PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Formula (Tried and Tested) - Advice for newbies

leelive
03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I have done over 300 weddings since 2005 and have found that this formula always works.

I am keen to see if any other DJ has a winning formula that they are happy to share for the benefit of newbies.

I have also added a Check List below.

Play 50s Jive after First Dances
Then Motown
Then anything modern/chart.
After that play requests for the rest of the night
Play slows songs during the buffet.
Save the Ceilidh dances until after the buffet (Scottish only)
Play a couple of love songs 1hour before the end.
Save 80s Rock request for the last half hour.

Of course there is a lot more to it than this.. and this won't work for all weddings as some are crafted to meet the special requirements of the B&G and also if the party starts really late.

In my book the party does not begin until after the First Dances. I usually have the latest Pro Disc playing very quitely as background until the then as it is called the First Dance for a reason. It is normally played within 30mins the start.

Here is a check list.
Ensure no coaches are booked to take the guests away before the scheduled end.
Ensure you know what songs are on the B&Gs banned list.
Check that all the Bridal party are ready before announcing the First Dance. You don't want the mums and dads etc to be left out.
Ask the couple after the buffet how they would like to end the evening. A Scottish Wedding would have Dignity, Loch Lomond (live), Caledonia, Auld Lang Syne etc.....

Lee Live
www.lee-live.com

Danno13
03-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I've done probably the same number of Weddings in the same time and don't think I could come up with a forumula that would have worked at every one of them.

Vectis
03-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I've done probably the same number of Weddings in the same time and don't think I could come up with a forumula that would have worked at every one of them.

:agree:

My weddings are 100% customised and for pre-event meetings I have a checklist with, and I just counted, 127 aspects which need answers. That doesn't translate into 127 questions; the majority can be answered just from a 10 minute general chat.

But the OP isn't a bad starting point for anyone new to wedding DJ'ing :beer1: So long as you remember it's not a blueprint.

Corabar Steve
03-09-2010, 09:13 AM
...so that they can do some vigorous dancing while they've got a full belly

rob1963
03-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Then Motown

I don't think I've ever done ANY of this!

+1

I do different stuff each time, depending on various factors.

For example, after the first dance I'll sometimes play one or two more slow ones, and I'll sometimes go straight into something faster.

The faster song might be from the 70's, 80's or might be recent, and what I follow it with will always be different.

I admit there are a number of songs I play at most weddings, but I could play them at any time in the evening. It's different each time.

soundtracker
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm with Dan & Rob as well, although I can see the benefits of your framework for novices.

Megamix
03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I guess most DJs here have a 'guideline' as opposed to a 'formula' and then adjust it accordingly.

Jonathan Ford
03-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Every event is a blank canvas, as others have said. There may be some songs I play more frequently than others, but rarely at the same time. There are also combinations of songs I frequently play together (for example, "Mr. Brightside", followed by "Everyday I Love You Less and Less", followed by "Chelsea Dagger")...but I certainly don't have a formula, nor would I advocate one.

DazzyD
03-09-2010, 10:27 AM

I, too, agree with Danno.

Our slogan is "Your Day, Your Way" and this wouldn't be true if we stuck to a formula. Every client is different and every bride deserves to have her big day just the way she wants it.

But, on saying that, I have put together guides which offer inspiration for when things aren't quite going as hoped. Nothing is ever set in stone, though.

Shakermaker Promotions
03-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't have a tried and tested formula as in my opinion, all weddings (and functions in general) are different and therefore treated so.

I've lost count the amount of weddings I have done and as I said, each of them has been different.

In your list (OP) you say (for example), "Save 80's Rock Requests for the last half hour"...I'm not too sure how you can make statements like this? Ok, these methods are tried and tested for you but I have had times where I have had people asking me "When are you going to play ****** and ******?"... If I went by your list then I would be saying to the people requesting, "They'll be on in the last half hour" which I wouldn't be comfortable with.

I have had grannies this year singing the chorus to 'Sex on Fire' just as loudly as everyone else. I have had the dancefloor clear on songs like 'Dancing Queen' so I play it by ear on the night and also work off the requests I have in adcance.

What I DO do is this... I always ask in advance what the age range is going to be. If there are a few 'oldies' at the wedding then what I will do is play to them first because (in my experience), they are the ones that go out with a pre-concieved idea that they won't enjoy themselves because it will be loud music and flashing lights and the DJ will play what THEY want to play. Now, I'm not making that statement out of the blue...I have had 'oldies' mention it to me before.

The way I look at it is this (depending on the age range) - After the first dance(s) I can go one of 2 ways. I can either go straight into the charty stuff that will get the majority of people up (Scissor Sisters, BEP, Lady Gaga etc) or I can go into Motown, 60's and 70's and build up to the charty stuff if there are a few 'oldies' there. The thing I have noticed is that Motown, 60's etc will get lots of people up and not just the 'oldies' but it's the 'oldies' I want to keep happy at first. Even if they are only up for half an hour, it keeps them happy. It's nice when you get people praising you after an event but in my opinion, even nicer when you get someone older praise you because I have achieved what I wanted to and proved that I am not that DJ that will ignore what they want.

Ok, it doesn't always work and you can't MAKE people dance but you can have a good go!

Excalibur
03-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Gary:
:bowdown: :youdaman:

I don't necessarily do everything you said, but I can't disagree with a word. I agreed with almost all of the replies before you, but this is the definitive reply.

rob1963
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I agreed with almost all of the replies before you

Even mine?

:jawdrop:

Excalibur
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Even mine?

:jawdrop:

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, I can't take issue with anything you posted.

DeckstarDeluxe
03-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Yep I can see why you use that formula Lee and dont have any major issue with what you have said.

Saying that last saturdays wedding was a full on cheese fest (even had the birdie song requested). A week earlier I would of been hung for playing anything cheesier than gaga.

CRAZY K
03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
:eek:
I have done over 300 weddings since 2005 and have found that this formula always works.

I am keen to see if any other DJ has a winning formula that they are happy to share for the benefit of newbies.

I have also added a Check List below.

Then Motown

Of course there is a lot more to it than this.. and this won't work for all weddings as some are crafted to meet the special requirements of the B&G and also if the party starts really late.

In my book the party does not begin until after the First Dances. I usually have the latest Pro Disc playing very quitely as background until the then as it is called the First Dance for a reason. It is normally played within 30mins the start.

Here is a check list.
Ensure no coaches are booked to take the guests away before the scheduled end.
Ensure you know what songs are on the B&Gs banned list.
Check that all the Bridal party are ready before announcing the First Dance. You don't want the mums and dads etc to be left out.
Ask the couple after the buffet how they would like to end the evening. A Scottish Wedding would have Dignity, Loch Lomond (live), Caledonia, Auld Lang Syne etc.....

Lee Live
www.lee-live.com

Congratulations on still being a Wedding DJ after so many similar functions in 5 years --I think I would have lost the will to live;)

What kept you going--does it begin with M :D :D :D

I got bored in the 70s and changed what I was doing--over one Wedding on average a week.

However Im sure this post will help budding Wedding DJs.

My only comment would be I am surprised you put the Ceilidh dances on the backburner--if you can do a few I would have thought do them early doors straight after the First dance and really wind the Party up--however I guess if your not selling the show on that---as I do--its not appropriate.

I dont work in Scotland but do a fair few Weddings for the Scots down here.