PDA

View Full Version : First job on my new terms

CRAZY K
14-09-2010, 11:07 AM
My new terms are (after the debacle at Portsmouth) from an actual quotation today to a new client--

Please note I do not offer my services at any Hotel or Venue which uses Sound Limiters as this prevents me from presenting a Professional performance.

The quote was accepted but im going to ring the Hotel to check anyway--just in case.

I have decided--

NO MORE SOUND LIMITERS

.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dynamic Entertainment
14-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Surely though as they become more and more common you will do yourself out of work?

My terms are less restrictive in that we cannot be held responsible for tripping limiters out.

paulg
14-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Yep, much better to learn to work with sound limiters (or at least tolerate them). They are becoming much more common. I ask the venue if they've informed their client that limiters are in place and have explained what that means in terms of max sound levels.

Turning your back on them is a bit like saying I'm not working in certain venues because they've banned smoke and my lighting effects don't look as professional as they once did. Things change - although seldom for the better!

rob1963
14-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Surely though as they become more and more common you will do yourself out of work?

My terms are less restrictive in that we cannot be held responsible for tripping limiters out.

Steve,

It only takes one complete nightmare with a sound limiter for someone to change their policy & refuse to work with these devices (possibly with the exception of venues they already know).

In Crazy's case, it was the gig he recently posted about, in my case it was a limiter with a mind of it's own which cut the power half way through the first dance.

You've obviously been lucky until now, but I'm sure that you'll change your policy if you have an experience like Crazy or myself.

The following is from my FAQs: Sound limiters cut the disco's power if the volume exceeds a pre-set level, but are often set too low. They can also be triggered by singing, cheering or clapping. This may spoil the evening and also cause damage to our equipment. Therefore, we don't usually accept bookings in buildings with these devices, so please inform us if your venue has one.

yourdj
14-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I had one the other day (traffic light one) and i unplugged the bins and took out allot of the mid. it actually sounded OK and everyone had a great night.

The owner could not understand why it was so loud and it was still only half way on the dial :p He had a portable tester thing too. :D

in my case it was a limiter with a mind of it's own which cut the power half way through the first dance.

I had that at my residency. The people clapping on first dance were tripping it. it was a cheap one.
I ended up trailing an XLR extension across the ceiling and putting the mic bit out the window as it tripped four times in ten mins.
I was only playing it at low level :) They have since removed it.

I usually ask a venue manager to plug in somewhere else and still adhere to the limiter. most of the time they are OK.

CRAZY K
14-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I had one the other day (traffic light one) and i unplugged the bins and took out allot of the mid. it actually sounded OK and everyone had a great night.

The owner could not understand why it was so loud and it was still only half way on the dial :p He had a portable tester thing too. :D

I had that at my residency. The people clapping on first dance were tripping it. it was a cheap one.
I ended up trailing an XLR extension across the ceiling and putting the mic bit out the window as it tripped four times in ten mins.
I was only playing it at low level :) They have since removed it.

I usually ask a venue manager to plug in somewhere else and still adhere to the limiter. most of the time they are OK.

What may not be appreciated is my job involves 95 per cent mike work with large peaks and troughs on the volume levels so its almost impossible for me to moderate my show to a uniform sound level--- it relies on sudden bursts of noise---yeeeeeeeha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you underestimate the problem.

i played at one Hall where they were absolutely PARANOID and said the place could be closed down and people would lose jobs if there was a complaint--as it happens it had a pathetic limiter which ruined the whole evening.

However the straw in Portsmouth that broke my back was a Hall last week where the caretaker would have realised it was too loud compared to normal if I did a bypass--that and a visit from an angry neighbour over the road:eek:

The caretaker would lose his job probably etc if they banned all music--which actually they should of course other than a tea dance.:bang:

Im aware that there are ways round the limiter--HOWEVER what I wondered was what happens if a neighbour complains or they call the SOUND POLICE.

I just found out:eek:

Possible £500 fine for the "ORGANISER" and we know what the T and Cs for the venue would probably do--make the CLIENT RESPONSIBLE.

He might ask the DJ to pay the fine if there was any bypassing going on dont you reckon;)

See here---
http://www.limetechnologies.co.uk/

To answer Dynamic--fair point re reducing my work----but next year im slowing things down anyway a bit so im increasing prices and not touching Sound Limiters--that should make my life a lot easier:D

Nuff said im happy not playing at Sound Limiter gigs anymore and I have 4 booked already for next year which are "clean" venues.:beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-09-2010, 12:58 PM
What may not be appreciated is my job involves 95 per cent mike work with large peaks and troughs on the volume levels so its almost impossible for me to moderate my show to a uniform sound level--- it relies on sudden bursts of noise---yeeeeeeeha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Translated...

"Crazy K is bleedin' loud and doesn't really need a mic"

:sj:

CRAZY K
14-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Translated...

"Crazy K is bleedin' loud and doesn't really need a mic"

:sj:

So who told you that Darren:confused:

:sofa: :sofa: :sofa: :sofa:

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-09-2010, 01:07 PM
So who told you that Darren:confused:

Everyone that's worked with you....Rob, Steve, Clive. :D :lol:

SC Events
14-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Everyone that's worked with you....Rob, Steve, Clive. :D :lol:

...Me...:D :D :D :lol:

yourdj
14-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Possible £500 fine for the "ORGANISER"
See here---
http://www.limetechnologies.co.uk/

Thats on a noise limiter seller site :p - of course they will promote that :)

It would be tough imposing an on the spot fine. The venue would just have it logged against them in any liable action from the neighbour and you may be called as a witness.

I am sure you could justify and prove your case especially if it goes off five times on first dance (possibly ruining a wedding) and then prove you kept it at the required levels (I have a portable one that logs the noise).

If its an issue for you then thats a good move as the crowd do not understand and think its your equipment etc. :)

I like these ones (formula sound) - never had an issue with them:

http://noiselimiters.co.uk/buy/images/medium/products/sentry.jpg

funkymook
14-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I had an hotel duty mananger talk me through the sound limiter at a wedding the other week - he suddenly leaned over and rammed my master volume right up to demonstrate it going into the red (the limiter, not my mixer, though that did as well!). Thankfully no damage to my speakers but I did have to count to ten before politely advising him of the possible consequences of his actions!

CRAZY K
14-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I am sure you could justify and prove your case especially if it goes off five times on first dance (possibly ruining a wedding) and then prove you kept it at the required levels (I have a portable one that logs the noise).

If its an issue for you then thats a good move as the crowd do not understand and think its your equipment etc. :)

Toby thats the Event I WONT BE APPEARING AT in future.

There was a load of booing and catcalling first time the sound went off in Portsmouth because they thought my gear had broken down--

:Censored: hell!!!!!!!!!

I explained when the sound EVENTUALLY got restored after 5 minutes that it was the fault of the Local Council.

After that I got some respect and some laughs.

I can honestly say I wont be missing gigs like THAT ;)

Megamix
14-09-2010, 06:24 PM
My only nightmare with a sound limiter was with the mic tripping it every time - didn’t matter how low the volume was on the speakers. Thankfully never worked with one since

yourdj
14-09-2010, 10:02 PM
There was a load of booing and catcalling first time the sound went off in Portsmouth because they thought my gear had broken down

i always say it right at the start that there is a noise limiter and the sound may cut out.
The venues hate me doing it but why should i look like a pillock.

I had a band do it once and the bloke was really cool about it and did not panic. all he said was when back on "oh well looks like we tripped the noisometer - lets get on with the party"

he was a freddie mercury impressionist however.

CRAZY K
15-09-2010, 10:56 AM
i always say it right at the start that there is a noise limiter and the sound may cut out.

The venues hate me doing it but why should i look like a pillock.

I believe I did this Toby--but hey whats the memory span of an average punter--about minus 20 seconds:eek:

Incidentally THIS meter had to be MANUALLY switched on again which took an average of about 5 MINUTES every time--TALK AMONGST YOURSELVES.

Perhaps you can see why I was so :Censored: off

Plus I will never personally work with one again==although my wifes agency might take a view on it;)

surround sounds
15-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I did a place a few weeks ago (Dudley west midlands) where the traffic lights was hidden in a box where you could not see and if music went off it takes 20 mins to reset.What a nightmare

CRAZY K
15-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I did a place a few weeks ago (Dudley west midlands) where the traffic lights was hidden in a box where you could not see and if music went off it takes 20 mins to reset.What a nightmare

I have never fancied quoting for functions in Dudley.

I bet you just cant wait to go back there

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

surround sounds
15-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I have never fancied quoting for functions in Dudley.

I bet you just cant wait to go back there

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Ha HA
Its on my blacklist now.Do not want to do that venue again

simon1969
15-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Ive been lucky never had to work somewhere that has one up to now sounds like a lot of venues have them down south!!

CRAZY K
16-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Ive been lucky never had to work somewhere that has one up to now sounds like a lot of venues have them down south!!

Obviously depends on locations.

Anything near domestic dwellings is going to be a problem, especially with PC type Local Councils and whingeing neighbours who move into a house near a Pub or Hall and wonder why theres a loud noise going on every Friday and Saturday night.:confused:

I would add to my original post--I also wont be gigging at any locations where the management are monitoring the sound down to stupid levels ( you cant always know of course)

There is one not far from me where after 11pm--- just when you might get things really going--- you have to become an expensive transisistor radio. No bass allowed.

Again this ruined the Wedding I was playing at because every 2 minutes the request was --crank it up Crazy K

But I couldnt :mad: :mad: :mad:

I blame the management, they should say music ends at 11pm---but then they wouldnt get any bookings would they:eek:

Its ALWAYS THE MONEY:bang: :bang: :bang: