PDA

View Full Version : Ramada Hotel - East Horsley

Shakermaker Promotions
12-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Anyone been to this venue before?

If you haven't, be prepared!

I turned up at the venue this morning (as arranged with the wedding co-ordinator) to set up for tonights wedding.

I was told on arrival that I would not be able to use my own sound system and would have to go through the hotels sound system instead. Ok..not what I like doing but fair enough.

Then I noticed that there is a sound limiter!

The Groom was with me and wasn't impressed by this once I explained what sound limiters do etc etc but was then amazed (like myself) when we were both told by the wedding co-ordinator that the windows and doors would have to remain closed throughout the evening otherwise a big orange light would flash and the sound would go off!!

I also left the hotel this morning without doing a sound check as the person that looks after the box that has all the correct leads in order to plug into their system (speakers in the roof above dancefloor) was not in until the evening.

This has put me on a downer straight away before I even start.

Anyone been here?
Anyone on here the resident DJ? and How do you cope with this?

:bang:

Excalibur
12-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Anyone been to this venue before?

If you haven't, be prepared!

I also left the hotel this morning without doing a sound check as the person that looks after the box that has all the correct leads in order to plug into their system (speakers in the roof above dancefloor) was not in until the evening.

You what? :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I'd have been rooting through the Bag of Tricks. I'd also have been surprised if I couldn't patch into the :Censored:y thing. ;)

Shakermaker Promotions
12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I had a butchers but the system is locked.
I said I wasn't impressed.
I carry a box with all kinds of leads that can be customised etc so there will be a way of doing it. I'm just surprised that I arranged a time to be there so you would have thought that the person in charge of the 'box' would've been there too.

I am never happy going away from a venue not soundchecking. It was my main reason for going early!

Steve Cheese
12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I have played there, but it was years ago. they didn't have an install then.

I have played a similar venue recently though with an in house sound and lighting system.
I knew about it in advance and viewed it as a bonus as didn't have to take all my sound and lighting.
I could have used my own though if I had wanted.

The only obstacle I had was that there was no room for my play out console in the DJ Booth. I had to get my screwdriver out and remove my Dac3, Maya44 etc and fit them into the rack with the house mixer and CD players.
I then plonked the laptop to one side and all was fine.

There was sound limiter equipment installed but it did not seem to be powered up.

rob1963
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey Gary...stop encroaching onto my territory!

Having said that, I've never worked at this venue before, which is surprising, as it's only about 15 miles from me.

As it happens, a few months back I had an enquiry for a wedding disco at this venue, but they never came back to me. Sounds like I had a very lucky escape!

I hope things go better than you expect them to.

Shakermaker Promotions
12-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Cheers for the comments guys!
I hope it goes to plan aswell Rob. Sunday weddings are weird ones to me. I've done a few and they are 50/50...Sometimes it's as if people can't relax as they know they have to go to work the next day and then sometimes they are mad!

I'll be getting there early to make sure this sound situation is sorted out.

Steve the DJ
12-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I have never played at the venue before, mainly because I heard so many horror stories about it from other DJs, so it is on my banned list!

Good luck!

Shakermaker Promotions
12-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for being honest.
No doubt I will post a review afterwards.

rob1963
12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I have never played at the venue before, mainly because I heard so many horror stories about it from other DJs, so it is on my banned list!

It's just been added to mine as well.

Shakermaker Promotions
12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Steve - Could you elaborate please and give me some kind of idea so I'm prepared. That's the point of this thread so it would be appreciated.

Steve the DJ
12-09-2010, 03:20 PM
The usual nightmares I'm afraid, people opening doors and windows (in hotter weather admittedly), and the sound system is so poor it makes you look and feel bad.

That said the last time I know someone worked there was about a year ago, so they may have upgraded the system.

mikeee
12-09-2010, 09:20 PM
The manager, I believe also has a sound meter :D

If you think "out of the box" it's not that bad, but they do have very serious nieghbour problems. I was there earlier this year, and yes sound has to be kept quite low, but no problem for a professional. Their system had a fault so I had to use mine and after doing a sound check they were more than happy, even more so when they asked if it would go any lower so the doors could be opened (OK my headphones were louder).
I would be more than happy to work there again.

Corabar Entertainment
13-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Don't you find though, Mikeee, that the issue with low-set limiters is not YOUR volume, but the fact that if you get the crowd going, their singing along, etc is what sets it off?

If it was just a straight link to your system volume, I doubt that many DJs would have a problem - but how do you regulate the volume of the guests? :confused:

mikeee
13-09-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't believe it's a "sound limiter" as such. The hotel have a unit in the corner that you plug your console into, which feeds the speakers above the dance floor and this system is at a preset level, the only real downside is the doors and windows are "alarmed" so that the sound goes off. I can't say what the levels are because the night I was there the unit wasn't working, so I had to use my Carlsbro's, the DM checked my sound, and he said it was OK. The bad news was, it was during the "hot" spell and most people wanted to be outside, so at 10.00 after much chatting with the management, the groom said that if I could keep the volume down, they would open the doors, so another quick sound check, doors open, all were happy. It did feel a little strange at first, but I was employed as a DJ to play music, and thats what I did, the volume didn't come into the equation.

