PDA

View Full Version : Receiving payment by online bank transfer

rob1963
13-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Until this year, I can only recall one occasion when a client wanted to pay by online bank transfer rather than cash or cheque.

However, I've already had four of these this year alone. One client said they wanted to pay online due to not having a cheque book, and presumably the others just found it more convenient.

As a result of this, I've had to amend my website & template letters to state that in addition to cash & cheques, online bank transfers are also a payment option.

From my point of view, I'd rather people paid online anyway. Firstly, it saves me trip to the bank to pay the cheques in, and secondly it's cheaper than cheques, as my bank charges are partly based on a fee for each item paid in, and automatic items (like online transfers) are charged at a lower rate than manual items (such as cheques).

I was just wondering whether the rest of you are having a significant increase recently in the number of clients paying by online bank transfer, and what sort of percentage of your clients now make payment this way?

djdave01
13-09-2010, 09:42 AM
i get a few people a year wanting to use bank transfers to pay and im happy to do that for the same reasons as Rob.

ive also added a Paypal option to my online booking service so people can pay there deposits that way, around 40% of new clients use it.

Rowleys
13-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I looked in to this. But i found it was to much money

If you do find anythink please let me know

Vectis
13-09-2010, 09:43 AM
For the last couple of years the vast majority have paid by PayPal or BACS.

I've paid 7 cheques into my bank account since I opened it in Jan 2008.

I'd say without checking that around 70% of payments have been PayPal, 25% BACS and 4.something% cash.

rob1963
13-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm not keen to go down the Paypal route due to the charges.

I wouldn 't want to increase my prices across the board to incorporate these charges, I wouldn't want to absorb the charges myself & I wouldn't want to pass the charge onto individual clients wanting to pay this way.

Therefore, it's online bank transfers all the way. After all, how many people don't have online banking these days?

The other advantage of online bank transfers which I forgot to mention is that they're quicker, sometimes arriving within 24 hours & can then be withdrawn immediately, rather than having to wait a fair few days for a cheque to clear.

Rowleys
13-09-2010, 10:01 AM
i'm starting to use "nochex.com"

That take card payments with out the clint need to sign up

rob1963
13-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Does nochex say "Go ahead punk, make my day"?

:D

Corabar Steve
13-09-2010, 10:33 AM

:sj:

Corabar Steve
13-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Does nochex say "Go ahead punk, make my day"?

I did that one yesterday (with illustration http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28537) it seems the message didn't get through.:bang:

yourdj
13-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I get about 99% bookings paid online.

50% paypal, 50% bank transfer.

I like paypal as it emails me to tell me i have funds and who from. I can then store that emai as a record. I often have clients transfering money without telling me who, what and where.

I currently have £390 of money and do not know who paid it :confused:

djdave01
13-09-2010, 11:01 AM
i agree that paypal is an expensive option, but i only accept it for deposit payments so its only a small amount.

the balance due has to be paid by Bacs, cheque or cash unless the client is happy to cover the paypal charges.

Spirits High
13-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm finding a much greater take up on BACS payments this year and I actively encourage it.

Much more efficent for both me and my clients.

rob1963
13-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I get about 99% bookings paid online.

:jawdrop:

I currently have £390 of money and do not know who paid it :confused:

Sorry Toby, that was from me. I sent it to you in error. Please return it through Paypal to [email protected].

Ta muchly!

:whistle: :D :D :D

I'm finding a much greater take up on BACS payments this year and I actively encourage it.

Much more efficent for both me and my clients.

:agree:

CRAZY K
14-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Until this year, I can only recall one occasion when a client wanted to pay by online bank transfer rather than cash or cheque.

However, I've already had four of these this year alone. One client said they wanted to pay online due to not having a cheque book, and presumably the others just found it more convenient.

As a result of this, I've had to amend my website & template letters to state that in addition to cash & cheques, online bank transfers are also a payment option.

From my point of view, I'd rather people paid online anyway. Firstly, it saves me trip to the bank to pay the cheques in, and secondly it's cheaper than cheques, as my bank charges are partly based on a fee for each item paid in, and automatic items (like online transfers) are charged at a lower rate than manual items (such as cheques).

I was just wondering whether the rest of you are having a significant increase recently in the number of clients paying by online bank transfer, and what sort of percentage of your clients now make payment this way?

Thought you would be getting FREE banking Rob:confused:

Been offering this for a while--however presently a large percentage STILL SEND A CHEQUE through my wifes agency.

Card payment over the phone is certainly the way BUT I CANT JUSTIFY IT JUST YET ON COST==also payment by card on line is good as well.

Angela ( Corabar ) reminded me an advantage of credit card payment is the customer has consumer protection if you dont turn up---as in --

im not paying you upfront cos you might not turn up:eek: Sorted;)

Must admit I kopped a heavy deposit from a customer recently who was a bit concerned over the aspect of whether I might go bankrupt and wanted to pay by card.

Unfortunately had to tell her--cant do that--TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT;)

Definitely one to look at next year.

Leicester Ben
14-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I've been accepting BACS for a while now and it is becoming more and more popular.

I have just signed up for a virtual terminal however that will allow me to take credit / debit card payments over the phone and online which will make my life a lot easier and hopefully more convenient for my clients. Its not too expensive either which is a bonus!

Charlie Brown
14-09-2010, 11:41 AM
60% Paypal
40% Cheaque.

rob1963
14-09-2010, 12:12 PM
60% Paypal
40% Cheaque.

I know the first, but I've not come across the second one, Charlie!

yourdj
14-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Sorry Toby, that was from me. I sent it to you in error. Please return it through Paypal to [email protected].

Ta muchly!

Oh ok I will send them now :p

Corabar Entertainment
14-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I have just signed up for a virtual terminal
Who have you got the virtual terminal with Ben?

Leicester Ben
14-09-2010, 12:43 PM
With CardSave, they seem pretty good and I'm doing there Christmas Party so if it isnt a good product I'll play them rubbish songs all night :)

Corabar Entertainment
14-09-2010, 12:44 PM
:lol:

yourdj
14-09-2010, 12:51 PM
CardSave virtual terminal

Is it much better?

I suppose it works out cheaper than paypal :confused:

I might go for something like this as its far more efficient and saves the client time and effort too. :)

Leicester Ben
14-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I only registered last week and it takes 21 days to go live so I cant comment on how good it is yet, it looks good though.

£50 + VAT set up
£25+ VAT a month
20p per debit card transaction
2.something % credit card charge

For the amount of transactions that I put through each month its well worth it.

CRAZY K
14-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I've been accepting BACS for a while now and it is becoming more and more popular.

I have just signed up for a virtual terminal however that will allow me to take credit / debit card payments over the phone and online which will make my life a lot easier and hopefully more convenient for my clients. Its not too expensive either which is a bonus!

How expensive Ben===roughly?

Sorry ignore me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

:jawdrop:

Ta muchly!

Rob you fibber--you know it was me;)

yourdj
14-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I only registered last week and it takes 21 days to go live so I cant comment on how good it is yet, it looks good though.

£50 + VAT set up
£25+ VAT a month
20p per debit card transaction
2.something % credit card charge

For the amount of transactions that I put through each month its well worth it.

So its not amount variable? If i get a payment for £20 and then another for £400 then i owe them 40p from debit transaction (plus monthly charge). :confused:

can i incorporate it into my website - so clients can do it themselves

and.. does it email you when you have been paid?