PDA

View Full Version : What is enough (bit knarked to be honest)

Dynamic Entertainment
26-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Got a feedback form from an 18th I done recently, and I'm a tad knarked to be honest (or am I just taking it to heart...)

Anyway, the week before the booking she phoned and wanted some "barn dance music", translated...they wanted Ceilidh!

I explained that I wasnt a caller, knew a couple, and that I carried one album of popular dances. The client was fine with that, and said that they could call the others.

The album I've got is this one --> Greetings from Scotland: Gordon Pattullo's Ceilidh Band: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads

Everything went well, they had St Bernards Waltz, Strip The Willow, Gay Gordons, and Dashing White Sargeant, then St Bernards waltz again to finish so she could dance with her grandfather.

Anyway, feedback form comes back, and in the "How We can Improve" section.... "have more ceilidh music"

Considering im not a caller, and only have the album as back-up usually for the Gay Gordons or Strip the willow...should it take it to heart and get some more, and if so...what?

Johnny P
26-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Got a feedback form from an 18th I done recently, and I'm a tad knarked to be honest (or am I just taking it to heart...)

Anyway, the week before the booking she phoned and wanted some "barn dance music", translated...they wanted Ceilidh!

I explained that I wasnt a caller, knew a couple, and that I carried one album of popular dances. The client was fine with that, and said that they could call the others.

The album I've got is this one --> Greetings from Scotland: Gordon Pattullo's Ceilidh Band: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001N9KGC4/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1282837481&sr=8-26)

Everything went well, they had St Bernards Waltz, Strip The Willow, Gay Gordons, and Dashing White Sargeant, then St Bernards waltz again to finish so she could dance with her grandfather.

Anyway, feedback form comes back, and in the "How We can Improve" section.... "have more ceilidh music"

Considering im not a caller, and only have the album as back-up usually for the Gay Gordons or Strip the willow...should it take it to heart and get some more, and if so...what?

Have you been asked for it much in the past?

I never have - maybe invest in another CD just in case to add a bit of variety but which one.......?

Shaun
26-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Sheesh, what more do they want?!?! There's enough popular Ceilidh dances on that album without you needing anything else.

funkymook
26-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't take it as too much of a criticism if thats all they could think of to say. Maybe a bit of questioning beforehand about what Ceilidh music they wanted/expected may have helped - though possibly they may not have had much of a clue themselves anyway!

If I ever get asked for music I haven't got (and don't know much about the genre) I get straight onto the internet and do a bit of research and make sure I add some it to my collection so I don't get caught out again.

Dynamic Entertainment
26-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Have you been asked for it much in the past?

I never have - maybe invest in another CD just in case to add a bit of variety but which one.......?
Nope, usually i only get asked for the Gay Gordons or maybe St Bernards Waltz. Whilst formal dancing isnt exactly dying out, usually when a client wants it they pay for a celildh band and caller to do it properly.

Sheesh, what more do they want?!?! There's enough popular Ceilidh dances on that album without you needing anything else.
Thanks Shaun ;)

I wouldn't take it as too much of a criticism if thats all they could think of to say. Maybe a bit of questioning beforehand about what Ceilidh music they wanted/expected may have helped - though possibly they may not have had much of a clue themselves anyway!

If I ever get asked for music I haven't got (and don't know much about the genre) I get straight onto the internet and do a bit of research and make sure I add some it to my collection so I don't get caught out again.

Cheers martin. Thats what i usually do, but the Ceilidh was an afterthought on the clients part and only wanted "a couple of popular dances".... :)

Vectis
26-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Chalk it up.

She's probably one of those people who will always find something to comment on in any situation. You know - when asked in a restaurant they'd probably mention that there was a little too much salad for their liking or not quite enough gravy :o

Next!

StarZSoundS
26-08-2010, 05:26 PM
(or am I just taking it to heart...)
How We can Improve" section.... "

If you are of the disposition the first part of my quote suggests.......Then I would either remove or reword that part of your feedback form>>>.;) ;) ;)

Mark Wild
26-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I carry no more than the favourites mate and I work up here, so don't worry. I don't call either, it's something I'm going to learn though, it is actually a lot of fun and if done at the beginning of the night helps the guests endear to you quicker I should think.

My aunty Agnes in Broxburn teaches Scottish dancing and I've booked her services as an add on for 4 of next years weddings already.

I think some people receive a feed back form and feel the need to have a crack at something, it would be rather boring if they all came back perfect no? lol

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Pfft..

Move on not worth worrying about IMO.

simon1969
26-08-2010, 08:56 PM
So what do you have to call out then havn't a clue about this sort of thing?! :confused:

Dynamic Entertainment
26-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Basically its giving instruction on how they dance to it.

There are others on here who can describe it better. ;)

simon1969
26-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Oh right I see thanks !!! :) :)

Dynamic Entertainment
26-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Oh right I see thanks !!! :) :)

Not really ceilidh...but it always reminds me of this (sorry if i offend anyone) ;)

YouTube- Bugs Bunny's square dance in 'Hillbilly Hare' (best quality + subtitles!).mp4

Corabar Steve
26-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Not really ceilidh...but it always reminds me of this (sorry if i offend anyone) ;)

YouTube- Bugs Bunny's square dance in 'Hillbilly Hare' (best quality + subtitles!).mp4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQGSsI87kA)
Funnily enough, I mentioned this clip to Alan yesterday.

simon1969
26-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for video get it now :D :D !!!

Paul The Party Dj
27-08-2010, 06:35 AM

They probably wrote it with a smile on their face - not meaning to be harsh at all - like a joke between the two of you (that's not funny to you). Just try and let it go.

Well done for having a go - I couldn't / wouldn't!

Cheers, Paul ;o)

Mark Wild
27-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Within a few hours of this thread I've had 2 enquiries for a DJ who calls Ceilidh, amazing and coincidental huh ! lol

rob1963
27-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Within a few hours of this thread I've had 2 enquiries for a DJ who calls Ceilidh

And do you?

Mark Wild
27-08-2010, 11:46 AM
And do you?

My aunty Agnes in Broxburn teaches Scottish dancing and I've booked her services as an add on for 4 of next years weddings already.

Personally no, but if my Aunty is available yes, she wasn't for one of the enquiries and I was already booked for the other.