Shakermaker Promotions
13-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Well...thanks for the information Mikee and yes, as you said...as a professional I coped!

I didn't like it at all though!

The one positive was that the system (as you rightly said) was not a sound limiter as such so guests cheering and clapping did not affect it at all. I can only describe the volume they have it set at as just a tad more than background music. I took out some of the EQ on the Bass on the mixer to try and help but it didn't make a lot of difference.

I actually have neck ache this morning from where I kept having to look behind me to check that the lights on the system weren't going into the red. Also just to confirm (and it's a bit annoying), if the system does go into the red for too long (it happened once), the volume just goes right down for a few seconds (may as well go right off) and then gradually comes back.

Overall, nice and friendly staff, very helpful. I was complimented on my equipment by the DM looking after the sound system and also by the staff on the music. (more on that in 'Good Gig, Bad Gig').

It's funny aswell because on a number of occasions I noticed people actually moving across the dancefloor to get directly beneath the speakers so that they could hear the music properly!

Would I go back? Not sure about that...I like to be in control of my own volume to be fair. It's common sense really and if you are told to keep it down a bit then you should adhere to that. Yes, Mikee....I am a DJ too mate and I am also there to play music...BUT...having the volume control out of my control, in my opinion, affects the performance. The DM said that they had received various warnings from the council over the past couple of weeks and a new system had been put in so maybe....just maybe, the levels have been set even lower than when you were there?

Steve the DJ
12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, well, well, I have received an enquiry for a Wedding at this venue!

I've already told the potential client why I may not be able to do it but I said I would check the details first before confirming.

I've left a message for the Wedding Co-ordinator to check if there is still an install you have to use before I turn it down (if you pardon the pun...), has anyone else been to this venue since Gary?

I'm not adverse to using installed equipment as long as it is not detrimental to the party but I have heard so many bad things about the volume level at this place I just don't want to even try and work round it TBH.

CRAZY K
12-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I have heard so many bad things about the volume level at this place I just don't want to even try and work round it TBH.

Very sensible.

All you will do is probably ruin your reputation.

I would suggest being careful about any comments in case of legal problems from the Hotel---just say you dont do Sound Limited premises rather than any suggestion there is a specific problem--they always say in these circumstances---

No one else has mentioned it ----which in my experience is a guarantee they have:daft:

No amount of---its not my fault---ever makes up for a problem on the First Dance.:eek:

I have been sound limiter free now for 8 months.:beer1:

Long may it last.

Shakermaker Promotions
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Sorry I am late on this one....I was just checking this Venue Discussion part of the forum because I have been on the phone this morning to another one that has a sound limiter installed.

As said above, I try to refuse gigs at venues with Sound Limiters or Volume issues. I always ask the enquirer now aswell and advise when I can.

Steve the DJ
04-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Well, time to bring this one full circle. :)

I've just been to this venue to meet the clients I mentioned before on the basis that they really want me and understand the sound situation is a nightmare but they appreciate I have been honest about my reservations from the outset.

So I arrive and get chatting with the General Manager about the audio situation and he confirms you have to use the inbuilt system in the "Club House", which is basically 4 surround sound speakers from a Hi-Fi system... :headphones:

However, they have started doing things differently and many of the Wedding packages they sell now have the Wedding Breakfast in the Restaurant at the front of the hotel and the Reception in a function suite to the rear, where they no longer make you plug in to the house system.

So if you do have enquiries in the future for this venue you need to check which room you are in. If it is the restaurant or "Club House" (where the main bar is) at the front of the hotel then you are stuffed. If you are in the function suite at the rear, you are in the clear. :)

So who said client meetings aren't important? :D

Mind you, I would be surprised if anyone get's much work there as they sewn up tighter than a tight thing by Orange Entertainments, the local shark who charges £350 and pays a DJ £125...

:eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, time to bring this one full circle. :)

I've just been to this venue to meet the clients I mentioned before on the basis that they really want me and understand the sound situation is a nightmare but they appreciate I have been honest about my reservations from the outset.

So I arrive and get chatting with the General Manager about the audio situation and he confirms you have to use the inbuilt system in the "Club House", which is basically 4 surround sound speakers from a Hi-Fi system... :headphones:

However, they have started doing things differently and many of the Wedding packages they sell now have the Wedding Breakfast in the Restaurant at the front of the hotel and the Reception in a function suite to the rear, where they no longer make you plug in to the house system.

So if you do have enquiries in the future for this venue you need to check which room you are in. If it is the restaurant or "Club House" (where the main bar is) at the front of the hotel then you are stuffed. If you are in the function suite at the rear, you are in the clear. :)

So who said client meetings aren't important? :D

Mind you, I would be surprised if anyone get's much work there as they sewn up tighter than a tight thing by Orange Entertainments, the local shark who charges £350 and pays a DJ £125...

£100 in some cases...

Steve the DJ
05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
£100 in some cases...

It was funny when I told the venue manager that a lot of DJs had blacklisted the hotel because of the sound situation to which he said "That's OK, Orange Entertainments send me DJs".

"Keep an eye on that..." said I, "...because many DJs have them blacklisted as well!".