :D , however sticking a couple of gallon of fuel in your vehicle and driving for a few minutes can make the world of difference.

My advice would be

a) have a look at your equipment. I am no gear snob, all that is needed are a couple of decent speakers - Skytec actives aren't bad for the money (or I know someone selling an excellent class-d set :zip: )

b) Look at your services. My belief is that if all you can offer is a simple disco you are limiting yourself especially where £££ is concerned.

c) Travel. If you live in a less affluent are then travel a bit. I regularly have 1 hour+ travel each way. There are the odd occasion where you can get good money in less affluent areas but if you are after regular gigs travelling is a must.

d) Meet up with other like minded DJ's. Take on board what they are saying, services offered and also get into the mindset - 'If they can do it, it IS possible'.

Most importantly - FORGET ABOUT THE CHEAPER DJ'S.

welby
25-08-2010, 07:56 PM
I'd be surprised if there was anyone on here who DIDN'T have a DJ near them who charges this or less.

Thing is he just turns up with a single mixer, no stand, blags a table, a light if you're lucky and an old pair of battered speakers and amp.

We go out with a full rig, dmx lighting control, a sound system worth approx £2K - I'm begining to think we are the fools here!

Corabar Entertainment
25-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Thing is he just turns up with a single mixer, no stand, blags a table, a light if you're lucky and an old pair of battered speakers and amp.

We go out with a full rig, dmx lighting control, a sound system worth approx £2K - I'm begining to think we are the fools here!If you really believe that, then stop taking / investing in the kit and charge £150.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Disagree, as usual :D , however sticking a couple of gallon of fuel in your vehicle and driving for a few minutes can make the world of difference.

My advice would be

a) have a look at your equipment. I am no gear snob, all that is needed are a couple of decent speakers - Skytec actives aren't bad for the money (or I know someone selling an excellent class-d set :zip: )

b) Look at your services. My belief is that if all you can offer is a simple disco you are limiting yourself especially where £££ is concerned.

c) Travel. If you live in a less affluent are then travel a bit. I regularly have 1 hour+ travel each way. There are the odd occasion where you can get good money in less affluent areas but if you are after regular gigs travelling is a must.

d) Meet up with other like minded DJ's. Take on board what they are saying, services offered and also get into the mindset - 'If they can do it, it IS possible'.

Most importantly - FORGET ABOUT THE CHEAPER DJ'S.

My point is i'm trying to get money off smaller gigs to save up for gear for more afluent gigs,and I have idiots undercutting me !!
I don't have a very well paid main job due to reloaction.
I know Greater Manchester /Cheshire areas very well as I grew up in the area couldn't care less how far as long its not over an hour!
I have met other dj's but not many from Manchester area on here plenty of other dj's not off the forum that i'd rather not meet!!

ppentertainments
25-08-2010, 08:30 PM
My point is i'm trying to get money off smaller gigs to save up for gear for more afluent gigs,and I have idiots undercutting me !!
I don't have a very well paid main job due to reloaction.
I know Greater Manchester /Cheshire areas very well as I grew up in the area couldn't care less how far as long its not over an hour!
I have met other dj's but not many from Manchester area on here plenty of other dj's not off the forum that i'd rather not meet!!

But smaller gigs should not neccesarily mean cheaper.

Not bragging, but to prove a point. I live in a very poor area and have loads of 'disco companies' within a couple of miles. Next thursday I have a gig for a wedding for 30 people - my fee £495. Basic disco with 4 uplights for the disco area and 2 uplights for the wedding cake table. The resident DJ charges £120 on a weekend (not sure about midweek). This is by no means a 'excellent paying gig' for myself.

I always ask the client why they choose to book me. In this instance the reasons were :
a) I was prepared to meet them beforehand
b) I would listen to what they want and give advice as to how I can make those requirements work

The above has cost a few hours and a couple of quids worth of diesel.

For the record I will only be using 2 Class-d speakers, 2 Datamoons on a T-bar and the uplights, together with a keyboard stand with a home made surround - Hardly a load of expensive equipment.

It is hard to get in the mindset, I will admit, but honestly, stop looking at cheaper DJ's and what they charge and look at you own services.

simon1969
25-08-2010, 08:38 PM
But smaller gigs should not neccesarily mean cheaper.

Not bragging, but to prove a point. I live in a very poor area and have loads of 'disco companies' within a couple of miles. Next thursday I have a gig for a wedding for 30 people - my fee £495. Basic disco with 4 uplights for the disco area and 2 uplights for the wedding cake table. The resident DJ charges £120 on a weekend (not sure about midweek). This is by no means a 'excellent paying gig' for myself.

I always ask the client why they choose to book me. In this instance the reasons were :
a) I was prepared to meet them beforehand
b) I would listen to what they want and give advice as to how I can make those requirements work

The above has cost a few hours and a couple of quids worth of diesel.

For the record I will only be using 2 Class-d speakers, 2 Datamoons on a T-bar and the uplights, together with a keyboard stand with a home made surround - Hardly a load of expensive equipment.

It is hard to get in the mindset, I will admit, but honestly, stop looking at cheaper DJ's and what they charge and look at you own services.

O.K. i'm getting confused here ive just been told i need better speakers now i don't :confused: :confused: .
I always meet people beforehand and I will listen and give advice on what you have mentioned.
All I can think in conclusion is to save up when I start my new full time job and go from there.

ppentertainments
25-08-2010, 08:43 PM
O.K. i'm getting confused here ive just been told i need better speakers now i don't :confused: :confused: .
I always meet people beforehand and I will listen and give advice on what you have mentioned.
All I can think in conclusion is to save up when I start my new full time job and go from there.
You do need better speakers, but don't rely on equipment to get better prices. What I was saying is that even with smaller gigs you can get good money.

I also do race nights where I finish off with a little 'disco'. All I use for most race nights is a small mixer amp and a couple of speakers (not as good as your Kams), or a pair or warrior PSR-8a and no lights (or sometimes 1 light). I have gained many DISCO bookings from the small disco after a race night.

STEVE HANLEY
25-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I followed the advice of others on this site. Two in particular (they know who they are) I started to put my prices up gradually and the work is coming in. Picked up two more this week.

Last weekend I was out Friday and Saturday and it was my best paid weekend by the proverbial mile. Well pleased. It does work you just have to believe in yourself:) :)

simon1969
25-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I followed the advice of others on this site. Two in particular (they know who they are) I started to put my prices up gradually and the work is coming in. Picked up two more this week.

Last weekend I was out Friday and Saturday and it was my best paid weekend by the proverbial mile. Well pleased. It does work you just have to believe in yourself:) :)

Yes I will might take a while and thanks for advice, and encouragement from everyone!!!!
Simon

ppentertainments
25-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes I will might take a while and thanks for advice, and encouragement from everyone!!!!
Simon
Just realise where you live, a good place to start for advice would be to attend the NADJ meetings in Bradford (I believe there is one this evening). Not too much of a hike for you but can guarantee the advice will be invaluable. ;)

DJMaxG
26-08-2010, 02:59 AM
So what other "certain functions" will customers pay £500+ for Max and which "certain functions" won't they pay £500+ for and why?

I would say that someone requiring a small party at the local village hall or social club who has a smaller set budget won`t be happy paying it (as proven). There are some decent DJs out there that will charge less. Their mic skills and entertainment is as good, but they will often run it part time and use less, and/or, cheaper equipment.

I would not be able to confirm where their music is sourced, nor whether they have insurance etc though. As a venue requirement, I would gather that they did as some will work at Hilton etc.

rob1963
26-08-2010, 09:12 AM
So what other "certain functions" will customers pay £500+ for Max

One of them is 2 hour kids parties, as a friend of mine did one last year in someones garage and charged them over £1,000!

It's not the FUNCTION that dictates the price...but the PERSON making the booking, and depends on what they are looking for and what they are prepared to pay.

DJMaxG
26-08-2010, 11:54 AM
It's not the FUNCTION that dictates the price...but the PERSON making the booking, and depends on what they are looking for and what they are prepared to pay.

Although it is not a set rule, I would think that the function has some impact, as a wedding is their "big day" and budgets seem to be massive, something they will remember, where`s a party fo their 12 yr old daughter would be unlikely to hold a large budget (in comparison)

soundtracker
26-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Although it is not a set rule, I would think that the function has some impact, as a wedding is their "big day" and budgets seem to be massive, something they will remember, where`s a party fo their 12 yr old daughter would be unlikely to hold a large budget (in comparison)

How can you keeping arguing and chirruping away about something that you have absolutely no experience of?:bang:

Corabar Entertainment
26-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I would think that ....and therein is the problem.

You are posting PURELY upon your own mind-set and guess-work. You have no experience to draw from, and I therefore really do not understand why you persist in posting things which you truly have no real idea about.

Mark Wild
26-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Exactly my point Roberto :D

How can you keeping arguing and chirruping away about something that you have absolutely no experience of?:bang:

I normally just ignore him and his wealth of experience of watching thoasands of youtube gig logs, but the capitals and bold text he fired at me yesterday got on my wick lol :p

I would say that someone requiring a small party at the local village hall or social club who has a smaller set budget won`t be happy paying it (as proven). There are some decent DJs out there that will charge less. Their mic skills and entertainment is as good, but they will often run it part time and use less, and/or, cheaper equipment.

I would not be able to confirm where their music is sourced, nor whether they have insurance etc though. As a venue requirement, I would gather that they did as some will work at Hilton etc.

Wrong again Max, do me a favour? pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow :D

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Max why on earth do you keep posting rubbish that you have no experience to back it up.

You have admitted that you dont DJ, nor do you seem to have any interest in taking it up so why on earth do you post on here like you have the knowledge that the rest of us have?

Shaun
26-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Max why on earth do you keep posting rubbish that you have no experience to back it up.

You have admitted that you dont DJ, nor do you seem to have any interest in taking it up so why on earth do you post on here like you have the knowledge that the rest of us have?

I think the biggest concern is that new members will think he's a working DJ speaking from experience, and take on board his comments with that in mind. This in reality could be a stumbling block for them. As long as people are aware that he's not actually speaking from real experience then I guess that he's free to post as he wishes, as long as it's within the rules of the forum.

I've added an avatar for Max, to help and aid our newer members in making an informed decision.

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I think the biggest concern is that new members will think he's a working DJ speaking from experience, and take on board his comments with that in mind. This in reality could be a stumbling block for them. As long as people are aware that he's not actually speaking from real experience then I guess that he's free to post as he wishes, as long as it's within the rules of the forum.

I've added an avatar for Max, to help and aid our newer members in making an informed decision.

Very good point Shaun.

CRAZY K
26-08-2010, 12:46 PM

OH I THOUGHT HE DID THAT HIMSELF

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Nice work;)

Ecstatic Events
26-08-2010, 12:54 PM
So DJMAXG doesnt even run a Disco Company or DJ?????

NKR
26-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Nope - he just helps newbies blow themselves up with rubbish advice.

Shaun
26-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Okidoki, time to get the thread back on track. :)

:ontopic:

Cheers.

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Well looking back and I include myself we have gone way off topic so lets try and get back on track shall we.

Ideas for Livewire to help bring in the bigger paying gigs? As I said sound is the most important part of the kit side but then after that I think checking your phone and email manner is as good as it can be. Smart suit/shirts for all your gigs and website would be my first port of call.

simon1969
26-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I usually dress smart (but I get what your saying step it up) every time unless i'm told by client it's informal.
Thanks again!!! :) :D

Mark Wild
26-08-2010, 01:30 PM
In your bio it says "BEEN DJYING FOR 10 YEARS NICE RIG OUT"

What does that consist of mostly?

simon1969
26-08-2010, 01:49 PM
In your bio it says "BEEN DJYING FOR 10 YEARS NICE RIG OUT"

What does that consist of mostly?

Ive already posted that mate and in my opnion it is a nice rig !!!
And doesn't matter anyway from others members advice.
Cheers Simon

Mark Wild
26-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Ive already posted that mate and in my opnion it is a nice rig !!!
And doesn't matter anyway from others members advice.
Cheers Simon

My apologies I missed that, just read it though and in my opinion I think maybe you could do with investing a little into your business, especially sound, bad sound will effect repeat bookings. Demographics as VV pointed out, be prepared to travel further, after all we are mobile jocks.

StarZSoundS
26-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Well....there must be something about you Lee because everybody seems to be remarkably polite!!!

Can you post a picture of your nice rig out!!!

Before you do I have a hunch!!

I have a hunch that over the Bank Holiday weekend you might need to ponder on wether its worth taking a chance on being a DJ.The rig you were describing taking to the Sports Hall is a popular rig with Sid....so I'd be careful before you start slagging him off!!
;) ;) ;)
I don't know what your finances are like but in order to move way from Sid you may need to find a bare minimum of a grand(I know far too low...but lets encourage) and use these splendid forum members to help you buy some quality gear from Ebay off of some the jocks who are packing in.

I'm sorry to be harsh....but unless you are Jimmy Saville...it MAY be that you are not worth much more than the price you are competing with.....

Expects a ticking off from Angie about being rude...but his thread is going to go on forever if we don't have a reality check.....

StarZSoundS
26-08-2010, 06:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Disco-Set-Speakers-Amplifiers-Lights-Mirror-Balls-/320579579289?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL

Unbelieveable coincedence......

This is in Stockport......The Lads i'm sure will comment on its suitability for you.The speakers don't look a miss???!!!!

THANKS FOR THE EDIT PETE!!!

StarZSoundS
26-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Same guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Karaoke-Set-Amplifier-Karaoke-Players-Speakers-/320579583622?pt=UK_Mixers

Wonder why he's not showing the labels of those Sunfly:eek: Discs..:D :D :D

Ecstatic Events
26-08-2010, 06:45 PM
It's off topic - But my Mum has just moved to the Stockport area from Spain. She had a nightclub there and has got some lovely full range cabs x 4 she may still have for sale, miles better than your KAMS, Im unsure of brand but I set them up for her and they sounded mint!!! I doubt she'll want alot for them

PM me if you need further info :)

simon1969
26-08-2010, 08:34 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Disco-Set-Speakers-Amplifiers-Lights-Mirror-Balls-/320579579289?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL

This is in Stockport......The Lads i'm sure will comment on its suitability for you.The speakers don't look a miss???!!!!

Thanks but no cash at the minute (well not £500 smackers but thanks for heads up!!! ) :) :)

simon1969
26-08-2010, 08:35 PM
It's off topic - But my Mum has just moved to the Stockport area from Spain. She had a nightclub there and has got some lovely full range cabs x 4 she may still have for sale, miles better than your KAMS, Im unsure of brand but I set them up for her and they sounded mint!!! I doubt she'll want alot for them

PM me if you need further info :)

PM Sent thanks :) :)

NKR
26-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Don't just rush off and buy some bigger cabs. Quality is very important as is having an amplifier that is able to do them justice too.

simon1969
26-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes I know that one thing at a time!!!
Will take me a while to get a better kit together. :) :) :beer1: :beer1:

NKR
26-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Yes I know that one thing at a time!!!
Will take me a while to get a better kit together. :) :) :beer1: :beer1:

Yes but speaker upgrade and amp need to come together. What is the output of your current amp? Beware of getting bigger cabs, square waving and sending current, followed by can someone smell burning, oh its gone quiet.
If you want clipping to call use an amp thats too small!

simon1969
26-08-2010, 09:29 PM
That's why i sent a p.m to find out wattage of speakers, my amp is 300w I have some knowledge of speakers and amps if the speakers are suitable I'll search for an approiate amp.
Thanks though!!

Creature
26-08-2010, 09:51 PM
just had 5 xmas bookings cancelled - when i asked why they said got it for a 3rd of the price i was asking so that means they have found someone for £50.00 :( :( 3 of teh bookings i have done for the last 4 years so they know what there getting. again there not bothered about PLI or PAT just saving money :(

so now only booking for december are xmas eve & new years eve :(

Excalibur
26-08-2010, 10:49 PM

If that lot's worth £500. mine's going on there next week for £3,000;) ;)

Mark Wild
26-08-2010, 10:54 PM
just had 5 xmas bookings cancelled - when i asked why they said got it for a 3rd of the price i was asking so that means they have found someone for £50.00 :( :( 3 of teh bookings i have done for the last 4 years so they know what there getting. again there not bothered about PLI or PAT just saving money :(

Look on the brightside, you have time to get something else and 5 non-returnable deposits ;)

Corabar Steve
26-08-2010, 10:55 PM

That deckstand breaks down really small, he can get it in a carrier bag.

Also the Solar 250 only appears to be projector & rotator. no mention of discs.

Mark Wild
26-08-2010, 10:56 PM
That deckstand breaks down really small, he can get it in a carrier bag.

:lol: That tickled me too.

simon1969
26-08-2010, 10:58 PM

What £50.00 :eek: :eek:
Well good luck to them hope their kids don't get electrocuted on his/her none p.a.t tested gear .
Three out of ten is that what you mean to say?
You have every reason to be annoyed if they are regular customers of yours though!!
Hope this problem is not going to be on the increase with the way the economy is going !!
Petrol going up which sends everything else up making people less inclined to spend on luxuries such as ourselves.

Corabar Steve
26-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Three out of ten is that what you mean to say?
3 of the.

Creature is our forum's genuine dyslexic. You'll get used to it, we generally cut him some some slack as he does make the effort (unlike some claimed dyslexics on here)

Get Me A DJ
26-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Red rag to a bull time :o

I regularly get more than double that for a 2-hour KIDS birthday party :) My area is full to bursting with Sids, I kid you not.

Anyway, not wishing to stir up the hornets nest which is "you'll never get that round here"...

No, marketing isn't cheap. It can be, but that's a false economy because cheap marketing usually brings far more cheap enquiries than decent ones.

You need to decide whether to:

a) trim your costs and take the lower-paying jobs

or

b) hold (or increase) your costs and target the better-paying jobs

Option (a) is the easiest, but in the long run you'll find yourself stereotyped in much the same way Sid is, working very hard for not much return and this will erode your passion for the job. Ultimately it will break you, financially, physically or mentally.

Option (b) is the hardest. Start by revisiting (or writing) a proper business plan. Suddenly decent marketing might not seem such a big problem when you consider the returns you could achieve.

This forum is, in my experience, made up of about 90% of folks who will help you down road (b) and about 10% who will push you in the direction of (a). Keep asking questions and cherry pick the advice and you'll do well.

If your DJ'ing skills are any good that is.... :p

Wise words mate :)

simon1969
26-08-2010, 11:25 PM
3 of the.

Creature is our forum's genuine dyslexic. You'll get used to it, we generally cut him some some slack as he does make the effort (unlike some claimed dyslexics on here)

Thanks Steve Dyslexica is not a nice thing to have really knocks people's confidence especially kids ( I work with kids with these problems btw).

I think we should lobby for every mobile DJ to have PLI and P.A.T would it weed out Sids ?
Maybe we could do something to raise awareness of this problem find a central location and a big venue all day thing raise money for a good cause?!
Maybe this is a different thread!!

Dynamic Entertainment
26-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks Steve Dyslexica is not a nice thing to have really knocks people's confidence especially kids ( I work with kids with these problems btw).

I think we should lobby for every mobile DJ to have PLI and P.A.T would it weed out Sids ?
Maybe we could do something to raise awareness of this problem find a central location and a big venue all day thing raise money for a good cause?!
Maybe this is a different thread!!

Nope, it would rarely affect a Sids work even if they had to have it.

Providing a Sids gear passes a test, and in this day and age when you can get a disco light for £30....

PLI - £50
PAT @ £2.50 per item - £30

Little more than a nights work for them....

If they had to have it, they would get it and i doubt they would charge that much more for it.

simon1969
26-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Nope, it would rarely affect a Sids work even if they had to have it.

Providing a Sids gear passes a test, and in this day and age when you can get a disco light for £30....

PLI - £50
PAT @ £2.50 per item - £30

Little more than a nights work for them....

If they had to have it, they would get it and i doubt they would charge that much more for it.

O.K then what do you think would work?
A licence maybe ?!
Companies that hire out P.A. systems don't have this problem do they?
I'm paying £67.00 for 13 items for P.A.T next week btw.

Dynamic Entertainment
26-08-2010, 11:40 PM
A licence maybe ?!

£5.15ish per item...your being ripped right off pal

There will always be cowboys as there is in all traded pal.

Booche
26-08-2010, 11:47 PM
A licence maybe ?!

WHAT thought you said thirty odd items sorry i misheard you mate when you mentioned it to me, that is expensive, could always bring it down here and when i get mine done in next week or so get yours done aswell, Clouds Disco (Pete) has reccomended a really top guy who does it for a decent price per item :)

Cheers Dave :)

simon1969
26-08-2010, 11:48 PM
£5.15ish per item...your being ripped right off pal

Thanks!!
He is getting cancelled then :eek: :eek: !!!
Must have had binocaluars when I rang then :D
Thanks again!!!

Get Me A DJ
26-08-2010, 11:49 PM
A licence maybe ?!

Crying out loud that's expensive

Best thing to do is be a member of Seda or NADJ as they have discounted rates for PAT Testing gear and also PLI insurance.

simon1969
26-08-2010, 11:52 PM
WHAT thought you said thirty odd items sorry i misheard you mate when you mentioned it to me, that is expensive, could always bring it down here and when i get mine done in next week or so get yours done aswell, Clouds Disco (Pete) has reccomended a really top guy who does it for a decent price per item :)

Oh right wondered why you didn't say anything :)
Yeah i'll give you a ring saturday night and sort !!
Thanks Dave!!

simon1969
26-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Crying out loud that's expensive

Best thing to do is be a member of Seda or NADJ as they have discounted rates for PAT Testing gear and also PLI insurance.

Yeah I knew (that for once)will do, just waiting for PLI policy to run out end of October.
I feel a right :muppet: now im off for me :coat: :) glad I said now though!!
Cheers :beer1:

Booche
27-08-2010, 12:02 AM
No worries mate :)

Back on topic there was a picture which i posted when i first started on here which im sure he wouldn't have passed any PAT test also when i mentioned PLI he just looked at me and said "What's PLI" even after i explained he went "Nah mate :Censored: that it cost's to much" :eek: but in one defence he did use some good equipment lol it was just everything else.

OH and he only charged £50 lol

simon1969
27-08-2010, 12:05 AM
No worries mate :)

Back on topic there was a picture which i posted when i first started on here which im sure he wouldn't have passed any PAT test also when i mentioned PLI he just looked at me and said "What's PLI" even after i explained he went "Nah mate :Censored: that it cost's to much" :eek: but in one defence he did use some good equipment lol it was just everything else.

OH and he only charged £50 lol

What a suprise LOL !!!
But i'm not bothered with these types of people anymore Dave!!

StarZSoundS
27-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Oh right wondered why you didn't say anything :)
Yeah i'll give you a ring saturday night and sort !!
Thanks Dave!!

Can I recommend Dave Hughes (DAVESOUNDS on here).

He is quite exceptional.He'll PAT test your gear on the spot and also give you some advice on how to develope if you want to.His prices are very reasonable...but beware...he doesn't cut any corners.Don't take enything dodgy!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NKR
27-08-2010, 07:37 AM
A licence maybe ?!

Holly monkey cheese. That is a lot for PAT. £25.75 for best part of 30 items for me.

welby
27-08-2010, 08:01 AM
If you really believe that, then stop taking / investing in the kit and charge £150.

I'm not that daft - I'm got an ipod and a some plug in speakers from wilkos and I'm gonna charge £50 and wipe the competition out in one foul swoop! :eek:

I'll wind my neck back in now...lol :beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
27-08-2010, 12:32 PM
:lol:

simon1969
28-08-2010, 07:44 AM

He is quite exceptional.He'll PAT test your gear on the spot and also give you some advice on how to develope if you want to.His prices are very reasonable...but beware...he doesn't cut any corners.Don't take enything dodgy!!!

Thanks very much!!

Twinspin
29-08-2010, 01:22 PM

I better not take my active RCF's then . Theyd fail for been active :D :p

:sofa:

simon1969
29-08-2010, 04:01 PM

I havn't got anything dodgy cheeky bugger!!! :D :)

Booche
29-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I havn't got anything dodgy cheeky bugger!!! :D :)

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: