PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Statement I've just read...

Shakermaker Promotions
17-09-2010, 12:39 PM
No, not Rob's so don't worry.

In my area, a new local radio station is starting up. It's claiming to be 100% local and dedicated to the town. The station is on my Facebook friends list and every day for the past 2 months, it has been heavily plugging itself. Nothing wrong with that at all. I've met the bloke behind the whole thing and have even spoken about doing an Indie/Rock show sometime in the future.

Today, they wrote the following which I thought was outrageous...I've copied it word for word and want to know what you think firstly before I post their responses. I've also added my reply to them underneath which was the first one and a knee jerk reaction but I stand by it.

Posted today - " Here's a great idea for bars and pubs... As of next week every Friday and Saturday night from 7-1, Bizz Radio has got the House Party, 6 hours of COMMERCIAL FREE dance and feelgood songs... Why would you want to pay for a DJ when you can have a former Kiss FM DJ for FREE just by tuning in. Sorted!!"

My Reply - "So, put full time DJ's out of work? Luckily I don't play that genre of music but I'd be pretty :Censored: off if I did and a venue turned around and said "Sorry, don't need you anymore as we are going to turn the radio on"...No atmosphere, no interraction with the crowd etc...Silly statement sorry".

Over to you!

Vectis
17-09-2010, 12:43 PM
That's why we're overrun with digital jukeboxes ... not.

Punters aren't soft - they won't go to a bar that just plays the radio, no matter how good the programming, because they won't be able to help themselves throwing on jingles and playing the odd advert.

And have you ever played even a decent FM signal really loud? Frighteningly bad. DAB, possibly. FM, forget it.

Fear not.

DeckstarDeluxe
17-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah Gary nothing to worry yourself about as Martin has said.

Who wants to dance to the savestyle windows ad? lol

Mark Wild
17-09-2010, 12:45 PM
http://www.vectisradio.com/ VV will be sweeping that market shortly lol.

DeckstarDeluxe
17-09-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.vectisradio.com/ VV will be sweeping that market shortly lol.

Better than that Tamworth radio station we know of ;)

Shakermaker Promotions
17-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Guys, as I said in my reply to the guy... It doesn't affect me as I don't play the music that they will be playing and none of the places I play regularly do either. The places that DO play it are either the clubs or some of the bars and they usually have part-time DJ's anyway on roughly £150.00. Those places are packed aswell so it's not going to affect them either. It's just the audacity of a station telling people, bars, clubs etc what they should do that does my head in.

Here's the reply they gave me (there have been other comments from others more or less like mine from a DJ that does play what they intend to do).

" hi Gary... This is likely to be taken up by those pubs or bars that couldn't normally afford a DJ... I agree with the points you have raised that you don't get the same interraction as with SOME DJs but the option is there for the venue to... make their own choice.
Some DJs say nothing on the microphone at all, therefore what's the difference if they are already playing this same genre?!

I am sure you will agree that if a venue feels that a DJ could be replaced by switching on the radio, then the DJ isn't right for the venue in the first place..."

rob1963
17-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't understand why any pub would play a radio station through their system when most pubs these days have auto play hard drive systems which automatically select & play the music...with the advantage of not having radio station jingles, annoying adverts or the news at the top of the hour.

:confused:

Mark Wild
17-09-2010, 01:10 PM
What a great night, a pub with the radio on.

Steve the DJ
17-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I know nothing about this station but I know this M.O.

Let me guess...I assume Phil Simmonds has something to do with this? Or he may be using his real name Phil Wickham?

Charlie Brown
17-09-2010, 02:24 PM
You dark horse Martin!

I wouldn't about it whatsoever Gary.

It's a foolish thing for the radio station to say & I doubt ANYBODY will take note of it.

Shakermaker Promotions
17-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Steve - Not sure what you mean?
Charlie - PLEASE call me Gary...It's one R.

Charlie Brown
17-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Charlie - PLEASE call me Gary...It's one R.

Apologies. :o

Steve the DJ
17-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Steve - Not sure what you mean?

I have just checked the website and it is Phil behind it all, he is the same guy that does all the "Christmas Radio" and other ventures that get rid of DJs and use automated systems for pubs and hotels that have been discussed on here before.

I'll give you a call and explain as I know him well, he was the DJ at my Wedding!

Vectis
17-09-2010, 02:51 PM
You dark horse Martin!

Eh?

Nothing to do with me guv :p (for a change...). I don't have exclusive rights over the name; I think the Romans had it first :beer1:

Mark Wild
17-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Eh?

Nothing to do with me guv :p (for a change...). I don't have exclusive rights over the name; I think the Romans had it first :beer1:

VV stole his name from his local radio station. :sofa:

Charlie Brown
17-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Eh?

Ohhh! There's me thinking you had launched your own radio station!

Wouldn't surprise me. ;)

Corabar Steve
17-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Do pople still say "top of the hour"?

rob1963
17-09-2010, 05:03 PM

No, because there is no such thing as pople.

:p :D

BeerFunk
17-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but assuming the quality is good enough and there are no adverts etc, then I don't see the problem with it.

A lot of smaller bars these days have a programmed laptop playout behind the bar, and they seem to be busy enough. Obviously it wouldn't work so well if it was a larger venue.

'Putting DJs out of work' is not that great an argument against it, unfortunately.

DeckstarDeluxe
17-09-2010, 05:07 PM

You wanna hear what they say in the states.

Good afternoon people its quarter past the hour.......

Kernow
17-09-2010, 08:01 PM
No, because there is no such thing as pople.

:p :D

Course there is.........they're on a UK tour right now !!! ;)

:D :D :D

rob1963
17-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Course there is.........they're on a UK tour right now !!! ;)

:D :D :D

:Laugh:

SC Events
17-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Better than that Tamworth radio station we know of ;)

Ahh be quiet you... :boxer2: :moon: :D

Do people still say "top of the hour"?

Yes, when we are working out our back-timing to broadcast the news, we always say that the news is at the top of the hour and when it's finished, it starts a new hour...We don't usually say top of the hour on air, but if we are talking to people in the studio, we usually say it then.

Larry B Entertainment
18-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Cant see it catching on............

Wife : "Where are we going tonight ?"

Husband : "Oh, I thought we would just go to the pub to listen to the radio"

Doesnt sound very exciting does it lol

DeckstarDeluxe
18-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Cant see it catching on............

Wife : "Where are we going tonight ?"

Husband : "Oh, I thought we would just go to the pub to listen to the radio"

Doesnt sound very exciting does it lol

Well if the other choice is staying at home with her....... ;)

Larry B Entertainment
18-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Well if the other choice is staying at home with her....... ;)

Well, since you put it like that.................

Ecstatic Events
18-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Where is this posted Gary??? I could have some fun with a comment like that :)

Shakermaker Promotions
18-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Take a look on my profile mate and it's on there. It will say that I posted on such and such page.

PropellerHeadCase
18-09-2010, 06:56 PM
New Zealand radio stations have been playing commercial free club mixes for years - it's for teenage parties, not pubs and clubs.