PDA

View Full Version : Just finished

Richie
01-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I have just finished my company website, let me know what you think.

http://www.bigondesign.co.uk/

Corabar Steve
01-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I like it.

rob1963
01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I like it.

+1

Charlie Brown
01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
What a cracking website!

Megamix
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Clean, Bright, Fun, Clear - excellent - if this takes off, you will no longer be a tramp

discomobiledj
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I like the fact that everything is on one page.

Like the monster but not sure on it if you know what I mean!

Corabar Entertainment
01-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Like it Richie.... monster and all! :D

Alex
01-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Richie,

I really like the use of jquery instead of flash and love the colour scheme.

:)

Just one thing... with it all being on one page, how do you optimise your site for search engines?

Paul The Party Dj
01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I love this format - like the one you put up the other week - clean, funky, cool.
Well done.

Shaun
01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Love it. :thumbsup:

Corabar Entertainment
01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Just one thing Richie: wouldn't you be better having the examples of websites you've built opening in a new window rather than taking people off your site?

Richie
01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the comments :)

Just one thing... with it all being on one page, how do you optimise your site for search engines?

I wouldn't build a site in this way if there was lots of content, but for minmal sites it is OK.

As far as optimisation, my view is that the search engine companies spend lots of resources improving their algorythms to bring the best results to users. This means that they try to detect when people are spamming or trying to lislead them.

I personally utilize what is available such as using header tags correctly and making sure that the site where possible validates with W3C.

(Although this one fails on the CSS check as I have chosen to use the rounded corners features in my CSS)

I then place my keywords within the site but ensuring that it all makes sense to anyone reading it.

I find the biggest factor is getting good quality, relevant inbound links.

Jiggles
01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I love it! :D HUGE improvement from the dull thing you had before. :D

Richie
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Just one thing Richie: wouldn't you be better having the examples of websites you've built opening in a new window rather than taking people off your site?

I would but as I have validated to XHTML Strict, the tag 'target="_blank"' is not allowed. Their reasoning is that the user should decide what they want to do with the links.

Richie
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I love it! :D HUGE improvement from the dull thing you had before. :D

Totally agree, I dont know what I was thinking before, hence the rebuild as the last one was truly pants :)

Corabar Entertainment
01-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I would but as I have validated to XHTML Strict, the tag 'target="_blank"' is not allowed. Their reasoning is that the user should decide what they want to do with the links.
Oooh.... they're getting very picky, aren't they! :lol:

Richie
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Oooh.... they're getting very picky, aren't they! :lol:

Tell me about it, have you seen some of the new features that will be available with HTML5 and CSS3?

Some pretty cool stuff :)

Jiggles
01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Tell me about it, have you seen some of the new features that will be available with HTML5 and CSS3?

Some pretty cool stuff :)

I have started building some sites that are HTML5 and CSS3. I love the <video> tags! So much better than flash! :D

Richie
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I have started building some sites that are HTML5 and CSS3. I love the <video> tags! So much better than flash! :D

Yeah that makes things sooooo much easier. The only problem is that when it is officially launched, there will still be muppets using old browsers.

Marc J
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Do it with Javascript :)

Richie
01-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes I think I will. Cheers.

Off to make some adjustments

Corabar Entertainment
01-09-2010, 01:05 PM
I had seen something about the <video> tags, but not looked much into it all as yet.

Richie
01-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I had seen something about the <video> tags, but not looked much into it all as yet.

http://slides.html5rocks.com

View the above in Google Chrome

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I'll be the first then...

I don't like it. It looks like a kids website - very cartoony.

Who is your market for this Richie?

DeckstarDeluxe
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
yeah sorry I didn't wanna say anything negative Richie but I did wonder about how well it was designed for your potential clients?

Nothing wrong with the design/layout but not for your market?

Shaun
01-09-2010, 01:39 PM
To me the design shows it's a company that "thinks outside the box", as the design is a huge step away from the usual run of the mill clichéd designs. I think that's why it appeals to me.

CRAZY K
01-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I have just finished my company website, let me know what you think.

http://www.bigondesign.co.uk/

The one page idea is clever--does that mean Google crawls over the whole site in one go rather than just in most cases the index home page only?

Interesting strategy and definitely different, I dont know how a Disco Website would look that included a lot of information, booking forms,
T and Cs and piccies.:confused:

Then again this isnt a DJ site;)

Good one:beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
01-09-2010, 02:28 PM
To me the design shows it's a company that "thinks outside the box", as the design is a huge step away from the usual run of the mill clichéd designs. I think that's why it appeals to me.
I agree: plus the samples of work done shows a wide variety of styles, and that you're not just a 'one-trick-pony'

Richie
01-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Exactly what I set out to do. All the competition in my area all look pretty much the same. I wanted this site to stand out from the crowd.

I think it says that we are willing to do something different from the usual stuff out there.

The reason behind the cartoon graphics is for the vibrant colours and not the usual americanised stock photography.

I have found a design that Darren may like http://www.worldsmostboringwebsite.com/ :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I have found a design that Darren may like http://www.worldsmostboringwebsite.com/ :)

Yep, loving that one - much better. :D

Richie
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Thought so PMSL :)

Marc J
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I quite like it, although I personally wouldn't have included the Personalisation Agenda website as an example site as it's design is too close to your own.

Another reason I wouldn't include them (and also the SLK site) is that there's a relationship between the companies. I think a portfolio should have only "proper" fee paying customers - it can work against you including your own or related sites.

On the subject of the portfolio, I'd add a tooltip like http://flowplayer.org/tools/tooltip/index.html as there isn't actually any info other than the small screenshot to go on. That one's quite easy to use, and works well with the sibling fade effect you've used.

Marc J
01-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Richie - since you're using jQuery anyway this'd be a neater way to open links in a new window: -

$(document).ready(function() {
$('a[rel="external"]').click( function() {
window.open( $(this).attr('href') );
return false;
});
});

Also, picky I know but I'd use Google's hosted jQuery (http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js) instead of your own copy, as there's then a chance that the visitor has it cached and so quicker load times.

Richie
02-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Cheers Marc :)

Much appreciated

James
02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Like the site mate, a lot

Just one thing, i may be wrong in saying this but is ecommerce, supposed to reade e-commerce?

Marc J
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Just one thing, i may be wrong in saying this but is ecommerce, supposed to reade e-commerce?

Not really - I think ecommerce, e-commerce, eCommerce or e-Commerce are all fine (I personally use eCommerce mostly).

Richie
02-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Updated now and I have also changes the recent work page to fade from grayscale to colour as I thought before it looked a bit too busy.

I will be replacing the jobs soon and taking out some of the sites. I have a couple of sites in progress at the moment which will take their place. I think I will only have 9 showing at any one time and replace them with either the latest or best designs.

Richie
20-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Just a quick update for those interested in the outcome from the new design. The new site has been live now for just a couple of weeks.

The old site was up for a whole year and I only had 1 enquiry all year.

The new design has got me 4 enquiries within 2 weeks that have all resulted in work.

Corabar Entertainment
20-09-2010, 05:45 PM
:thumbsup:

Corabar Steve
20-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Cool :steve: